• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of info on PS5 patches for PS4 games from Sony and third parties is making me rethink my pre-order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Enough time for more info around the whole launch line-up, teardown, UI/features, maybe another deep dive into the PS5 hardware (DF or some other media).

Ar¢tos

Neither Sony nor 3rd parties have to release any patches to make their ps4 games run natively on ps5. They never promised that, players just assumed it would happen based on architecture similarities between consoles.
You have BC for nearly all games and enhanced BC for some games, it's already more than we could ask for.

Outside of Dreams (that is more like a service than a game), I don't think any other ps4 game will receive a ps5 patch.

What you are asking is for devs to completely recode, add more effects, and re-optimise games for a new platform. Regardless of how similar it is, it's at least months of work that translate in no profit since its for players to play games they either already own or are going to buy at a reduced price (you can easily find Ghost of Tsushima for 30$ or less already).

kuncol02

Banned
Nah that's not what I meant, just bump the resolution of the game and let textures be what they were. You know config file edit :messenger_winking:

Oh really? Do tell more, because it sounds like a config file edit to me. Bump vsync to 60FPS vsync and resolution to higher number and done. Because these days games are not programmed to be bound to framerate, but rather time deltas, so it should not be a problem. By the way I was in team for Kingdom Come: Deliverance, so I am not exactly armchair dev. But sure, I could be wrong, if you have better insight do tell.
Unless it's japanese game and animations and gameplay are tied to framerate. Yes there are still games like that. AFAIK Bloodborne was running in twice of normal speed when patched for 60fps.

Wonko_C

I am waiting until I know PSVR games get a resolution+framerate bump on PS5. The PS4 is limiting the headset too much already (RE7 runs at 540p).

If PS4VR BC games aren't enhanced, I'll wait to see how their next-gen VR headset stacks up. If it's not up to par with PCVR headsets at the time of release I'll just forego consoles completely and build a new PC.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Unless it's japanese game and animations and gameplay are tied to framerate. Yes there are still games like that. AFAIK Bloodborne was running in twice of normal speed when patched for 60fps.
That's weird. I also heard, that games bound to FPS have way more issues with latency of gameplay, because you cannot do anything decoupled from that. This makes any remaster a pretty huge work.

ZywyPL

Banned
There simply won't be any. If anything, Sony is famous for pushing remasters, see Spider-Man for example. The PS4 games will run through BC the same way they run on PS4/Pro, nothing mor, if there will be advancements they'll be sold as remasters. And people will buy it, proving Sony they're doing the right thing.

yurqqa

Some remaster with enhancement obviously does not have to be free, even though companies are doing it. However better resolution and more FPS should be free, because that's how it works when you buy new GPU for example.

That's what I meant by "boost mode". And I think it could come, but not at launch (usually at launch system is pretty bare one and that is understandable).

Is it really THAT important for pre-order decision ?

I'm seriously wondering how load time of old PS4 games are going to be affected.

Might the OS need to slow things down a bit? It's not unreasonable for a game that expects content to load in 20-30 seconds to hit some sort of race condition if the load time takes just 1-2 seconds instead.

Then again, they may have already considered gamers will have a range of drives (5700, 7200, SSD) and worked around such things.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That's what I meant by "boost mode". And I think it could come, but not at launch (usually at launch system is pretty bare one and that is understandable).

Is it really THAT important for pre-order decision ?
Sorry I did not get that from "boost mode", well it's probably important now, when there are not many PS5 games to play I guess. I also remember that PS4 launch draught, was not prepared for buying new console and play most on my old one.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wouldn't expect many old PS4 games to be updated for PS5. if the hardware doesn't do it for free then in most cases it won't happen. I'm not sure why anyone would pre-order a PS5 for this reason.

chonga

It’s perfectly reasonable to expect Sony to do something like that when their direct competition is. MS has brough enhancements for Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5, so why shouldn’t Sony match that with TLOU2 or GOT patches?
Microsoft has an incentive. Only 10 people bought their consoles in the last generation and when a new generation starts everything resets to zero. And because Microsoft only sold 5 copies of their games they have a chance to bring in new people to their ecosystem and they can do that with upgrades to their old games. Especially when they don't even have any new games to offer them.

Sony on the other hand knows that they don't have to do shit and spending time and money on patching their old games isn't going to net a return. So what's the point.

And honestly, what is the fucking point. You don't go buy something that works to a given level and then return it to the store to get an performance upgrade when a new version of that product arrives, so why the fuck do people think they are entitled to that for a game?

Why do people expect something free is beyond me. Do you work for free so that you expect others to provide you free goodies ? Even communist regimes didn't work like this.

PS5 has very good price, so why do you expect some freebies ?

Backward compatibility and maybe boost mode (most likely not at launch) for some games should be free. Everything else will be paid.

P.S. Also Sony is not Jim Ryan and MS is not Phil Spencer. They are spokesmen for corporations that earn money from you. And you act like they are your friends that "betray" you. This is kindergarten level logic.

It's not free for fucks sake. It's an incentive to buy their £450 machine.

You people are scary, pull the cock out of your mouths already.

BlackTron

My level of enthusiasm for both PS5 and XSX is almost non-existent anyway. I'm letting the entire situation unfold on its own. In a year or two I'll see what's actually manifested for both platforms. Right now there are many questions and when they do get around to answering them, the answers aren't always so great. They can play their entire hand before I commit to buy.

Most likely I'll get a PS5 after it's been slimmed down and/or the PS5 Pro is out, even then only if the exclusive games seem that good. Right now it comes off as a PS4 Pro Plus. I've done my fair share of waiting in lines at console launches and hyperventilating as the momentous event approaches, but I honestly can't understand how anyone is excited. These launches seem pitiful, and if you can't even play some old games at higher settings to fill in the gaps and get some use out of the console, just LOL.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
We've got month and half of time for announcements
I'm sure everything well be clear by the beginning of Nov

I was able to get a pre-order for the PS5 but other than Miles Morales UE, not much else interests me. What had me excited about getting a PS5 at launch was that I expected at least Sony to come out with some patches for PS4 games to boost resolution/framerate. It would be fun to replay some of these games at 60fps. At the very least I was expecting announcements for TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima since they were launching just a few months before the PS5. I guess there's always games that have unlocked framerate options, like FFXV or God of War which should boost to a stable 60fps on PS5 without a patch, though they will be limited to 1080p.

I just think it's shitty of Sony not to tell us if and when patches are coming.

From the updated PS5 landing page:

iN7vFam.jpg

I pretty much consider everything strategic I remember being upset that demons souls wasn't on PS now but look we're getting a complete remake of it as a launch title for PS5 I'm wondering how long they knew they were going to do that how long it was being worked on or if it was being planned for a good amount of time even beforehand and that's why you didn't see the game on PS now. Similarly look at how PS plus has had some bad months in the last year but for a PS5 launch you're going to get the best month of PS plus there's ever been. I just have to hold all there ignoring franchises like resistance and kill zone means I'm going to get some kind of remaster collections for both.

Kagero

You have a FF avatar, and Sony announces a FF exclusive and you are rethinking your pre order? I do understand what you're saying though, but I think sony said it would be up to developers to decide if they will allow a free upgrade.

From the top of my head these are the games that will get free upgrades if you have the PS4 version.

1. Watchdogs Legion
  2. FarCry 6
  3. Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  4. Sackboys Big Adventure
  5. The Witcher 3
  6. Doom Eternal
  7. Kena
  8. Horizon Forbidden West
  9. Cyberpunk 2077
Also this article contains alot more.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Pre-ordered for Miles and nothing else sounds good? Some DLC is all that looked good?

Yeah, go ahead and give it up to someone who won't neglect your poor baby. Anyone know a PS5 foster home we can get it to?

Valentino

Ummmm, why the frig is there so many "lack of this has me worried" "lack of advertisement has me worried" "this is making me rethink my loyalty" "I want to move consoles" "what were they thinking" "what are they doing?" "management is so bad"

Euuughhhhhhhh.......... non of you worries and qualms hinder or make any difference to anything thats going on or will go on. The nerdy entitlement and expectations are just beyond.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

If a game isn't ever running at that framerate on that target platform, why would you test it? Why implement it when you've already instituted a hard frame-rate cap to ensure it never occurs. You (the coder) build to a spec, I hate seeing people characterize this as being a failing, because even if it introduces issues down the line its impossible to know what else might behave in an unexpected manner under the same circumstances without holistic testing .

Anyone else think maybe the only BC games are that stupid Plus collection?

I was thinking about buying GoT but waiting to play it on PS5 but have they actually confirmed it? Don’t want to buy it and get stung by them doing a Sony and charging for a ‘remaster’?

ethomaz

Banned
Why do you want they wasting money in patches instead new games?

PS5 can run all PS4 games natively... it is not like devs needs to do patches.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Anyone else think maybe the only BC games are that stupid Plus collection?

I was thinking about buying GoT but waiting to play it on PS5 but have they actually confirmed it? Don’t want to buy it and get stung by them doing a Sony and charging for a ‘remaster’?
It is confirmed all PS4 games run in PS5.... no patch needed.

Parch ia if the dev choose to use the PS5 boosted clocks.

Last edited:
It is confirmed all PS4 games run in PS5.... no patch needed.

Parche ia if the dev choose to use the PS5 boosted clocks.

That’s good - not that I don’t believe you, can you point me towards the announcement? I’ll buy GoT today then. But that ‘play a back catalog of PS4 games’ up above is disconcertingly vague...

ethomaz

Banned
That’s good - not that I don’t believe you, can you point me towards the announcement? I’ll buy GoT today then. But that ‘play a back catalog of PS4 games’ up above is disconcertingly vague...
Yes.

Cerny confirmed it at Road of PS5.
PS.Blog did updated the article about that.
Jim Ryan already said 99% of games works on BC PS4 legacy modes (technically 99% because some games requires accessories not compatibles with SP5).

I did not find anything vague.... including the last claim of “99%”.

Now if you want BC games working in PS5 BC Boost Mode then yes we don’t have a list of the games that will works without or with patch.

Last edited:

trikster40

If there’s not a PS5 version of the game, I wouldn't expect a patch. The games will utilize boost mode to maybe increase resolution and frame rate. Why waste resources and time on a pitch when you can just let the hardware do it.

Moomalade74

Banned
I would be surprised if Naughty Dog will announce something
for Part II on PS5 next Saturday for Outbreak Day.

While getting free upgrades would be nice I do not mind paying for an "upgrade".
But IMHO it should not be higher than $10 - $20.

I hear ND are hard at work on DLC for TLOU2, I believe targeting end of year release. Maybe this will be packaged up and sold on the PS5 along with a souped up version of the full game. Hopefully for PS4 owners there's a cheaper upgrade option.

I'll be disappointed if we don't get some kind of upgrade patch for Ghost of Tsushima. I had to stop playing as the framerate was scraping my eyeballs.

Last edited:
Same. If not all PS4 exclusives run at 60fps native 4K at PS5 launch then there no point at all getting one before Horizon 2. It's the only thing that can save PS5 for first year or two.

truth411

I was able to get a pre-order for the PS5 but other than Miles Morales UE, not much else interests me. What had me excited about getting a PS5 at launch was that I expected at least Sony to come out with some patches for PS4 games to boost resolution/framerate. It would be fun to replay some of these games at 60fps. At the very least I was expecting announcements for TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima since they were launching just a few months before the PS5. I guess there's always games that have unlocked framerate options, like FFXV or God of War which should boost to a stable 60fps on PS5 without a patch, though they will be limited to 1080p.

I just think it's shitty of Sony not to tell us if and when patches are coming.
YEAH THE PS5 IS TRASH, don't waste your time!!!!
Now, I will be more than happy to take that Paper weight Preorder of your hands since you don't want it 😁
(Sarcasm)

Yes.

Cerny confirmed it at Road of PS5.
PS.Blog did updated the article about that.
Jim Ryan already said 99% of games works on BC PS4 legacy modes (technically 99% because some games requires accessories not compatibles with SP5).

I did not find anything vague.... including the last claim of “99%”.

Now if you want BC games working in PS5 BC Boost Mode then yes we don’t have a list of the games that will works without or with patch.

Can you show me? I watched the Cerny thing and definitely did not come away with a definitive impression that everything will just work? Didn’t he mention a number like 100?

From the updated PS5 landing page:

iN7vFam.jpg

This is what I'm talking about.

I don't expect Sony or any publisher to provide free upgrades/patches for PS5 versions of games because this isn't something they promised at the time of purchase. I'm happy with PS4 games just running on PS5 without issue.

What I DO want from Sony is a list of games that will be able to utilise the boost feature to improve framerates, if every game won't be able to take advantage of it. If this is a system level feature (similar to the Pro's boost mode) that automatically enhances games and requires little to no extra work from devs, then I hope this is something Sony implements on a system level to improve the performance of as many games as possible.

Fbh

It's time to accept the vast majority of games that are older than a year won't get any.

Now that there's already going to be remasters of first party games day 1 (with Spiderman) I see no reason why they would give you a free upgrade when they can charge for it.

Technically they could probably update the regular version of Spiderman with a 60fps mode but that would make the paid remaster less appealing so they won't

What I DO want from Sony is a list of games that will be able to utilise the boost feature to improve framerates, if every game won't be able to take advantage of it. If this is a system level feature (similar to the Pro's boost mode) that automatically enhances games and requires little to no extra work from devs, then I hope this is something Sony implements on a system level to improve the performance of as many games as possible.

If it's anything like the PS4 pro boost mode pretty much every game will be able to take advantage of it.

It's just that if a game was released with a 30fps lock it won't magically run at 60 fps. It would need devs to release an update to replace that 30fps cap with a 60fps one.

The only games that will benefit from boost mode are the ones that had "performance" modes and dynamic resolutions.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

Sony and Capcom already set the tone with DMC5 SE. Get ready for "special editions" that barely add anything to the game sold for 70 dollars/80 euros.

skneogaf

Yeah I only want a ps5 to play god of war better and the last of us 2 better although I'm starting to think I want to play demon souls.

I love pc gaming as I enjoy trying games again when I upgrade my graphics card.

I think i want this from playstation 5.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Wait for more info, or cancel your preorder so someone with less concern can get a system. Why preorder something you're not 100% sure of? Impulse control issues? Threads like this reflect more poorly on the buyer than the seller.

"The new restaurant has told me if they serve the food I like, and now I'm worried about my dinner reservation."

TonyK

Same here. And the absence of news about it make me think there will be no enhancements for ps4 games. Only the same shitty boost mode of Ps4pro

Boss Mog

I think I'm starting to understand what they mean when they say "We believe in Generations". PS4 Pro patches were free because it was the same gen but for PS5 Sony believes you need to pay for remasters instead because it's a new generation.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
PS5 will be out of this world why should SONY favor the PS4? Surprised they didn't kill it off day 1 PS5 launch but SONY believes in driving console sales, and continuing generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom