• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Knick - Season 2 - Fridays on Cinemax

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight!

Not Well at All

Thackery attempts a new cure in the inebriation ward; Brockhurst demands his "girls" be returned; Gallinger and his wife's relationship and Bertie's relationship with Genevieve go off in surprising directions. Later, Cornelia shows evidence of the company's wrongdoing to Henry; Barrow's marriage troubles come to a head; and Thackery performs plastic surgery on Abby.

Jack Amiel's weekly live tweeted NYC/medical history fact dumps kinda provide more detail for some of the discussions happening about this show. for example, some of the Williams & Walker talk

i wish there were a better way to share these rather than screenshotting them, but this is how he started presenting them a few weeks ago, i guess so he didn't have to type them out again a few hours later for the west coast

https://twitter.com/JackAmiel/status/670493977007755264
https://twitter.com/JackAmiel/status/670494212274708481
https://twitter.com/JackAmiel/status/670494419422994432
https://twitter.com/JackAmiel/status/670494489614688256

PgRDl0G.png

uj0DrPs.png

qX6ajLb.png

htWssNk.png

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
That was a pretty big departure from history, killing off Dr. Cotton, not that he didn't deserve it. Clearly The Knick's world is a better one than Boardwalk Empire's. Gallinger's look when Eleanor gave the detective his tea... priceless.

Gallinger is all hot and bothered by that Walcott DNA. All about those genetics this year. Dorothy finally got what she's been after.

Barrow selling his house for an amount that barely covers his club fees. Completely tossing his family aside. He's a spectacularly stupid and superficial man.

I can't decide whether Abby wanted to kill herself, or was just self-medicating to calm down. Certainly there's nothing unusual for someone to be taking Laudanum at the time period.

Looks like some shit will go down next week.

The writers said Abbys death was an accident.
Very upsetting,she was Thacks one friend.
Speaking of Thack, hes going to go totally off the rails now. He's fucking done with Abby gone.

I like that Lucys scumbag father is reaffirmed as a hypocrite shithead, only now he's been rendered helpless.

Dan

Yeah, actually, it doesn't make sense for Abby to think that taking a little bit of a non-prescription concoction would lead to a fatal complication with the anesthesia. Just bad luck.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I love that that is what Gallinger wears to bed every night. :D

Barrow selling his house for an amount that barely covers his club fees. Completely tossing his family aside.

That shit was COLD man! I almost couldn't believe that he actually went through with it - I thought he would chicken out at the end or something.

jerry113

Banned
- holy shit gallinger's wife is batshit insane. that tracking shot of the teacup is suspenseful as fuck.

- it's great to see thackery in non-addicted form. this is the best we've ever seen him.

- cornelia's brother is responsible for spate's death isn't he?

- haha i get a kick out of these scenes where they're looking at technological novelties in these world conventions

- Barrow dropping the mic. Cold stone. Difficult to watch. There's nothing redeeming about this character.

holy shit, i spoke too soon about thackery. that's just tragic.

I don't get it, in the same episode they show adrenaline, they don't bother using it at the end to save Abby?

And holy shit at Barrow and tossing his family aside. I just know that's not going to end well. That girl will be long gone soon enough.

Rodelina

Neo Member
I suppose Abby's death was the consequence of stage 4 anesthesia
I think there was an attempt to inject adrenaline which failed.
Thankfully today we have appropriate an ACLS algorithm.

UrbanRats

I don't get it, in the same episode they show adrenaline, they don't bother using it at the end to save Abby?

And holy shit at Barrow and tossing his family aside. I just know that's not going to end well. That girl will be long gone soon enough.

Narratively speaking, it was weird, but it made sense character wise, they had JUST discovered those effects, and it all happened in a matter of seconds, probably not the first thing that came to mind.

The one thing i didn't like was showing Nurse Elkins' father as the BDSM guy, sort of a lazy turn of events, for the religious preacher type of character.
I know the show has gone for the low hanging fruits before, but this is probably the lowest yet.

Still liked the episode, even though the whole Abby scene felt more confusing than anything.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The one thing i didn't like was showing Nurse Elkins' father as the BDSM guy, sort of a lazy turn of events, for the religious preacher type of character.
I know the show has gone for the low hanging fruits before, but this is probably the lowest yet.

My thoughts exactly. The "super religious person is actually a weird* deviant* hypocrite" trope is so tired at this point.

jett

D-Member
I don't like what they did with Abby, seemed random. I guess they really wanted Thackery to go off the rails for the end of the season.

Did you miss the part where Bertie ran into another room, grabbed a syringe and Thackery injected it directly into her heart? I don't think they said the name of it, but I assumed it was Adrenaline.

Tubobutts

Did you miss the part where Bertie ran into another room, grabbed a syringe and Thackery injected it directly into her heart? I don't think they said the name of it, but I assumed it was Adrenaline.

It wasn't. Thackery says something and strychnine. The something sounded like brandy, but I'm not sure.

The plotting is almost entirely cliched - it's easily the weakest part of the show.

Yep. Between the huge budget, excellent cast and Soderbergh this should be an all time great show, but the scripting/plotting are continually a let down.

It reminds me so much of Boardwalk Empire. In theory I should love it, but it leaves me cold.

ezekial45

Banned
It's interesting we're now officially into alternate history. I suppose they had to, given that The Knick is somehow inventing all these new procedures and devices for medicine.

UrbanRats

Yep. Between the huge budget, excellent cast and Soderbergh this should be an all time great show, but the scripting/plotting are continually a let down.

It reminds me so much of Boardwalk Empire. In theory I should love it, but it leaves me cold.

The problem I had with BE, was that it had about 40 million characters, and was obsessed with following all of them, when many weren't all that interesting.
Had it been a more focused show, it would've been much better.

The Knick doesn't suffer from that, in my opinion, and more from some clumsy and dare i say "lazy", by the numbers plot developments at times (other times it can be brilliant) and it's saved by the thick, amazing mood Cliff Mirtinez, Steven Soderbergh, the cast and the rest of the crew bring to sustain an alright but often flawed script.

If there was ever need to prove that cinema is a collaborative art form, this is a great piece of evidence.
And although they always say how writers are the centerpiece in television shows, i think this show goes against that idea somewhat.

Not to say that the writing in this is atrocious, but sometimes it does leave me puzzled, at how shamelessly on the nose they can be.

I forgive the tropes because apart from Deadwood and the Wire, I've never seen a show address race and gender as brutally honest as the Knick.
Even Boardwalk Empire didn't take it as far as The Knick does with social themes.
I also think the writers are doing an excellent job with Cleary and Harry. Don't see too many friendships on tv between a heterosexual man and woman that don't have a romance or sex angle to it.
Harry reminds me of Anthony Hopkins character in Remains of the Day.

UrbanRats

I kind of like the schlockiness of The Knick.

I'm fine with it being more of a guilty pleasure type of show than a prestige show.
Anything but some aspects of the writing is as prestige as they come, though.
I mean with schlock and guilty pleasure I'd classify stuff like Game of Thrones or Banshee.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I find the plotting fine, but the number of moments this season where they've done the "Here's a thing I'm going to say that seems normal to us but the audience in modern times will think this is barbaric or ridiculous lol *wink wink*" thing. I'm kinda imagining it will culminate from "I'm hearing great research about Eugenics coming out of Germany, there's this art student who is talking about it, maybe one day he will join a political party and be an up and coming hey the guy's name, get this, is Adolf Hitler I think history will remember the name Hitler for example this is a person!!!!"

It's a pity because the material they have to work with already elicits the same kind of gasps a lot more organically, like the surgical barber cold open last season.

jerry113

Banned
Lol wow, season 3 confirmed, you dont cancel the presidents favorite show.

Obama just got even cooler in my book.

I had suspected these favorite "lists" of the presidents have always just been popularity ploys but The Knick is one of the least mainstream shows he could've picked to mention lol.

SeanC

Not a single nod for the show at The Globes. Didn't wine and dine the 90 people that make the decisions at the HFPA, I guess. I walk by their offices every day when I go to and from work and often have a sudden urge to take a piss on the side of their building.

Hopefully Soderbergh will at least get a directing nomination come the Emmys like last year and probably some technical acknowledgement like set design and costumes. He should be nominated for the precision shown in Episode 7 at the charity ball alone.

Hopefully Soderbergh will at least get a directing nomination come the Emmys like last year and probably some technical acknowledgement like set design and costumes. He should be nominated for the precision shown in Episode 7 at the charity ball alone.

More people need to pay homage to The Magnificent Ambersons like he did in that scene.

The Show will be given almost no awards or recognition from places like the Emmys or Globes.
Maybe another Peabody or AFI award though. Clive Owen, Andre Holland and Chris Sullivan acted as well as anyone nominated for any of the awards, shame about the lack of recognition there.

Now I have a good idea of frustration the Wire's viewing audience must have felt as that series got ignored by awards shows throughout its entire run. (I didnt watch any of the Wire until 2008, just before the bandwagon kicked into high gear)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The penultimate episode is tonight!

Do You Remember Moon Flower?

Thackery and Capt. Robertson's connection and how the doctor arrived at the Knick, are revealed; the problems between Edwards and Gallinger come to a head after a medical-board hearing about Gallinger's vasectomies. Later, Cleary and Harriet engage in a joint business venture; Lucy shares memories with her father; Barrow realizes the rising costs of living well; and Cornelia and Henry face a family crisis.

Dan

"You shook the very fingers I begged him to slip inside me so many times."

Haha, Nurse Elkins goes all in to torture her father. Amazing.

Fuck you, Gallinger! Time for Thackery to perform a groundbreaking eye replacement on Algernon.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yooooo, Barrow is a savage. He roasted his wife when she came to shake him down. He'll get his comeuppance eventually though. I almost wish he could get his balls properly punched again.

I don't care if Gallinger cures every known disease, he won't be redeemed for me at this point.

Top Bottom