• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us: Late 2012/Early 2013, 3rd Person, [Update 2: More Info In OP]

The good thing is the U2 game director is behind this one. I found UC2 to be MUCH more successful from a gameplay point of view, combining fun characters and engaging narrative, but always keeping the pace through the whole 10-12 hour game.

UC3 was like, "Hey, everybody liked that village scene in UC2, lets do ten times as many slow walking sections in this one"

I'm not sure we played the same UC3. The only slow walking segments that come to mind last a couple of minutes at most, and there were much more actual shooting/platformer segments this time around.

Also we didn't have the same "grab my hand" animation 20 times like in UC2. Thank God.

AAK

Damn, a Sony 1st party title that is a 3rd person shooter isn't getting move support? They've really pulled the plug on that peripheral.

Wazzim

Banned
Why release it on the Playstation then ND? Just put it on a Blu-Ray player with a special remote.

Taking the 'game' out of games is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, it could have been such a good open world/exploring game but no.

darkwing

Why release it on the Playstation then ND? Just put it on a Blu-Ray player with a special remote.

Taking the 'game' out of games is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, it could have been such a good open world/exploring game but no.

tel us more about this game, you seemed to have played it

Loudninja

What in the hell?

Yuterald

Ugh, another 'experience' game? Why did I even expect anything more from this title? Oh well, sure the game will have that imaginary quality people love so much, but I guess we can forget about the game being interesting from a gameplay standpoint.

No, they're not. You can move your character around and press different buttons. That's like saying Arkham City's brawls are QTEs.
I've never played that game so I know nothing about it.

No they weren't. The game was hand-holding gamers by telling you when you push the triangle button but you could do it anyway without it. Using your logic block in fighting games is a QTE.
Using what logic? Fighting games actually require thought, memorization, and timing. The only thing to Uncharted 3's fist fights is me mashing triangle or O when the game says to by flashing it on the screen. That sounds like a QTE to me. Does God of War's combo finishers not count as QTEs? They were practically the same thing. Big whoop I could move around, but moving around would cancel the sequence, so when I actually go into the action of fist fighting is esstianly me watching in screen button prompts with little thought, esstently a QTE. I also don't get why this is a bad thing.

Replicant

All I see dominating the charts are Wii games, Mario games, sports games, and online multiplayer shooters. All gameplay. Not saying everything has to be the same, but calling their project "no longer a videogame, but an experience" is the type of stuff I, personally, don't want to hear. GAME in videogame reigns supreme.

Oh really? Never heard Resident Evil? Assassin's Creed? Hell even Heavy Rain was staying in the 10 ten Europe charts for 2-3 weeks back then.

Pimpbaa said:
You've played the last of us? Please tell us more. You are just grasping at straws and purposely taking things out of context to start a flame war for some reason. I don't have UC3 because someone is giving it to me for xmas. If it wasn't for that, I would have already had it because I like ND's games.

Oh, and you have? At least I don't make assumption about how good or how bad about LoU based on buzzword unlike you. And unlike you I've played UC3 2 times and know all of its strength and weakness so at least I know what I'm talking about.

Derrick01

Banned
Damn, a Sony 1st party title that is a 3rd person shooter isn't getting move support? They've really pulled the plug on that peripheral.

I think it's more that ND doesn't like it and that it takes power away that they want to use on making their games look like PS4 games.

Which is 100% the right call in that case.

Also we seem to be on borderline meltdown alert here with some people's posts. (not yours AAK :p)

NO, mang, what are you doing? Saying stuff like this only makes you "the guy who shot the hostage" to be endlessly quoted as the original point fades away in favor of extremes.

The amount of venom directed at Naughty Dog for the cinematic nature of their games is ridiculous. Naughty Dog should be praised for their work, because they are up there with Valve as probably the best example of blending gameplay with cinematic story telling. They try to embed as much of the story telling and cinema into the gameplay as possible.

Yet if you had Valve announcing a new horror IP that focuses on the experience and was more like Half Life / Portal than Left 4 Dead, people would go nuts with excitement.

So why does it have to be open world , i don't mind some exploring .
I don't think open world games are best when it comes to doing certain stories .

I knew this shit was going to happen. You know Naughty Dog has achieved success because a certain portion of GAF's posters are going to nitpick and scrutinize them every time a little bit of information is released about their new projects. They get the benefit of doubt, in my eyes. The Uncharted games have been sublime.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I think he's trying to say that he feels multiplayer didn't ruin the experience despite a lot of fear it would.

people were complaining after ND announced there was MP in UC2

Oh okay. Like I said, multiplayer components are fine for those wishing to enjoy it, but I am really a single-player kind of guy so I really hope the single-player components--if this game features one (and by God I hope it will)--iare competent/strong enough for single-player only gamers like myself.

If it's anything like Uncharted 1-2-3, then I it will be enough to make me happy.

Riddick

Using what logic? Fighting games actually require thought, memorization, and timing. The only thing to Uncharted 3's fist fights is me mashing triangle or O when the game says to by flashing it on the screen.

Did you even play the game or did you just see some youtube video? You can push the triangle button before the game tells you (apparently on crushing it doesn't even prompt the triangle button) as for the O button you can push it whenever you want. What you're describing is the few fights in the game where you had to fight those large guys.

Seems like a PR misfire to release a quote like that while giving nothing about the gameplay, at least in terms of the core base.

Be pretty happy when the only problems with the game are in regards to the PR.

Derrick01

Banned
no way this game looks this good and its open world.

Obviously not. Skyrim's ugly on consoles and they still can't figure out how to get their world running on 256mb of RAM. ND could do it if they wanted to probably but a lot of attention to detail would have to be sacrificed somewhere.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

How did you come at that conclusion, anyway? So just because they said it's going to be an experience, they are removing the 'game' out of games? Or are you saying that based on their previous work, Uncharted?

And why does it have to be an open world game? I don't know why people want to force ND to do something they don't want to. This will just result in a poor product. They wanted to put multiplayer in Uncharted 2, and look at how that turned out to be. It was great. So let them do what they want to do.

inky

WTF?! No, they're selling it as such because believe it or not, there are many people who like games as a merge of gameplay and storyline. Why do you think general public like my friends, who normally don't blink when I play other games, sat down and watched Heavy Rain and sometimes even wanted to control the character? Many people like narrative structures and many likes being a character in a narrative structure.

It may not be your cup of tea but not every game has to cater to your taste. There are different type of games and genres out there. You're not into narrative structure? There are fighting games, beat-them-up games, open world games, etc for you to enjoy.

Again, I'm not talking about that at all, read my post and what I quoted again, please? I really don't know your friends or care about them... are they the norm? Are they representative of the general public? Are they an exception? I'm not doing a market study here.
I enjoy these sort of games too, and I play them as well. Heck, that is the reason I am following this thread. I am not asking ND to make a game that caters to my tastes, nor I am criticizing it because -apparently- it fits yours so well. I am actually complaining about the surrounding discourse in that specific case I quoted and noted that it is an industry thing going on that, in my opinion, doesn't help elevate games to where they want them to, especially in the context that commentary was produced (the VGAs).

Riddick

Seems like a PR misfire to release a quote like that while giving nothing about the gameplay, at least in terms of the core base.

Be pretty happy when the only problems with the game are in regards to the PR.

Seems like certain people here would have found a reason to bitch anyway no matter what ND says. First it was the zombie games talking point now it's the experience talking point.

Yes, because that's exactly what I meant. From one extreme to the other. My concern is not about having a good story and characters. But games that rely purely on that and have no good gameplay to back it up.

You've played the last of us? Please tell us more. You are just grasping at straws and purposely taking things out of context to start a flame war for some reason. I don't have UC3 because someone is giving it to me for xmas. If it wasn't for that, I would have already had it because I like ND's games.

we should wait until we have detail on the gameplay before we condemn this game. the debut trailer is obviously made to sell the characters, their relationship and the setting. even the monday press event only talk about the story, character and scope and not showing the gameplay at all.

you may take that as sign as where the priorities are for this game, but that does not mean the gameplay will sucks, all ND games have been fun to play for me on top of having great story and characters.

they've been working on this game for 2 years, there's no way they don't have playable demo to be shown to the press. it must be a very deliberate decision from ND to not show gameplay at all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Oh okay. Like I said, multiplayer components are fine for those wishing to enjoy it, but I am really a single-player kind of guy so I really hope the single-player components--if this game features one (and by God I hope it will)--is competent/strong enough for single-player only gamers like myself.

If it's anything like Uncharted 1-2-3, then I it will be enough to make me happy.

It probably depends on their sales expectations and how much content they have in general.

The major lesson from this year so far is that your game needs to be like 20+ hours long and really high quality if it is singleplayer only, as otherwise the vast majority of America can just pick it up for $2 from Redbox and kill off a huge portion of your sales.

patsu

That would be Playstation Suite games ! ^_^

Open world exploration may lack the focus and punch to deliver a deep story and character development.

Where's the quote on "taking the game out of games" ? Want to read it in context.

Pimpbaa

Oh, and you have? At least I don't make assumption about how good or how bad about LoU based on buzzword unlike you. And unlike you I've played UC3 2 times and know all of its strength and weakness so at least I know what I'm talking about.

LOL, I haven't said a word about the quality of UC3 in this thread or any other. You really are desperate to keep an argument going (both with me and others it seems).

Did you even play the game or did you just see some youtube video? You can push the triangle button before the game tells you (apparently on crushing it doesn't even prompt the triangle button) as for the O button you can push it whenever you want. What you're describing is the few fights in the game where you had to fight those large guys.

A fist fight sequence in Uncharted 3 may be instigated by you, but that doesn't change the fact that you are basicly being in a QTE sequence. This isn't like say Devil May Cry where everything I'm doing is done by me with my own sense of timing and control. When I go into doing a fist fight the game pretty much guides and controls what I'm doing. So no they are really basically QTE events. Again I don't see the problem here, I'm not even saying these are bad.

Lucentto

Banned
Cinematic? Experience? I am getting tired of games attempting to be movies, which is one of the reasons why I did not like Uncharted 3. I am not sure I am looking forward to this game anymore.

Replicant

Obviously not. Skyrim's ugly on consoles and they still can't figure out how to get their world running on 256mb of RAM. ND could do it if they wanted to probably but a lot of attention to detail would have to be sacrificed somewhere.

The only open world game that has somewhat decent-looking cities is Assassin's Creed. Even then all of the Chappel and houses look almost similar to one another. Also, AssCreed and Arkham City are the only open-world game that are somewhat bearable to me because they have over-arching story arc that continues (or rather, the game pushes you to complete the story arc in one way or another). I don't like aimless open world games like GTA.

inky said:
I am actually complaining about the surrounding discourse in that specific case I quoted and noted that it is an industry thing going on that in my opinion doesn't help elevate games to where they want them to (especially in the context that commentary was produced, which was the VGAs).

There are several factors why gaming is starting being accepted by mainstream. One of these reasons is that gaming is starting to introduce something that mainstream likes. And that is narrative plot. That is what I'm talking about. People like going to movies, people like watching stories. So it's a natural conclusion, that they'd like being a character in a narrative, driven story.

LOL, I haven't said a word about the quality of UC3 in this thread or any other.

Then are you admitting that your entire argument about LoU based entirely on unfounded buzzword? Because if you haven't played UC3, then what are you complaints on ND based upon? UC2?

Open world would be terrible for a game like this, I just can't see how you can blend taking missions with horror.

It should be a full game like the village in RE4. Lots of options and approaches, but still largely linear. But more emphasis on stealth than RE4 had.

arne

thanks for dropping by the studio. we really enjoyed giving you an in-depth presentation of several gameplay sequences. we await your feedback in detail.

I'm all for speculation and debate and what not. nobody, NOBODY has seen gameplay.
don't jump to conclusions or else you won't be happy later on.

i mean, did someone forget we spent the last 6 years making 3 separate games that were called experiences too?

guess not.

i'm gonna go fire up dragon's lair and space ace now. laters.

Wazzim

Banned
How did you come at that conclusion, anyway? So just because they said it's going to be an experience, they are removing the 'game' out of games? Or are you saying that based on their previous work, Uncharted?

And why does it have to be an open world game? I don't know why people want to force ND to do something they don't want to. This will just result in a poor product. They wanted to put multiplayer in Uncharted 2, and look at how that turned out to be. It was great. So let them do what they want to do.

Just woke up, maybe it's that lol.
Let's just say I don't like the thing this PR report is saying, we'll see how the game turns out later.

inky

LOL, I haven't said a word about the quality of UC3 in this thread or any other. You really are desperate to keep an argument going (both with me and others it seems).

Yeah... it seems so. Although someone claiming to know all about a game's strengths and weaknesses after 2 playthroughs is rather amusing.

Derrick01

Banned
I hope this is like Heavy Rain meets Uncharted

I can agree to something like that. I liked the idea of HR more than the actual game, the story completely fell apart once the killer is revealed and using QTE's for every goddamn thing combined with the nonsensical walking scheme it had just ruined it for me.

But in the hands of a more competent developer, like ND, it can work.

Man, I thought review threads were filled with shit post.

I think I'm adding Naughty Dog reveal threads as a new category.

If its open world, hype minus 10,000 points. Especially in this genre, BARF.

Definitely. You can't control the pacing, and open world games are just filled with disconnected linear missions for progression anyways. Best horror games like RE, Silent Hill, Etc. used branching paths but they control what's going on in the world at all times.

SamuraiX-

smfh GAF

What an atrocity of a hive mind you are. Cannot wait for TLoU to feed you all your well-deserved crow.

Awesome new info.

The only thing I would say I am somewhat disappointed by is:

"There's going to be horrific things happening in this game, but that's not the focus of it. The monsters aren't the focus of it, it's the relationship between Joel and Ellie."

I may very well be alone on this, but the relationship between the characters is not nearly as important for me as focusing on the world as it is and how it came to be. The whole concept they have going is just so awesome to me that I wish they would focus all of the attention on the infection. Hopefully it'll be a good balance and ND doesn't just treat it as some average backdrop, because it's oh so much more than that.

Naughty Dog's writing is terrible, I wish they would focus on making their gameplay systems good instead of focusing on bullshit. I honestly hope this game seems really badly if it's some QTE driven thing or something so they quit going in a cinematic direction and hopefully start making platformers again.

I'm one of the people that hopes one day Sony buys back the Crash IP and gives it to ND to make it awesome again, as well as hope that ND makes Jak 4 before this generation is over. With that said, if them making those games would come at the expense of Uncharted 4 within one year of the PS4 launch or The Last Of Us releasing by Fall 2012, then fuck that noise. I hope they grow and have plenty of IPs they can work and alternate with so that 1. We don't get franchise fatigue and 2. We get plenty of great games from this top notch developer pretty much every 12-18 months.

There are extreme double standards when it comes to what is expected from ND

That can be both good and bad. ND is now a Top 5 developer whereas coming in they were not even Top 10, heck Insomniac was arguably above them coming into this generation. The expectations are now higher on them. It's up to them to deliver with these higher expectations like other Top notch developers like R*, Bungie, Valve, etc always do.

Meanwhile, Naughty Dog co-presidents Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra had been considering splitting the one-project-at-a-time studio into two teams. "We felt if we didn't expand the roles for people, we could potentially lose them, because they really wanted to be challenged," Wells says. "We didn't want to lose that talent."

So that's the real reason they expanded. Smart.

A fist fight sequence in Uncharted 3 may be instigated by you, but that doesn't change the fact that you are basicly being in a QTE sequence. This isn't like say Devil May Cry where everything I'm doing is done by me with my own sense of timing and control. When I go into doing a fist fight the game pretty much guides and controls what I'm doing. So no they are really basically QTE events. Again I don't see the problem here, I'm not even saying these are bad.
Not even remotely correct. Every action you take in a fight in UC3 is correlated by a direct action on screen. You have a punch button a counter button and a grab button. A QTE throws a random button at you to hit in a random sequence to perform indirect movements on screen. You can only succeed or fail and have to restart. Its not the same at all, have you even played it?

Top Bottom