• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Man On Earth |OT| Alone Time With MacGruber - Sundays 9/8c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubz

Banned
Wait, what's with the Schaal hate? And how is she overdone? I only remember her ever being in Bob's Burgers (Still need to see Flight of the Conchords), so I don't know how she's overdone.

I really like the premise; I had an idea like it for a short video in high school, but it never went anywhere, and it wasn't good at all, let alone anywhere near Lord, Miller, & Forte's work here. The premiere was really good; again, I'm nervous if the premise will go anywhere past this, seeing how the next episode's previous was a lot more "looting/outlandish behavior that'd be considered dangerous/destructive in a society" jokes. Plus, I wonder how long Forte and Schaal alone can carry a show on their own, even if Schaal's adherence to rules is at least giving us some conflict to keep the show going.
I didn't see who the other actresses were, but I wonder if they'll keep things interesting when they show up. Will Schaal's character force a love triangle? Will it go the unfortunate-but-justifiable-in-this-situation "harem" route? I have no clue, but it does have me curious to see where this is going next.

EDIT: GAH! I had "Schaal" spelled right the first time, but looking at all of the above posts, I thought I was wrong, so I edited everything into "Schall." Then I looked it up and it is "Schaal!"

He should just kill her.

Give him time...
macgruber-van-explosion-nonononono-o.gif

Kilvin

Just got finished watching the first two episodes and.......pretty good!

I'll continue to watch. I like the contrast between carol and his character even though she is annoying as hell. Though that's the point... And it's what will make the show work.

My favourite part though was the group of sports ball friends A LA Castaway, really funny.

mreddie

Not a bad first outing. Called the twist before half hour mark. Schaal and Forte vibe really well and make sense. Think my only my gripe is that I dunno how many more episodes where Forte/Schaal can carry until the show adds another character.

Plissken

Great first episodes, hopefully they can keep it fresh. As much as I enjoyed the bickering between Carol and Phil, I feel a full season of that would get old fast. But I'll watch as long as Fox keeps it on the air.

Great first episodes, hopefully they can keep it fresh. As much as I enjoyed the bickering between Carol and Phil, I feel a full season of that would get old fast. But I'll watch as long as Fox keeps it on the air.

i think that's what the character development and other cast members are for. i don't think carol will stay the same..hopefully.

enjoyed this pilot quite a bit.

Wow, so just left the TV on after Brooklyn 99, and I really like this show.

I think Kristen Schall's character is perfect for this show's purposes. The only other person left on earth is someone you can't stand. I think that's genius for a sitcom like this.

TripOpt55

I thought this was great. I kind of wanted a little more of him alone before they moved on, but otherwise really good. I was eh on Schaal's character at first, but by the end I like the direction they chose for these two. They work. Tons of funny lines too. And I laughed out loud every time Phil brought out the gun. Good start. I'm in.

Corpekata

Banned
Enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.

Yeah Schaal's character can be irritating but Forte plays really well off it. I loved "That can't be right" after he second Grammar Nazi fit.

Evo X

I really enjoyed it. Will Forte was great. The shooting glass to get into places and parking spot bits were hilarious.

I also laughed out loud near the end of the first episode when he was being held at gunpoint and she was correcting his grammar.

Forte - "I'm harmless. Why don't you put that gun away? What do you need that gun out for?"

Schaal- "Don't you mean out for what do you need that gun?"

Forte- "Ok, that can't be right..."

It was pretty fun. But i'm not sure. First part was a lot better than the second. This woman is annoying as fuck. Should've kept Daddario. It would be like a dream come true. You are the last man on earth and the last woman is Alexandra Daddario.
The gun joke was amazing.

Pop

Hilarious all the way through. Forte doesn't disappoint.

Kinda saw that twist coming, seems to work well though.

Just watched the first episode. I'm on board. Forte and Schaal will be a great combo. Her character is fantastic. I'm riding this show until the inevitable mid-season cancellation.

I'd preorder the DVD/blu-ray right now if possible. I've been a fan of all three of these guys since "Clone High".

Forte walking outside and screaming "It's tomato!" slayed me.

KarmaCow

When she said do me a flavour and mind the stop signs I physically cringed. They did an amazing job at making her completely infuriating. They've set up her as the force that gives Phil some purpose but right now she's just too annoying. But it has only been one real episode.

ivysaur12

Banned
When she said do me a flavour and mind the stop signs I physically cringed. They did an amazing job at making her completely infuriating. They've set up her as the force that gives Phil some purpose but right now she's just too annoying. But it has only been one real episode.

I actually thought they earned back a lot of Carol (Andrew) when you realize that she's being neurotic for the same reasons that Phil is being slovenly -- both are trying to rationalize what's happening.

KarmaCow

I actually thought they earned back a lot of Carol (Andrew) when you realize that she's being neurotic for the same reasons that Phil is being slovenly -- both are trying to rationalize what's happening.

I understand she's coping by rejecting societal breakdown, but it just felt like Carol doesn't really care about Phil outside of that he's Adam to her Eve. Not that Phil is a catch or he initially cared more than that she has female genitalia but Phil at least showed some empathy when he saw her broken on the open air shit fountain. Carol seems like mostly just a joke so far but again, it's been one episode with her so this level of inspection is wasted and what I'm saying is moot.

RS4-

Enjoyed it, I'm in for the season.

When I saw the thread title a few days ago, thought it'd be Y the Last Man lol.

Pretty good. Loved the music.

People complaining that they knew there would be a woman are kind of ridiculous. There was never going to be a long-running comedy TV series about a guy wandering around a completely vacant Arizona with nobody to talk to.

Spoiler alert:
Jason Sudeikis was Phil's brother in the family portrait at the beginning, so I'm willing to bet Phil's brother is going to show up at some point.
Though it could just be flashback.

It's a bit annoying that the last man on Earth is a Slob and the last woman on Earth is a Nag...

Other than that, it's really solid.

Pachimari

Watched this some hours ago. I honestly didn't expect a woman to show up, even though it was obvious. Their interplay is great and it took the episode to new heights. There were a lot of small funny moments and creative scenes, and I laughed at many of them.

I really loved this episode and I will for sure see where this show is going.

[edit]
Is next week's episode Episode 2 or 3?

Watched this some hours ago. I honestly didn't expect a woman to show up, even though it was obvious. Their interplay is great and it took the episode to new heights. There were a lot of small funny moments and creative scenes, and I laughed at many of them.

I really loved this episode and I will for sure see where this show is going.

[edit]
Is next week's episode Episode 2 or 3?
Episode 3 because the one hour premiere was technically 2 episodes.

Loved it and loved the tweets. Definitely plan to keep watching for now. :)

Wonder how many people got/noticed the Terence Trent D'Arby reference.
At least this guy - https://twitter.com/hans0gruber/status/572218825007108096

Someone far more knowledgeable than I:
Is "Out for what do you need that gun?" actually correct, grammar-wise?

If you were one of those peple who cared about prepositions, I think that "For what do you need that gun out?" Would be better. "Why do you need that gun out?" might be best. Although, realistically, "What do you need that gun out for?" is totally fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom