• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV 5th Teaser Trailer (K', Benimaru, Robert)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
That's BS, it's not the way forums go, you can't will the narrative of a thread because you feel like one side is being overstated. If graphics keep popping up, then maybe that's just the devs fault.

But there is no narrative.

It looks like absolute festering garbage. We've known this for 4 months. It is not going to get better. What you're seeing is what we are getting. It's a go nowhere circular discussion that's wildly played out at this point.

That's BS, it's not the way forums go, you can't will the narrative of a thread because you feel like one side is being overstated. If graphics keep popping up, then maybe that's just the devs fault.
While this is true i also dont think its 100% on dev either. Theres been instances where graphics talk has encompassed entire threads, multiple of them at that to where we need actual dedicated threads just for graphics(witcher 3&fallout 4). In some cases some arent even concerned for the game and just come in to say something about the graphics never to be seen again in the thread im sure it gets really tiring.

vg260

We've known the game is going to look like shit for 4 months now, yet that's all anyone talks about.

It's not going to get better, if it's a deal breaker move on. This discussion is so tired already.

It is in development, though, and people are hoping it improves with each showing. It's not impossible. If the game was already out, I think the discussion would have less merit.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
#WhensTerry
#Whens

Oh man, hope we get Garou Terry!

GooeyHeat

how you gonna put ralf in a trailer and just have him get beat on instead of doing a galactica phantom or st.c
He busted out a Galactica Phantom in the last trailer.

Nice to see more old favorites but honestly I want to see some brand-new faces soon. I wanna know if SNK's character designers still have the chops they used to.

The only thing I'll say about the graphics is that King of Fighters 12 was panned for having a tiny roster despite looking so good. KOF is kind of in a no-win situation because the series is built around having a buhmillion characters. They either get 12 (great graphics, small cast), 14 (bad graphics, large cast), or 13 (great graphics, large cast, but development time and cost was way too high to keep it up). I'm just glad this game exists, though I do hope to hear something about online soon (other than the existence of party play).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Not sure if accurate but the MMCafe article is saying that the new revealed characters will be playable at the show.

Any confirmed mains for you guys from the revealed characters so far?

For me it's Angel, she will definitely be on my team day 1.

Leona until she proves to be more trouble than I can put off with, and needs to be rotated off of my team, lol. No Chin and Maxima here yet, sooo....

Never honestly got solid with Angel, so I'd kinda look forward to trying. I need my crazy grappling babes, and we don't really have any of that yet...

I'm not trying to will anything, I'm just point out how pointless it is to keep bring up the graphics. People can talk about all they want but it does not make for good discussion as all it does is turn the threads into petty arguements. What discussion can be gained from talking about the graphics other then "they suck".
Agreed, it is pointless, but such is the nature of a forum discussion. I personally am looking to pick up the game, 3 on 3 that doesn't involve tagging is pretty appealing to me. But 50 characters at launch seems crazy, do all of them really play that differently?

It looks like absolute festering garbage. We've known this for 4 months. It is not going to get better. What you're seeing is what we are getting. It's a go nowhere circular discussion that's wildly played out at this point.
Well that's sad, but I didn't know it was that prevalent.

While this is true i also dont think its 100% on dev either. Theres been instances where graphics talk has encompassed entire threads, multiple of them at that to where we need actual dedicated threads just for graphics(witcher 3&fallout 4). In some cases some arent even concerned for the game and just come in to say something about the graphics never to be seen again in the thread im sure it gets really tiring.
Agreed, if they keep popping up over and over again, no judgment from my end on the folks that want to call that out. Indeed, it is ridiculous to simply come to a thread to annoy posters.

I don't follow these threads as much, but I do hope the few comments I saw of "small" incremental improvement keep up, I mean that one game looked drastically different just from adding cel shading. So I do hope Sinatar is not spot on with his assessment of the graphics.

qcf x2

Agreed, it is pointless, but such is the nature of a forum discussion. I personally am looking to pick up the game, 3 on 3 that doesn't involve tagging is pretty appealing to me. But 50 characters at launch seems crazy, do all of them really play that differently?

Have you ever played KoF before? Huge rosters and 3 v 3 without tagging is what KoF is historically about. When they deviate, it's usually a mistake. And yeah most of the characters have fairly distinct play styles; you're not gonna have Ryu/Ken/Akuma/Evil Ryu/Eviler Blue Akuma x10 and call it a day. There's a lot of variety, and ironically that's the biggest reason a lot of us can accept subpar graphics.

Finaika

The game is looking better with each new trailer.

it will improve until release and this is probably not going to be the only version if they're serious about it. just wait a little longer if you can't bear to look at it.

Momentary

Banned
Gai Tendo will never see the light of day again in a KOF game. If I had the money I'd buy the right to Buriki One just to get it off of SNK's hands. I'd also buy Ryo's look in that game and slap a different name to him. Love Hiroaki's designs in that game. What a damn waste. At least Hiroaki has gotten out of the SNK drag. Him and Shinkiro definitely deserved better.

Overside

Banned
SpeedyDapperBlackbear.gif

That mustachiod marauder is kicking the cheese whiz out of that poor mans genitals.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
game looks perfectly fine to me, looks smooth as fuck now.

the wonders of 60fps.

Have you ever played KoF before? Huge rosters and 3 v 3 without tagging is what KoF is historically about. When they deviate, it's usually a mistake. And yeah most of the characters have fairly distinct play styles; you're not gonna have Ryu/Ken/Akuma/Evil Ryu/Eviler Blue Akuma x10 and call it a day. There's a lot of variety, and ironically that's the biggest reason a lot of us can accept subpar graphics.
You forgot Dan Sakura sagat gouken violent Ken and several other shotos or shoto likes.

BadWolf

KOFXIV - 4° Teaser Vs 5° Teaser + New Gameplay Comparison

Also, from SRK:

K i made this image because people are going little over board to troll the KOF XIV.
KOFXIVSFV_zps9jmexuzj.png

Please take a note that KOF XIV is still in the under development.

And a rumor from reddit:

Just have some small info I can share:

-New trailers planned one before Evo and another specifically for Evo.

-Cinematic trailer will be highlighting Terry Bogard, Geese Howard, Newcomers, and be completely different from the others. As in no "Yagami you basard" intro then Kyo and Iori fight exactly the same as every trailer then revealing new characters.

-SNKP will have a booth at Evo this year with the game playable. It will be a newer build with more than 6 characters.

-98FE and the PC Port of 97 are being looked into for a PS4 Release.

-An exhibition is being planned for Evo as well as an announcement of a KoF League similar to the ones that Capcom and Team Ninja have been doing.

KORNdoggy

Shitty photoshop filter and the alternate version with more saturation. I really hope they start messing around with shaders later.

they need to do something with it. it looks awful visually. unless it's a budget release in which case i guess they're doing the best they can.

Ushay

It's probably already been said, but this game looks so diluted compared to games in the same genre.

Damn, KoF was the shit back in the day.. This looks like shit.

Whompa02

That picture of SFV and KOF14 doesn't get it.

The difference is SFV has a style with personality. It's not a matter of polygons. It's a matter of style. The style of KOF14 looks like the most generic and flat style, that in no way resembles the stylization of the franchise. There's no life in KOF14's modeling. It's just BASIC. It needs something to give it some punch. Right now It just looks like free models from some shady Poser3d website.

BadWolf

Wonder if the Taiwanese folks will be as kind with footage uploads as the people at PSX.

I'm guessing a lot of it will be uploaded to Youku or whatever? Hope the build has more characters than PSX.

Tizoc

Terry vs. Geese in a KoF game.
There's a great novelty to it, but it's something that is doubly hype if there was a new Fatal Fury game out @o@

But hey Geese's return would be boss in an actual canon-like game :3

Oh and I just realized: Geese did the KKZ a year before Gouki did; granted it was in the intro cinematic for wild ambition but hey it counts!

BadWolf

Terry vs. Geese in a KoF game.
There's a great novelty to it, but it's something that is doubly hype if there was a new Fatal Fury game out @o@

If Geese is in then I'm guessing they will be holding out Rock for a possible new Fatal Fury/MOTW.

Wouldn't make sense for Rock to be in KOF since Geese didn't die in its timeline. And Geese can't appear in a MOTW 2 since he's dead in that timeline. Heh, works out nicely.

Tizoc

If Geese is in then I'm guessing they will be holding out Rock for a possible new Fatal Fury/MOTW.

Wouldn't make sense for Rock to be in KOF since Geese didn't die in its timeline. And Geese can't appear in a MOTW 2 since he's dead in that timeline. Heh, works out nicely.

Actually my dream Fatal Fury 25th anniversary game is a full on remake of Wild Ambition utilzing ideas from Garou and Real Bout XP
And besides, Nightmare Geese

BadWolf

Actually my dream Fatal Fury 25th anniversary game is a full on remake of Wild Ambition utilzing ideas from Garou and Real Bout XP
And besides, Nightmare Geese

I'd rather a MOTW 2 personally.

What is that supposed to show? Also, the first quote links to a NeoGAF post from 2008.

Just a side by side comparison and some color correction on Beni.

(I copied the quote from SRK, the numbers from there are probably matching with some 2008 Gaf post).

Momentary

Banned
I hope they plan on doing some extensive play testing for 50 characters to be on the roster all at one time.

Tekken gets away with large console rosters because they usually stay in the arcades for a year or 2 after release... sometimes even longer (Tekken 6).

Seems kind of overwhelming and they still seem to be playing on the heart strings of their small exisiting fanbase who care nothing about the game other than having everyone in there.

I will be surprised to see this at EVO next year. I want KOF to succeed, but I don't see this being anything great.

RedAssedApe

Banned
hope whatever they show at evo is much improved.

the improvements so far have been minor at best. facial models still look bad. i'd rather they work on getting those right/looking like the characters from previous games instead of working on jean textures or a leather jacket texture or whatever else they've been improving between these trailers.

TreIII

From Dreamcancel:

They will probably start doing actual trailers instead of teasers when the game is closer to the final look, I'm guessing.

Hopefully so.

Then perhaps discussion will shift back over to something more compelling, like how the game doesn't match up to *insert favorite KOF game here*.

qcf x2

From Dreamcancel:

They will probably start doing actual trailers instead of teasers when the game is closer to the final look, I'm guessing.

Yeah, the release date is still far off. They're basically showing us the rough drafts of characters. I have faith that the final product will look a lot better. Not like... good. But a lot better than it does now. Improving the backgrounds and lighting can make a big difference.

BadWolf

Hopefully so.

Then perhaps discussion will shift back over to something more compelling, like how the game doesn't match up to *insert favorite KOF game here*.

lol, too true.

Really hope the Taipei build has characters that weren't playable at PSX so we can get some more gameplay discussion going.

Speaking of game play, here's what Keoma (the awesome Abel player from Capcom Cup) said about XIV during his reddit AMA:

I got to play it at PSX. KOF XIV felt better than XIII imo. The animations are still bad but it feels like KOF 98 to me. It definitely has potential to become the best competitive KOF ever.

He's apparently an old school KOF fan. Overall I think the gameplay impressions both from new and old fans have been very positive so far.

Yeah, the release date is still far off. They're basically showing us the rough drafts of characters. I have faith that the final product will look a lot better. Not like... good. But a lot better than it does now. Improving the backgrounds and lighting can make a big difference.

Yup.

I hope they plan on doing some extensive play testing for 50 characters to be on the roster all at one time.

Tekken gets away with large console rosters because they usually stay in the arcades for a year or 2 after release... sometimes even longer (Tekken 6).

Seems kind of overwhelming and they still seem to be playing on the heart strings of their small exisiting fanbase who care nothing about the game other than having everyone in there.

I will be surprised to see this at EVO next year. I want KOF to succeed, but I don't see this being anything great.

KOF doesn't exactly need EVO to be relevant. Series is very popular in other countries/regions like South America & Asia.

Top Bottom