• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us: Late 2012/Early 2013, 3rd Person, [Update 2: More Info In OP]

Pimpbaa

It isn't just the word "experience", it's just this whole paragraph. Makes it sound like gameplay is going to take a backseat to everything else.

Like the Uncharted games, The Last of Us has a third-person perspective, in which you see the character on-screen, but it has a more realistic, cinematic look. "We're trying to move the medium of video games into an area elevated in the same manner of respect of film," Balestra says. "We want to redefine what our medium is even called. 'Video game' is not an accurate name anymore. It is not necessarily a game with rules and a winner and a loser. It's an experience."

It's like they want to say interactive movie.

Riddick

This game is an EXPERIENCE? Pfft, fuck this shit!
I want innovative, genre-pushing, vidyas, BUT I NEVER SIGNED UP FOR THIS EXPERIENCE SHIT.

What does experience means anyway?

Definition - Noun: Practical contact with and observation of facts or events

That sounds booooooooooooooring. Amirite guys?

Naughty Dog's writing is terrible, I wish they would focus on making their gameplay systems good instead of focusing on bullshit. I honestly hope this game seems really badly if it's some QTE driven thing or something so they quit going in a cinematic direction and hopefully start making platformers again.

It isn't just the word "experience", it's just this whole paragraph. Makes it sound like gameplay is going to take a backseat to everything else.

I'm willing to wait and see what the actual game involves.

Personally I will be disappointed if this will be a sugarcoated Uncharted... you already got one kind of gameplay/story-telling covered ND. Dont do something tiring-ly similar... jeez

squidyj

An actually interactive movie would probably be the greatest thing ever so what's your problem?

Emwitus

Naughty Dog's writing is terrible, I wish they would focus on making their gameplay systems good instead of focusing on bullshit. I honestly hope this game seems really badly if it's some QTE driven thing or something so they quit going in a cinematic direction and hopefully start making platformers again.

Compared to what other video games? None of us have watched any gameplay of the last of us. This is the first time i have seen a developer releasing two great games in a row and being criticized for actually buidling on that.

Personally I will be disappointed if this will be a sugarcoated Uncharted... you already got one kind of gameplay/story-telling covered ND. Dont do something tiring-ly similar... jeez

I think it just being M rated going to allow ND to do stuff they could not do in UC .

Compared to what other video games? None of us have watched any gameplay of the last of us. This is the first time i have seen a developer releasing two great games in a row and being criticized for actually buidling on that.

Some people think UC has no gameplay so why even bother sometimes.

This game is an EXPERIENCE? Pfft, fuck this shit!
I want innovative, genre-pushing, vidyas, BUT I NEVER SIGNED UP FOR THIS EXPERIENCE SHIT.

The Last of Us is a genre-defining experience that blends survival and action elements to tell a character driven story about a population decimated by a modern plague. Abandoned cities are being reclaimed by nature and the remaining survivors are killing each other for food, weapons and whatever they can get their hands on. Joel, a ruthless survivor, and Ellie, a brave teenage girl who is wise beyond her years, must work together to survive their journey across what remains of the United States.

Not just genre pushing, but GENRE DEFINING

I was doing some research on Cordyceps earlier today (I was bored) and I found out that the fungus is actually regularly used for medicinal purposes, specifically in ciclosporin—a drug helpful in human organ transplants, since it suppresses the immune system. It's also used a lot in Asia, specifically in Tibet and China, in folk remedies, usually in the form of the Cordyceps mushroom.

If I had to guess as to the driving force behind the spread of this new fungus in the game, I would assume it had to do with the medicinal version of the fungus mutating and starting to infect humans. Of course, this is a little ridiculous in scientific terms since apparently the fungus' ability to modify its host's behavior evolved around 48 million years ago, so I would assume that if it didn't evolve to affect humans in all this time there is no reason for it to start affecting humans now. But then again it's a fictional story, so whatever's clever.

What I find more interesting is that apparently the fungus thrives in humid temperate and tropical forests, and the trailer definitely shows a city with an overgrowing flora. This leads me to believe that there might be areas of the United States in the game which are fungus-free, and Joel and Ellie's entire goal is to reach one of these cities. Maybe somewhere in the north, like Boston? Or maybe south to a desert region, like Texas? I dunno, just throwing out some ideas there.

At the very least I hope the origin and inner workings of this fungus are explored in the story.

Considering this is ND, I highly doubt that. But it would be awesome if they did... :(

Derrick01

Banned

I don't think I could ever take ND seriously again if they full on abandoned what they're doing with Uncharted and hopefully this game and started making simple platformers again. I wouldn't mind a 1 game project like a Jak 4, but to full on stop with the other stuff? No way.

Replicant

Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Legend of Zelda, Bayonetta, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Vanquish, Dead Space, Metal Gear Solid, etc. All have linear plot and non-open world. And yet no one complained about them. But now people are acting like this is some kind of an unacceptable thing.

In a gen filled with stupid ideas, and game designs up the wazoo that try to "make vidoegames more than just videogames" then you have an article come out for a game that states they want to "redefine videogames and call it something different cause it's a EXPERIENCE" and you expect people not to freak out a bit? I'm tired of videogames wanting to become "interactive movies" and would rather them embrace the genre and do stuff within the gameplay without removing control from the player. ND isn't one of the worst offenders, but "experience" gives me no confidence. FEED ME CROW, ND.

Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Legend of Zelda, Bayonetta, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Vanquish, Dead Space, Metal Gear Solid, etc. All have linear plot and non-open world. And yet no one complained about them. But now people are acting like this is some kind of an unacceptable thing.
There are extreme double standards when it comes to what is expected from ND

Aaron

If the gameplay is great, no one will care how linear it is. The gameplay of the last Uncharted wasn't great. Not terrible, but definitely not great either. This doesn't preclude Last of Us from having great gameplay, but it makes people hesitant.

Also playable movies is the worst goal ever.

Emwitus

What Derrick said. If i want that i'll ask for jack and daxter. Gone are the days where i could just play a game for its gameplay. Uncharted and god of war are the only games that entice me to finish.

Ricky_R

tumblr_lhxogfS5iM1qayjuf.gif

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Ah, so people are concentrating on that one word. We don't even know anything about the game. Even if they make it like Uncharted, what's the problem?

ICO & SOTC are "experience". Are those shallow as well?

THIS was your counter example for great, deep gameplay!?

holy fuck lol.

Annnnnyway, a lot of my problems with UC3 is that its so focused on being "cinematic" that most of the time it forgets to be a fun video game. This constant push for video games to stop being video games and start being movies, more "cinematic", less choice, less player agency, etc is easily the worst trend of the current generation. Worst then on-disc DLC, online passes, or Angry Birds.

Emwitus

Ah, so people care concentrating on that one word. We don't even know anything about the game. Even if they make it like Uncharted, what's the problem?

A game should never ever be like uncharted 2... i gues.

@view
Annnnnyway, a lot of my problems with UC3 is that its so focused on being "cinematic" that most of the time it forgets to be a fun video game. This constant push for video games to stop being video games and start being movies, more "cinematic", less choice, less player agency, etc is easily the worst trend of the current generation. Worst then on-disc DLC, online passes, or Angry Birds.

That problem you speak of? Is why uncharted is popular.

Pimpbaa

Is anyone even talking about linearity in this thread?

If the gameplay is great, no one will care how linear it is. The gameplay of the last Uncharted wasn't great. Not terrible, but definitely not great either. This doesn't preclude Last of Us from having great gameplay, but it makes people hesitant.

Also playable movies is the worst goal ever.

Uh-huh

Uncharted 3's gameplay is fantastic.

In a gen filled with stupid ideas, and game designs up the wazoo that try to "make vidoegames more than just videogames" then you have an article come out for a game that states they want to "redefine videogames and call it something different cause it's a EXPERIENCE" and you expect people not to freak out a bit? I'm tired of videogames wanting to become "interactive movies" and would rather them embrace the genre and do stuff within the gameplay without removing control from the player. ND isn't one of the worst offenders, but "experience" gives me no confidence. FEED ME CROW, ND.

Did they not say the same thing about UC yeah they might have not used the word EXPERIENCE but i expect it to be same thing in a sort of way .
Gameplay mixed with a cinematic story .

mango drank

All of a sudden, I'm reminded of that article on Cracked about how gamers have an unrealistic sense of entitlement.

No idea why that would pop into my head all of a sudden.

Zzoram

I want to be able to do a lot of trivial but realistically necessary things in a survival video game.

They should implement scavenging for food and water, and having to take dumps. It doesn't have to be every few minutes, it can be something you only need to do 2 times throughout the entire game, but it would make it seem like these people are actually people with human physiological needs. Survival should be about more than shooting hordes of zombies.

AniHawk

"We're trying to move the medium of video games into an area elevated in the same manner of respect of film," Balestra says. "We want to redefine what our medium is even called. 'Video game' is not an accurate name anymore. It is not necessarily a game with rules and a winner and a loser. It's an experience."

no david cage what have you done

Replicant

Is anyone even talking about linearity in this thread?

Learn to read, including your own writing. You're all acting as if any of those games do not have cutscenes, and not in some extent, a movie-like experience, with its own 'deep' plot. I mean seriously? Should we go through your past posts to see what games you've played and why you didn't bitch about them?

Annnnnyway, a lot of my problems with UC3 is that its so focused on being "cinematic" that most of the time it forgets to be a fun video game.

Yes, yes. Because a fun video game entirely depends on your idea of what is fun and what is not. It doesn't matter that other people actually find UC3 to be fun and entertaining.

You didn't see all those Vanquish/Bayonetta interviews where the developers were shooting for a cinematic, genre-defining EXPERIENCE?

In an interview after his presentation, Kamiya told IGN the flow of Bayonetta is meant to be cinematic, with a focus on climactic action.

"In any sort of cinematic presentation, one of the most important parts of the entire event is the climax, and that's a very key concept in Bayonetta itself," Kamiya said through a translator.

To put it straight out "EXPERIENCE" is a horeshit buzzword. Its clearly ND being salesmen and selling themselves on vague descriptions. I can already see what they're trying to do here.

Keep the Uncharted formula for itself.

Scooter

Banned
There are extreme double standards when it comes to what is expected from PS3 exclusives

I kind of fixed it. I doubt there would be so much negativity if this game was multiplatform considering how amazing it looks and the great people behind it. There's nothing that has been shown this far that would attract that much negativity, everything is based on bullshit assumptions that most of the time make no sense.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

That paragraph is what got me super excited. It's also pretty true of gaming in general nowadays. Too many people think that games are still just getting points when most of them are interactive stories. Improving how those stories are presented is that they're working on here. I'm sure there will be plenty of gameplay in this.

GhaleonQ

'"Video game' is not an accurate name anymore. It is not necessarily a game with rules and a winner and a loser."

No, man. Rulesets are the building blocks of your medium. "We need a new name for this play. 'Theater' is not an accurate name anymore. It is not necessarily a story that takes place in a theater." It doesn't make sense.

And if the gameplay emulates the trailer, I'm sure "encounters with semi-human beings" constitutes lots of individual winners and losers (like every other video game).

KingK

What is it about every single Naughty Dog thread recently that inspires so much unwarranted hatred and negativity? It seems like gaming GAF in general has seen a real increase in hyperbolic negativity this year, but ND threads have gotten the some of the worst of it.

I don't think I could ever take ND seriously again if they full on abandoned what they're doing with Uncharted and hopefully this game and started making simple platformers again. I wouldn't mind a 1 game project like a Jak 4, but to full on stop with the other stuff? No way.

There's no reason why they can't have setpieces in Jak 4 even if they'd have to tone them down from Uncharted so that the player could have actually control of an interesting gameplay scenario.

Naughty Dog's writing is on the level of National Treasure or Transformers 1, nothing would be lost if they went back to a less story driven type of game.

Did they not say the same thing about UC yeah they might have not used the word EXPERIENCE but i expect it to be same thing in a sort of way .
Gameplay mixed with a cinematic story .

I personally thought U3 was getting a bit heavy on the "experience" side of things. There are more than a few "slow the player down right here so it's cinematic" moments that are "ok" on the first go, but really hurt replayability. I don't recall feeling that with U2. So that combined with "experience" is what irked me, personally. I'm not writing them off, but it's just another buzzword that I really don't like.

Replicant

Guess I didn't. I consider those games pure gameplay driven experiences.

"In an interview after his presentation, Kamiya told IGN the flow of Bayonetta is meant to be cinematic, with a focus on climactic action.

"In any sort of cinematic presentation, one of the most important parts of the entire event is the climax, and that's a very key concept in Bayonetta itself," Kamiya said through a translator.

Top Bottom