• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The last male northern white rhino is under armed guard in Kenya

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an idea, how about you cut off rhino horns on a consistent basis and simply make them legal and sell them

Anytime you make something illegal it creates a black market

People are so stupid. Seriously, just have farms of rhinos and cut their horns off. It does not hurt them and they grow back.

Flood the market with this Rhino horn, evaporate poachers and the black market.

Of course this will never happen since its the obvious and only solution.

What if there's too little a demand to support the infrastructure and wages of people that would breed/farm Rhinos? These things are useless, after all.

That can't be true because the demand is high enough that people are paying thousands and poachers who are basically SEAL Teams with helicopters and tranq guns and 100,000s of dollars in equipment are coming in to get these horns.

They wouldn't even need to breed the Rhinos initially, the government/wildlife reserves can start this process with the current Rhino population and start supplying their horns openly to the market.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
That can't be true because the demand is high enough that people are paying thousands and poachers who are basically SEAL Teams with helicopters and tranq guns and 100,000s of dollars in equipment are coming in to get these horns.

True, but I was thinking they only paid that much because it's a rarity to have these horns. Price would go waaay down if you made them a common commodity, methinks.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I forgot where I heard it, maybe discovery or natgeo but aren't squid basically taking over the Indian and Atlantic because of the diminishing population of sharks?
Global warming disrupts important currents and acidifies the ocean, overfishing is nowhere near controlled, drilling and trawling destroys habitats, plastic pollution kills more on top, midwest farming chemicals drain to cause a growing dead zone, most "farms" don't accomplish what they aim in the slightest, and yes our fishing destroys species balance as well. 90% of all sea life that once was died this past century. We're 50 or so years out from a total collapse. I hope humanity enjoys waiting another 400 million years for a new food web to evolve because that's what we'll be stuck with.

A couple important books on the subject:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1426206399/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0143123483/?tag=neogaf0e-20

M3d10n

Global warming disrupts important currents and acidifies the ocean, overfishing is nowhere near controlled, drilling and trawling destroys habitats, plastic pollution kills more on top, midwest farming chemicals drain to cause a growing dead zone, most "farms" don't accomplish what they aim in the slightest, and yes our fishing destroys species balance as well. 90% of all sea life that once was died this past century. We're 50 or so years out from a total collapse. I hope humanity enjoys waiting another 400 million years for a new food web to evolve because that's what we'll be stuck with.

A couple important books on the subject:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1426206399/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0143123483/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yup. Seafood will become a synonymous to jellyfish in our lifetimes.

Az987

all good things
Tragic.

Someone explain to me how can you save a species with only having one male specimen? Ok they have a baby rhino, maybe two baby rhinos and then... what? What if the two babies are two males?

Like, they are extinct right now anyway... they can have tanks and helis patrolling the rhino but it is too late anyway.

Or maybe... Adam + Eve scenario ;)

5 females, 1 male.

Male mates with 1 female and hopefully creates another male. Male baby is mated with one of the remaining 4 females. There, I saved the species without resorting to inbreeding.

Maengun1

There's nothing more tragic than a species being completely wiped out by humanity for absolutely no reason. Feels like this is going to get more and more common.

The Earth is well and truly fucked.

So, killing a rhino because its horn is a "medicine" = frivolous, but killing a pig because bacon tastes great = not frivolous? Smh indeed.

It's horn is not medicine. At best, it's horn is a placebo. Rhino are not domesticated. We don't raise thousands of them on farms. Pigs as a species are doing fine and dandy because we provide for them. We only take away from rhino, be it their habitats or their lives. We aren't eating pigs into extinction. We are driving rhinos (elephants, tigers, etc) into total species death for no good reason.

There's nothing more tragic than a species being completely wiped out by humanity for absolutely no reason. Feels like this is going to get more and more common.

The Earth is well and truly fucked.

Want something more depressing to think about?

In ten years, we're going to start reading articles about how these psuedo-science motherfuckers are complaining about how there is a crisis in the herbal medicine field due to a lack of animals.

So, killing a rhino because its horn is a "medicine" = frivolous, but killing a pig because bacon tastes great = not frivolous? Smh indeed.

That's such a ridiculous argument. I mean, really. It betrays your complete lack of critical thinking about the subject. It's sad.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It's not only china tho! My memory is hazy on this, but I read that the NRA opposed a bill that would've limited or ended import of ivory into the US. I think it was about elephant tusks, but still.

That bill died in committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom