• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of new game announcements for the Nintendo Switch.

I remain completely flummoxed as to why so many people think it is critically important that the Switch receive deeply compromised versions of AAA titles. The audience for those games already has at least one system that can play them better than the Switch can. If Nintendo's strategy is to go after that market they've already lost.

Put another way, if you pretty much only care about AAA games why on earth would you even want the Switch in the first place?

Nintendo is rightly focusing on indies not just because it doesn't have to money-hat them, but because many indie games play to the Switch's strengths -- looking and playing great on the weaker hardware, local co-op, tight gameplay loops that lend themselves to portability, etc.

I just bought a new gaming PC, but for me it's because I'd accept major compromises on visuals in exchange for portability. I still made my purchase assuming no real supports coming tho

Such a weird decision. They probably don't have a Switch devkit yet, like many other developers, lol.

But yes I agree. If it's a 2018 game they might consider porting the game. They still have time.

It's baffling. I'm hoping that they're holding the announcement of the NS version close to the chest right now and it'll be announced at a later date along with the other Darksiders games. I just don't understand why they wouldn't be working on a NS version of the game.
Please stop. ✋

EDarkness

Perhaps because AAA Western third-party games generally haven't sold well on Nintendo consoles?

If that's the case, then why even bother with the Wii U version? They could have canceled that a long time ago, but it's still coming. They've also stated a while back that they have two NS games in development. We know about one of them, but what's the other?

The Wart

There are plenty of games on PS4 and Xbox One already that I would buy, if they were available (as-is or with reasonable compromises) on a portable platform like the Switch. And I'm not sure many of the games I'd want on Switch would have to suffer 'deep compromises'. Especially not relative to the compromises which iterations in big-name franchises had to submit to in order to appear on past portable platforms.
For example, I'm not very big on Call of Duty. I've skipped each entry for years besides Black Ops 3 and haven't regretted it. but I'd buy a new Call of Duty on Switch. I'm not frothing at the mouth to sit down in front of my entertainment setup and boot up Call of Duty, but if I could just grab a portable system and be playing the full game in an online match in less than a minute wherever in my house, and play through the campaign wherever, whenever, in short bursts... yeah, I could get down with that, even despite potential caveats like reduced graphical fidelity or, worst case scenario, fewer players in a match. And there's a number of franchises I feel that way about.

Given how many resources AAA publishers plow into production values and spectacle, I just have a hard time imagining that this sentiment is all that common. Heck, many AAA games are so graphically overstuffed that they don't run all that great on PS4/XBO to begin with, right? So I suspect people would end up pretty disappointed with how they turn out on the Switch, which would run the risk of generating negative press for the system. Also, the PSP and PSV didn't find much success with "console experiences on the go" either.

Though I admit my perspective is colored by that fact that I pretty much never play AAA games anymore.

Lothars

But why is there so much push on the AAA games which are not always better than any other ?
Because it doesn't seem to even be sales related, really just as if that was the only games that matter.

Well... I say that but the thread itself makes no sense from the beginning so I probably answer myself here.
They are not the only games that matter but you can't say that the Switch would be better for getting games like Destiny 2, Star wars Battlefront 2, Call of duty and so on. Maybe they are holding the announcements for some big third party games but history is not kind to Nintendo when they haven't had good third party support since the Gamecube.

I am hopeful for what they announce in E3 and what may be coming in the fall and 2018, it's all up in the air. The good thing is the Switch is selling well and hopefully with some good announcements will keep it up but third parties are very important for a system to supplement the lineup when first party games are not coming out.

Given how many resources AAA publishers plow into production values and spectacle, I just have a hard time imagining that this sentiment is all that common. Heck, many AAA games are so graphically overstuffed that they don't run all that great on PS4/XBO to begin with, right? So I suspect people would end up pretty disappointed with how they turn out on the Switch, which would run the risk of generating negative press for the system. Also, the PSP and PSV didn't find much success with "console experiences on the go" either.

Though I admit my perspective is colored by that fact that I pretty much never play AAA games anymore.
I think games being downgraded on the switch wouldn't be a big deal if they were coming because of what the switch is.

EDarkness

But why is there so much push on the AAA games which are not always better than any other ?
Because it doesn't seem to even be sales related, really just as if that was the only games that matter.

Well... I say that but the thread itself makes no sense from the beginning so I probably answer myself here.

Not sure anyone wants to tackle this, but I think it has a lot to do with perceived quality and importance. My game is indie and I doubt many people care about it at all...and that's fine. However, that can't be said for something like Call of Duty or Battlefield. They're considered the cream of the crop in our business and generally where these games go, people follow. Whether or not they're super excellent games is another topic for discussion, but there is a pedigree there and that means a lot.

Such a weird decision. They probably don't have a Switch devkit yet, like many other developers, lol.

But yes I agree. If it's a 2018 game they might consider porting the game. They still have time.

Please stop. ✋

But the devs of Sine Mora EX and Battle Chasers have kits though, why prioritize those over Darksiders 3? Only explanation is 1. the two we're getting are out a lot sooner and/or 2. DS3 is coming anyway so this topic is all meaningless. :p

EDarkness

But the devs of Sine Mora EX and Battle Chasers have kits though, why prioritize those over Darksiders 3? Only explanation is 1. the two we're getting are out a lot sooner and/or 2. DS3 is coming anyway so this topic is all meaningless. :p

Ah! Battle Chasers! That's the second game. Unless that's a rather new development....

With regards to third party support, there is only a small handful of titles I believe would suit the Switch and its hardware capabilities. I don't want CoD/Assassins Creed/Destiny on it, they would essentially be vastly inferior in comparison to the other platform versions, and that's just because of the type of device that it is and its specs. I think people underestimate how dumbed down some of these games would be, if anything, graphically.

This is always an interesting take to me because... I feel like most of us that love our Switches know that games would take hits, and look like they're running on "LOW" (or worse) graphics settings- we just don't care. As I get older and have less time in front of my TV, having the chance to get a little time in on Assassin's Creed with less-good graphics (as an example) on my lunch breaks at the office would be vastly preferable to me to having to skip the game altogether because I don't have the time to commit to it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Oh look a Switch game announcement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEom_ZoDMhI
C--akNPXoAA9KzW.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/climaxstudios/status/860076147945734144

(Would anyone like to make a thread? I would if I could)
Game gives me a strong ASA vibe!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2VOV6cEBoU

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Can we not wait until E3 before the panic starts settling in?

I don't understand why people were expecting any announcements from Nintendo between the release of the Switch and their E3 Nintendo Direct.

With regards to third party support, there is only a small handful of titles I believe would suit the Switch and its hardware capabilities. I don't want CoD/Assassins Creed/Destiny on it, they would essentially be vastly inferior in comparison to the other platform versions, and that's just because of the type of device that it is and its specs. I think people underestimate how dumbed down some of these games would be, if anything, graphically.
I think you overestimate how weak it is in comparison, especially when you have last gen systems like the 360 having a incredibly decent version of rise of the tomb raider and the switch shitting on the 360 in basically every area

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Cool, I guess.

But titles you'd probably see given away for free on PS+ aren't exactly going to help dispel the notion that everyone is still giving the Switch a wide berth.
I was commenting on the game based on a preview, I don't know what left you with the impression I was ascribing some platform-perception-altering powers to this title.

And apparently not everyone is giving the Switch a wide berth. On the contrary, platform has already established itself as an indie haven. But the high-risk high-budget titles will always be safe-delt by their publishers' upper management, who are responsible to the shareholders for hundreds of millions of cash. That means that switch will get its AAA 3rd-party titles when it shows the necessary body mass. Till then nothing out of the ordinary.

Darksiders 3 skipping Switch is a tragic proof of how the third party support list we got at the January Event cannot be trusted. I adjusted my expectations and expect nothing regarding third party support at E3, you should do so too.

m00h

Banned
Darksiders 3 skipping Switch is a tragic proof of how the third party support list we got at the January Event cannot be trusted. I adjusted my expectations and expect nothing regarding third party support at E3, you should do so too.

What? No! I'll be celebrating that HL3 announcement at the Treehouse event.

How so? THQ Nordic is still bringing other games. I think Codemasters and FROM are the only ones we don't have any definitive announcements from.

EDarkness

How so? THQ Nordic is still bringing other games. I think Codemasters and FROM are the only ones we don't have any definitive announcements from.

Hopefully we'll find out what they're working on sometime soon. Still, it's a good idea to take these lists with a grain of salt. Game development is fluid so anything could change at any given time. Let's just hope that support picks up for the NS in the future.

But TQH Nordic is bringing games to the Switch...

I was commenting on the game based on a preview, I don't know what left you with the impression I was ascribing some platform-perception-altering powers to this title.

And apparently not everyone is giving the Switch a wide berth. On the contrary, platform has already established itself as an indie haven. But the high-risk high-budget titles will always be safe-delt by their publishers' upper management, who are responsible to the shareholders for hundreds of millions of cash. That means that switch will get its AAA 3rd-party titles when it shows the necessary body mass. Till then nothing out of the ordinary.

He's the second person to say how this game won't be a system seller, did anyone say it would be? Very confused by the responses.

But TQH Nordic is bringing games to the Switch...

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I meant big games that aren't glorified tablet games.

THQ Nordic only has 2 titles in development and both of them are tablet games. It's sad.

I hate when publishers are doing this. Either deliver your big games everyone cares about to the console or just don't be on the third party support list. Its misleading and completely useless.

EDarkness

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. I meant big games that aren't glorified tablet games.

THQ Nordic only has 2 titles in development and both of them are tablet games. It's sad.

I hate when publishers are doing this. Either deliver your big games everyone cares about to the console or just don't be on the third party support list.

Is Battle Chasers a tablet game?

I hate when publishers are doing this. Either deliver your big games to the console or just don't be on the third party support list.

I'm going to go off on third party devs soon because the Switch is selling well. There's no reason they can't bring their big friggin games to the Switch. I'll give them a break this year if they want to see the Switch do well, but I need to start hearing announcements.

Everyone says it's easy to develop for and port for. X1 and PS4 are the base so they can bring games to Switch. So I don't want to hear these devs make shit up or I'll believe they have a problem with Nintendo

Part of me thinks the likes of EA and Ubisoft look at the Switch as the next Nintendo handheld (which it is, physically speaking) and therefore will probably look to support it as much as they did the 3DS.

Which basically amounts to about 5 titles each for the duration of the system's life.

While it is much easier to port from Xbox One to Switch than from XBONE or 360 to 3DS, I still have a feeling we won't get more that 'token' support.

Japan should be different as we know their view of a Nintendo handheld is much, much different for the most part.

Wait so Darksiders 3 is a UE4 game? Considering Darksiders 2 did well enough on Wii U to bring Darksiders 1 over after the Wii U was dead and buried, it makes no sense that this would be skipping the Switch, especially if it's a UE4 game.

13ruce

Banned
Wait so Darksiders 3 is a UE4 game? Considering Darksiders 2 did well enough on Wii U to bring Darksiders 1 over after the Wii U was dead and buried, it makes no sense that this would be skipping the Switch, especially if it's a UE4 game.

It could also be because the games are heavily inspired by Zelda, so the Nintendo releases could also be legacy releases.

Anyway i am pretty sure there will be a Switch version. Because why not seems like it even will take a bit of inspiration from the newest Zelda title going by the IGN hands on preview. And porting to Switch seems to be easy going by dev opinions.

royox

I think it's like cinemas. What cinema will have more customers, one with Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Spiderman Homecoming, F&F8 or those cinemas with low budget movies that nobody except hardcores Moviegoers??
(Ok english is not my mother language and that was what google told me to write...was that correct?)

Being "AAA" does not make a game good per se but those games are the most known by the non-neogafposter audience, if you want that audience to buy a console you need those hated AAA games...that or tell old people they can play tennis and bowling at their livingroom.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'm sorry are we listing Street Fighter as like a legit game to get excited about?

I don't think people are saying "get excited for it". They're just saying it is releasing for Switch, which is true. Given how even games like Bomberman have sold, it might be possible that SF2 does well enough for Capcom's likely low expectations.

I agree that as the system sells, more of those AAA games will be announced. It's inevitable. The only real thing I worry about is that they are too late to capitalize on the current excitement. Right now, it seems like NS owners are more than happy to buy or try out new software for the system. By the time these guys jump in, that period may be over and they'll be saying that there's no real market for their games on the system.
I think if any of the AAA games hit Switch by holiday 2018, it may be fine. Unlike the Wii, the emphasis on Switch is basically traditionally controlled games that you can take on the go. Given that the leap from PS360 -> PS4/XB1 isn't as big as previous generations, it may make things a bit easier (as shown by things like ROTR, Titanfall 1, Destiny 1, etc. hitting PS360), although we'll see how Scorpio affects that (I don't think PS4Pro has done too much there). I've also yet to see any experience on current-gen that couldn't essentially be done on last-gen, albeit with compromised graphics/effects. Whether or not devs will be willing to do that though is another thing.

At this point, I'd mostly pay attention to any new game Koei Tecmo, Square Enix, and Sega announce and see whether they're on Switch. Koei-Tecmo is primarily multi-platform and relies on Japan, and Square Enix seems to understand they're one of the few companies outside of Nintendo that can keep dedicated hardware relevant in their home country. Sega's been rewarded by good sales of Puyo Puyo Tetris on Switch, so at the very least I would imagine that franchise and other similar ones continuing alongside Sonic.

jdstorm

Banned
I remain completely flummoxed as to why so many people think it is critically important that the Switch receive deeply compromised versions of AAA titles. The audience for those games already has at least one system that can play them better than the Switch can. If Nintendo's strategy is to go after that market they've already lost.

Put another way, if you pretty much only care about AAA games why on earth would you even want the Switch in the first place?

Nintendo is rightly focusing on indies not just because it doesn't have to money-hat them, but because many indie games play to the Switch's strengths -- looking and playing great on the weaker hardware, local co-op, tight gameplay loops that lend themselves to portability, etc.

Depends what "deeply flawed and compromised" means.

If its a WiiU like situation where companies are leaving out essential features thats a hard pass.

If its a simple resolution bump (even if its 540p or 480p even 360p in portable mode) I personally wouldnt care, and its likely a good portion of Rainbow six siege's 10M registered players wouldn't care either since that game runs at 540p on PS4

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I still just wish all 3 major console players gave us a better look forward at their downloadable stuff for say the whole month or couple of months.

I hate this random fucking guessing game on what's coming in terms of downloads only to be told like the day of in the Nintendo press release or the week of on the PS Blog.

Give me a road map for the month so I can better​ plan out my purchases.

bounchfx

funny because I can't get over the fact that there's SO many more games than I anticipated the system having, and especially so early. Lots of great smaller titles.

I hate when publishers are doing this. Either deliver your big games everyone cares about to the console or just don't be on the third party support list. Its misleading and completely useless.
You clearly don't know what Battlechasers or Sine Mora are if you are calling them "glorified tablet games"

It could also be because the games are heavily inspired by Zelda, so the Nintendo releases could also be legacy releases.

Anyway i am pretty sure there will be a Switch version. Because why not seems like it even will take a bit of inspiration from the newest Zelda title going by the IGN hands on preview. And porting to Switch seems to be easy going by dev opinions.

Porting a UE4 game to Switch is even easier. Snake Pass was ported in a week. As someone who's used UE4 for very, very small projects, I believe it literally is as simple as pressing a button, and then going through the entire game to optimize performance and check for errors.

KtSlime

Part of me thinks the likes of EA and Ubisoft look at the Switch as the next Nintendo handheld (which it is, physically speaking) and therefore will probably look to support it as much as they did the 3DS.

Which basically amounts to about 5 titles each for the duration of the system's life.

While it is much easier to port from Xbox One to Switch than from XBONE or 360 to 3DS, I still have a feeling we won't get more that 'token' support.

Japan should be different as we know their view of a Nintendo handheld is much, much different for the most part.

I have been thinking about this a bit for the past few days, why the Nintendo system does not sell many 3rd party western games. Many people like to blame Nintendo's gamers, but I don't think this is right. I think the true problem lies in advertising. People don't buy games they don't know about.

I have not lived in the US for many years, but I certainly recall seeing commercials for games on Xbox and Playstation, usually the ending screen would show the platform it was being advertised for, sometimes it would show only one or two platforms, even know there were three consoles on market.

So I went to Youtube to watch some commercials for Darksiders, Madden, Assassins Creed 3, etc. You know what they all had in common, none of them advertised the Wii U version of the game. The Wii U commercials I could find were always of exclusives for Wii U, Lego games, Nintendo games, and Nintendo published games. The developers are releasing games without advertising. Does any one know why they would do this? Can anyone find commercials advertising these games, because I couldn't.

Porting a UE4 game to Switch is even easier. Snake Pass was ported in a week. As someone who's used UE4 for very, very small projects, I believe it literally is as simple as pressing a button, and then going through the entire game to optimize performance and check for errors.

Be a hero and start knocking on publishers' doors, do it for Switch GAF! :p

Be a hero and start knocking on publishers' doors, do it for Switch GAF! :p

I would if I knew anyone in the industry!

Just to clarify, those are just small hobby projects I've worked on alone and will never see the light of day beyond a few youtube demos.

And even if it is that easy to actually port (which it may very well be) I understand that there are plenty of other barriers to getting a game on a platform, probably the biggest of which for most AAA developers is complying with Nintendo's eshop and online platform. And compressing assets so that they don't have to pay for 64gb game cards.

Having a Switch, PS4 Pro, and a gaming PC... I'd honestly prefer to buy most of my AAA games on Switch if they came to it.

If Cod WWII comes out on Switch I'll buy it day one to have a decent portable FPS. Graphical settings and resolution downgrades and all. I'm not going to buy it otherwise until there's a deep discount sale on the PC version.

My PS4 Pro is for exclusives or games that get absolutely broken PC ports.

If I'm going to be shackled to a stationary device to play, I'll buy for PC 90% of the time.

My switch is for portable games that I can also play at home.... And this is something I'd choose over shinier graphics most often.

What good are those extra settings doing me if I'm not at home to see them? With Switch, it feels like I'm actually getting to play games again since I can pull it out and play whenever a have a few minutes.

Interfectum

Having a Switch, PS4 Pro, and a gaming PC... I'd honestly prefer to buy most of my AAA games on Switch if they came to it.

If Cod WWII comes out on Switch I'll buy it day one to have a decent portable FPS. Graphical settings and resolution downgrades and all. I'm not going to buy it otherwise until there's a deep discount sale on the PC version.

My PS4 Pro is for exclusives or games that get absolutely broken PC ports.

If I'm going to be shackled to a stationary device to play, I'll buy for PC 90% of the time.

My switch is for portable games that I can also play at home.... And this is something I'd choose over shinier graphics most often.

What good are those extra settings doing me if I'm not at home to see them? With Switch, it feels like I'm actually getting to play games again since I can pull it out and play whenever a have a few minutes.

Pretty much my exact thoughts and system setup. I'll gladly take a lesser version on Switch due to the versatility of the system.

I really hope E3 brings us some AAA surprises.

orioto

Good Art™
There are big AAA solo games, that people probably play for the spectacle, like naughty dogs games, and there are games based on competition and multi. Those later games would benefit from a local multi on Switch i think. Overwatch etc..

Those games have community of players. Friends playing the game would love to be able to play it physically in the same place (or outside!), which is not possible right now except maybe in some foggy lan pubs i guess.

Top Bottom