• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (Japan) |OT| The Gooch's Final (?) Fantasy

Mithos

thefro said:
2ch troll unboxes the Special Edition
I have to admit, the very end made me laugh

Someone posted this as a response on another place, and I agree this is how I feel after watching that video.

cR2Xp.gif

EDarkness

Picked the game up and even got the soundtrack. Gonna be giving it a try in a few minutes. Packaging is nice. If anyone can't find the soundtrack with the game, try Fujisawa Bic Camera. They have a bunch of them behind the counter.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Serenade said:
Is there an option to use the pointer? It doesn't seem like it and that's just such a waste.
sprsk, answer this mans question

no answer means he could possibly die

EDarkness

Shanks said:
Why do I get the feeling this is not going to meet expectations sales-wise?

Probably true. No one bought a copy while I was in the shop except me, but the weekend is coming, so hopefully word of mouth will spread around and people will pick it up later...at least in my area. I'm sure the Yokohama stores are selling copies like crazy. I'm hopeful that it'll do well, though.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Boney said:
That's not funny

people died
i'm holding on by a string.

dammit if real life rules weren't so restricting i would leap across the internet and see how much fun people are having with this game

:sadface

EDarkness

Put a little time into the game and it's pretty good so far. Loving the combat system, but the lack of IR for aiming is annoying. I still don't understand why companies do this. Still, they keep throwing a ton of guys at me and it's fun to polish them off in droves. Telling character to do something like blow up a bridge or take down wall is awesome.

Can't wait for the game to open up a bit.

Diffense

I have watched quite a few play videos now.
Even though I don't understand much, it's strangely fun to watch.
The character personalities come through just through the way they talk/act.
That's one thing about Sakaguchi RPGs, I always like his cast.

You know, the marketing push for this game is pretty damn big. The store displays coming out months in advance, pre-order incentives, the live conference + commercial for the live conference, plus normal tv ads and all that. So should the game bomb, you really can't blame the marketing folks -- or Nintendo -- for it at all. The fault lies purely with the JP Wii owners + JRPG lovers. Donkey Kong Returns' marketing push was definitely a lot less than that of this game, for example. The damn release date wasn't even announced until less than a month before! There's not even any competition for this game, save Ore no Imouto -- which shouldn't sell more than 300,000 anyways.

Shirokun

Mockingbird said:
You know, the marketing push for this game is pretty damn big. The store displays coming out months in advance, pre-order incentives, the live conference + commercial for the live conference, plus normal tv ads and all that. So should the game bomb, you really can't blame the marketing folks -- or Nintendo -- for it at all. The fault lies purely with the JP Wii owners + JRPG lovers. Donkey Kong Returns' marketing push was definitely a lot less than that of this game, for example. The damn release date wasn't even announced until less than a month before! There's not even any competition for this game, save Ore no Imouto -- which shouldn't sell more than 300,000 anyways.

Valkyria Chronicles 3 should put up a pretty good fight.

Diffense said:
Online co-op mode versus first boss, Cocoon.
[No spoiler, if you watched even the first trailer you saw this enemy]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_duyHIyZfjw

Wow. That's pretty sweet, especially considering it's not even part of the main game. Could add a lot more playtime.

Shirokun said:
Valkyria Chronicles 3 should put up a pretty good fight.
Considering how the previous one sold, it seems doubtful.

Mockingbird said:
There's not even any competition for this game, save Ore no Imouto -- which shouldn't sell more than 300,000 anyways.

Maybe on a game-for-game basis, but today is a really packed day for new releases in Japan. Don't forget the two Otaku games on the 360 - Gal Gun and Dream Club Zero. May not be the same audience as for The Last Story, but it may mean people waiting a few weeks to buy it. I really want to see this sell well though (and hear that my preorder has shipped!)

Diffense

Mockingbird said:
Wow. That's pretty sweet, especially considering it's not even part of the main game. Could add a lot more playtime.

Yeah, seems pretty fun.
I remember sakaguchi saying that item rewards from beating online bosses can be forged into weapons stronger than those obtainable in-game.
So I guess the online is separate but integrated in a Monster Hunter type of setup.

EDIT:
Sales-wise, I'm expecting ~100,000+-10000 first week.
I believe if it hopes to grow into a breakout success, it'll have to do so on legs.
Fortunately, the online multiplay component certainly doesn't hurt it there.
But this has been a tough gen for new franchies that aren't Wii Fit/Sports/etc.

farnham

Banned
bought it new at akihabara for 5800 yen (bout 1000¥ cheaper)

wont be able to enjoy it until next week though

my wii is in germany :(

anyway OP but should i get reginleiv ?

farnham said:
500¥ cheaper damn

Yes, but you have the game now and I don't. Plus I don't get any points except for the 1 T-point I get for paying at a Family Mart =/ What store did you go to btw?

also, yes, get Reginleiv! It's hella fun once you get used to the controls. The story isn't special but it is entertaining! I enjoyed it a lot.

farnham

Banned
Mockingbird said:
Yes, but you have the game now and I don't. Plus I don't get any points except for the 1 T-point I get for paying at a Family Mart =/ What store did you go to btw?

also, yes, get Reginleiv! It's hella fun once you get used to the controls. The story isn't special but it is entertaining! I enjoyed it a lot.
some random store as the big ones like sofmap seemed to sell it for 6000¥ +

some smaller ones sold it for 6000+ too

another store that seemed to specialize in games for girls sold out btw ( the shop was near excelior cafė)

oh i also saw a used copy for 5400 ¥. unfortunately it was too late

squall23

I actually played Reginleiv with WM+, I found it to be my favorite style of play for the game. The only downside of the game was that all the weapons you get from single player don't get transferred to multiplayer which sucked since there were SO MANY weapons to get.

As for this game, I think once it's been established that there are enough people in GAF with the game, we should have a Co-op night.

BowieZ

Banned
The music is straight-up godly. Well, some of it's a bit lackluster, but the slower clarinet theme parts are beautiful.

wsippel

Banned
farnham said:
bought it new at akihabara for 5800 yen (bout 1000¥ cheaper)

wont be able to enjoy it until next week though

my wii is in germany :(

anyway OP but should i get reginleiv ?
Reginleiv is mindless, not exactly beautiful, has some technical issues, but it's a lot of fun. Especially with Motion+. It's pure carnage, and the weapons feel awesome. And the game is really, really long.

squall23 said:
I actually played Reginleiv with WM+, I found it to be my favorite style of play for the game. The only downside of the game was that all the weapons you get from single player don't get transferred to multiplayer which sucked since there were SO MANY weapons to get.

As for this game, I think once it's been established that there are enough people in GAF with the game, we should have a Co-op night.

Holy snaps. That never even crossed my mind! Count me in! I would be down for online Reginleiv too, but it's been a long while since I've played it -- and I hardly even touched the online mode, to be honest.

Hela

DJmizuhara said:
How is the stream for you? Is it choppy?
It's good for me now.

The flatfaced boss battle seamed like pure chaos and not in a good way.
Also, walking-around-with-the-bullet animation is pretty ridiculous.

thefro

squall23 said:

Definitely, that sounds like a plan. I'm going to be curious tonight to see if I can play random matches against people from Japan without the lag being absolutely horrible.

EDarkness

Hela said:
It's good for me now.

The flatfaced boss battle seamed like pure chaos and not in a good way.
Also, walking-around-with-the-bullet animation is pretty ridiculous.

I was watching the feed for a while, but those guys really aren't going at the game seriously enough. So I'll just go back to playing it. Heh, heh.

I thought that boss fight was awesome. They're just trying to fly through the game because they're showing it off and not really taking things seriously. I thought the fight was tough, and trying to keep your guys alive while using the cannons to heal your crew and keep the boss from on shotting your caster is tough, but really added something to the game for me. I'm having a lot of fun with it, to be honest.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
OK I see a lot of people talking about streams, I wanna say a couple of things before I get to my impressions.

This game is not importer friendly, it is fuuuuuuuuuull of voice and it's not just meaningless chatter. I liken it to when I got burning rangers back in high school. I had no idea what to do and I was bored as shit. This was because I didn't know that they were giving me directions. The characters in Last Story are fairly constantly forming strategy on the fly and telling you to do things.

If you see videos of people running around like a chicken with their head cut off it means they are missing orders or they haven't gotten used to the combat yet. And it does take some getting used to!

So ok, some impressions.

I dunno if it's because the gooch has been in America too long or what, but you can really tell this is a JRPG made from someone on the outside looking in. Little things like, instead of the game starting out with cutscene after cutscene, it starts you off right in the middle of a dungeon. Imagine that! Letting the gamer play the damn game!

Other things like having the PC's talk to each other all the time during dungeons instead of burying them in optional skits (Hey Tales I'm lookin' at you) really help flesh out the characters and make playing the game more fun, not to mention it makes battles much more dynamic.

You can tell a lot of love was put in to this game. Every encounter was hand crafted and is unique. No random battles (so far) and no hearing the same 10 or so attack call-outs over and over. Every battle has a different strategy. Love it!

My favorite encounter so far had me and Quark sitting outside this room where a guy and his gang of thieves were hanging out. Quark says to me, "Elza you stay here, we'll go around and attack from the other side. Don't move till I give the sign" So I stay there and wait. Then, I hear Quark go "Ok get ready to attack in 3... 2... GO!" and I see him bust through the other side as I'm running in through my side, we sandwich the enemies and take em out. It was so cool. The whole dungeon (The raid on this thief's hangout) really felt more than just an RPG dungeon and more like we were really in there with a purpose. Something you just don't get in RPGs.

Anywho, it's late so forgive me if my impressions are all over the place. To me the game is really something special. Nintendo has to be localizing this. They HAVE to be.

Diffense said:
lol, that stream was pretty bad.
The players weren't paying attention, then got confused about what to do.

What can I say; Brian was playing but he was more interested in getting laid and sending text message to girls than actually playing the game.

Celine

sprsk said:
OK I see a lot of people talking about streams, I wanna say a couple of things before I get to my impressions.

This game is not importer friendly, it is fuuuuuuuuuull of voice and it's not just meaningless chatter. I liken it to when I got burning rangers back in high school. I had no idea what to do and I was bored as shit. This was because I didn't know that they were giving me directions. The characters in Last Story are fairly constantly forming strategy on the fly and telling you to do things.

If you see videos of people running around like a chicken with their head cut off it means they are missing orders or they haven't gotten used to the combat yet. And it does take some getting used to!

So ok, some impressions.

I dunno if it's because the gooch has been in America too long or what, but you can really tell this is a JRPG made from someone on the outside looking in. Little things like, instead of the game starting out with cutscene after cutscene, it starts you off right in the middle of a dungeon. Imagine that! Letting the gamer play the damn game!

Other things like having the PC's talk to each other all the time during dungeons instead of burying them in optional skits (Hey Tales I'm lookin' at you) really help flesh out the characters and make playing the game more fun, not to mention it makes battles much more dynamic.

You can tell a lot of love was put in to this game. Every encounter was hand crafted and is unique. No random battles (so far) and no hearing the same 10 or so attack call-outs over and over. Every battle has a different strategy. Love it!

My favorite encounter so far had me and Quark sitting outside this room where a guy and his gang of thieves were hanging out. Quark says to me, "Elza you stay here, we'll go around and attack from the other side. Don't move till I give the sign" So I stay there and wait. Then, I hear Quark go "Ok get ready to attack in 3... 2... GO!" and I see him bust through the other side as I'm running in through my side, we sandwich the enemies and take em out. It was so cool. The whole dungeon (The raid on this thief's hangout) really felt more than just an RPG dungeon and more like we were really in there with a purpose. Something you just don't get in RPGs.

Anywho, it's late so forgive me if my impressions are all over the place. To me the game is really something special. Nintendo has to be localizing this. They HAVE to be.
:-Q

ivysaur12

Banned
sprsk said:

So ok, some impressions.

Holy crap, I'm beyond hyped right now. That sounds sublime.

Top Bottom