• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Knick - Season 2 - Fridays on Cinemax

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So who do you think was behind the fire? Henry or Barrow? Or maybe both? I had a feeling Henry was behind this whole shipping conspiracy, he seemed desperate enough. I suppose it points towards Henry since he had them meet there. Talk about shitty.

jerry113

Banned
So who do you think was behind the fire? Henry or Barrow? Or maybe both? I had a feeling Henry was behind this whole shipping conspiracy, he seemed desperate enough. I suppose it points towards Henry since he had them meet there. Talk about shitty.

Henry conveniently late to the important meeting.

The brother just tired to off his own father and sister.

Fire is scary yo....

Henry hasn't shown any indication of a homicidal streak thus far and he loves his sister.
gotta be Barrow...he's the only one of the two who has shown a capacity to commit murder.

It could have been Hobart Showalter as well.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm assuming Barrow set the fire, that's more his style, but I can't be 100% about any of it. I'm really not sure what plan Henry had for that night. I mean, August Robertson seemed sincerely flabbergasted about the immigration fraud, and while he'll readily admit to certain financial problems, we've never seen him display any real worry or desperation over it. We certainly have seen Henry get pretty anxious over what Cornelia uncovered, and over his pressing debts and investment faults. But I can't figure out what Henry thought would happen that night, unless he really is so desperate that he'd kill his sister and father to try to alleviate some of his problems. If he didn't set the fire but is behind the immigration scam, what did he think would happen after Cornelia (with or without him) spoke to their father?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm assuming Barrow set the fire, that's more his style, but I can't be 100% about any of it. I'm really not sure what plan Henry had for that night. I mean, August Robertson seemed sincerely flabbergasted about the immigration fraud, and while he'll readily admit to certain financial problems, we've never seen him display any real worry or desperation over it. We certainly have seen Henry get pretty anxious over what Cornelia uncovered, and over his pressing debts and investment faults. But I can't figure out what Henry thought would happen that night, unless he really is so desperate that he'd kill his sister and father to try to alleviate some of his problems. If he didn't set the fire but is behind the immigration scam, what did he think would happen after Cornelia (with or without him) spoke to their father?

It is quite the mystery. Did Barrow's arson serendipitously cover up Henry's immigration scheme? Or was there some kind of collusion between them? Papa Robertson seemed pretty sincere when Cornelia confronted him. This entire thing benefits both Henry and Barrow, assuming that Henry really is behind the conspiracy

That scene with the Barrows though.

I want you to suffer.

And I want you to pay me until the day you die.
How much?
Half paid to me every month.
All right. Half my salary.
And half of everything you steal, skim, and ferret away.

Over that, you can go fuck yourself. And I'd advise you to find someone else that wants to fuck you, too, because I'm only paying for five years. After that, you're on your own. So start casting about for men with deep pockets, poor eyesight, and very little need for proper sexual gratification.

and Lucy Elkins, sheesh. At least the beaten down women on the show got some satisfaction.

Sliver

I've wanted Gallinger and Barrow to die for so long, and I honestly hate drug addiction and relapse stories as well. But with all that this show remains sooo fucking good. Love it.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm curious how Gallinger knew about Edwards' eye? Maybe he deduced it on his own or overheard it from the others in the know? I'm hoping Thackery will get his groove back and retry the eye operation from earlier this season. I will agree, sometimes it get frustrating seeing Edwards constantly abused and get shit on for an hour. I know it's 1900, and he's a doctor in an overwhelmingly white field, but it's hard to keep hope up when he's always getting belittled and humiliated. I just hope they'll end the season on a better note for him, this just hasn't been his year.

I just hope we'll see Zinberg again next episode, he's one of my favorite side-characters.

I assume Gallinger knows about Edwards eye because Algie started wearing glasses during surgical procedures.

I notice some people thought the scene between Gallinger and the detective meant Eleanor Gallinger didnt poison Cotton after all, but its clear that she did use the rat poison on him-the detective mentions the Cotton sons had only just started poisoning Cotton sr. with arsenic and were surprised by the swiftness of his demise.

SURGEdude

I've wanted Gallinger and Barrow to die for so long, and I honestly hate drug addiction and relapse stories as well. But with all that this show remains sooo fucking good. Love it.

Yeah me too. I can't decide if I like the fact that they are totally irredeemable cunts or not. In some ways I think it's ballsy for a smartish show to not be tempted to humanize the bad guys so as to avoid being called out for not having depth. It's more real to just have the occasional person who really is just rotten and mean spirited to the core.

Sanjuro

I'm curious how Gallinger knew about Edwards' eye? Maybe he deduced it on his own or overheard it from the others in the know? I'm hoping Thackery will get his groove back and retry the eye operation from earlier this season. I will agree, sometimes it get frustrating seeing Edwards constantly abused and get shit on for an hour. I know it's 1900, and he's a doctor in an overwhelmingly white field, but it's hard to keep hope up when he's always getting belittled and humiliated. I just hope they'll end the season on a better note for him, this just hasn't been his year.

I just hope we'll see Zinberg again next episode, he's one of my favorite side-characters.

Edwards hasn't been super serective around the workplace with his ailment. Gallinger also isn't a complete moron. He would be in the top three GOP candidates this year without a doubt!

I don't see the hate for Barrow. He has been a quite consistent subplot.

jett

D-Member
They must've be saving Gallinger's reckoning for the finale. They can't leave him with a happy ending. He's been allowed to roam free for so long I predict he gets straight murked.

And Henry acted super suspicious the first time his sister came to him with her discoveries, so I believe him to be the real villain. But honestly I'm not entirely sure who set the fire here, him or Barrow. I can't believe Henry is capable of killing his own family like that. Seems too much.

And I have to ask, does dousing your dick with cocaine actually do anything for you? Seems ridiculous.

ezekial45

Banned
They must've be saving Gallinger's reckoning for the finale. They can't leave him with a happy ending. He's been allowed to roam free for so long I predict he gets straight murked.

And Henry acted super suspicious the first time his sister came to him with her discoveries, so I believe him to be the real villain. But honestly I'm not entirely sure who set the fire here, him or Barrow. I can't believe Henry is capable of killing his own family like that. Seems too much.

And I have to ask, does dousing your dick with cocaine actually do anything for you? Seems ridiculous.

He doused his dick in cocaine for Lucy. As we saw last season, she completely lit up when he poured cocaine into vagina. With the nerve endings and all.

nahlakhai

He doused his dick in cocaine for Lucy. As we saw last season, she completely lit up when he poured cocaine into vagina. With the nerve endings and all.

Not so much nerve endings, but moreso because its a mucous membrane, no different than the nasal mucosa, gums, or rectum. Quick absorption.

source: 4th year med student

CyReN

What happened to Dr Algreon wife? Maybe I missed it up I haven't seen her in awhile and noticed he was wearing a wedding ring before the fight.

What happened to Dr Algreon wife? Maybe I missed it up I haven't seen her in awhile and noticed he was wearing a wedding ring before the fight.

Last time we saw her she was promising Algie things were going to get "much, much better"
Now hes probably half fucking blind.
As for "the good knight Gallinger" I dont think Thack or Bertie will stand for him blinding the deputy chief of surgery, even a black one, with a sucker punch. I think hes made himself a pariah at the hospital now, this is like the third fucking time hes physically attacked Edwards.

Tugatrix

Damn Elkins that was cold blooded, can she do the same for Gallingher? What a scumbag. I guess Barrow was the one who put the fire, the list of suspects is short

SeanC

Seriously, something bad has to happen to Gallinger. I lay in bed at night imagining the various ways to utterly destroy him. Edwards needs to do the same and see it through. I'm actually willing to give up the awesomeness of Edwards if it means something awful happening to Gallinger in the process. We'll all understand. It would be for the greater good.

Sanjuro

I rather see something terrible happen to Edwards. Gally has a hot sister in-law to bang for now. That being if there is another season in the tank for Soderbergh.

Why are you guys being so hard on Gallinger? I mean, who hasn't wanted to sterilize foreign children? Make the Knick great again!

Anyway, I don't want a swift reckoning for Gallinger. I want it to be slow. I want everything around him to crumble before the final blow.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Some really over the top developments this week re: Lucy killing her father while explicitly detailing all of her "deviant" sexual exploits, followed by the new hospital burning down with Cornelia's father inside. Still, a pretty good episode.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Damn Barrow is one cold son of a bitch. "How's that as a surprise?" Ice cold!

Elkins was just informing her father about the golden lotus. Her father wants to be hip and in the know. What a way to go though.

I didn't even suspect Barrow as the culprit, but it makes sense. My first thought it was Henry that did it. Which means did he intend to take out Cornielia as well? Hope not, though she was trying to get in the way of Henkins (Henry and Elkins).

I think the revelation that Gallinger's wife "didn't" poison the Quack doctor is actually just that; that she didn't. It signifies another low that this man will stoop to to get what he wants. In that moment I think (great acting by him by the way) his face said it all

"Oh my god my wife really didn't try to poison him and now I've gone and put her in an asylum for the rest of her life!"
"ah well, better go home and fuck her sister after starting the race war"

There was definitely a moment of clarity there for Gallinger when the cop explained. However brief, a shadow of his former good self popped up and he promptly shoved it back down again.

If you recall right as his wife was being sent away she started to recant her story and said that she didn't think it was right and something was wrong. In my mind her sister probably made her believe she did it. that girl is fine but she be scheming

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I think the revelation that Gallinger's wife "didn't" poison the Quack doctor is actually just that; that she didn't. It signifies another low that this man will stoop to to get what he wants. In that moment I think (great acting by him by the way) his face said it all

"Oh my god my wife really didn't try to poison him and now I've gone and put her in an asylum for the rest of her life!"
"ah well, better go home and fuck her sister after starting the race war"

There was definitely a moment of clarity there for Gallinger when the cop explained. However brief, a shadow of his former good self popped up and he promptly shoved it back down again.

If you recall right as his wife was being sent away she started to recant her story and said that she didn't think it was right and something was wrong. In my mind her sister probably made her believe she did it. that girl is fine but she be scheming
I think you're reading too much into Gallinger being relieved that he, directly or indirectly, was no longer under any suspicion.

Cotton began feeling ill while actually at the Gallinger residence for that dinner, and Eleanor immediately claimed she did itonce the detective arrived and she went to prep the tea. We can be pretty confident Gallinger didn't do it himself given his various reactions to the detective and Eleanor. The only way for Dorothy to have been able to falsely make Eleanor believe that she was the perpetrator of Cotton's death is if she knew about the poison before the detective arrived. In that case, you have to believe either Dorothy did the poisoning herself, or planted the idea within Eleanor.

I don't think we've seen evidence that Eleanor's mental illness made her particularly susceptible to external influence, so I'm inclined to believe the simplest explanation, that Eleanor did it all on her own accord. Gallinger lucks out with the detective writing off Cotton's sons as having screwed up their arsenic dosing and accidentally murdering him far sooner than should have happened.

Grizzlyjin

I think you're reading too much into Gallinger being relieved that he, directly or indirectly, was no longer under any suspicion.

Cotton began feeling ill while actually at the Gallinger residence for that dinner, and Eleanor immediately claimed she did itonce the detective arrived and she went to prep the tea. We can be pretty confident Gallinger didn't do it himself given his various reactions to the detective and Eleanor. The only way for Dorothy to have been able to falsely make Eleanor believe that she was the perpetrator of Cotton's death is if she knew about the poison before the detective arrived. In that case, you have to believe either Dorothy did the poisoning herself, or planted the idea within Eleanor.

I don't think we've seen evidence that Eleanor's mental illness made her particularly susceptible to external influence, so I'm inclined to believe the simplest explanation, that Eleanor did it all on her own accord. Gallinger lucks out with the detective writing off Cotton's sons as having screwed up their arsenic dosing and accidentally murdering him far sooner than should have happened.

That's the conclusion that I came to about the poisoning as well. Not that Eleanor was innocent, but that the police just discovered Cotton's children (who had equal motive) were doing the same thing before the trail lead to the Gallingers. The methods were the same, and are equally accessible for the average person of the era.

I think the takeaway is that Gallinger just doesn't care that he can have Eleanor back when he can tradeup for her younger sister. The sister is his path to a fresh start. He can take her to functions and not worry about her appearance or fragile mental state reflecting poorly on him.

Some really over the top developments this week re: Lucy killing her father while explicitly detailing all of her "deviant" sexual exploits, followed by the new hospital burning down with Cornelia's father inside. Still, a pretty good episode.

It was really over the top. I'm now expecting Barrow setting the fire to be a red herring, and Henry is going to grow a moustache to twirl at any moment. That would be roughly in line with Lucy's speech this episode in terms of schlockiness.

Perhaps I was reading too much into it but I should clarify that I never got the impression the Gallinger was worried about his own guilt in the matter (at least any more than the usual person) more what it said about his character that he moved on so quickly. I think we can all agree that that was the moment he realized he was free to no longer think about his wife and to make the fresh start fucking her devious sister

Lamel

Banned
Sad to see Robertson die like that, he seemed innocent after all. I think Henry is definitely the one who is behind the bribery etc. Did he light the fire? Possibly.

Also Edwards is fucked, his eye is gone.

Alpende

Lucy is going to the bad side a little too quickly. Her father was a douchebag but still, what she did was just plain evil and not really in her character.

Lucy is going to the bad side a little too quickly. Her father was a douchebag but still, what she did was just plain evil and not really in her character.
I got the feeling her father had beaten her her whole life, and used Christian puritanical ideals as his moral justification.

So seeing her tormentor exposed as a hypocrite who didn't live by the ideals and values he evangelized was the last straw.
I'm not sure what she did was pure evil either, the man was in a state of paralysis with no hope of recovery. Letting him die was a mercy. It was her lurid sexual anecdotes that made it an act of malice,not the killing itself.

LaneDS

Sad to see Robertson die like that, he seemed innocent after all. I think Henry is definitely the one who is behind the bribery etc. Did he light the fire? Possibly.

Also Edwards is fucked, his eye is gone.

Gah, that's what I get for thinking I'm caught up on the show and coming into this thread looking for season three news. Something to watch tonight though!

UrbanRats

Robertson's death was possibly the most forced bullshit in the show yet.
Not only was it very convenient (like, to Breaking Bad levels) but also, there were about a million ways he could've saved himself from that situation, to the point were the only explanation i'll accept is that he faked his death and went to live to Hawaii or something.

Also, Gallinger's fist fight thing was verting on his evil cartoon persona a bit too much there, might want to reel it back in a notch or two.

I liked Elkins' scene and Thack's though.

Also, can't wait to see Barrow try to get money out of this little plan of his, lol, hopefully they find out right then and there that it was him to start the fire.

Lamel

Banned
Not only was it very convenient (like, to Breaking Bad levels) but also, there were about a million ways he could've saved himself from that situation, to the point were the only explanation i'll accept is that he faked his death and went to live to Hawaii or something.

Also, Gallinger's fist fight thing was verting on his evil cartoon persona a bit too much there, might want to reel it back in a notch or two.

I liked Elkins' scene and Thack's though.

Also, can't wait to see Barrow try to get money out of this little plan of his, lol, hopefully they find out right then and there that it was him to start the fire.

You thought that gallinger was too cartoon-evil with the punch but Elkins scene was good?

Elkins killing her dad is totally out of character.

ezekial45

Banned
Not so much nerve endings, but moreso because its a mucous membrane, no different than the nasal mucosa, gums, or rectum. Quick absorption.

source: 4th year med student

Thanks for the correction!

Also, I didn't know Lucy actually killed her dad. I just thought she gave him a dose of Cocaine so he could "enjoy the trip".

UrbanRats

You thought that gallinger was too cartoon-evil with the punch but Elkins scene was good?

Elkins killing her dad is totally out of character.
I didn't say it was good, I said I liked it, as in I enjoyed it even if it wasn't a good scene that made too much sense for the character (well, everything but the killing did, actually).

Whereas Gallinger scene was a further repetition of what we've seen him do for two seasons, so having him sucker punch Edwards was sort of a boring scene, on top of not being good.

Plus, Gallinger getting another win can't possibly be satisfying, whereas seeing Elkins carve her own space is. ;)

But yeah, the killing was unneeded drama.
So far, this season has had quite a few unearned deaths.

Bertie's mother's probably being the only one that really hit a home run (and pervy doctor's, of course).
Also, I didn't know Lucy actually killed her dad. I just thought she gave him a dose of Cocaine so he could "enjoy the trip".
I wasn't super sure either, maybe I missed something though.
She does say " before you go" but it could've been a more general time frame (he isn't getting any better).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Yeah, I was wondering why he didn't just drop down the same place Cornelia did. He probably would have broken his legs but at least he would have had a better chance than jumping from the second floor. (unless he really was guilty and just wanted to die)

Top Bottom