• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Remnant - New Square Enix RPG revealed in GI

Yoboman

Oblivion said:
Yoboman
smarter than you
(Today, 03:04 PM)
Reply | Quote

So much for that, eh? :p
He fixed the thread title because I said to. In any case it just said "New Square Enix RPG revealed in GI" before

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
keeblerdrow said:
I call bullshit on this bulletpoint.

Not if this game was made with the American audience in mind. That would also explain why there is a 360 version and why you play as both a Japanese and American character.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's not that surprising that it's in GI. The fact they want it out in America and Japan at the same time perhaps hints at a Western focus or perhaps even development by a Square Team in the West-- do they exist? I can't think SE opened one after Secret of Evermore.:lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Yoboman said:
He fixed the thread title because I said to. In any case it just said "New Square Enix RPG revealed in GI" before

Oh, didn't know that. Nevermind then. :)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
DKnight said:
And bald marines.
790_0015.jpg

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Sounds completely awesome. I love the dual character approach for both audiences. I also love how Square is fully embracing western design philosophy in terms of tech and dev schedules.

duckroll

Ceb said:
So why don't they have a character that (supposedly) will appeal to European gamers?

Because like all S-E games it'll come out in Europe in 2010 when it no longer matters. :lol

Jenga

Banned
Sounds like a typical Square RPG. However, if they can pull off that dual approach in the style of the Treasure of the Rudras, I'll be excited.

USD

Ceb said:
So why don't they have a character that (supposedly) will appeal to European gamers?
Doesn't Western gamers imply the US and Europe? But then again it doesn't sound like it's getting released at the same time in Europe, so I guess not. :lol

StevieP

Banned
GAF said:

It's like I've timewarped a year backwards.

Blimblim said:

Better bald space marines than dithering! :lol

And have we found out which of Square's D-teams is making this game? Or has it not started yet, because they're waiting for their other teams to finish their current 2009-dated titles?

LJ11

StevieP said:

And have we found out which of Square's D-teams is making this game? Or has it not started yet, because they're waiting for their other teams to finish their current 2009-dated titles?

Why all the bitterness?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Battle System will not be passive and will include QTEs in certain instances. Fights still take place in a turn based frame work.
So...Paper Mario?

Hiroshi Takai
Woohoo! It's like the Bouncer all over again!

Y2Kev

LJ11 said:
Why all the bitterness?

:lol :lol

keep going steviep. tell me about how Square's cleaning ladies are programming the game next. and also how its being designed by kawazu's dog and matsuno's used toilet tissues.

ethelred

Directed by Hiroshi Takai? Uh oh...

Previous credits:

The Bouncer: Game Planner
Legend of Mana: Battle Design Chief

StevieP

Banned
LJ11 said:
Why all the bitterness?

Square has left me jaded the past 5-6 years of their existance. Perhaps it's because of the constant barrage of Final Fantasy titles? Either way, their better teams are all tied up doing *gasp* Final Fantasy games, so despite the fact that this is a new IP, I don't exactly have high hopes.

keep going steviep. tell me about how Square's cleaning ladies are programming the game next. and also how its being designed by kawazu's dog and matsuno's used toilet tissues.

I don't need to - ethereld already did :lol

Nolan.

I hope that one of the companies to continue pushing the bar in Japan will be Square so i'll be looking at this.

could you give a description of the visual style the game employs for us poor europeans who dont have a chance to purchase this magazine?

peace

Y2Kev

ethelred said:

Previous credits:

Oh jesus lawd

He also did a bunch of collections like Anthology and is somewhere credited for FFV.

Rufus

Ceb said:
I guess we're expected to be content with the American one.

A European character would need multiple personalities anyway. :lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Y2Kevbug11 said:
:lol :lol

Oh **** that sounds good. Maybe it'll feature Gackt in a dog costume.

Dali

StevieP said:

Even if it is the benchwarmers making it, the game could still be good. They are using UE3, so that means most of the game development can go toward assett creation and gameplay, etc.

Yixian

Banned
grandjedi6 said:
Once again people: Next Gen Multiplatform = PS3/360

Well... *sigh*... I guess if anyone can pull of multiplatform games, it's Square. Still, we all know that this game would be even betetr than it's destined to be if it were PS3 or 360 exclusive.

Rufus said:
I guess we're expected to be content with the American one.

A European character would have need multiple personalities anyway. :lol

Hehe, well, tbh, japanese charecters in RPGs are more or less... European :D I mean, since the original Final Fantasy, Square and other big devs have openly said they design games in pseudo-European historical settings because they like that time period.

Although, personality/trait wise, obv not. But then, I don't think Cloud and Vivi represent typical Japanese people any more than they do Europeans ones.

But obv mainstream Americans need a ridiculous 2D cliché of a charecter before they are interested.

Y2Kev

RevenantKioku said:
Oh **** that sounds good. Maybe it'll feature Gackt in a dog costume.

hey, we both like Gackt's music in DoC, so that's cool dawg.

ethel: where are you pulling the credit from?

RevenantKioku

ethelred said:

Previous credits:

Of course ethelred leaves out:
Saga Frontier (1997), Square Co., Ltd. (Art Director)
Final Fantasy V (1992), Square Co., Ltd. (Battle Graphics)

That's....Hmm.

duckroll

ivysaur12 said:
OH DEAR GOD

Check out his awesome full gameography! :lol

Hiroshi Takai (1992-current):

Final Fantasy V (SNES) - Battle Graphics (one of several)
SaGa Frontier (PSX) - Art Director (one of several)
Legend of Mana (PSX) - Battle Effect & Battle Design Chief
The Bouncer (PS2) - Game Planner (one of two)
The Last Remnant (Xbox360/PS3) - Director

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
duckroll said:
Check out his awesome full gameography! :lol

Hiroshi Takai (1992-current):

Final Fantasy V (SNES) - Battle Graphics (one of several)
SaGa Frontier (PSX) - Art Director (one of several)
Legend of Mana (PSX) - Battle Effect & Battle Design Chief
The Bouncer (PS2) - Game Planner (one of two)
The Last Remnant (Xbox360/PS3) - Director

Oh shit oh shit oh shit!

I think I've seen all I need to see! ;p

Top Bottom