• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV 5th Teaser Trailer (K', Benimaru, Robert)

qcf x2

Who do we ask to get Vanessa on the roster as dlc?

And Whip. SNK pls.

Robert looks awful imo, especially the animation on that leg kick. 3D is supposed to help make transitions look smoother, but that.... is awful, lol. Not feeling the stache but that's a minor thing. Beni looks better than ever. I'm ok w/ Kyo if they do something about his face. I know he's a prettyboy, but make him look like he's at least in his 20s, not his mid teens. A headband might help, idk.

I also agree w/ everyone that the backgrounds being lifeless throws things off, but I'm thinking they'll address that in due time. We def need cameo characters in the background, for example. Wouldn't be KoF otherwise.

BadWolf

We def need cameo characters in the background, for example. Wouldn't be KoF otherwise.

Maybe they aren't showing them yet because the full playable roster hasn't been revealed?

If you see a character in the background then that pretty much confirms that they aren't part of the roster.

qcf x2

Maybe they aren't showing them yet because the full playable roster hasn't been revealed?

If you see a character in the background then that pretty much confirms that they aren't part of the roster.

I agree, it was part of my point that I believe they'll address the backgrounds in general in due time.

Slaythe

I absolutely understand that some people don't care about graphics in a fighting game.

I don't agree but I understand.

But the people claiming this is actually good on that level have literally NO standards. None.

It's irritating, it's like arguing about a painting with blind people.

BadWolf

Not sure if accurate but the MMCafe article is saying that the new revealed characters will be playable at the show.

Any confirmed mains for you guys from the revealed characters so far?

For me it's Angel, she will definitely be on my team day 1.

Fandangox

Ralf is always my main, digging his new simpler design too. He is still built, but not on roids like on XII/XIII

I also always play Kensou, and he will probably be in.

The third one usually varies per game, so I'll see.

Sweet. :)

Now all we need are Clark, Goro Daimon, & Maxima revealed to complete 3 of the 16 teams at the very least.

Still not feeling the character art...KoF is known for its spritework. I get it, cost reasons, but they could have at least pushed more into a Xrd style.

That would also be expensive, too.

Amedo310

Not sure if accurate but the MMCafe article is saying that the new revealed characters will be playable at the show.

Any confirmed mains for you guys from the revealed characters so far?

For me it's Angel, she will definitely be on my team day 1.

Everyone. I'll play Kyo and Iori the most. I just need Shingo for a main team.

On a different note, I hope Robert's 03 fireball game, a.k.a. slower WK's blitz ball, makes a return. Also, XIII Robert's db~f+K should never come back. SNK, please give him either ex 98 version flying kicks or XI/NGBC rekka kicks.

ElTopo

Banned
I think the game will flop unless the budget is really low. And given the quality of the 3D models that might be the case but still.

PS4 only without PC support.

The 3D models look absolutely hideous which will dissuade the casual.

The competition is already fierce with SF5, Tekken 7, Guilty Gear, and whatever else might be coming. Plus the game has 50 characters which is a shit load of match ups to learn. Competitive players don't have the time to learn that many matchups unless it's a main game such as SF or Tekken.

The online is going to be terrible. I guarantee it. SNKP has an absolutely horrible track record when it comes to netcode. Plus they've yet to even talk about the netcode whereas Capcom brought up netcode pretty early on after the announcement of SF 5.

Finaika

I think the game will flop unless the budget is really low. And given the quality of the 3D models that might be the case but still.

The competition is already fierce with SF5, Tekken 7, Guilty Gear, and whatever else might be coming. Plus the game has 50 characters which is a shit load of match ups to learn. Competitive players don't have the time to learn that many matchups unless it's a main game such as SF or Tekken.

The online is going to be terrible. I guarantee it. SNKP has an absolutely horrible track record when it comes to netcode. Plus they've yet to even talk about the netcode whereas Capcom brought up netcode pretty early on after the announcement of SF 5.

It will be huge in South America & Asia.

There's plenty? 3D fighters with 50 character cast upon first release? Ok, tell me, which?

What do we have in the past decade to compare it to? UMVC3? SFxT?

How many fighters, even in the golden age, released with this many characters, and didn't re-use direct sprites and models from previous releases? How many companies have as little 3D model games out in this modern day and age, on consoles, as SNKP?

(Having previous work of this type would make it easier for the assets to look better on the same budget.)

The complaints about graphics are just get more and more ignorant as information about the game is released. There'd be much more to complain about if this game was releasing with the same "16 characters at first" ideal as SFV... or less!

... but it's not. Over 3x as many characters, on release. And for probably the same (or less!) price.

So even with the same budget, lets figure what SFV would look like with 1/3rd less model / texture / animation work per character as it does now. As much as people keep harping on XIV, it's overblown for the sake of sensationalism by now.

The internet is pretty silly with the fine line between "making excuses' and "being realistic about what you're seeing".

Well put.

SNK had to make some hard decisions and they made the right call. Visuals aren't on the high end but a friggin huge roster, redesigned characters, expanded move lists, return of far normals etc. is more than a fair trade.

Those people in particular who play KOF more than they look or talk about it should be very happy with the move to 3D.

Also let's not forget that the game has been in production only since April 2014 so time has been a huge factor as well.

Exactly. When will people realize that graphics aren't the be-all, end-all in terms of games? It's the gameplay that should matter.

You can have great graphics in a game all you want, but it doesn't matter if the gameplay is shit. And we've seen that happen plenty of times.

Whompa02

this game continues to impress me in how absolutely atrocious the aesthetic is. There's ZERO attention to stylization in the characters. They look like stock Poser 3d models.

I really hope they are fine tuning the visuals after they get the characters all established...they really should just delay it to work on the look of the game.

ElTopo

Banned
It will be huge in South America & Asia.

Not really. The cost of a PS4 is much more than a PC over in South America and parts of Asia (specifically China). That's just a fact. If they had crossplay then it would be different story but they're not focused on that.

They should just release it as a "F2P" browser-based game just like how Tencent released the UM titles in China. They'd probably make a fortune if they did that.

Amedo310

Not really. The cost of a PS4 is much more than a PC over in South America and parts of Asia (specifically China). That's just a fact. If they had crossplay then it would be different story but they're not focused on that.

They should just release it as a "F2P" browser-based game just like how Tencent released the UM titles in China. They'd probably make a fortune if they did that.

I think you meant more like XDZW. The KOF tencent games had micro-transactions for coins that allow to you play certain number of matches.

Mediking

SpeedyDapperBlackbear.gif

Chie and Chun-Li would be proud.

I still really dislike this game's art style, especially coming off of XIII's incredible aesthetic.

If the gameplay is good though, I'll still play it.

Hoping for Tizoc, Mr. Karate, and Yamazaki.

stn

I'm still going to buy this even though the art style looks plastic and shitty. Just terrible design for a majority of the characters announced so far. I'm actually scared of how they're going to mess up Terry, Geese, and the rest of the main characters.

Xav

Game continues to look like shit. I refuse to believe that the same people responsible for King of Fighters 13 are doing this game. I understand that SNK are making the jump to 3D but the art is so bad, everything is so dull and lifeless. Does 3D suddenly cause development teams everything they know when it comes to graphics?

Also, what's up with the 50 character roster? I'd rather have 20 well designed characters over 50 bland ones.

SNK really need to step it up. I'm concerned this game is being sent to die at this rate.

Fuz

Banned
Backgrounds are decent (let's not think about KoF '95 backgrounds...), but characters look like crap.
And Robert's pedo mustache is atrocious.
*sigh*

Also, what's up with the 50 character roster? I'd rather have 20 well designed characters over 50 bland ones.
This. Make less characters but design them properly. Give the right priorities to your resources.
You can add 30 more later as DLCs for what I care, but make them look good.

Neoxon

This was described as a PS4 Console Exclusive at PSX, so a PC version may come in the future.

Game continues to look like shit. I refuse to believe that the same people responsible for King of Fighters 13 are doing this game. I understand that SNK are making the jump to 3D but the art is so bad, everything is so dull and lifeless. Does 3D suddenly cause development teams everything they know when it comes to graphics?

SNK really need to step it up. I'm concerned this game is being sent to die at this rate.

They did that with 12 and got absolutely destroyed because of it. Part of kof's appeal is the large rosters. If you want a good looking fighter with a low # of characters you have plenty of options. Me? I'll take my "shitty" graphics and 50 characters. Now I see why so many devs put all their efforts into graphics these days....

Do you want 16 awesome models or 50 terrible models?
16 awesome no question. I get people are getting annoyed by the graphical complaints, but this looks ugly, simple as that.

Users going out of there way to explain why, the trade offs, etc...the replies aren't going to stop until the game isn't ugly anymore. You are looking at two characters on the screen for goodness sake lol. Expectations have simply risen far above what these early trailers are showing.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
We've known the game is going to look like shit for 4 months now, yet that's all anyone talks about.

It's not going to get better, if it's a deal breaker move on. This discussion is so tired already.

delSai

They did that with 12 and got absolutely destroyed because of it. Part of kof's appeal is the large rosters. If you want a good looking fighter with a low # of characters you have plenty of options. Me? I'll take my "shitty" graphics and 50 characters. Now I see why so many devs put all their efforts into graphics these days....
Same for me, if this game had i dunno, 12 characters or whatever i wouldn't care about it at all.

We've known the game is going to look like shit for 4 months now, yet that's all anyone talks about.

It's not going to get better, if it's a deal breaker move on. This discussion is so tired already.
And the defense force is also getting tireing. You can exit the thread just like you want others to. Or is wanting a game to look more visually beautiful too shallow? "It's all about the gameplay, I'm a real fighting game fan, hoorah!!! "

-_-

It's fans of this game that are likely the most frequent complainers because they want it to be good and compete with the other titles.

Amedo310

16 awesome no question. I get people are getting annoyed by the graphical complaints, but this looks ugly, simple as that.

Users going out of there way to explain why, the trade offs, etc...the replies aren't going to stop until the game isn't ugly anymore. You are looking at two characters on the screen for goodness sake lol. Expectations have simply risen far above what these early trailers are showing.

Sure. They can complain, but when people come in and troll others for the liking game? Come on. Those guys are just assholes at that point.

Yeah no kidding, you'd think after 8 threads on the game everyone would've realized it by now. This is probably 1 of the games I look forward to the most this year, yet I hate coming into threads about it because all everyone seems to want to talk about are the graphics and nothing else.

And the defense force is also getting tireing. You can exit the thread just like you want others to. Or is wanting a game to look more visually beautiful too shallow? "It's all about the gameplay, I'm a real fighting game fan, hoorah!!! "

-_-

It's fans of this game that are likely the most frequent complainers because they want it to be good and compete with the other titles.

That doesn't make any sense. The people who actually want to discuss the game should leave? I get the graphics complaints, and they are valid, but there's not much discussion to be had there. We've literally had this same exact discussion in every thread about this game and it never goes anywhere. Like can we talk about something else for once?

Sure. They can complain, but when people come in and troll others for the liking game? Come on. Those guys are just assholes at that point.
I haven't seen that as much as any other thread, I've seen the defense force be about as equally rude regardless.

I get both sides, and honestly if I was more of fan, I would be on the complaining side more, I want all to characters AND for the visuals to be amazing. Unreasonable? Not to me. But my point is, the discussion is what it is because of SNK and how the game looks, no reason to knock what aspects of a fighter people are most interested in.

That doesn't make any sense. The people who actually want to discuss the game should leave? I get the graphics complaints, and they are valid, but there's not much discussion to be had there. We've literally had this same exact discussion in every thread about this game and it never goes anywhere. Like can we talk about something else for once?
That's BS, it's not the way forums go, you can't will the narrative of a thread because you feel like one side is being overstated. If graphics keep popping up, then maybe that's just the devs fault.

That's BS, it's not the way forums go, you can't will the narrative of a thread because you feel like one side is being overstated. If graphics keep popping up, then maybe that's just the devs fault.

I'm not trying to will anything, I'm just point out how pointless it is to keep bring up the graphics. People can talk about all they want but it does not make for good discussion as all it does is turn the threads into petty arguements. What discussion can be gained from talking about the graphics other then "they suck".

Yeah no kidding, you'd think after 8 threads on the game everyone would've realized it by now. This is probably 1 of the games I look forward to the most this year, yet I hate coming into threads about it because all everyone seems to want to talk about are the graphics and nothing else.

I agree with both of you. What we need is for a moderator to start banning people that keeps complaining about how bad the graphics are.

We all get it. There's no need to keep beating a dead horse about it.

Top Bottom