• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us - Off screen footage from PAX East

He thinks you guys faked the enemy AI, says it was all smoke and mirrors. I am also skeptical at this point, the enemy AI you guys showed at E3 was one of the most interesting I have seen since beat FEAR back in the day. Why suddenly hide it and focus on the brain dead clickers?

Because they play a large roll in the game. Why are people so quick to jump to conclusion with no substantial evidence? I feel like many people in this topic want to hate this game.

Stark

Banned
He thinks you guys faked the enemy AI, says it was all smoke and mirrors. I am also skeptical at this point, the enemy AI you guys showed at E3 was one of the most interesting I have seen since beat FEAR back in the day. Why suddenly hide it and focus on the brain dead clickers?

Because the clickers are the focus? marketing?

i-Lo

fair enough, textures would benefit too. although given our past work, unless you're being extremely nitpicky, or a PC player ha, our IQ holds up except obv more jaggies.
the team here does some great LOD work.

Arne, would you happen to know why is downsampling an industry wide practice, especially on consoles where games are w/o options for different levels of AA (given everything is pushed to the limit)?

One thing I would add (personal anecdote) is that direct captures never look as good as the games do on my tele in motion (I don't know if it is because I have a plasma).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
We've got ton of direct screen already and bullshots too. I'm not basing my opinion directly on PAX footage.
What have really amazed You in this game? Character faces are great and pre-rendered cutscenes looks very good, but gameplay doesnt in any way.
What really amazes in this game, is how gameplay animation makes almost anything else look like an eyesore. Which is par for course for their games, but still nice every time I see it. Unless you're playing games like ME2/3 only through screenshots, I have no idea how you can even compare. Hell, even in screens, ME games look just unremarkable 90% of the time.

For me anyway, ever since Uncharted games came out, there probably hasn't been a 3rd person game where I didn't wish it would control and animate more like them. The sense of the character integration with the world is practically unparalleled.

Enemy AI wasn't faked. our demo wasnt propped up unlike some... others.

So we're revealing a new enemy type (that we've planned for a long type) why is that "hiding" anything. This part of the game that we took the slice out for the demo is all about infected encounters anyway. There's no attempt to obfuscate something.

ok...I am just saying one of the most impressive things about this game was the human AI. I haven't seen too much gameplay footage of the clickers, since I don't want to spoil anything. But the AI for those doesn't seem as impressive. I am glad you guys didn't fake anything.

i-Lo

this. there hasn't been ANY demo featuring the infected. this is our "Infected First Look".

I thought ND already had unveiled a first look (to media outlets) prior to PAX hands on demo (first public one I assume) which showed off the different types of infected.

Edit: I mean this (disturbing) video.

To naughty dog reading this thread, you guys did a fantastic job so far on the game and came this far. Don't fret over minor things people complain about and compromise your vision just when you're so tantalizingly close to being done.

SgtCobra

Well, I expect (intelligent) human beings having a smarter AI than some infected brain dead zombie, maybe it's just me.

I also welcome a "hardcore mode" which contains the stuff (deletes) some GAF members have been asking about.

Looks fantastic and it's sad that there are obviously a bunch of people who were waiting for there to be a chink in the armor of this game to jump in and shit all over.

XOMTOR

ND, if you are reading this (you are), please allow for opacity/ ability to remove completely HUD options. It effects immersion in a huge way.

Yes please. Just as a quick example, Crystal's 3 previous TR's show the HUD while guns are drawn or you're in combat but they fade out after a bit for a HUD-less view any other time.

Also, please allow button prompts (Triangle) to be disabled/optional for item pick-ups. I'd like to explore the environment without these popping up highlighting where items are.

Ridesh

Banned
The only way to feel empathy for the characters is to know their story and context..................Otherwise you've just been watching random clips.

Well, game seems to be really character focused, and the trailers, interviews and all have been very focused in Joel & Ellie. I just haven't felt anything for them so far (unlike BioShock Infinite for example).

ok...I am just saying one of the most impressive things about this game was the human AI. I haven't seen too much gameplay footage of the clickers, since I don't want to spoil anything. But the AI for those doesn't seem as impressive. I am glad you guys didn't fake anything.

How would the Infected act in anyway as intelligently as humans? Of course the AI won't seem as impressive, they're simply not as intelligent.

arne

Arne, would you happen to know why is downsampling an industry wide practice, especially on consoles where games are w/o options for different levels of AA (given everything is pushed to the limit)?

One thing I would add (personal anecdote) is that direct captures never look as good as the games do on my tele in motion (I don't know if it is because I have a plasma).

I can't speak for others and I'm making some big assumptions here, but I'm sure it has to do with the fact that a still can never capture some of the "dynamic" things we and others do to make the game look better that's less expensive on processing cycles. Things that, as you said, make the game look good in motion like LOD, motion blur, etc.

i-Lo

It's the same demo.

So this was the first look being publicly played for the first time. :p

Thanks for the participation by the way. Kindly look into the HUD opacity matter and if possible, keep us informed of ND's intention in that regard.

I can't speak for others and I'm making some big assumptions here, but I'm sure it has to do with the fact that a still can never capture some of the "dynamic" things we and others do to make the game look better that's less expensive on processing cycles. Things that, as you said, make the game look good in motion like LOD, motion blur, etc.

Thanks.

Pertaining to LoD, I really hope the jarring pop-ins between different object LoDs is mitigated next gen.

I have always wondered if tessellation can be used for that purpose (complete eradication of LoD pop ins)? I am not too worried about texture pop in since ND has always handled that deftly and given the large reserve of RAM next gen, it shouldn't be an issue.

arne

Yes please. Just as a quick example, Crystal's 3 previous TR's show the HUD while guns are drawn or you're in combat but they fade out after a bit for a HUD-less view any other time.

Also, please allow button prompts (Triangle) to be disabled/optional for item pick-ups. I'd like to explore the environment without these popping up highlighting where items are.

HUD isn't there until you switch weapons or draw your gun or melee or pick up a weapon. Then it fades in.

So this was the first look being publicly played the first time. :p

Thanks for the participation by the way. Kindly look into the HUD opacity matter and if possible, keep us informed of ND's intention in that regard.

Semantics! The demo is part of the first look. We're in development so making bespoke demos is a bit taxing. plus - we thought it'd be a great idea to being the demo that you've read about.

KKRT00

fair enough, textures would benefit too. although given our past work, unless you're being extremely nitpicky, or a PC player ha, our IQ holds up except obv more jaggies.
the team here does some great LOD work.

Yeah, in terms of IQ i dont have issues [for console game] with Your MLAA implementation, i think its great, definitely better than 2x MSAA from Uncharted 2, but lack of AF hurts Your art badly.
Of course in comparison to PC it doesnt look great and that was my point really. Its very good looking game for consoles, but imho nothing really outstanding like some people claim here. Its on pair with Your earlier games and on pair with many other games on consoles. Of couse every game need to have compromises in terms of tech/assets/iq, but we are already so deep in console cycle that games look very comparable in terms of tech and that was my point.

--
What really amazes in this game, is how gameplay animation makes almost anything else look like an eyesore. Which is par for course for their games, but still nice every time I see it. Unless you're playing games like ME2/3 only through screenshots, I have no idea how you can even compare. Hell, even in screens, ME games look just unremarkable 90% of the time.

For me anyway, ever since Uncharted games came out, there probably hasn't been a 3rd person game where I didn't wish it would control and animate more like them. The sense of the character integration with the world is practically unparalleled.

I meant visual fidelity. Of course animation in this game, like previous ND titles, is top notch, but thats not really GPU or in ps3 CELL vertex processing dependent [:)] and it could be implemented in every game without sacrificing assets or graphical tech.

@Arne, I thought in a couple interviews you guys said you couldn't use listen mode while moving, why did you change that? Also did you pull the camera back for Joel when he pulls his gun out and aims? It looks less intimate than what was shown at E3

Koralsky

So much poor criticism in this thread - it isn't even funny.

ND/Arne, read these kind if threads if you want, but don't listen us that much.

Most of us can't see the big picture you're trying to achieve with TLOS.

Cheers from Bulgaria.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
ND reading this thread?

Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into your games. Only games I make sure I pre-order.

Akainu

I've never wanted to ignore someone before but lately some people have been acting really ridiculous. Is there some sickness going about I haven't heard of?

i-Lo

HUD isn't there until you switch weapons or draw your gun or melee or pick up a weapon. Then it fades in.

Semantics! The demo is part of the first look. We're in development so making bespoke demos is a bit taxing. plus - we thought it'd be a great idea to being the demo that you've read about.

Ah, so it'll be akin to Uncharted (HUD). Still, if possible opacity option would be great (given the darker backdrops provide a greater contrast against the foreground HUD).

And despite the scepticism and some inane assumptions, I think it was the right move to allow people to get a chance to experience it. As Pojo King asserted, around 10% of participants who played the demo finished it. It is a good way to inform people that it is not Uncharted and can not played as such with haste (not without facing proportional consequence).

wow this looks like a rip-off the new tomb raider game

Tomb Raider Ascension XD

You've got to be fucking kidding me, seriously?

Lmao, I don't see anything in the LOU that ripoff the new TR, trolling as reach a new low.

He is just screwing around.

Cidd

wow this looks like a rip-off the new tomb raider game

You've got to be fucking kidding me, seriously?

Lmao, I don't see anything in the LOU that "rip-off" the new TR, trolling has reach a new low.

Everyone at Naughty Dog the game looks awesome and I can't wait to pick it up day one, thanks for all your hard work.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
image retention?

The studio is reading this thread, so they can discuss your thoughts about a hardcore mode and HUD opacity. Do note, we did hire a dedicated UI/UX several months ago and work on that is still constantly happening and evolving.
He speaks about image burn-in which is something you need to worry about on Plasma TVs, and even sometimes on LCDs. I'd say make sure to fade out the HUD completely when there's no action going around and everything should be good. Kind of like what you have in Uncharted, I think. *edit* OK I see you already answered this.

Your UX designer is probably coming from the place where usability takes precedence over any kind of experience, but IMO, games are much more about experience than something like website. You don't really need to know what your health is while you're just walking around, and your health doesn't really need to be toxic bright green so that you can't miss it on the screen. Especially not in single player potion of the game, I'd say.

Then there's also the legitimacy of the look of the UI. What I mean is, despite how functional and clear UI is, you don't want something that's using sci-fi fonts and gauges in a medieval themed game, because it takes you out of experience too much. Your UI looks highly neutral/clinical, I'd say, it's the kind of look that exists on it's own and is not partial to any particular style of the game. It would work in a sci fi game, but also in a game like this. I know some people wanted to see a more dilapidated UI to match the dilapidated look of the game, but in my opinion, your game does take place in the future, so no matter how ruined it is, it makes sense to have a UI like this, which would probably be something familiar to people who live in that world from whatever remaining technology they have (or memories of it). If this is the reasoning behind the neutral/clinical look, I think it's fine, even though it probably wouldn't be my first instinct to go with it.

If there's any takeway advice from all of this, it would be to not use toxic green health bar (it's really kind of distracting) and to make the HUD fade when not needed.

Listen mode is mapped to a button. Don't use it if you hate it, but it's not a massive advantage. You can't see things from across the map, only if they are making some sound, slows you down, etc. It will be a give and take. But if you hate it, and you want to be all hardcore, don't hit the button. You do have some self control right? :p
This is fine, but then you have to make sure that the game is possible to play (without cheap deaths) for people who decide to not use it. If the game is "normal" difficulty when using it, but "hard" when not using it, that's fine. If you have to die to see that a group of enemies is in some room, then it's not good. You can peek behind the corners here just by rotating the camera, right? I see people suggesting to add a peek behind action, but if I remember correctly, a camera rotation would be enough.

gadwn

Of course in comparison to PC it doesnt look great and that was my point really. Its very good looking game for consoles, but imho nothing really outstanding like some people claim here. Its on pair with Your earlier games and on pair with many other games on consoles.

Does not compute.

Not commenting on the footage, I refuse to see any gameplay videos (after the E3-one that is) before the game is out.

SaitoH

I finished the demo (got my foam brick:) ) and thought it was pretty fantastic. I'm kinda surprised at the reaction I'm this thread, but at the same time I'm not.

When the demo is released at least people will better understand the game. For better or worse.

AJ_Wings

Arne, how many speed modes does Joel have in the crouch position? Can Joel be detected if he was moving too fast while crouching or can he only be detected by running in plain sight of the AI? Basically, how sensitive the human AI is to sound?

Also, to ND folks reading this thread. I'm really appreciating what you guys are doing with this game.

arne

@Arne, I thought in a couple interviews you guys said you couldn't use listen mode while moving, why did you change that? Also did you pull the camera back for Joel when he pulls his gun out and aims? It looks less intimate than what was shown at E3

I'm not sure if that's a direct quote? I'm pretty certain I said it affects your movement speed and what you are able to do, but I don't recall saying it roots you in one spot. if I did, I misspoke because that was never the case.

Arne your a class act for taking the time to respond to some of this stuff. All the usual suspects making outrageous claims and excitedly jumping to conclussions

i-Lo

Arne your a class act for taking the time to respond to some of this stuff. All the usual suspects making outrageous claims and excitedly jumping to conclussions

Indeed but he has the freedom to choose which questions or comments to respond to.

The AI is about as impressive as you could hope for with this type of enemy. They're an obvious change of pace from human AI that will try to protect themselves from gunfire. Runners will attack you in packs while the Clicker is a moving death machine. And we still don't know what the third form infected is.

While some have complained about them not going with 100% human enemies, I think it'll be quite interesting if they do scenarios where there are human enemies and infected in the same area. I can't really think of any "zombie" (I know ND doesn't like for them to be referred to as that) games that present you with that type of situation. Mostly because you usually end up with games that are filled with entirely human based enemies or zombies.

Erasus

Just want to chime in and say thanks to arne for comming in and answering.

Game seems very good, tense, atmospheric, looked a bit washed out but that might be off screen + high brightness due to the room.

Hardcore/No HUD might be cool, and HUD opacity options.

A few questions, ofc I understand these might not be final:

• Does it upscale to 1080p?
  • In the Uncharted games, you could scelect between Dolby and DTS, this still the case?
  • Will there be an optional install, I actually like that as it speeds loading.

On another note, do you ever think we will see AF/AA/Shadow/VSync options in console games? I think Bioshock 2 had optional VSync but I dont know anyone else that tried. It can easily be hidden away for people who dont want it.

This is why I love the GAF. people from the actual games come in and clear up a lot of shit instead of letting some things spiral out of control

ypo

The wall hack just looks lame and cheap and breaks immersion. You have a game that's pretty realistic and you have the lame looking wall hack that doesn't even make sense. Its a *listening* mode yet you can *see* thru wall? Honestly you guys should go with directional sound or vibration. Saying just don't press the button is just as lame as defending a rewind button. I see no reason why you can't use directional sound or vibration sure it'llmake the game a little more difficult but that's good thing in my opinion. Really hope you'll consider this.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
The AI is about as impressive as you could hope for with this type of enemy. They're an obvious change of pace from human AI that will try to protect themselves from gunfire. Runners will attack you in packs while the Clicker is a moving death machine. And we still don't know what the third form infected is.

While some have complained about them not going with 100% human enemies, I think it'll be quite interesting if they do scenarios where there are human enemies and infected in the same area. I can't really think of any "zombie" (I know ND doesn't like for them to be referred to as that) games that present you with that type of situation. Mostly because you usually end up with games that are filled with entirely human based enemies or zombies.

I am assuming Arne is not allowed to answer a question like this, but I would love to get the chance to play a human enemy stage in the demo to learn more about the AI. What's the chances of this actually happening?

kylej

Banned
I didn't realize this game was going to be a zombie game. I thought it would be a fight against the true nature of man - when all the constructs of justice and society are stripped away. Turns out there's mutants. Oh well.

sunnz

Thanks for answering some question, like I said, the game just looks to fill the void of a proper horror survival game and I hope it pays off, you can see a lot of work has been done.

Problem is people expect TLOU to be a game it is not, which is their fault.

Nice to hear the x ray is optional.

It plays very different to your typical zombie game too.

I didn't realize this game was going to be a zombie game. I thought it would be a fight against the true nature of man - when all the constructs of justice and society are stripped away. Turns out there's mutants. Oh well.

Is this stuff for real? Nice drive-by. I'm bouncing before I lose it

Top Bottom