• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian early copy impressions thread

Ok, so here are my impressions after finishing the game. I reached the ending yesterday so I've had some time to collect my thoughts.

Don't worry I won't post any spoilerish stuff for the story. Just talking gameplay.

- TLG feels like a combination between Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. There's gameplay elements from both games.
- It has some beautiful views and sceneries. I definitely recommend taking your time to look around every once and a while.

- The game feels pretty dated in a lot of spots. The controls are pretty terrible and I had a hard time controlling the kid. I got used to it in the end but adjust your expectations
- The frame rate is really, really, bad. Haven't played a game that stuttered this bad in a while.
- Trico is really slow to respond to your commands. It sometimes doesn't feel like he understands you at all. So you end up being frustrated a lot.

- Having said all that there is a certain something that only seems to be around in games from Team Ico. You'll grow attached to Trico real quick (like in the first 15 minutes) even though he can be really annoying. That is definitely something a lot of other developers should aspire to achieve. This weird creature has more personality than 99% of all main characters in video games.

In contrast to TLG, how did you think SotC controls felt?

Gestault

I feel like the only possible effect of having the length of a game "spoiled" is having expectations adjusted closer to reality.

Z3M0G

So did the people who provided the first impressions, especially the block of spoiler text, play with or without the 1.01 patch?? Redditor makes it sound like it makes a HUGE difference.

KodaRuss

So did the people who provided the first impressions, especially the block of spoiler text, play with or without the 1.01 patch?? Redditor makes it sound like it makes a HUGE difference.

I hope that is true and it would definitely make sense. I have the CE purchased so if the framerate is no good I will deal with it. I have been playing a lot of 60fps games lately so anything is going to be jarring at this point.

Z3M0G

12 hours is LONG for this "franchise"... almost too long. I hope it remains enjoyable for that much time and has a comfortable pace.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
People saying this feels like Ico and SotC; does the "feels like SotC" part mean anything remotely close to boss encounters, or does that just mean climbing Trico's fur?

Ok, so here are my impressions after finishing the game. I reached the ending yesterday so I've had some time to collect my thoughts.

Don't worry I won't post any spoilerish stuff for the story. Just talking gameplay.

- TLG feels like a combination between Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. There's gameplay elements from both games.
- It has some beautiful views and sceneries. I definitely recommend taking your time to look around every once and a while.

- The game feels pretty dated in a lot of spots. The controls are pretty terrible and I had a hard time controlling the kid. I got used to it in the end but adjust your expectations
- The frame rate is really, really, bad. Haven't played a game that stuttered this bad in a while.
- Trico is really slow to respond to your commands. It sometimes doesn't feel like he understands you at all. So you end up being frustrated a lot.

- Having said all that there is a certain something that only seems to be around in games from Team Ico. You'll grow attached to Trico real quick (like in the first 15 minutes) even though he can be really annoying. That is definitely something a lot of other developers should aspire to achieve. This weird creature has more personality than 99% of all main characters in video games.
Sounds like my GOTY, I know for a fact I won't have any problem with controls, really don't get this. Been gaming for almost 20+ years and never found a control scheme I don't adjust to within 20-30 minutes.

Tks for the impressions though...Sounds like another beautiful Ueda game is headed our way next week!

Z3M0G

So did you have the 1.01 patch?

bumpkin

All I'm hoping is that the Amazon preorder for the CE I bought from a GAF'er who's banned now is still a-okay and comes next week. :(

God, if this game is great, and after how good FFXV turned out, I'm going to feel downright spoiled.

The technical issues don't worry me too much as vanilla SOTC was also kind of a mess and I barely paid mind because of how amazing it was.

12 hours is LONG for this "franchise"... almost too long. I hope it remains enjoyable for that much time and has a comfortable pace.
I wouldn't say that

Ico was around 6 hours
SoTC was around 8/9
This seems around 10/12

Seems like a natural progression

Do we know if MAJOR SPOILERS
either the boy or the catbird thing dies?

I don't give a fuck about spoilers. I literally cannot play until I know the answer.

SomTervo

God, if this game is great, and after how good FFXV turned out, I'm going to feel downright spoiled.

The technical issues don't worry me too much as vanilla SOTC was also kind of a mess and I barely paid mind because of how amazing it was.

Not to mention even watch dogs 2 is phenomenal

Again, what a time to be alive

brau

All these impressions at a glance sound great. Glad i am coming into this with a media blackout. Its gonna be amazing.

Also, read about no Pro support information yet? i was hoping to get a good High Quality mode in scaled 4k with HDR.

Either way. Its just around the corner!!!

All these impressions at a glance sound great. Glad i am coming into this with a media blackout. Its gonna be amazing.

Also, read about no Pro support information yet? i was hoping to get a good High Quality mode in scaled 4k with HDR.

Either way. Its just around the corner!!!

pleasebeexcited.jpg

Salaadin

So did you have the 1.01 patch?
Is there even a way to play unpatched games on ps4? Unplug from the internet?
I'm assuming that all these impressions are coming from people who patched the game.

I'm a little concerned about frame rate, tbh. I don't want my launch PS4 to lag behind.

Sounds pretty much as expected, a few issues but overall a good game, though your miles may vary, depending on if you liked Ico and SotC or not.

Can't wait to get this game now, as someone who loved Ico and SotC, it sounds like it won't disappoint.

Fbh

Sounds good.

Still dissapointed to hear about the technial issues though. Yeah SOTC had technical issues too, but it was also doing stuff no other game that generation was doing (and, to be honest, almost no game has done since). This doesn't seem to be the case here, with the graphics we have seen I was expecting pretty much locked 30fps from this.

Still, excited to finally play this

Deku Tree

I'm assuming that all these impressions are coming from people who patched the game.

I'm a little concerned about frame rate, tbh. I don't want my launch PS4 to lag behind.

You can turn off downloading patches. But you can't use online features without the latest patch.

Sounds good.

Still dissapointed to hear about the technial issues though. Yeah SOTC had technical issues too, but it was also doing stuff no other game that generation was doing (and, to be honest, almost no game has done since). This doesn't seem to be the case here, with the graphics we have seen I was expecting pretty much locked 30fps from this.

The animations seem to be the "thing no other game this generation is doing" here

ghibli99

I want this now! Oh man, those impressions in the OP. Everything I hoped it would be, and I went in with a healthy dose of skepticism (for me, anyway). SOTC is one of my GOTG's, and it's wonderful to hear that I may walk away after finishing this game feeling like I've played its equal. I watched EC's animation breakdown of SOTC, and he throws in just a few seconds of TLG's run cycle, and it's crazy how improved it is over both previous games. I think many people are not giving TLG's animation and attention to detail enough credit, perhaps because it's so good that we don't really notice it when viewing it as a whole. Tuesday can't come soon enough, even though I have way too many games I'm playing right now. They'll have to wait once this arrives. :)

That's right, Ico WAS my favorite.

Reddit

giphy.gif

My collecters edition can't come soon enough.

Sounds good.

what other game is doing AI anywhere close to Trico tho?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
On a bit of a random note its always funny to hear Ueda talk about wanting to make a racing game or other more "normal" games. I wonder what an Ueda designed FPS would be like.

ghibli99

Rain World. Probably actually more advanced than Trico's AI. There's good reason why Ueda said he loved the game's tech
Dang, thought this might be something that was already out. Appreciate you bringing this game to my attention, though -- it looks really good.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah this game needs fetch quests and open world bloat with a map littered with icons.
Why even bother making games if you cant manage this?
Fucking lazy devs.

Upgrade your trico with rocket launchers, racing stripes and the day 1 gold edition skin you get for pre orders over 5 years old.

ethomaz

Banned

You can play every non online multiplayer mode without patch on PS4.

JTripper

On one hand, a long development process for a 12 hour game could mean 12 concise hours of high quality.
I hope

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I never understood how someone could complete ICO on their first playthrough. ICO was an 8-12 hour game with SOTC more of a 10-14 hour game. ICO especially was almost perfectly paced from start to finish.

Impressions sound great so far.

ethomaz

Banned
I never understood how someone could complete ICO on their first playthrough. ICO was an 8-12 hour game with SOTC more of a 10-14 hour game. ICO especially was almost perfectly paced from start to finish.

Impressions sound great so far.
It was really immersive enough to you don't want to stop to play :D

ICO is nowhere near 8 hours.

Edit - http://www.gamelengths.com/games/playtimes/ICO+HD/

Avg. time 6 hours... you can finish in 2 hours in speed run... there is even a trophy for that.

Sorry if answered, was this with the patch that I read makes trico respond better?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Rain World. Probably actually more advanced than Trico's AI. There's good reason why Ueda said he loved the game's tech
I really doubt that. That game looks cool, don't get me wrong, but this kind of thing is far more difficult to convincingly pull off when you have to work in realistic looking 3D.

I think the length for TLG is at a sensible spot. It seems long enough to (hopefully) give the player a good sense of journey and time to build a memorable relationship with Trico, without (hopefully) outstaying its welcome. I know TLG will be a lot more contained like Ico, so it's not really a game I'd want to be dragged out. I think I spent a lot of time in SotC just happily exploring and going on a regrettable lizard killing spree, let alone spending an hour alone on a few of the colossi. (3rd and 9th colossi, you are dicks.)

I've never braved the trophy, but it's impressive that Ico can have a speedrun of under two hours. I hope TLG doesn't have a speedrun trophy, unless it's really generous, as wrangling Trico would make a speedrun harder.

I keep hearing about Rain World and its AI, but I hadn't looked at a trailer before. Wow, I'm really intrigued.

Animations and AI is probably the things I'm most excited about. Not many games focus on advance AI, and most don't try to do natural animal movement

Top Bottom