• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Story (Japan) |OT| The Gooch's Final (?) Fantasy

Yaweee

ReyVGM said:
Is it just me or does this part of the Ruli City music track sound a tad bit like this part of the Mines of Narshe music track from Final Fantasy 6?

I know one goes lower than the other, but when I heard the Ruli City theme all I could feel was Final Fantasy 6 music flashbacks. Which is not a bad thing at all.

Being Uematsu and all, a lot of the music has some similarities to his previous stuff. Boss Battle reminds me of FF9, the regular battle reminds me of FF8 meets Rocky.

My brother tried it today and told me the game is surprisingly different from what expected from a regaler JRPG. It is vast despite there is no world map, the fighting system is not tedious and repetitive but rather engaging and the characters and story are excellent so far.
I really want it localized :( NOA

The title screen looks exactly like the first area. I hope it changes depending on where you are in the game. In fact I pretty much expect it.

VivaciousSoul said:
The title screen looks exactly like the first area. I hope it changes depending on where you are in the game. In fact I pretty much expect it.

Sakaguchi already confirmed that, yes.

thefro

FedEx shipped the game today so I'm playing it now.

Packaging is fantastic, love the artwork. Manual attack move feels good but I'm not sure if I like having "HIDE" mapped to down on the control pad. I may change to the classic controller.

I immediately found a rare chest at the beginning of the game that isn't in any of the playthrough videos, so that made me happy.

VivaciousSoul said:

It does, Sakaguchi showed it in the demo videos he's doing.

Ledsen

I have some questions about Japanese-noob-friendlieness...

1) are there subtitles for the cutscenes?

2) Most importantly, is there any way to pause the game while still being able to see the text on-screen? I only studied Japanese full-time for 6 months last year (in Tokyo, but still) so I'm not at a very high level. I need my electronic dictionary and a lot of time to translate stuff.

Celine

Cow Mengde said:
The first hour of the game is on youtube for everyone to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIPPVGP8Mgg
hypnotic_trance_dog.jpg

Last Story is now my most wanted Wii game with the new Zeruda.

farnham

Banned
Yaweee said:
All signs pointed to that game being boring shit, or at least that's my impression from its OT and reviews I've read elsewhere. Videos make it look like the battles are freakishly slow.
i have it

i want my 10 dollarz back

its not that the game itself is boring.
the chars are ridiculously uninteresting and the story is for lil kids at best

shudder

thefro

Ok, here's a few of the staff credits from the manual... seems to be mainly Artoon/Blue Dragon folks along with some new people

Producer
Yutaka Takehisa

Program Lead
Takuto Nakamura

Art Lead
Koh Okamura

Game Design Lead
Tsukasa Tanaka

Screenplay
Masaru Hatano
Takatoshi Aoki

Nobuo's music was arranged by Yoshitaka Suzuki & Tsutomu Narita

RPGCrazied

I played some of the import. This game starts off really fast, no real introduction or anything. Maybe this game has a lot of flashbacks or something? I couldn't understand a word, so the first real boss of the game just beat the shit out of me.

You know, the more I see of this game, the more it reminds me of a slower more RPG heavy version of Vindictus. When I saw the boss ramming into pillars, I was almost screaming at the guy to get away or they might hit you.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Glad to hear the Gooch's game is being well received, if only he'd gone through such lengths with his previous endeavors. :(

I think what I'm most looking forward to seeing is all the customization people have done by the time people start hitting endgame.

It's the first thing I look for online whenever a game comes out that offers armor/ clothing options.

I better see some videos start popping up on Youbtube within the next week or two!

Darkky

This definitely is a grand production - the first 10 minutes impressed me. But as much as I can guess the dialogue, it doesn't feel as interesting as opposed to reading and hearing them in English... I suppose the interest will wear off quicker than on other games due to the lack of connection with the storyline :(

desu

Also got my game, even though I suddenly dont feel like playing at all ... :s

VivaciousSoul said:

It does, there are 9 backgrounds in total.

Since I didnt feel like playing much so far, I at least checked the disc to find any interesting stuf. Seems there are 12664 sound files on the disc.

A total of 73 BGM tracks listed, prolly ripping the ost for myself later until the real ost comes out.

Fritz

Darkky said:
This definitely is a grand production - the first 10 minutes impressed me. But as much as I can guess the dialogue, it doesn't feel as interesting as opposed to reading and hearing them in English... I suppose the interest will wear off quicker than on other games due to the lack of connection with the storyline :(

I don't really get what you're saying. But isn't the dialogue much more connected to the storyline progression than in a Tales game for example. Impressions so far sure sound like that's the case.

Diffense

He can only guess at the Japanese so he's not really following the story.
I won't import either, because I know I won't understand much.
But I think TLS stands a good chance of leaving Japan.
I just hope it won't be a year from the Japanese release.

thefro

Anyone in the US with either a Japanese Wii or using Gecko having any luck connecting to the MP?

I'm using Gecko to run the game, and I can connect to Wifi (my handle shows up in the rankings) but when I try to connect to a match it just sits there trying to connect.

Reading up on it, I guess I'll have to use another method if I want to play MP, because some games like Goldeneye block Gecko since you can use cheat codes through it.

To those who played Xenoblade AND are playing The Last Story now:

I'm playing TLS now and it's kinda one of the best JRPGs I've ever played to be honest, but I keep hearing people saying Xenoblade is the best JRPG this generation by a mile. I don't really care which is better, since I'm really enjoying TLS. But what are your opinions if you compare both to each other? Thanks in advance!

wrowa

I shouldn't have started listening to the OST, it makes me want to play the game badly. It's great, really great.

M74

The opening act of the the 1-hour video made me think "Gears with swords and crazy hair" for some reason. I'm not usually a fan of JRPGs, but I would buy this in a heartbeat if they localized it.

Edit: Though, I do find it a bit odd the game does not allow for pointer controls when shooting arrows. Fumblestick aiming in a Wii game?

-Oath

Started it up last night after giving up my Xenoblade playthrough (for now).
Not much to say. The gameplay is solid, the presentation is pretty top notch and the story seems to be taking off rather quick.
I like it.
Just got to Ruli City.

-Oath said:
Started it up last night after giving up my Xenoblade playthrough (for now).
Not much to say. The gameplay is solid, the presentation is pretty top notch and the story seems to be taking off rather quick.
I like it.
Just got to Ruli City.
Just what I needed! Regarding my post from before:

Mailenstein said:
To those who played Xenoblade AND are playing The Last Story now:

I'm playing TLS now and it's kinda one of the best JRPGs I've ever played to be honest, but I keep hearing people saying Xenoblade is the best JRPG this generation by a mile. I don't really care which is better, since I'm really enjoying TLS. But what are your opinions if you compare both to each other? Thanks in advance!
Could you answer me please? Thanks :).

-Oath

Mailenstein said:
Just what I needed! Regarding my post from before:

Could you answer me please? Thanks :).

Well to be fair I just started TLS :/ Give me a good 10-15 hours with the game and I may be able to give you a reply.

Just got to Ruli City. I opted to actually fight the first boss for EXP -- it took a long time! But the amount of exp you get is so little! It would've been better to keep summoning skeletons on the bridge than to have wasted time killing the first boss!

-Oath

Mockingbird said:
Just got to Ruli City. I opted to actually fight the first boss for EXP -- it took a long time! But the amount of exp you get is so little! It would've been better to keep summoning skeletons on the bridge than to have wasted time killing the first boss!
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Boss was kinda fun though.

Effect

Cow Mengde said:
The first hour of the game is on youtube for everyone to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIPPVGP8Mgg

I could only watch about half before I started getting very, very annoyed that there is a pretty good chance this won't be coming out in North America. Just wasn't enjoyable. I think I'm going to stop (or try to stop) looking at anything regarding this game as to not annoy myself any further. If it comes out I'll get it. However I have no faith that it will. I fear that I won't be interested if the wait is a few years long as well.

thefro

Haven't played Raid mode yet, but the online PvP mode is surprisingly fun, even just 1 on 1.

There's lots of different powerups on the map and the different types of arrows (burst, paralyze), etc and the differences in attack scheme between a fighter and a mage. Almost becomes a paper/rock/scissors type thing where different tactics defeat what the other player is trying to do. You can pick up different swords and frying pans and stuff. Timing your guarding and dodging is critical.

You can play as the enemy monsters. Fighting as Zangurg is pretty cool

You get rank and items so that part provides the player incentives almost like Call of Duty.

Netcode seemed good, but I'll have to play more later when some more Japanese people wake up and start playing.

Top Bottom