• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert |OT| Beginning September 8th - 11:30/10:30c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimosa97

Another of the former Daily Show stable.

She is a former Daily Show correspondent, and mean lady towards our glorious male late night race.

A longtime Daily Show correspondent until she recently quit to do her own late night show for TBS, to begin next year.

One of the longer running correspondents on The Daily Show, known for being very gonzo and no-holds-barred with her pieces. Married to Jason Jones, the other long-time correspondent who also has some of the best bits.

Oh shiiiiit I didn't recognize her but again I haven't watched the daily show in a while. Glad to see she's getting her own show.

Next time invite the master, Stephen.

pFK05jj.gif

Seriously, he didn't even flirt with her a little bit.

Sanjuro

Might be a good idea to put her at 10:30. That way she gets the jump on every other late night talk show. Might even give Conan a boost.

I doubt it. Conan's ratings are "eh". His best lead-in is the Big Bang Theory. I think TBS has sort of embraced his online presence a bit. I think ideally 10:00-10:30 for her and possibly another draw, and/or BBT. It's really hard to call.

I kind of wish they never gave Deon Cole a chance, as I miss him terribly on Conan.

I doubt it. Conan's ratings are "eh". His best lead-in is the Big Bang Theory. I think TBS has sort of embraced his online presence a bit. I think ideally 10:00-10:30 for her and possibly another draw, and/or BBT. It's really hard to call.

I kind of wish they never gave Deon Cole a chance, as I miss him terribly on Conan.

I think Deon would have left anyway. He returned to Conan briefly after Black Box was cancelled but quickly left to pursue acting jobs.

I always liked Deon's bits on Conan but man, Black Box was bad.

Sanjuro

You can tell he is having fun with his live program. I don't think one interview has felt natural on broadcast...which is a good thing in terms of editing.

Miracle

Interesting interview. But never an bad argument even once in his 21 years as SCJ? I mean it might be true but it's so hard to believe.

DarkKyo

Wow I think his Blunt interview was one of his best yet. Probably just because she seems to roll with his humor really well.

Sanjuro

I think Deon would have left anyway. He returned to Conan briefly after Black Box was cancelled but quickly left to pursue acting jobs.

I always liked Deon's bits on Conan but man, Black Box was bad.

Yeah. It was bad. He didn't really go "back" to Conan, he just kind of makes appearances. The writers on Conan I imagine now aren't well paid. Notable one on Colbert too.

This might sound terrible, but Deon worked on Conan because he was a black dude on a mostly white show. His program felt like he grabbed that intangible and turned it into a half hour program, which isn't appealing to viewers of Conan or outsiders.

Pete Holmes was in a similar manner, but his program really only satisfied an internet crowd.

TBS is trying, but the audience is kind of all over the place for them unfortunately. I read somewhere that Conan is most popular with Latino viewers now...for...reasons!

Wag

Eh, Stephen's band just isn't very good. They seem to be able to only to play that funky R&B/New Orleans stuff. OK I guess but it gets old fast. Not good enough for a big time 11:30 show anyways.

Couldn't have had a better band for their first rock act. The Dead Weather is so damn good live.

I want an extended version of this Michael Peña/Adam Scott commercial.

Couldn't have had a better band for their first rock act. The Dead Weather is so damn good live.

I want an extended version of this Michael Peña/Adam Scott commercial.
Did they do I Feel Love (Every a Million Miles)? That song sounds killer live going off of the Live at Third Man video they released. It's a damn shame they aren't touring, but it always great to see Jack with Stephen.

Don't know who they are, but they were leagues better than that Toby Keith dude. Scared she was gonna smash her face into the mic stand lol..

Run the Jewels tomorrow? Now we talking..
The singer is from The Kills, the guitarist is from Queens of the Stone Age, the bassist is from The Raconteurs, and the drummer is Jack White.

Did they do I Feel Love (Every a Million Miles)?
Yep.

Eh, Stephen's band just isn't very good. They seem to be able to only to play that funky R&B/New Orleans stuff. OK I guess but it gets old fast.

I have to agree that the band isn't clicking, and I say this as a pretty big jazz fan who likes lots of jazz subgenres. They just don't seem to "jump" off the screen. It's like I can't even really hear what they're playing. It sounds thin and just lacks the punch needed for a good late night band. If you think about it, they get 3-4 seconds at a time to make a mark and these guys aren't hitting that mark. I guess I am just a big fan of the traditional, showy, horn-laden band a la what Max Weinberg and Paul Schaefer had. The Roots are fresher take on the same thing (and are obviously much, much more, too).

If I had any real advice to change something about the show it would be to do something different with the band (maybe a different band) and don't do the cold open with goofy dance moves. Have a traditional opening theme sequence and go right into to the short monolog (which I really like).

Sanjuro

New Conan episodes at 12:30 in Canada starting again this week.

I guess I'm no longer part of the "Secret Meyers OT".

Dead to me.

I basically watch Conan, and cut out on the guest leading in. Today was Gaffigan, who actually was pretty great from the 5-7 mins I got with him.

I'm actually enjoying Corden tonight. Corden is like Conan without wit, but his remotes can save his chubby ass.

Wag

I have to agree that the band isn't clicking, and I say this as a pretty big jazz fan who likes lots of jazz subgenres. They just don't seem to "jump" off the screen. It's like I can't even really hear what they're playing. It sounds thin and just lacks the punch needed for a good late night band. If you think about it, they get 3-4 seconds at a time to make a mark and these guys aren't hitting that mark. I guess I am just a big fan of the traditional, showy, horn-laden band a la what Max Weinberg and Paul Schaefer had. The Roots are fresher take on the same thing (and are obviously much, much more, too).

If I had any real advice to change something about the show it would be to do something different with the band (maybe a different band) and don't do the cold open with goofy dance moves. Have a traditional opening theme sequence and go right into to the short monolog (which I really like).

Part of the problem with the band is that they're not even playing any covers. The Roots and all the other late night bands (with a few exceptions) play covers during the breaks. They need to play more variety. I love R&B/Jazz more than anybody, but for a big show, that's just not enough.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Another solid show. As a long time viewer of the Report it's really great to see bits and pieces of it peeking through every so often. Prior to tonight I've never heard The Dead Weather but they certainly have an interesting sound I'll probably try to listen to more if they are on google music.

The only part that isn't clicking with me yet is the band. And by not clicking I mean I really don't like them. What instrument is Batiste playing? It looks like a mini kids keyboard that he's using like a trumpet? There is zero rapport between him and Stephen and them trying to force it come off as very awkward. I hope they find a new band this guy needs the boot imo.

Sanjuro

Meyers and his white ass progressive band looks terrible now! Each band on each show is very different. Baptiste is doing exactly what he is there to do, and Colbert isn't going heavy on him early. Which makes sense.

I mean I could be wrong...Latino Damon Wayans Jr is freaking me out, MAN.

EDIT: His socks are great though.

I like the band. They're a fairly minimal presence on the air, and it seems like they really keep the crowd fired up over what has to be a long taping.

But I usually hate late night bands. So...?

The problem with the band is that they're just "there". They have no stage presence. Batiste doesn't say more than two words in the entire show. The songs they play are nearly all of the same style.

Undoubtedly they'll get better and find their place in the show, but right now it feels like they're plopped in there.

Sanjuro

The problem with the band is that they're just "there". They have no stage presence. Batiste doesn't say more than two words in the entire show. The songs they play are nearly all of the same style.

Undoubtedly they'll get better and find their place in the show, but right now it feels like they're plopped in there.

That's where they need to be right now. Then they extract the personalities as the show progresses, if needed.

I think Leno is a good example. Eubanks was nothing more than a "Oh, man Jay!". It worked for his medium. Max didn't work with Conan for a while either, but they found their weaknesses and made them amazing.

Wag

The only part that isn't clicking with me yet is the band. And by not clicking I mean I really don't like them. What instrument is Batiste playing? It looks like a mini kids keyboard that he's using like a trumpet? There is zero rapport between him and Stephen and them trying to force it come off as very awkward. I hope they find a new band this guy needs the boot imo.

Melodica.jpg

He's playing an amplified melodica.

He can obviously play the piano, for some inconceivable reason he doesn't want to.

That's where they need to be right now. Then they extract the personalities as the show progresses, if needed.

I think Leno is a good example. Eubanks was nothing more than a "Oh, man Jay!". It worked for his medium. Max didn't work with Conan for a while either, but they found their weaknesses and made them amazing.

Yeah I agree. That's probably for the best, as it would be worse if Batiste and the band came out guns blazing since episode 1 with their own presence without even knowing whether or not it gels well with Colbert's.

With that said, I think the band is definitely the weakest link at the moment.

Mariolee

I love the music! It's so different and fresh. I do agree their rapport needs work which is odd considering I was listening to the Late Show podcast between them and their idealogies and senses of humor were so in sync so I thought it would be amazing right off the bat. It most likely just needs time.

ah shit forgot corden got reggie watts as well (I dunno how that happened) that was an amazing get too. does he contribute much of worth to the show tho?

Sanjuro

ah shit forgot corden got reggie watts as well (I dunno how that happened) that was an amazing get too. does he contribute much of worth to the show tho?

Not enough. He flirts with Corden a bit at the beginning, does the opening. He then asks the quests a final question, which is usually nonsensical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom