• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Muffdraul

Sigh. I've been so busy that I failed to notice the Amazon email saying "We tried to process this order but payment was declined." I pre-ordered so long ago that it was an old expired credit card. Now after waiting all these years I won't get it on day 1. Eh, if I really wanted to I could just cancel and go buy it at Target or whatever. Fuck it, I'll be busy with FFXV for a few more days anyhow.

MrHoot

It's funny too how I looked at my cat tonight after playing and she gave me a look that reminded me immediately of Trico. Being a pet owner and playing this game is gonna kill me

Bluecondor

;_;

this is really sad but your cat is beautiful. RIP <3

Aw - thanks! I appreciate the compliment.

Ya - I don't think I could have handled playing this game back in the summer, as even seeing the trailer at E3 was emotional. But - I'm at peace with it now, so I 'm going to enjoy the great memories that this game will bring every time Trico behaves in way that reminds me of her.

Was going to play Steins;Gate 0 first after I finish the Pokemon Sun pokedex, but I think this will take priority.

Going to buy this and Final Fantasy Versus XIII together. Surreal.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Played the first half hour or so.

Man, I've missed Ueda's games so much, and I didn't even realize. I may need to replay SotC and ICO again after this.

TimeEffect, thanks for posting this beautiful drawing.

Your drawing captures my feelings toward this game. I had a great cat in my life named Babe, who is pictured sitting on my lap on the right. Ever since I first saw the trailer back in 2009, Trico's movements and mannerisms reminded me of Babe (my cats, Babe and Ruth, were born in 2008 and named by a woman at the animal shelter). And, the more that I heard about how you couldn't control Trico in the game, because he had a mind of his own, I would smile at how this reminds me of me of her (Babe).

I7r0ERi.jpg

Sadly, Babe passed away suddenly this April shortly before her 8th birthday. I apologize for such a sad picture, but I wanted to post this along with your drawing because this brings me great joy.

I was listening to the IGN review earlier today, and this point of "criticism" just caught my attention:

"The problem here is that there were countless times where I’d mentally solved a puzzle and knew exactly what to do, only to find that Trico stubbornly refused to go to the spot I needed him to get to. Whether he was facing the wrong direction and refused to turn around or was just a few steps to either side of where he needed to be to initiate a jump, I became exhausted by his refusal to heed my commands. A little bit of this obstinance added to Trico’s charm, but it happened far too often, so most of the time it just bombarded me with frustration and made me lose any feeling that I existed in this world."

While I see his rationale point as a video game reviewer, his description of this reminds me of my numerous failed efforts to try and help my cat when she passed away. Babe stopped eating and would withdrew to places in my house where the light wouldn't bother her - despite my desperate attempts to feed her and give her medicine. I was always comforted though by the thought that she was going out on her own terms, and that my attempts to keep her going were simply not what she felt like putting up with anymore.

Man - it's going to be awesome to play this game. I miss that obstinance and all that charm. I'm actually looking forward to getting stuck multiple times in the midst of a difficult puzzle that I could easily solve if Trico would just do things my way.

Thanks again for the drawing TimeEffect.....

Thank u for sharing that :)

You sound like you were a very loving owner and I'm sure your cat appreciated that.

I want to clarify that I did not draw that picture. It was found online and I wish i knew the exact source

Inviusx

I'm trying to avoid gameplay as much as possible but can anyone confirm if Trico is actually AI driven or is he scripted?

I'm talking about AI driven like the Alien from Isolation.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I wish I could wipe my brain and play again.

I'm trying to avoid gameplay as much as possible but can anyone confirm if Trico is actually AI driven or is he scripted?

I'm talking about AI driven like the Alien from Isolation.

Extremely unscripted.

Just played the first hour...

Man....this game is just incredible.

Every moment in the game is just so special. SOTC is one of my favorite games of all time and Im getting a similar feeling playing this.

Love this story. These games always make my imagination fly and i kinda feel like Ueda when he wanted to find a way to make something memorable, and i feel like videogames are the answer. But i don't know where to start. How do you get into game design?

Damn his games are truly inspiring.

You play as much as you can, take any base idea and try and figure out how to make it playable and then run with it - it's one of the most liberating things you can do. I started mostly by mapping out the level design in ICO and the world map in Majora's Mask and seeing how they fit into place and "worked".
His games are so inspiring and I'm sooo certain I'm gonna cry when I get this in the post lmao

Bluecondor

Thank u for sharing that :)

You sound like you were a very loving owner and I'm sure your cat appreciated that.

I want to clarify that I did not draw that picture. It was found online and I wish i knew the exact source

Aw - thanks.

That drawing is a nice find. It just captures the spirit of the game so well.

You play as much as you can, take any base idea and try and figure out how to make it playable and then run with it - it's one of the most liberating things you can do. I started mostly by mapping out the level design in ICO and the world map in Majora's Mask and seeing how they fit into place and "worked".
His games are so inspiring and I'm sooo certain I'm gonna cry when I get this in the post lmao
Y2Kev's impressions made it sound like the level design here is like Ico on steroids

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is there any where to listen to the OST?

The game is the perfect length. I think it's probably around ~12 hrs. Any more and you'd lose interest. Any less and you'd feel unfulfilled. It's really a lot.

Y2Kev's impressions made it sound like the level design here is like Ico on steroids

It's definitely ICO on steroids. It wraps around on itself in a far more convincing manner.

I want to replay ICO and SotC before I dive into TLG. But I'm out of the loop, I have the "remastered" copy of ICO and SotC (2 games in 1)disc for my PS3.

My question is, is there a newer re-remastered version of those game on the PS4? Basically what's the best way to play the original two Ueda games?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I want to replay ICO and SotC before I dive into TLG. But I'm out of the loop, I have the "remastered" copy of ICO and SotC (2 games in 1)disc for my PS3.

My question is, is there a newer re-remastered version of those game on the PS4? Basically what's the best way to play the original two Ueda games?

No, ps3 is best to play.

I'm so happy this game is as long as it is. SoTC was around 9-10 hours, and it was awesome, but the concept did mean it was relatively contained compared to Ico's environment and such. Now we get a similar length but Ueda's able to go all out with different settings and scenarios, without the constraints of a minimalist boss battle premise

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Haha the OP was a good trip down memory lane!
Can't believe we'll actually play this in the next day or so.

Haines

Banned
Played an hours worth and loved it.

The 1080p mode is best on pro. Tried 4k after 45 minutes in and it felt really bad. The kmage was cleaner but the frame rate ruined it.

So 1080p mode is highly reccomended for 4k users I would say. The hdr in this game is great too.

BigEmil

I'm wowed by the lighting, sceneries, graphics, animations, physics, ai etcetc.
Much more than the little they shown in the trailers
If a person played this and still comes up and says this is PS3 their eyes are fucked, PS3 alone wouldn't be properly able to render Trico's model alone

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I should get my copy tomorrow, but now considering waiting until I get a Pro till Christmas to play it.
Definitely have your first playthrough on the Pro if possible. I'd honestly wait till you can get the best experience possible for your first playthrough. :)

I got my copy today from Best Buy and started playing. My 5 year old son knew I was excited for this game and he asked to watch so of course I said he could. His bedtime rolled around (it is a school night afterall) so I paused the game to tuck him in. He looks me straight in the eye and asks if we can play more tomorrow so I said of course, we own it so we can play anytime. I turn to leave his room and I hear, "Dad?" I turn around and ask, "Yeah?" "Can you not play anymore tonight without me? I want to see what happens to Trico." I smiled and said, "Of course." I go back to my paused game, select return to title and close out of it.

I'm genuinely frustrated that Ueda's first two games aren't on PS4. There's really nothing I want more than all three of his games on the platform. Hopefully Bluepoint is given the opportunity to port over their incredible set of remasters to the system someday.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm genuinely frustrated that Ueda's first two games aren't on PS4. There's really nothing I want more than all three of his games on the platform. Hopefully Bluepoint is given the opportunity to port over their incredible set of remasters to the system someday.

Wait for the Tricology next PSX with all three of Team Ico's games in one package.

we can hope

Salaadin

Is there any where to listen to the OST?

From the PS blog:
"The Last Guardian Composer’s Choice PS4 Music App of the score featuring 19 tracks will be available separately at launch via the PlayStation Store. The soundtrack app supports both stereo and surround playback, and also allows users to export all the tracks as stereo MP3 files via a compatible USB drive. The soundtrack will also be available via iTunes at a later date."

So I guess that means it'll be up for purchase tomorrow

TimeEffect, thanks for posting this beautiful drawing.

Your drawing captures my feelings toward this game. I had a great cat in my life named Babe, who is pictured sitting on my lap on the right. Ever since I first saw the trailer back in 2009, Trico's movements and mannerisms reminded me of Babe (my cats, Babe and Ruth, were born in 2008 and named by a woman at the animal shelter). And, the more that I heard about how you couldn't control Trico in the game, because he had a mind of his own, I would smile at how this reminds me of me of her (Babe).

I7r0ERi.jpg

Sadly, Babe passed away suddenly this April shortly before her 8th birthday. I apologize for such a sad picture, but I wanted to post this along with your drawing because this brings me great joy.

I was listening to the IGN review earlier today, and this point of "criticism" just caught my attention:

"The problem here is that there were countless times where I’d mentally solved a puzzle and knew exactly what to do, only to find that Trico stubbornly refused to go to the spot I needed him to get to. Whether he was facing the wrong direction and refused to turn around or was just a few steps to either side of where he needed to be to initiate a jump, I became exhausted by his refusal to heed my commands. A little bit of this obstinance added to Trico’s charm, but it happened far too often, so most of the time it just bombarded me with frustration and made me lose any feeling that I existed in this world."

While I see his rationale point as a video game reviewer, his description of this reminds me of my numerous failed efforts to try and help my cat when she passed away. Babe stopped eating and would withdrew to places in my house where the light wouldn't bother her - despite my desperate attempts to feed her and give her medicine. I was always comforted though by the thought that she was going out on her own terms, and that my attempts to keep her going were simply not what she felt like putting up with anymore.

Man - it's going to be awesome to play this game. I miss that obstinance and all that charm. I'm actually looking forward to getting stuck multiple times in the midst of a difficult puzzle that I could easily solve if Trico would just do things my way.

Thanks again for the drawing TimeEffect.....

Your post was very moving. I lost my 13 year-old cat to cancer a few years ago, and the wounds are still sore. I hope I can handle this game.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
I got my copy today from Best Buy and started playing. My 5 year old son knew I was excited for this game and he asked to watch so of course I said he could. His bedtime rolled around (it is a school night afterall) so I paused the game to tuck him in. He looks me straight in the eye and asks if we can play more tomorrow so I said of course, we own it so we can play anytime. I turn to leave his room and I hear, "Dad?" I turn around and ask, "Yeah?" "Can you not play anymore tonight without me? I want to see what happens to Trico." I smiled and said, "Of course." I go back to my paused game, select return to title and close out of it.
Between that post and your avatar, you are the most adorable man on the god damn planet.

Top Bottom