• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of new game announcements for the Nintendo Switch.

redcrayon

Of course you don't want to immediately abandon your old system, I'm not advocating that. What I am saying is Nintendo, in any given year, tends to do well if you look at their entire first party output. When it's all hitting the same system, they'll be able to support that system pretty well. Up to this point though, they've never done that and thus they always have gaps in releases and "droughts". This topic isn't about Nintendo's general output, it's about their output on Switch. Right now their output on Switch would be a lot stronger if games like FE Echoes and Ever Oasis were coming to the system, even if it's not exclusively, like BOTW.
I don't think it would be 'a lot stronger', considering the software they would be rubbing shoulders with are two of the highest-rated games of the year. I think it would be a trade-off of the benefits of a few extra cheap games (when the eshop has plenty that the 3DS can't run) vs potential damage to the reputation of the Switch as a port machine. Maybe they want people's first look at Fire Emblem on the Switch to be next year for a reason, for the same reason that they want people's first look at Mario on the Switch to be Odyssey than an easy port of Galaxy or NSM3DW? Happy to concede that's me being optimistic, but I think there is something in the curation, the impression they want to lead with.

Sheroking

It still had Assassin's Creed, Injustice Ultimate Edition, Call of Duty, Fifa & Madden, Need for Speed, Skylanders, Battlefield, and Wolfenstein. Big Third Party releases. And yes, that was still considered somewhat dire for a new system.

Minecraft is about the only thing that comes close for Switch right now (And PS4 had that too). Bomberman to a much lesser extent. Why is it being seen as ridiculous to consider this an even worse situation?

Well, AC, CoD, Fifa, Madden and Battlefield are all seasonal games. The Switch launched in March, not November. The last time Nintendo filled their early days roster with late-ports, like Arkham City, it was met with scorn and derision.

Now, I wouldn't be overly comfortable suggesting AC, CoD and Madden won't find themselves on Switch in time.

Is Minecraft more relevant than, say, Mario Kart 8. The only way you're going to have played Mario Kart 8 is if you owned a Wii U. You definitely own something else that plays Minecraft. Same deal with all those middling third party games.

The Wart

I remain completely flummoxed as to why so many people think it is critically important that the Switch receive deeply compromised versions of AAA titles. The audience for those games already has at least one system that can play them better than the Switch can. If Nintendo's strategy is to go after that market they've already lost.

Put another way, if you pretty much only care about AAA games why on earth would you even want the Switch in the first place?

Nintendo is rightly focusing on indies not just because it doesn't have to money-hat them, but because many indie games play to the Switch's strengths -- looking and playing great on the weaker hardware, local co-op, tight gameplay loops that lend themselves to portability, etc.

I remain completely flummoxed as to why so many people think it is critically important that the Switch receive deeply compromised versions of AAA titles. The audience for those games already has at least one system that can play them better than the Switch can. If Nintendo's strategy is to go after that market they've already lost.

Put another way, if you pretty much only care about AAA games why on earth would you even want the Switch in the first place?

Nintendo is rightly focusing on indies not just because it doesn't have to money-hat them, but because many indie games play to the Switch's strengths -- looking and playing great on the weaker hardware, local co-op, tight gameplay loops that lend themselves to portability, etc.
Definitely.

I'd settle for more indie games, Steamworld Dig 2 for example is mine day one. A lot of indie games just felt right on the portable, and the reason why I played a lot on my Vita.

There are plenty of games on PS4 and Xbox One already that I would buy, if they were available (as-is or with reasonable compromises) on a portable platform like the Switch. And I'm not sure many of the games I'd want on Switch would have to suffer 'deep compromises'. Especially not relative to the compromises which iterations in big-name franchises had to submit to in order to appear on past portable platforms.
For example, I'm not very big on Call of Duty. I've skipped each entry for years besides Black Ops 3 and haven't regretted it. but I'd buy a new Call of Duty on Switch. I'm not frothing at the mouth to sit down in front of my entertainment setup and boot up Call of Duty, but if I could just grab a portable system and be playing the full game in an online match in less than a minute wherever in my house, and play through the campaign wherever, whenever, in short bursts... yeah, I could get down with that, even despite potential caveats like reduced graphical fidelity or, worst case scenario, fewer players in a match. And there's a number of franchises I feel that way about.

ChazGW7

Can we not wait until E3 before the panic starts settling in?

I don't understand why people were expecting any announcements from Nintendo between the release of the Switch and their E3 Nintendo Direct.

With regards to third party support, there is only a small handful of titles I believe would suit the Switch and its hardware capabilities. I don't want CoD/Assassins Creed/Destiny on it, they would essentially be vastly inferior in comparison to the other platform versions, and that's just because of the type of device that it is and its specs. I think people underestimate how dumbed down some of these games would be, if anything, graphically.

Oh look a Switch game announcement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEom_ZoDMhI
C--akNPXoAA9KzW.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/climaxstudios/status/860076147945734144

(Would anyone like to make a thread? I would if I could)

teeny

Yeah, I would take graphical compromises for the portability alone. I'm busy; most of my gaming was previously done on the 3DS and will be done on the Switch. I don't necessarily have the time to settle down in front of the TV. And, when it is available, it's kind of selfish for me to hog it to play games. The Switch is very convenient for me. I know it's unlikely to happen, but I would gladly buy the likes of Battlefront II for it. I could play it as I commute, at work and at home when the TV is in use.

I ended up dropping out of Splatoon online fairly for the above reasons and I am very excited for the convenience of portable for Splatoon 2.

FStubbs

You want them on the go?

That being said, I've said this before, but Western AAA developers would close up shop before supporting a Nintendo console. Will never happen.

You want them on the go?

That being said, I've said this before, but Western AAA developers would close up shop before supporting a Nintendo console. Will never happen.

Looking at the specs for Switch, I sincerely doubt most AAA western console games could be ported to Switch without heavy compromise anyway. Some of these games have enough trouble running on the base PS4/Xbox One units so they don't stand much chance of being easily ported to Switch. I don't think it matters anyway. The market for those games is gobbled up between PC/PS4/Xbox One. If you haven't got one of those systems yet then you likely have no interest in playing games like Destiny, Battlefield or Assassin's Creed anyway.

Also, I said it earlier but Switch isn't looking too bad at the moment. Disgaea 5 and RIME are due this month, ARMS next month and Splatoon in July with indie releases slotted in amongst them. The real problem will arise if Nintendo doesn't bring the heat at E3. I'm expecting BIG things. They absolutely need to come out swinging.

Xenoblade 2, Super Mario Odyssey, Pikmin 4, Fire Emblem Warriors, Retro's new game. I want to see them all.

The last time Nintendo filled their early days roster with late-ports, like Arkham City, it was met with scorn and derision.

I never quite understood that, considering late ports made up such a substantial portion of the PS4/XB1's first year.

Can only speak for myself, but a large amount of bigger-publisher games are things I'd play on a handheld. I enjoyed it about PSP; I liked what little we got on Vita and I'd like it if Switch filled that gap.

Shiggy

Not a real game
Does not count

/S

doesn't count.

edit: beaten. gah.

Dat salt.

Also, I said it earlier but Switch isn't looking too bad at the moment. Disgaea 5 and RIME are due this month, ARMS next month and Splatoon in July with indie releases slotted in amongst them. The real problem will arise if Nintendo doesn't bring the heat at E3. I'm expecting BIG things. They absolutely need to come out swinging.

Xenoblade 2, Super Mario Odyssey, Pikmin 4, Fire Emblem Warriors, Retro's new game. I want to see them all.

Rime is coming later to Switch, September I believe. This month has Street Fighter though.

PBY

Banned

I just want to play all my games on the Switch right now, so AAA ports would be cool imo.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Going to be the same as Gamecube, Wii and Wii U. Some amazing games and some very long droughts with nothing. Its Nintendo people... nothing has changed!

Enthus

I bought my Switch knowing full well that I would only buy Switch exclusives on it. It leaves me in a bit of a dire spot for a while, but I have Splatoon 2 and Arms to look forward to in the Summer.

I have MK8, Zelda, and Snipperclips currently, so that's not too bad of a start.

A prime example of how sensitive and defensive some Nintendo fans are, from the mere notion that some (well the data actually says most) are more interested in retail software with a console.

"Nintendo fan". I am a video game fan. I own various console, mostly of the playstation brand. I spend most of my time playing playstation consoles. I just like playing video games. The same phrase applies to ps+/games with gold as well. Still amazes me how people don't accept indie titles as real game, or how they don't count in discussions.

My most anticipated title is probably Nex Machinca right now.

There are plenty of games on PS4 and Xbox One already that I would buy, if they were available (as-is or with reasonable compromises) on a portable platform like the Switch. And I'm not sure many of the games I'd want on Switch would have to suffer 'deep compromises'. Especially not relative to the compromises which iterations in big-name franchises had to submit to in order to appear on past portable platforms.
For example, I'm not very big on Call of Duty. I've skipped each entry for years besides Black Ops 3 and haven't regretted it. but I'd buy a new Call of Duty on Switch. I'm not frothing at the mouth to sit down in front of my entertainment setup and boot up Call of Duty, but if I could just grab a portable system and be playing the full game in an online match in less than a minute wherever in my house, and play through the campaign wherever, whenever, in short bursts... yeah, I could get down with that, even despite potential caveats like reduced graphical fidelity or, worst case scenario, fewer players in a match. And there's a number of franchises I feel that way about.

Absolutely this. I would not buy Assassins Creed Empire on my PC but I most definitely would if it came to the Switch. And I can say the same about a huge number of big AAA games, like Destiny 2.

I have no interest in sacrificing my time and comfort to play a game anymore when I've experienced BotW on the Switch, which is the best and most convenient way to play a game I've ever seen. Switch owners have a very good and compelling reason to want to buy AAA games on this platform, which wasn't necessarily present for the Wii and Wii U. So that same tired argument of "you already have a platform to play this, why would you buy it on the Switch" doesn't really work anymore.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
A prime example of how sensitive and defensive some Nintendo fans are, from the mere notion that some (well the data actually says most) are more interested in retail software with a console.

Eh why do you feel the need to always point it out. it seems to affect you a lot since you do it with such consistency. It's not rare in console launch for people various fans to denigrate other consoles with lack of games (I'm sure your aware of the PS4/PS3 has no games memes and now with the XB1). It's usual childish shit you ignore. I can't imagine why making a public note complaining about these Nintendo fans all the time with such consistency makes much sense but I will say the more commonly you do the more defensive you come across in these sorts of exchanges, chill out a bit.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We'd also probably need to consider where the actual mode and median are in this case because so early in the system's life you're going to be seeing plenty of power-users with 10+ units of software to their name, heavily skewing the average up.

That said, its no mystery/secret that right now the Switch is moving a lot of software across the board so either there's a lot of power-users or even the average consumer is actually buying more than ~1 unit of software per month. Which is all very good for a platform and one so young with a fairly limited physical software market.

Another aspect to consider when we deal with Nintendo's reported attach rate is that digital exclusive games are not included, only digital versions of retail games. So, for example, the current tie-ratio (which is probably higher than 2 by now thanks to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe) doesn't count the over 350,000 downloads for SnipperClips and the 200,000 downloads for all the ACA NeoGeo games.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Eh why do you feel the need to always point it out. it seems to affect you a lot since you do it with such consistency. It's not rare in console launch for people various fans to denigrate other consoles with lack of games (I'm sure your aware of the PS4/PS3 has no games memes and now with the XB1). It's usual childish shit you ignore. I can't imagine why making a public note complaining about these Nintendo fans all the time with such consistency makes much sense but I will say the more commonly you do the more defensive you come across in these sorts of exchanges, chill out a bit.

He's been in a mission from God (maybe due to "fear"?) in the past few months, not surprised by his behaviour.

"Nintendo fan". I am a video game fan. I own various console, mostly of the playstation brand. I spend most of my time playing playstation consoles. I just like playing video games. The same phrase applies to ps+/games with gold as well. Still amazes me how people don't accept indie titles as real game, or how they don't count in discussions.

My most anticipated title is probably Nex Machinca right now.

No one is saying Indie games are not real games, thats a conclusion you jumped to. Whats more likely to be the case if people wanting to know how retail published software is doing, as these are the games they buy the most and enjoy the most.

To highlight the hilarity: using exaggeration to undermine a clearly valid concern, because one suddenly gets defensive.

chronomac

Going to be the same as Gamecube, Wii and Wii U. Some amazing games and some very long droughts with nothing. Its Nintendo people... nothing has changed!

What drought?

March - Breath of the Wild
April - Mario Kart 8
May - Disgaea, SF II
June - Arms
July - Splatoon 2

And that doesn't count indie titles like Tumbleseed, Thumper, Wonder Boy, and Graceful Explosion Machine or Neo Geo titles (of which there are now 14, and one every week) or anything getting announced at E3 (including Virtual Console). I feel like most of the people that complain about the quantity of titles don't end up playing what's available, and what's here on the Switch right now is surprisingly good.

EDarkness

It's interesting that there's this debate about whether or not indie games are games. In my opinion, even indie games getting announced is good. I just think that there should be some of these "big" games announced as well. But I do think that the system trying to survive on indies and Nintendo games is not a good outcome and if they want to hit that crazy 100 million, it would be necessary for them to get some of those games on their platform. It doesn't even need to be all of them, but some stuff like Overwatch, Destiny 2, CoD, Darksiders 3, CodeVein, etc. really help round out the variety of games available. So the indie experience is there on top of a bit of the big AAA scene. At the moment, none of those AAA games have been announced for the NS yet, and that is a little worrying. I hope it changes at some point.

It's interesting that there's this debate about whether or not indie games are games. In my opinion, even indie games getting announced is good. I just think that there should be some of these "big" games announced as well. But I do think that the system trying to survive on indies and Nintendo games is not a good outcome and if they want to hit that crazy 100 million, it would be necessary for them to get some of those games on their platform. It doesn't even need to be all of them, but some stuff like Overwatch, Destiny 2, CoD, Darksiders 3, CodeVein, etc. really help round out the variety of games available. So the indie experience is there on top of a bit of the big AAA scene. At the moment, none of those AAA games have been announced for the NS yet, and that is a little worrying. I hope it changes at some point.
I think Switch is doing well enough and has a good enough software outlook to maintain sales momentum through Christmas. Which should mean a large audience craving "big" games, as you're saying, on the go. Therefore, I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that we will see big announcements. I don't expect CoD tbh. But I do expect Square (both western and eastern divisions) to do a lot of work in that respect. We already know Tecmo and Atlus support Nintendo consoles and handhelds. Blizzard, Capcom, Bungie and FROM could all be courted in some respects. I don't expect (or even want) much from Activision, Ubisoft or EA.

I also think there will be a large contingent of posters that will continue to shit on the Switch for whatever reasons they deem fit.

Out of the ones you listed I would actually bet heavily on Code Vein being announced for Switch. It's a Japanese UE4 game, and we know over 20 of those are in development for Switch, and they are still holding back announcing the platforms for some reason.

I'm also a bit surprised that it'll miss out on CoD and Darksiders 3, but I guess publishers still feel the need to play it safe until they can get a better idea of potential sales.

EDarkness

I think Switch is doing well enough and has a good enough software outlook to maintain sales momentum through Christmas. Which should mean a large audience craving "big" games, as you're saying, on the go. Therefore, I think it's almost a foregone conclusion that we will see big announcements. I don't expect CoD tbh. But I do expect Square (both western and eastern divisions) to do a lot of work in that respect. We already know Tecmo and Atlus support Nintendo consoles and handhelds. Blizzard, Capcom, Bungie and FROM could all be courted in some respects. I don't expect (or even want) much from Activision, Ubisoft or EA.

I also think there will be a large contingent of posters that will continue to shit on the Switch for whatever reasons they deem fit.

There will always be those who are just going to be negative. There's not much we can do about that. I'm glad we've been able to have at least a mostly civilized discussion so far.

I agree that as the system sells, more of those AAA games will be announced. It's inevitable. The only real thing I worry about is that they are too late to capitalize on the current excitement. Right now, it seems like NS owners are more than happy to buy or try out new software for the system. By the time these guys jump in, that period may be over and they'll be saying that there's no real market for their games on the system. It's okay to wait and see, but there is a thing about waiting too long. If the userbase of the NS starts to expand without the need for those AAA games, then it may be hard for them to break into that market should it get to be large enough to realistically support their games. If there ends up being 15-20 million NS users by mid next year would those players have any interest in AAA games even though there would be a nice number of users that could support their games?

Personally, i think it's about confidence. PS4 and even XBO users know they're getting the big games, but if users of the NS know they're not gonna get those games and have resigned to support Nintendo and indies, then that wouldn't be good for them. I guess we'll see how it goes in the next few months.

Lol

Yeah. Sure.

"Nintendo fans"

I'm gonna take a break from this thread, have fun having valid concerns, I'm going to play some games.

Are you implying this game has the same level of importance as Destiny 2, SWBattlefront2, CODWW2, etc?
Obviously that isn't the implication. This game has an importance level of 0/10. No one is going to rush to purchase the console because it's being released.

Waji

Personally, i think it's about confidence. PS4 and even XBO users know they're getting the big games, but if users of the NS know they're not gonna get those games and have resigned to support Nintendo and indies, then that wouldn't be good for them. I guess we'll see how it goes in the next few months.

But why is there so much push on the AAA games which are not always better than any other ?
Because it doesn't seem to even be sales related, really just as if that was the only games that matter.

Well... I say that but the thread itself makes no sense from the beginning so I probably answer myself here.

Looking at the specs for Switch, I sincerely doubt most AAA western console games could be ported to Switch without heavy compromise anyway. Some of these games have enough trouble running on the base PS4/Xbox One units so they don't stand much chance of being easily ported to Switch. I don't think it matters anyway. The market for those games is gobbled up between PC/PS4/Xbox One. If you haven't got one of those systems yet then you likely have no interest in playing games like Destiny, Battlefield or Assassin's Creed anyway.

So i'm going to go with the assumption that many SWITCH owners would be happy with last gen ports since Switch is supposedly the technological equivalent of a ps3/xbox 360.

As a PS4 Pro owner who had VR and who loves shiny new tech, I'm one of those people that thinks the 'next gen' was about two years too early. I don't think the Xbox 360 and PS3 had completely run their course by the time the new hardware released. In fact, I'd even argue that most of the next gen games aren't much better than their last gen counterparts. Some look better, sure, but after about an hour of playing a game, most of the wow factor goes away. Few games maintain their highs like Horizon or Uncharted 4, and if I"m being totally honest, the beauty of Zelda: BoTW leaves as much of an impression as those acclaimed games.

I bought switch because Zelda was that good. I don't care for all of the Japanese games on the system, even though Id' be a fool to deny that those will be the primary focus on the hardware.

I'd be more than happy with uprezzed last gen ports of AAA games. The portability makes all the difference. Sure, Destiny 1 is old, but portable and on the go? Dead Space. Portal. BioShock.

I don't have to have Horizon and the newest COD on the platform. Frankly, of the MP COD's I played most, it was Black Ops 2 - on the Wii U. So yeah, if Blizzard found some kind of technical wizardry to squeeze Overwatch onto the platform, I'd take it. I'd take MOST 3rd party Western games on the Switch over the Xbox One or PS4 because of portability. I think that the naysayers about current gen AAA games are ABSOLUTELY correct, though. Why even try to bring those games to Switch?

But if you want easy money? Port last gen Titanfall or Battlefield or Mass Effect trilogy or so many of the multiplayer PC games that aren't pushing BLEEDING EDGE tech. I think you'll find a base of new people who really want a lot more than Splatoon or Smash.

EDarkness

Do we know why Darksiders is skipping Switch? Too far in development?

It's baffling. I'm hoping that they're holding the announcement of the NS version close to the chest right now and it'll be announced at a later date along with the other Darksiders games. I just don't understand why they wouldn't be working on a NS version of the game.

It's baffling. I'm hoping that they're holding the announcement of the NS version close to the chest right now and it'll be announced at a later date along with the other Darksiders games. I just don't understand why they wouldn't be working on a NS version of the game.

Not only that, THQ Nordic already made late announcements on Sine Mora EX and even more so with Battle Chasers: Nightwar. Darksiders 3 along with Darksiders: Warmastered Edition and Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition could be a triple announcement for Switch and make a decent impact, hopefully at E3.

1 and 2 could be fall/winter releases (and after Sine Mora EX and Battle Chasers: Nightwar) and 3 could be out alongside the other versions next year.

Lorcain

Are you implying this game has the same level of importance as Destiny 2, SWBattlefront2, CODWW2, etc?
Unless there's deleted text about Destiny 2, SWBattlefront2, CODWW2 from his post (I don't see any edits), he appears to be sharing a game announcement for the Switch? No bold implications detected.

atr0cious

Do we know why Darksiders is skipping Switch? Too far in development?
Probably a mix of that, maybe assets size, and budget. Better to put out on big three in matured environments, then come back and see if it's viable. The publisher seems to like Nintendo, so chances are decent it hits the switch.

Top Bottom