• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Knick - Season 2 - Fridays on Cinemax

Jarnet87

It could be Barrow but I think it's too big of an act for him. hes always looking to skim off the top and fly under the radar, plus we've seen his plans always blow up in his face lol.

UrbanRats

Yeah, I was wondering why he didn't just drop down the same place Cornelia did. He probably would have broken his legs but at least he would have had a better chance than jumping from the second floor. (unless he really was guilty and just wanted to die)

Better yet, he could've secured the ladder using all those planks and use that to descend to safety without even a sprained ankle.

Lamel

Banned
It could be Barrow but I think it's too big of an act for him. hes always looking to skim off the top and fly under the radar, plus we've seen his plans always blow up in his face lol.

I'm beginning to think it was more Henry. If he was indeed behind killing spade, then I think murder isn't past him. But it does seem like such a drastic thing to do.

I don't think Robertson actually wanted to commit suicide, there is nor real indication of that.

Also can we talk about how awesome thack was just roaming around Panama or wherever with his donkey.

Alpende

Yeah, I was wondering why he didn't just drop down the same place Cornelia did. He probably would have broken his legs but at least he would have had a better chance than jumping from the second floor. (unless he really was guilty and just wanted to die)

I would have told Cornelia to put the ladder against the wall, hang off the ledge and try to grab the ladder while falling. That'll probably hurt but it's better than burning and dying.

CyReN

I know the reasons are kinda cheap, but in the panic of everything you aren't thinking 100% straight.

Personally when watching it I was wondering why he just didn't drop down to the ladder that was used, broke a leg or ribs but his daughter could of helped him out.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Finale tonight!

This Is All We Are

In the Season 2 finale, Thackery ignores Zinberg's advice at Mt. Sinai and undertakes a risky, alternative course of action; Cornelia confronts Henry about the family business; Barrow's actions at the hospital construction site are called into question; Gallinger ponders a job opportunity; and Cleary steadfastly refuses to give up on Harriet.

ezekial45

Banned
I'll be missing the episode tonight, dat Star Wars is calling, but I hope they'll end the season (series?) on a high note.

I really hope we'll see another season.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oh man, that certainly felt like it could be the series finale.

Thackery... :(

But Bertie wearing the white shoes... it all came full circle to the pilot.

This was bleak as fuck. Cleary and Henry reveal their respectively monstrous secrets. Barrow escapes (for now). Cornelia deciding she can't live in the country anymore. Gallinger off to promote eugenics in Germany. Algernon's eye seemingly beyond repair.

Soderbergh provided The Playlist a whole slew of "useless" technical statistics on the production of S2.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, what a way to end the show if that's how it's going to go.

" Total amount of time spent editing: 235 hours, 26 minutes, 10 seconds (Season One: 465 hours, 30 minutes, 50 seconds)"

This still amazes me. Even though they seemed to get the workflow down, that's still insane. Particularly of Soderbergh was doing it all.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Wow

AMAZING finally, the surgery had me shook lol, c'mon Thack...

but man, Show of the year again, fuck the Emmy's

Sanjuro

I read a user comment somewhere along the lines of we have a masterpiece finale, and nothing to celebrate.

I know people hated Gallinger. I just didn't see any scenario where him failing would bring satisfaction to the bleak narrative, or Edwards any resolve.

Barrow's end is nothing but a punch line.

This episode. Fuuuu

ezekial45

Banned
Oh my god, that was a fucking brutal episode. Jesus, I'm in shock. That last surgery made me fucking sick.

I'm really bummed out that they ended the season/series on this note. It's so fucking bleak, and I'm sad that this is the end of things. It really did feel like the end of the series, even though they seemed to have left some wiggle room with Bertie getting the Adrenaline needle, and not showing the resolution to that. They never said he died, but I'd imagine he'd be a fucking mess after that.

Wow, incredible finale. It looks like the show could definitely continue if they really wanted it to, but that serves as a bittersweet, but fitting ending.

Goddamn that final surgery though...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, I could definitely see that being used as a series finale. I hope it isn't though, there are still places for the show to go. That surgery was so hard to watch, everyone in surgical theater being on edge too made it all the more thrilling.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Lamel

Banned
:( Thack...

Bertie ran for the adrenaline, he had to. I liked how they focused on the white shoes, bertie can carry on thack's legacy if he is indeed gone.

So sad for edwards too. Also wtf cleary, god damn.

Such a great, powerful episode.

jerry113

Banned
Watching now.

This is by far the shittiest idea by Thackery thus far.

What could go wrong?

This is crazy.

NOOOO......... HOLY SHIT STOPP THACK WHY

Get the fuck outta here!

TheOddOne

- Variety: ‘The Knick’: Cinemax Orders Script for Season 3 Premiere.
While a decision for a renewal is still undetermined, a third season of “The Knick” is under consideration and negotiations are underway. Insiders close to the show tell Variety that a script for the season premiere has been ordered, in addition to a season outline. Series creators Michael Begler and Jack Amiel are both set to return as exec producers and writers, should Cinemax order up season 3. Cinemax declined to comment.
- Yahoo: 'The Knick' Postmortem: Clive Owen on Thackery's Risky Surgery and the Future of the Series.
- EW: The Knick finale: Clive Owen Q&A.
- A|V Club: Is this it for The Knick?
- THR: 'The Knick' Boss Talks Thackery's Fateful Decision and Series Future.

Holy shit, I wasn't following news about this show so I went in just assuming it's a season finale

Then they drop that last 10 minutes on me AND I come in here with rumblings of this being the end of the series. Wow :(

Dan

It's interesting that Owen is playing it a tad coy in the interviews, not completely committing to saying Thackery died. I'm not sure I would like them walking that back, however, if that's a temptation.

Did you see that President Obama just said The Knick was his favorite TV show of the year?
He’s a great guy. [Laughs.] He’s got very good taste, he’s very smart, and he’s a great guy.

Do you watch much TV? Did you have a favorite TV show this year?
To be honest with you, I don’t. I watch very, very little TV. I watch film, and I watch sport — football. The only TV that I watch, and I’ve seen every single episode, is Curb Your Enthusiasm. I love it.

Yes! Let’s hope that comes back someday. You could be on it!
I would love that.
Clive Owen in the next season of Curb, make it happen, Larry.

jett

D-Member
Dat Henry heel turn. He was just a missing a mustache he could twirl.

What a great episode, I was on the edge of my seat at the end. Jesusfuck, Thackery, you crazy person you. I think I've had enough of Thack though. Where else can you go with this guy? He seemingly killed himself while operating on himself, high as fuck.

I wouldn't mind a third season focused on Bertie, since I like the dude and the setting a lot, but if this is the end, so be it.

great episode!! last 15-20 mins were intense. Thacks operation scene was so well done. I really love this show. everything about it. I love Soderderghs style. hoping we get more, but can see it ending here.

UrbanRats

Holy shit, I wasn't following news about this show so I went in just assuming it's a season finale

Then they drop that last 10 minutes on me AND I come in here with rumblings of this being the end of the series. Wow :(

Same, the fuck.

On the episode itself, didn't like how rushed the heel turn for Henry was, and the Gallinger goes to meet Hitler Assassin's Creed style shit, but i liked the rest, and that final operation was 10/10 stuff.

Honestly, i'm always for series ending on a high note, for example i'm happy Banshee is closing next year.
However in this case, it really feels premature, the show still has a lot of potential, and i don't feel it hit its high note yet.
Characters like Algenon and Bertie have a lot of directions they could go still, even with Thack dead.

Infact, many moments in this season felt rushed through, and it could've used a bit more time to develop.

Saty

Yeah, didn't like the Henry reveal but the rest was great. Wasn't expecting the second half. What was Edwards reading? Can't ever make out this cursive writing. And they didn't address the little girl Thack had visions of, did they?

UrbanRats

Yeah, didn't like the Henry reveal but the rest was great. Wasn't expecting the second half. What was Edwards reading? Can't ever make out this cursive writing. And they didn't address the little girl Thack had visions of, did they?

Abigail's log of her sessions with the alcoholic guy, and the girl was the kid that died in S1, IIRC.

Turin

Banned
Oh Thack........

Hopefully there's a season 3.

I want to see where things go for Edwards, Bertie and Cornelia.

And Gallinger needs to get his comeuppance at some point. >_<

HoJu

god damn Cleary broke my heart. that plotline seemed so sweet and pure. turns out he may be the biggest monster of them all.

Grizzlyjin

god damn Cleary broke my heart. that plotline seemed so sweet and pure. turns out he may be the biggest monster of them all.

I hope the truth on that never surfaces. It was extremely shitty, but he didn't see the full ramifications of what he was doing. Definitely wasn't his place to set her up and destroy what she devoted her life to, especially without talking to her about it. But considering the point they're at now...I'd rather blissful ignorance over blinding truth.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Barrow thinks he's on top of the world lol

I would mind if the series end there, but man, I'd be lovely to see how things evolve

I've rarely been as dissatisfied with a finale as I was with that one. Tons of total shark jumping moments. I hope Cinemax has the good sense to not order a third season.

UrbanRats

I've rarely been as dissatisfied with a finale as I was with that one. Tons of total shark jumping moments. I hope Cinemax has the good sense to not order a third season.

I wouldn't go that far, but the second half of this season was really fucking messy, from a writing standpoint.
Entire plotpoints abandoned for no reason, rushed and unearned "shocking" plot twists (including deaths), and really heavy handed with the historical references.

hot damn the bad guys won hard. Henry stuff made me laugh but it was very entertaining, a classic heel turn that was.

Cleary.........why man......the guy's so blinded he can't even see what he is and what he's done.

I take solace in hoping Gallinger dies horribly in WW2 somehow when he becomes a full blown Nazi.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The plotting was, once again, really spotty in that last one (though I suppose that's nothing new for this show, especially this season), but overall I thought it was a really solid finale. Season two was, I think, as good as (if not better) than season one, but it also didn't reach the heights of season one either (namely the one where all the racists attack the hospital and they have to sneak out).

Other thoughts:

I'm assuming Thackery isn't dead because they showed Bertie stab him in the chest with the needle full of adrenaline and it would be sort of weird to have a scene like that only to have him die anyway. Plus, after introducing adrenaline earlier in the season. they didn't really do much with it, so it makes sense that they would bring it back at the very end to save someone's life.

Cleary: ummmmmmmm

If that was the series' last episode, it's kind of delicious that Gallinger and Henry managed to get away scot-free while Algernon, Cornelia, and Thack all suffered massive blows. I'm assuming that won't stay the case if the show continues, but I think it would be kind of refreshing (in a twisted way) if it did stick.

Cinemax: please don't try to continue the series without Steven Soderbergh. If he doesn't want to keep going, then just leave it be.

EDIT: I forgot they implied that Barrow has cancer. Bye.

Dan

I'm assuming Thackery isn't dead because they showed Bertie stab him in the chest with the needle full of adrenaline and it would be sort of weird to have a scene like that only to have him die anyway. Plus, after introducing adrenaline earlier in the season. they didn't really do much with it, so it makes sense that they would bring it back at the very end to save someone's life.
I think you could see it as Bertie fails in that moment, if only due to the extensive damage Thackery already did, resulting in him being determined to further that area of study. Like Thackery spending season one finishing what he and his mentor had been working on.

Not sure Thackery living would really inspire Algernon to explore the talking cure in Thackery's honor, because he "owes him that much". I guess he could be entirely out of commission, for health and/or professional reasons, but I think that'd really lessen the impact of Thackery's whole arc, and his legacy for the others going forward.

They can definitely write it for him to survive, and while in a different situation I'd want more Clive Owen, that feels like it'd undermine a lot.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think you could see it as Bertie fails in that moment, if only due to the extensive damage Thackery already did, resulting in him being determined to further that area of study. Like Thackery spending season one finishing what he and his mentor had been working on.

Not sure Thackery living would really inspire Algernon to explore the talking cure in Thackery's honor, because he "owes him that much". I guess he could be entirely out of commission, for health and/or professional reasons, but I think that'd really lessen the impact of Thackery's whole arc, and his legacy for the others going forward.

They can definitely write it for him to survive, and while in a different situation I'd want more Clive Owen, that feels like it'd undermine a lot.

Hmm, I suppose, but they mentioned something about the spinal tap possibly causing paralysis, so perhaps he's confined to a wheelchair or bed? Still alive but completely incapable of doing anything? That would be equally devastating to his legacy as his death-by-botched-self-surgery.

UrbanRats

The plotting was, once again, really spotty in that last one (though I suppose that's nothing new for this show, especially this season), but overall I thought it was a really solid finale. Season two was, I think, as good as (if not better) than season one, but it also didn't reach the heights of season one either (namely the one where all the racists attack the hospital and they have to sneak out).

No way man, Season 1 felt much more cohesive and with solid arcs.

Season 2 had plotpoints like Algenon's wife (or eye for that matter) that didn't really go anywhere, and others, like Henry being behind all bad things, that felt pulled out of a hat with little to no foreshadowing, in his characterization.
Bertie looked like something interesting was going to happen between him and the journalist, but then that line also settled down very fast.

I think only Thack had a great arc this season, maybe better than the last, and even him could've used a bit more time to develop.

Now i'm not saying every plot point has to evolve into a drama, but here it felt more like "oh, we need to finish? Wrap it up!".
There was so much more to do with this characters, that this really didn't feel like a neat tidy bow to end the series on, and infact, it felt like they rushed S2 to get to it.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I definitely feel like some story lines were anemic, but I liked most of the show.

I do hope they get a third season ordered, but they haven't even mentioned a director. :eek:

When Algernon mentions he as to find a new vocation due to his eye, it looks as though he's becoming a psychiatrist and will further psychiatric medicine. I could see next season's plot going with him experimenting with early forms of electro shock therapy and other early forms of mental health treatments.

Top Bottom