• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The last male northern white rhino is under armed guard in Kenya

Status
Not open for further replies.
xWC4VlS.jpg

The last male northern white rhino is under armed guard 24 hours a day at a Kenyan reserve to protect him from poachers.

The rhino, named Sudan, is cared for by rangers at Ol Pejeta Conservancy in Kenya, along with his two female companions.

The trio make up three of the last five northern white rhinos on earth – two other females are also in captivity.

Sudan is fitted with radio transmitters to increase security and has had his horns removed to deter poachers.

“With the rising demand for rhino horn and ivory, we face many poaching attempts and while we manage to counter a large number of these, we often risk our lives in the line of duty,” said one of Sudan’s rangers, Simor Irungu in an interview with UK's World of Animals.

According to the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), there were more than 2,000 northern white rhinos as late as 1960. However, high levels of poaching mean that there were only 15 animals left in 1980, and only five by 2015. Kenya Wildlife services have suggested that 54 rhinos were killed by poachers in 2014.

The only other male northern white rhino left on earth died last autumn, of natural causes.

Scientists are now turning their attention to trying to mate Sudan with one of the other two females at the reserve.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...w-be-kept-under-armed-guard-247-10171204.html

They removed his horn to negate his value to poachers. How sad that its come down to this. Hopefully they can successfully mate with the two females but even if they do that doesnt seem viable in the long term unless poachers are addressed directly and forcefully.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
xWC4VlS.jpg

They removed his horn to negate his value to poachers. How sad that its come down to this. Hopefully they can successfully mate with the two females but even if they do that doesnt seem viable in the long term unless poachers are addressed directly and forcefully.

It's sad. Being forceful with poachers hasn't seemed to work so far. Maybe give them an economic alternative to poaching will work. I read that some poachers were given jobs as guides for game hunters on trips to hunt non-endangered animals. Just a thought. From afar, it seems the approach to stopping poaching hasn't worked so far.

Alx

Yeah it's already over when there are so few specimens alive. I hope they stored many DNA samples, in case there is a way to recreate the population in the future. :/

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
who the hell is buying all this ivory

It's sad, but the Middle Class and Upper Class of China adore Ivory for how clean and white it looks. It is often shaped into religion iconography, such as Buddha statues, which is pathetic mockery of many of the values of the belief. They also sometimes have them fashioned into ancestors or famous people in Chinese History. The whiter the ivory, the purer the ivory is thought be, and the purer material is thought fit for this iconography.

It's also seen in general as something to spend their wealth on for prestige and image. Many Chinese companies dealing with Ivory work with poachers to illegally acquire the Ivory. China has a very high influence in Africa right now as well.

It's sad. Being forceful with poachers hasn't seemed to work so far. Maybe give them an economic alternative to poaching will work. I read that some poachers were given jobs as guides for game hunters on trips to hunt non-endangered animals. Just a thought. From afar, it seems the approach to stopping poaching hasn't worked so far.

What's considered "forceful"? Have they tried heads on pikes?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yeah it's already over when there are so few specimens alive. I hope they stored many DNA samples, in case there is a way to recreate the population in the future. :/

Basically. We're just witnessing a drawn out end to extinction here.

I kinda wonder why no one has thought of figuring out a way of commercializing rhinos for their horns if it's in such demand?

RS4-

Seriously. Hate to say it, but anything less than an "agressive response" against the poachers, and severe penalties for identified buyers of the product is useless, it would seem.

This is how I feel too, should really do something about them.

CTLance

Man, with only five individuals left and only one male among them, the species is extinct, even if there are still living specimens around.

... well, at least the last male gets to go out in style, surrounded by a harem and bodyguards.

We humans are such stupid fucktards sometimes.

Tragic.

Someone explain to me how can you save a species with only having one male specimen? Ok they have a baby rhino, maybe two baby rhinos and then... what? What if the two babies are two males?

Like, they are extinct right now anyway... they can have tanks and helis patrolling the rhino but it is too late anyway.

Or maybe... Adam + Eve scenario ;)

Clearos

and when the Rhino (including the black and white rhinos) become extinct there will be a new rare animal that will magically contain healing properties.

MegaPanda

Tragic.

Someone explain to me how can you save a species with only having one male specimen? Ok they have a baby rhino, maybe two baby rhinos and then... what? What if the two babies are two males?

Like, they are extinct right now anyway... they can have tanks and helis patrolling the rhino but it is too late anyway.

I mean, it's guard the rhino, leave him alone to get poached, or lock him up in a zoo or something. There aren't many options here but at least guarding him will let him live out his life till the end

Tragic.

I would imagine that there is genetic material saved from the more recently poached rhinos. I'm not a biologist, but I think there is some hope for genetically modifying embryos to diversify the population if they can start growing it again. I'm not sure how in vitro fertilization has gone with this species, however (or if those efforts are being made).

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Chinese idiotic medicine and rich art. Very sad, do they not realise what they're doing.

the fewer rhinos there are, the most expensive and rare ivory gets. they know exactly what they're doing: pushing up the price of their product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom