• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Part 2 has sold over 10 million units earlier this year according to Neil Druckmann | Factions 2 is now a standalone multiplayer game

Solarstrike

Gold Member
So, The Division but with infected and all the other walking and growling horrors TLOU brings. Sounds great. Ubisoft should have went that way After Division 1, whereas when the season changed and things began to thaw and melt the dynamic of the game changed. The rot of garbage changing the air, the virus mutating faster. Festering abominations, waring factions. A city of decay, nervous vendors lumbering in dark alleys, buildings collapsing now and then. Survivors in camps, trains, rooftops and basements. Campfires up high among the broken high-rises. Anyhow, Factions 2 won't have the detail of The Division's world but it'll be immersive and fun as well.

Remember it's over 10 mil as that was earlier in the year.

Also this game was profitable day one so people don't need to be concerned for Naughty Dog.

The leaks and hyperbole didn't do this game any favours. Especially as so many where lies or taken completely out of context to start hysteria

gow3isben

Knowing this sold 4.5 million first week do people celebrating really think there was any way in hell it would sell less than 5.5 mill in almost 2 years? This is for sure less than the bare minimum expectation I had. What did you think it would sell 3-4 million total since first week?

God of War and Spider-Man were close to 20 mill by end of year 2 Spider-Man likely beyond that actually.

SAD!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Going by my Wiki info above, LoU 1 probably did hit 10M after two years. It was already at 8M after 14 months and that wouldnt include upcoming Xmas sales from 2014.
TLOU sold 20 million in 6 years. I think we should come back after 4 years to do a fair comparison.

I think ND missed a trick by not remastering TLOU2 and re-releasing the game as a next gen SKU using ray tracing and other next gen only features. There were several downgrades since the E3 2018 demo and they shouldve done a release by putting back all those fancy GI light bounces and NPC character models. But I think the backlash scared them.

It's also unfair to compare the two games because TLOU2 was pretty much leaked 2 months before launch and it essentially poisoned the well before the game even came out. I know youtubers who are fairly normal but they had the game spoiled for them and refused to play it because of the early death of that one character. Would MGS2 have sold as well if people had known Snake wasnt even playable? Doubt it.

I think it's entire possible that both TLOU2 and HFW dont end up outselling their predecessors but it could be due to several factors including the fact that people who tried the first game likely didnt enjoy it enough to buy the second game.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Why do you always post inane things? The standalone multiplayer was announced in 2019

You don't think they had an idea of how the market would respond that late in development? TLoU2 turned Naughty Dog into a multiplayer focused studio. Not that I'm complaining. That concept art looks insane.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They're rumored to release Last of Us Part II remastered.

They're going to release The Last of Us Part II on PC.

The "not meeting sales expectations" isn't going to cut it lol

FU1hhdEXoAEmI79

Tripolygon

Banned
You don't think they had an idea of how the market would respond that late in development? TLoU2 turned Naughty Dog into a multiplayer focused studio. Not that I'm complaining. That concept art looks insane.
They planned on making a standalone multiplayer game because the single player was massive already and of course everyone wants their own Fortnite and Apex service game. Faction lends itself well to a service multiplayer game. The market responded well to the single player game with GOTY awards, and 10 million copies sold since spring. They have multiple projects going, Factions, TLOU remake and another game in the early stages.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Lol last of us 2 wasn’t the most anticipated game sure guys it’s a niche title 10 mill is shockingly good for it especially since almost half were in the first week

You've got some weird takes dude. If the game truly were the "worlds most anticipated game of all time" then yeah, it would have sold more. But it wasn't. That doesn't make the game "niche" either.

So take God of War in comparison as you did earlier. That game released in April 2018. Three and a half years later it hit 19.5 million. That's around 5.5 million per year. The Last of Us Part 2 hit 10 million in the early spring of this year. So let's call it 1.9 years. That is around 5.2 million per year. Are you really going to suggest that is a massive difference?

Knowing this sold 4.5 million first week do people celebrating really think there was any way in hell it would sell less than 5.5 mill in almost 2 years? This is for sure less than the bare minimum expectation I had. What did you think it would sell 3-4 million total since first week?

God of War and Spider-Man were close to 20 mill by end of year 2 Spider-Man likely beyond that actually.

SAD!

God of War was not close to 20 million by end of year two. 19.5 million in 3.5 years.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

SAD!

The coping is real. lol

God of War sold 19.5 million copies in 3.4 years. The Last of Us Part II didn't benefit from bundles. Last of Us would've surpassed a lot more copies if it received the game treatment.

71-714296_ps4-bundle-god-of-war-4-hd-png.png
Console-Sony-PlayStation-4-1TB-Slim-Bundle-God-Of-War-2.jpg
HITS-5_bundle-sleeve_SEA_3D-e1542122222627.png
ps4-bundle-2019-god-of-war-the-last-of-us-remastered-bundle-1400px-ps4-pro-sg-my-th-id-ph-vn-01.png

10 million is nuts. Cant believe people were trying to downplay the sales of this game after it sold 4 million in three days.

I cant believe they still arent ready to show off Factions. It's pretty shocking really. Revealing games with concept art is something else.
What the first one sell?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
TLOU sold 20 million in 6 years. I think we should come back after 4 years to do a fair comparison.

I think ND missed a trick by not remastering TLOU2 and re-releasing the game as a next gen SKU using ray tracing and other next gen only features. There were several downgrades since the E3 2018 demo and they shouldve done a release by putting back all those fancy GI light bounces and NPC character models. But I think the backlash scared them.

It's also unfair to compare the two games because TLOU2 was pretty much leaked 2 months before launch and it essentially poisoned the well before the game even came out. I know youtubers who are fairly normal but they had the game spoiled for them and refused to play it because of the early death of that one character. Would MGS2 have sold as well if people had known Snake wasnt even playable? Doubt it.

I think it's entire possible that both TLOU2 and HFW dont end up outselling their predecessors but it could be due to several factors including the fact that people who tried the first game likely didnt enjoy it enough to buy the second game.
They probably will.

But first things first, a LOU 1 remake which parleys with a PC port for the tons of PC gamers who never played it. LoU 2 remake will probably come in a few years for PS and PC.

NickFire

10 million sounds pretty good for a single player game to me. And its going to sell a lot more when they release the PS5 version. I bet there's a lot of people who stopped buying new games shortly before the new gen ended because they'd rather wait for the inevitable next gen version.

Só first ghost of Tsushima sold better than Tlou2.

Now that theory is proved wrong we're at the stage of saying this is bad because reasons lmao.

Clearly Sony is happy otherwise we wouldn't have a TV show, a remake and a remaster of the 2nd game on the way. Their most prestigious studio is working on this IP almost entirely now... clearly they are happy with this

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They planned on making a standalone multiplayer game because the single player was massive already and of course everyone wants their own Fortnite and Apex service game. Faction lends itself well to a service multiplayer game. The market responded well to the single player game with GOTY awards, and 10 million copies sold since spring. They have multiple projects going, Factions, TLOU remake and another game in the early stages.

They planned on multiplayer because TLoU2 couldn't sell 30+ million copies. Naughty Dog knows that type of game can never breakout so they're pursuing something that can. GotY awards are a marketing gimmick. Naughty Dog wants revenue.

gow3isben

The coping is real. lol

God of War sold 19.5 million copies in 3.4 years. The Last of Us Part II didn't benefit from bundles. Last of Us would've surpassed a lot more copies if it received the game treatment.

Dude the vast majority of game sales obviously occur in the first 2 years lol. What you think it sold 10 million in year 3-3.4? Probably like 2-3 mill at most. It was probably sitting at 17 million after 2 years

10 million is nuts. Cant believe people were trying to downplay the sales of this game after it sold 4 million in three days.

I cant believe they still arent ready to show off Factions. It's pretty shocking really. Revealing games with concept art is something else.

September.

Well, 2023 it is...😢

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

Go woke, make tons of cash.

Go woke... see such success that you ramp up your studio to work on multiple games at once, including expanding what was once merely a multiplayer feature into its own ambitious standalone project. They really got taught a lesson by the marketplace with this one, didn't they... that ole invisible hand sure is fickle!

Nothing else new here; more great news for people who like to see great devs stay firmly in business & making games.
Keep up the great work ND. (y)

Fake

Só first ghost of Tsushima sold better than Tlou2.

Now that theory is proved wrong we're at the stage of saying this is bad because reasons lmao.

Clearly Sony is happy otherwise we wouldn't have a TV show, a remake and a remaster of the 2nd game on the way. Their most prestigious studio is working on this IP almost entirely now... clearly they are happy with this

lmao

No theory was proved wrong dude. You guys are so blinded thinking over numbers that don't think about whatever the company surpass their cost production or not.

GoT can sold less than TLOUS2, but their cost production was very low in comparison.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
lmao

No theory was proved wrong dude. You guys are so fanboys thinking over numbers that don't think about whatever the company surpass their cost production or not.

GoT can sold less than TLOUS2, but their cost production was very low in comparison.

What does costs have to do with the theories people had on the number of units sold? That's definitive moving goalposts, dude.

Lognor

Banned
Next year?! Holy shit. It's going to be three years after the release of tlou2, isn't it? Wtf

Maybe they should have focused on factions instead of tlou remake

Pelta88

Sold half as much as the first game.
Cost twice as much to develop.

No one thought TLoU2 wasn't going to make a profit. It literally drove Naughty Dog into multiplayer.

ray-liotta-laughing.gif

TLOU: 1.3 Million in 7 days. 17 million in 5 years (by 2018)

TLOU2: 4 million in 4 days. 10 million in 2 years (Fastest Selling PS exclusive ever btw)

But you go ahead and live in your own realm where both games aren't blockbusters... Just because you don't think they are.

Last edited:

Fake

What does costs have to do with the theories people had on the number of units sold? That's definitive moving goalposts, dude.

Go in both ways my friend. Was a movegoal discussion until we got the 10m numbers from today. Before today reveal, people are just running in circle around the 2m.

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
Good sales for one of the greatest games ever. Well deserved.

A bit sad about the wasted resources on a multiplayer-only game.

Topher

Gold Member
Go in both ways my friend. Was a movegoal discussion until we got the 10m numbers. Before, people are just running in circle aroung the 2m.

I don't recall any discussions comparing costs of GoT and TLOU 2. I do remember debating with others that TLOU 2 had probably surpassed GoT in sales. Don't you think that has been proven to be true? GoT hit 8 million in January, three or so months before TLOU 2 hit 10 million.

The Shepard

The TLOU part 3 sales figures will be interesting to see if it sells less than part 2. If so that means most people probably didn't like the story choices in part 2. These sales figures are meaningless on both sides of the argument thats going on in this thread as most people who loved part 1 will most likely buy part 2 and make there own mind up on whether there going to bother turning up for part 3.

I thought the first half of the game was good, second half had its moments but went on to long and have never replayed it because of the second half. Didn't like that character either.

Tripolygon

Banned
They planned on multiplayer because TLoU2 couldn't sell 30+ million copies. Naughty Dog knows that type of game can never breakout so they're pursuing something that can. GotY awards are a marketing gimmick. Naughty Dog wants revenue.
Only 2 Nintendo IPs last generation has broken the 30+ million mark. The first game was at 17 million as of 2018 but you imagine they had lofty 30+ million sales target? This is runner up for the second dumbest thing I've read today, and I've read some dumb things today like the surgical room being less "dirty" and Joel having a grimace on his face means they are making the fireflies more sympathetic in the remake. Every business wants revenue, it's not a charity, and breakout standalone multiplayer live service games are a constant revenue stream. Every major publisher has a live service game that rakes in yearly revenue which is something Sony wants too. GOTY awards sells games that is why they are used for marketing so no shit?

Fake

I don't recall any discussions comparing costs of GoT and TLOU 2.

Just use the search button. I recall people making comparison over comparison whenever they want.

"TLOUS sold more than X". Dude, this was all over the place in some discussions.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yikes. Thats it? 120 million consoles sold and that’s all the flagship title gets? What’s BOTW at or Sword and Shield?

People buy Nintendo hardware specifically for Nintendo games. Most people don't buy Sony hardware specifically for Sony games, thats just one subset of customers (maybe 20%-25% if I had to guess). Another subset buys it for sports n' shooters. Another subset buys it for weebshit. Another subset buys it for their kids to play minecraft and fortnite on. An 8% attach rate on playstation is pretty good lol obviously it doesn't approach nintendo. Animal Crossing was bought by a third of Switch owners, you'll never see that on Playstation outside of maybe Grand Theft Auto.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Dude the vast majority of game sales obviously occur in the first 2 years lol. What you think it sold 10 million in year 3-3.4? Probably like 2-3 mill at most. It was probably sitting at 17 million after 2 years
You're just making stuff up.

Sony Official Numbers:

God of War
3.1 million in 3 days
5.0 million in 31 days
10 million in 13 months (?)
19.5 million in 1,220 days.

The game sold 1.9 million copies in 31 days. It then sold 5 million copies in a year. There's no way your estimates are correct. lol

Topher

Gold Member
Just use the search button. I recall people making comparison over comparison whenever they want.

"TLOUS sold more than X". Dude, this was all over the place in some discussions.

Nah...that's fine. I'll believe you. And I will acknowledge Sony probably made a lot more money on GoT than they did on TLOU 2. I don't see why stating the fact that TLOU 2 sold more units is a problem though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yikes. Thats it? 120 million consoles sold and that’s all the flagship title gets? What’s BOTW at or Sword and Shield?
Nintendo comparisons are always bizarre. Most console games even COD top out at 20 million. If Horizon 1 and TLOU 1 sold 20 million thats pretty impressive. If this thing sells 15 million lifetime, thats pretty impressive compared to other multiplatform titles like AC, CoD and Battlefield. The only Battlefield that topped 20 million was BF1. Thats 120 PS4 users. 50 Xbox One owners and 150 steam users. 20 million out of what 300 million users?

Nintendo exclusives sell well because they are not competing with CoD, Battlefield, Far Cry, Ass Creed, Cyberpunk, Elden Rings, Final Fantasy, and 99% of third party games that never get ported to Switch. If you want a quality switch title, Nintendo exclusives are your safest and only bet. Of course, they will sell more.

Attach rates for exclusives have never been this high. Go look at early RE sales. Capcom still keeps track of those game sales. 5 million tops. On a console that sold 100 million. MGS2. 5 million. On a console that sold 150 million. One of the most hyped and best selling exclusives at the time. Gears of War 2 sold 2.1 million in the first month. Topped out at 5 million.

Nintendo is just different for many many reasons.

Nintendo comparisons are always bizarre. Most console games even COD top out at 20 million. If Horizon 1 and TLOU 1 sold 20 million thats pretty impressive. If this thing sells 15 million lifetime, thats pretty impressive compared to other multiplatform titles like AC, CoD and Battlefield. The only Battlefield that topped 20 million was BF1. Thats 120 PS4 users. 50 Xbox One owners and 150 steam users. 20 million out of what 300 million users?

Nintendo exclusives sell well because they are not competing with CoD, Battlefield, Far Cry, Ass Creed, Cyberpunk, Elden Rings, Final Fantasy, and 99% of third party games that never get ported to Switch. If you want a quality switch title, Nintendo exclusives are your safest and only bet. Of course, they will sell more.

Attach rates for exclusives have never been this high. Go look at early RE sales. Capcom still keeps track of those game sales. 5 million tops. On a console that sold 100 million. MGS2. 5 million. On a console that sold 150 million. One of the most hyped and best selling exclusives at the time. Gears of War 2 sold 2.1 million in the first month. Topped out at 5 million.

Nintendo is just different for many many reasons.

Especially since people rarely buy big 3rd party games on nintendo. If i get a nintendo give me mario and the spinoff games, zelda, animal crossing etc.

Everything else I’ll play elsewhere with better graphics, performance and a functional online mode

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ghost of Tsushima announced that it sold 8 million copies in January

The Last of Us Part II sold 10 million earlier this year.

I made this estimate last year.

First 3 Days
Last of Us Part II - 4.1 million
Ghost of Tsushima - 2.4 million

November Player Count
Last of Us Part II - 7.2 million
Ghost of Tsushima - 5.8 million

In November, it was announced that Ghost of Tsushima sold over 5 million copies, which is in the range of the Play Count number.

In March, Ghost of Tsushima sold 6.5 million copies.

If Last of Us Part II was ahead by at least 1.7 million during the first 3 days, then that would probably mean that Last of Us Part II was at 8.2 million copies back in March.

I would think Last of Us Part II was more than 1.7 ahead of Ghost of Tsushima in March based on the overall performance of both titles.

The game received a sales boost last when they released Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut, which closed the gap just a little.

I could see The Last of Us Part II director's Cut or Remaster performing much better than Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut.

I mean, 10 million itself is an excellent number(it IS a big number) but it certainly feels like, considering Sony's expectations and how the price of the game PLUMMETED only 6 months after the game's release, that it certainly failed to meet expectations.

Hopefully Sony sees this and takes a hard look at what they did wrong with TLOU 2. Because I would bet at least half of those 10 million units were sold at launch, when nobody knew how trash the game was.
Oh boy…smh. TLOU II is quite frankly, the best game I’ve ever played…EVER. Nothing else exist like it.

Lognor

Banned
I mean, 10 million itself is an excellent number(it IS a big number) but it certainly feels like, considering Sony's expectations and how the price of the game PLUMMETED only 6 months after the game's release, that it certainly failed to meet expectations.

Hopefully Sony sees this and takes a hard look at what they did wrong with TLOU 2. Because I would bet at least half of those 10 million units were sold at launch, when nobody knew how trash the game was.
Why is the game trash? Is it because they killed off Joel? Or the story in general? Or the gameplay?

killatopak

So many copies sold and they didn't think to make a dlc like the original.

Kinda sad. I always wanted a Joel dlc for tlou2. Ellie dlc for tlou1 was nice since you didn't get to play as much using her. I was hoping tlou2 would do the same for Joel.

Top Bottom