• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Knick - Season 2 - Fridays on Cinemax

Mdk7

Stunning finale: i wish they would renew the series as it's my favorite ever along with GoT and i already miss it, yet at the same time i think they should leave it as it is, as the ending was glorious.

- Vulture TV Podcast
Matt Zoller Seitz talks to Clive Owen about his work on “The Knick,” as we anxiously await news on the future of his role on the Cinemax drama. Plus: Matt, Margaret, and Gazelle read your emails, debating historical accuracy in television storytelling, whether the line between movies and television is irrelevant in a binge-centric ecosystem, the complicated legacy of voiceover, and more.

Spoilers:
Aquarius 4:30 - 5:20
Masters of Sex 5:20 - 5:42
Boardwalk Empire 5:42 - 6:19
Hannibal 10:50 - 11:11
Fresh Off the Boat 19:20 - 19:34
Fargo 19:40 - 20:25
Transparent 20:25 - 21:12
Felicity 26:00 - 26:51
Deadwood 27:20 - 27:57
The Knick 42:15 - 52:48

Finally got some time to finish the last few episodes, wow really terrific stuff. Soderbergh is endlessly creative in his visual storytelling.

element

Ending was amazing.

Soderbergh is a monster. It is amazing that he continues to create such amazing stories on film or tv. The fact that he does EVERYTHING, director, cinematographer and editor. Seriously look up Peter Andrews and Mary Ann Bernard. Insane that he was going to "retire" back in 2009.

Just finished the finale. So is there supposed to be a season 3? Or its up in the air? If SS isn't directing season 3 I dont really think I could trust trying to watch it.

Just finished the finale. So is there supposed to be a season 3? Or its up in the air? If SS isn't directing season 3 I dont really think I could trust trying to watch it.

According to Soderbergh in an interview, the idea is Jack Amiel & Michael Begler will write another story and partner with another filmmaker for a new two season story. Because of that structure, it's not actually renewed yet and essentially goes into development in Cinemax as a new show (they have ordered a script for a season "three").

- Variety: Steven Soderbergh on ‘The Knick’ Season Three: ‘I Would Like to Keep Going’
Season two of “The Knick” ended with a dramatic cliffhanger — leaving the main character, Dr. John Thackery (Clive Owen), seemingly dead on the operating table.

Now, executive producer Steven Soderbergh tells Variety exclusively he’s actively exploring the show’s future with the show’s writers.

“It was always conceived in two-year chunks,” he says. “The writers met yesterday to talk about what year three and four would look like — when would it take place, who are the characters. We always imagined every two years we would annihilate what came before and start over. And that’s what we’re doing now.”

Soderbergh says he wants the show to continue, and that the network is waiting to hear his plans for the future. “I would like to keep going. I always thought of it as a six-year thing if we were allowed to continue.
I hope we can figure it out. I hope we come up with something that I look at it and go, OK, I want to spend another two years of my life on that. Because that’s really the question. It’s an intense experience — rewarding, but I want to make sure we want to keep the bar at the same height or higher.”

As for the show’s star, Clive Owen, Soderbergh says the door is open on his potential return to his show as well. “I don’t know yet,” says Soderbergh. “There’s been a lot of discussion about if we switch time periods can we still bring back the cast but have them play other people. Everything’s on the table.”

TheOddOne

- Variety: Steven Soderbergh on ‘The Knick’ Season Three: ‘I Would Like to Keep Going’.
“I would like to keep going. I always thought of it as a six-year thing if we were allowed to continue. I hope we can figure it out. I hope we come up with something that I look at it and go, OK, I want to spend another two years of my life on that. Because that’s really the question. It’s an intense experience — rewarding, but I want to make sure we want to keep the bar at the same height or higher.”
Edit: Got Cornball'd.

Edit: Got Cornball'd.
PaZcUU8.gif

Grinchy

Banned
I loved these two seasons. I don't know if I would be as interested in the show without Dr. Thackery, but I also don't know if I'd be as satisfied with it if they decided that he's still alive. It's a tough one.

UrbanRats

I'm glad they are entertaining the idea of bringing Thackery back, possibly. Though I actually wouldn't mind seeing The Knick in a brand new time period.

This is an interesting choice they've got to make.

Ew, no.

I mean, more Clive Owen is always good, but it'd ruin the best moment of Season 2.

Ew, no.

I mean, more Clive Owen is always good, but it'd ruin the best moment of Season 2.
Well like they said it's likely that him returning would just be because they'd have the cast playing different characters ala AHS right? I'm actually very open to that idea. Given the strong casting choices of a bunch of unknowns for the first two seasons though I'd like to see them start fresh with a whole new cast as well but only to see what other amazing actors they could pull out of their hat

LifEndz

What a finale. I actually kept checking to see how much time was remaining because I was scared they wouldn't have time to address everything. Had to read this thread after the final episode finished because the episode felt like a series finale. So happy it'll return for a season 3 and the whole refresh every two years sounds interesting, but damn is it going to be hard to build around a show without a character like Thackery. A+ show. HBO and Cinemax continue to reach heights other shows can only dream of.

Only wish every show did a finale like Six Feet Under. I know we can assume what happened, but damnit, I want to see it!

LaneDS

Saw the finale tonight. Made the mistake of looking to see if we were getting season three before having seen it, and the article I read spoiled the episode for me. Certainly diminished the impact, but still really enjoyed it. I'm hopeful for more but if it ended where it did, that'd be pretty great too.

Fairly certain there isn't a show on television with better soundtracks than both of these seasons had.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Posting blindly since I just started the new season. So far the first episode was damn fucking solid, if not better than most of the first season (which is no small feat). The music during that wrasslin match was incredible, but so was Tack's homemade surgery on that woman.

I swear to God I was noping THE HARDEST I've ever noped when he pulled her nose outwards so he could work on it. Jesus.

Edit: This fucking show

toVeeeg.gif

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Episode 7 with the after-party revelation about Algie's role in the hospital and then the curare operation had me devastated. This show, man.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm up to Ep6.

Barrow really is that asshole who thinks he's much smarter than he really is. He's going to be hung out to dry by that prostitute and Ping, isn't he?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I finished watching the finale an hour ago or so and I can't state with words how I feel. What a monumental episode to end this season, if not the show. I strongly feel that it may have been one of the most solid, harrowing and dense episodes in recent history. Most other shows would have happily and neatly tied up every storyline around one, maybe two characters at most, but the finale went on to confirm that The Knick is unlike any other show on TV.

Let's stop for a minute to think about how much stuff The Knick crammed in just a few minutes of TV:

• Thackery, out of his head and possessed by the same madness that turned Christiansen to suicide, kills himself for the final trick in one of the most harrowing and tense scenes I remember, further cementing Clive Owen's reputation as one of the most talented actors currently working on any medium. His final seconds were just breathtaking.
  • Algernon seemingly loses an eye, but on happier news receives an important inheritance and resumes Thack's work with drug and alcohol addicts.
  • Barrow, the rankest, slimiest turd ever squeezed out, continues to elevate his station. It's not a happy ending, however. Playing too much with the x-rays machine laves him with cancer and he set himself out for a most terrible and miserable death as he conceded control of his home and personal finances to Junia, who will probably throw him out into the street like the rat that he is at her fist chance.
  • Cornelia yields. Finding herself between a loveless marriage and the fact that her brother is a stone cold killer, ships herself out to Australia to start anew. Sad finale for an otherwise positive character.
  • The formerly frail nurse Elkins outs herself as one of the most calloused and manipulative characters of the entire show. Which is to say something.
  • Henry literally gets away with murder, not to mention a hefty inheritance. That bastard played the game and won.
  • My sweet, sweet Chickering failed to save Thack despite his best efforts. Hopefully he doesn't get eaten away by the same sense of guilt and arrogance that got his beloved mentor killed.
  • Cleary turns out to be one of the show's biggest sociopaths despite being portrayed as a well meaning brute. I'm lost for words. To the show's credit, his conclusion didn't feel like character assassination, but a sincere gut punch. He was never a good person as he pretends (and probably believes) at church, but a likeable bastard willing to do what it takes to get what he wants. He's not that different from Elkins.
  • Sister Harriet marries to the person who betrayed her trust, got her defroked and inflicted her the most pain. Jesus.
  • Gallinger's borderline criminal and totally inhumane behaviour was not only unpunished, but rewarded. Now he will spread the gospel of eugenics around the word, helping to mutilate millions of people and erase entire communities while he has perfect babies with her wife's sister. Evil triumphed.

That was quite probably the most complex and open ended yet fully satisfying finale since The Wire's. What a send-off.

Even if S2 was considerably uneven and even forced at times, the way they ended the season elevated it to new heights. I'm not even mad that Gallinger, Barrow and Henry got away with what they did or that Thack's dead may prevent us from seeing more of Clive Owen owning every scene like the boss that he is. I'm just happy I was able to experience his glorious piece of TV, as short lived as it may turn out to be. I also feel necessary to highlight the incredible score by Cliff Martinez, who totally killed Thack's ride into the sunset with an atypical yet intense composition that perfectly glued one of the most memorable scenes of the entire show.

Funky Papa donned the red.
End times.

Esme7Dp.gif

LaneDS

That's a great write-up. I actually totally missed that Barrow gave himself cancer, which seems well-earned. Eagerly awaiting news on whether we'll get a third season.

Is there any conceivable way they can pull a "Thack's not dead" without it being received as a joke by viewers? I feel like the answer is of course a solid "no way" but man, there's that part of me that doesn't want to say goodbye to the character after two seasons despite knowing how hokey it would be if he's somehow still alive.

That's a great write-up. I actually totally missed that Barrow gave himself cancer, which seems well-earned. Eagerly awaiting news on whether we'll get a third season.

Is there any conceivable way they can pull a "Thack's not dead" without it being received as a joke by viewers? I feel like the answer is of course a solid "no way" but man, there's that part of me that doesn't want to say goodbye to the character after two seasons despite knowing how hokey it would be if he's somehow still alive.

Got done watching, and I think Thackery is alive. Remember that one episode where a rabbit was dead and Bertie injected it with Adrenaline? The rabbit jumped out and started running. It was never attempted on humans before but I think Bertie saved him.

Seeing it all laid out like that in that write up, it really drives home how fucking relentless and brutal this show is, just like that era.
Evil goes unpunished and decent people get fucked.

LaneDS

The more I think about the show, I really appreciate how for for me season one started really strong and started to dip a bit as it went on. Season two improved over the course of its run and ended so wonderfully. It is a shame how few people seem to care about the show.

Top Bottom