• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of new game announcements for the Nintendo Switch.

I think many companies are waiting to see how the paid online does on Switch. I think it's only going to be 1st party Nintendo, some japanese games and indies for a couple years atleast

EDarkness

Having a Switch, PS4 Pro, and a gaming PC... I'd honestly prefer to buy most of my AAA games on Switch if they came to it.

If Cod WWII comes out on Switch I'll buy it day one to have a decent portable FPS. Graphical settings and resolution downgrades and all. I'm not going to buy it otherwise until there's a deep discount sale on the PC version.

My PS4 Pro is for exclusives or games that get absolutely broken PC ports.

If I'm going to be shackled to a stationary device to play, I'll buy for PC 90% of the time.

My switch is for portable games that I can also play at home.... And this is something I'd choose over shinier graphics most often.

What good are those extra settings doing me if I'm not at home to see them? With Switch, it feels like I'm actually getting to play games again since I can pull it out and play whenever a have a few minutes.

I think this is where I'm at, but also I want interesting stuff in the game like motion aiming and the like. I could play games on my PC or PS4, but I'll go with the NS version due to flexibility. There may be quite a few people who are in the same boat, too.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So, OP, I think that I'd bump this thread (probably make someone angry...) because what even if I agree only partially to your initial statement, I still want to underline how concerned I am about one particular side of Switch support:

the not-so-hybrid positioning Nintendo is actually giving to the console

today's lack of Pokemon "Stars" announcement is astonishing in underlining how so far the Switch has been presented ONLY as a Wii U successor. No Pokemon "HD" versions is very disappointing in terms of "message", because so far there is actually NO SIGN of a real merging of home and portable software output not even from Nintendo/second parties (and of course consequently neither third party is following the leader)

Scipio

So, OP, I think that I'd bump this thread (probably make someone angry...) because what even if I agree only partially to your initial statement, I still want to underline how concerned I am about one particular side of Switch support:

today's lack of Pokemon "Stars" announcement is astonishing in underlining how so far the Switch has been presented ONLY as a Wii U successor. No Pokemon "HD" versions is very disappointing in terms of "message", because so far there is actually NO SIGN of a real merging of home and portable software output not even from Nintendo/second parties (and of course consequently neither third party is following the leader)

Fire Emblem has been announced for the Switch, and its return to home consoles was only made possible by the portability of the Switch.

Guess the 3DS was a failure and never received a Pokemon game since Pokemon Black/White 2 came out on DS after the 3DS launched...

phanphare

Banned

you're ignoring quite a few games to push this narrative, both first and third party

stuff like Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, SMT, Dragon Quest, the game from Square's Bravely Default team, etc.

redcrayon

First party aside, Capcom seems to be OK with putting Monster Hunter there. Can't get bigger third party 'message' than that in Japan. Square seems to be supporting it too and Atlus has SMT in the works, and seeing as all of them are bigger supporters of Nintendo's handheld than home console business in recent years, I don't really agree with your premise that third parties won't gradually shift from 3DS to Switch or see it as the portable successor.

I suspect this thread might be worth bumping again next week, but right now it seems a bit premature. We get this every time a console launches, early adopters play the launch lineup, then wonder why the older hardware with an install base 30x higher isn't immediately discarded by developers.

Looking at the year one lineup for Switch, it's not exactly a weak ten months when Mario, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Zelda, Monster Hunter, FE Warriors, Arms, Xenoblade and Pokken are all going to be on it before Christmas.

Tadaima

For hardware, Nintendo cannot currently meet demand with its supply.

We already have MonHun coming later this year. It is likely that demand will continue to exceed supply long into next year.

It is possible that there was a mainline Pokémon title scheduled to be released on Switch later this year, but after the hugely successful launch there is now no urgency to release it. Switch clearly does not yet need Pokémon in order to ship as many units as is manufactured.

From Nintendo/TPC/Game Freak's perspective, it makes sound business sense to release Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon on Nintendo 3DS. Milk the 3DS cash cow by serving late adopters and series fans, while simultaneously riding the Switch success by supplying as many units as can be manufactured as quickly as possible. Satisfy early adopters by supplying a constant flow of titles. Then, as demand begins to falter, prop it up with a big gun.

This strategy worked wonders for Nintendo DS and we should expect to see somewhat of a repeat of this with Switch.

We'll get our mainline Pokémon title, but only when supply begins to exceed demand.

Vinnk

While I am upset that the is no Pokemon on Switch I totally get it.

What is the install base on the 3DS? How about the Switch?

What ages bought the Switch? What age is the target for Pokemon? Sure there is overlap but buy and large the casual players don't have the Switch yet.

Switch will survive fine without Pokemon (they can't meet demand as it is) but if the 3DS didn't get the new Pokemon game that would be a massive signal that the 3DS is done. And they want to milk that audience one last time.

If they released both (cross platform) the 3DS version would look really bad compared to the Switch version and would dissuade a lot of people who would have bought it on their 3DS to pass. Maybe down the line they would buy it when they got a Switch but by then they might have moved on.

Personally I want them to cut ties with the 3DS and focus everything on the Switch. I am going to pass on Pokemon until there is one on Switch, but I know I am not the majority. My students this morning were buzzing about the new 3DS game. They are super pumped for it. They don't have a Switch but they do have 3DS systems. They will but this. It will make GF a lot of money with very little effort. I don't like it. But business is business.

Astral Dog

Yeah, of course the Swktch is a Wii U successor. Nothing Monster or Fire Emblem over here and a REAL 4DS will get made 👌

Nintendo made the entire premise of this thread and every 3DS thread that was spawned for the same reason look real dumb and stupid REAL QUICK

When will gamers learn?

EDarkness

So the early days of E3 2017 are here and there have been almost no announcements for the NS. Not that I expected much, but I just figured that it was funny since so many people in this thread were saying we should wait until E3. Of course, Nintendo has their own spotlight in a couple of days, but a good chunk of the games announced so far will be skipping the platform.

I will give a shoutout to Microsoft for the Minecraft announcement. My wife was completely happy with this.

Draconian

So the early days of E3 2017 are here and there have been almost no announcements for the NS. Not that I expected much, but I just figured that it was funny since so many people in this thread were saying we should wait until E3. Of course, Nintendo has their own spotlight in a couple of days, but a good chunk of the games announced so far will be skipping the platform.

I will give a shoutout to Microsoft for the Minecraft announcement. My wife was completely happy with this.

We've had two conferences. One from EA, who we already knew are only bringing FIFA, and Microsoft. Are you being serious right now?

Rncewind

I am pretty certain we not gonna get many 3rd party annoucment for switch for obvious reasons. but no point on commenting on this before the spotlight

We've had two conferences. One from EA, who we already knew are only bringing FIFA, and Microsoft. Are you being serious right now?

i think he means that many of the multi games that where on microsoft stage were confirmed to not have a switch version, at least i assume this

UberTag

Seems a little premature given that we've only had an EA conference (who have been notoriously anti-Nintendo for two decades) and a first-party Microsoft conference (and a Switch actually showed up at that thing during the Minecraft segment).

At least save the panic for after the Bethesda conference tonight if they either gloss over Skyrim on Switch or announce it's been delayed into 2018.

EDarkness

i think he means that many of the multi games that where on microsoft stage were confirmed to not have a switch version, at least i assume this

Yep. Even the Code Vein that Namco was "hiding" platforms for some odd reasons isn't coming to the NS. No Dragonball game either, even though Namco is bringing over Xenoverse 2 and One Piece. There have been a whole lot of multi-platform games announced so far and almost none of them have included an NS version.

We did find out that the upcoming FIFA game is at least pretty good, which is great news.

AniHawk

you'll see switch stuff show up from japan and during nintendo directs. western companies won't support the thing outside of family games.

EDarkness

you'll see switch stuff show up from japan and during nintendo directs. western companies won't support the thing outside of family games.

Well, there hasn't been much Japanese stuff, either. You'd think the Dragonball game and Code Vein would have NS versions, but they don't.

boiled goose

good with gravy

I do think third parties are gonna leave money on the table here.

The switch userbase is not the same as the wii or wiiu uerbases.

The dragonball game and other popular ip games not having switch versions is baffling. Maybe next year. Switch userbase still small and Nintendo not known for giving kits and details early.

The uncertainty around online is a valid concern too. Neither consumers nor publishers know what the switch is exactly .

The Giant

Banned

Don't expect many 2017 games coming to switch. 2018 will be a different story.

jmizzal

Well, there hasn't been much Japanese stuff, either. You'd think the Dragonball game and Code Vein would have NS versions, but they don't.

Those two are kinda crazy not to be on Switch and Code Vein is Unreal 4, which they said suppose to have a lot of games in development for Switch. Some of these publishers are about to be in a scramble to get Switch games out now that its successful.

Seems a little premature given that we've only had an EA conference (who have been notoriously anti-Nintendo for two decades) and a first-party Microsoft conference (and a Switch actually showed up at that thing during the Minecraft segment).

At least save the panic for after the Bethesda conference tonight if they either gloss over Skyrim on Switch or announce it's been delayed into 2018.

Why wouldn't they gloss over it? They are charging full price for an old game. They need to get suckers to buy it not get people talking about it and realizing how bad a deal it is.

AniHawk

I do think third parties are gonna leave money on the table here.

The switch userbase is not the same as the wii or wiiu uerbases.

The dragonball game and other popular ip games not having switch versions is baffling. Maybe next year. Switch userbase still small and Nintendo not known for giving kits and details early.

The uncertainty around online is a valid concern too. Neither consumers nor publishers know what the switch is exactly .

if a game is coming early 2018 it was probably starting development in early 2016. nintendo sent out dev kits in late 2016. some companies are making fast work on getting stuff on there - even if they're late ports. nights of azure 2 and fate/extella are good examples of what to start expecting.

imagine the switch being the vita except popular.

asagami_

Banned

And maybe wait for TGS, too. Actually I would expect the Tales of for Switch (whatever that be at the end) be announced in that show.

EDarkness

And maybe wait for TGS, too. Actually I would expect the Tales of for Switch (whatever that be at the end) be announced in that show.

Heh, heh. Now, we wait for TGS....

Still, looking forward to their spotlight on Tuesday. Could be some interesting announcements, but I think people need to keep their expectations in check.

AniHawk

Heh, heh. Now, we wait for TGS....

Still, looking forward to their spotlight on Tuesday. Could be some interesting announcements, but I think people need to keep their expectations in check.

i really only expect nintendo to highlight their first-party games there. i can't recall the last time they promoted a third-party (published) game during the e3 video/conference. was it 2012? the one i really remember is goldeneye on wii in 2010.

EDarkness

i really only expect nintendo to highlight their first-party games there. i can't recall the last time they promoted a third-party (published) game during the e3 video/conference. was it 2012? the one i really remember is goldeneye on wii in 2010.

Hmmm...I don't think they've really been in the position to do something like that in a long time. This year, my gut feeling is that they'll spotlight interesting games from all over...even third parties. This will be equally true if they have a major get like a Final Fantasy game or something like that.

Rncewind

If nintendo is not gonna promote third party games in treehouse nor the spoitlight they not gonna get 3rd partys

AniHawk

Hmmm...I don't think they've really been in the position to do something like that in a long time. This year, my gut feeling is that they'll spotlight interesting games from all over...even third parties. This will be equally true if they have a major get like a Final Fantasy game or something like that.

If nintendo is not gonna promote third party games in treehouse nor the spoitlight they not gonna get 3rd partys

they did promote 3ds, but i can't recall in their direct/showcase/spotlight if they announced third-party stuff there. it's usually at the treehouse live events when they have third-parties on (but even then it's partner titles like monster hunter and fantasy life).

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
2015 with the toys to life game I forgot the name of which got bowser and DK

But also the didn't have many choices, but they had a ton of indie support during the WiiU era

I don't believe for a second that the Dragonball game isn't on the way to Switch. Bamco needs to get the most out of the XV2 port though. Might not be day and date with the other versions, but Extreme Botuden being on 3DS and it being a UE4 title makes it too easy of a choice.

AniHawk

2015 with the toys to life game I forgot the name of which got bowser and DK

But also the didn't have many choices, but they had a ton of indie support during the WiiU era

ah yeah skylanders. thing is nintendo still could have pushed 3ds connections and largely did not.

antibolo

Banned
I don't believe for a second that the Dragonball game isn't on the way to Switch. Bamco needs to get the most out of the XV2 port though. Might not be day and date with the other versions, but Extreme Botuden being on 3DS and it being a UE4 title makes it too easy of a choice.

Man I hope you're right.

Top Bottom