• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak Announced - Summer 2024 (Localization of Kuro No Kiseki)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

(Nintendo Switch, PS4, PS5, PC)​

Learn more @ https://thelegendofheroes.com/daybreak/

A new adventure is about to dawn in The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak!Van Arkride is a spriggan, an underground professional that accepts work from any client and acts as a detective, negotiator or bounty hunter with no allegiance. However, the course of his life will change forever when he takes on a strange case that threatens the entire nation. Slash your way through intense combat that springs to life with beautiful visuals, and craft your own gameplay experience in Calvard with features such as high-speed mode and a new morality system!

Coming Summer 2024 to Nintendo Switch, PS4, PS5, and PC!

Last edited:

adamsapple

Danjin44 Danjin44

Happy Paul Rudd GIF by Saturday Night Live

graywolf323

🥳 I had bought the bundle on Steam when I pre-ordered Nayuta so I already have this pre-ordered as well ☺️

hopefully it doesn’t take too long after to get Kuro no Kiseki 2? 🤔

Last edited:

adamsapple

For those wondering where this fits into the grand timeline.

This is the beginning of the Calvard arc, a new set of characters, new location but the same grand mythos.

Thsoe who played the last game, Reverie, may have seen multiple quests and scenes which hint towards something happening soon in the as-of-yet-unseen Calvard region, this is the start of that arc.

Supposedly this is also going to be a 3 game arc.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Good luck my latinamerican and spanish friends trying to pronounce that. You'll need it.

BTW, is this serie that good? I tried a demo on Switch and it was cool but too many conversations so idk...

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

adamsapple

Good look my latinamerican and spanish friends trying to pronounce that. You'll need it.

BTW, is this serie that good? I tried a demo on Switch and it was cool but too many conversations so idk...

They're good JRPGs.

The biggest problem at this point though is that it's a nightmare for newcomer on-boarding. There is a decade worth of JRPGs that already precede this game. Even the youtube recaps are *HOURS* long because these are, frankly, 100hr long JRPGs each.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That's a pretty lengthy wait, but I'm glad it's happening - NISA has been good to us with this series. And I suppose I can't complain too much, as I'm playing through Trails to Azure right now... so I still have to replay Cold Steel 1 and Cold Steel 2, and then play Cold Steel 3 and Cold Steel 4 and Reverie for the first time. And I still haven't played 3rd.

I guess I'll be alright.

Kataploom

Gold Member
They're good JRPGs.

The biggest problem at this point though is that it's a nightmare for newcomer on-boarding. There is a decade worth of JRPGs that already precede this game. Even the youtube recaps are *HOURS* long because these are, frankly, 100hr long JRPGs each.
Damn... I have no issue with the length as long as it's good but yeah, if "catching up" is the goal then I'd rather play something else. I'll probably try playing them without any expectations though.

adamsapple

Damn... I have no issue with the length as long as it's good but yeah, if "catching up" is the goal then I'd rather play something else. I'll probably try playing them without any expectations though.

For what it's worth, this one is the start of a new arc, and this one also plays differently than previous games (more ARPG) so it's as good of an entry point.

People like me who have been on this franchise since the PSP days are probably going to pick up on talking point, location names and past events more.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

I'm so interested in the battle system: seamless transitions from action combat to turn-based is amazing! I really hope DQ12 is doing something like this!

Reactions: Isa

graywolf323

They're good JRPGs.

yeah I’ve finally started going through the series thanks to my Steam Deck & being able to play Trails in the Sky

in ~4 months I’ve now reached the final dungeon for SC and I’m loving the series (plus being able to mod in the Evo graphics + Japanese voices has been awesome), I hope to have reached Reverie by the time this Daybreak is coming out 😅 (but I’ll probably be lucky if I’m half-way through Cold Steel by that point with all these other games that are releasing as well)

Shouta

It's at least three games but who knows if they'll split it the second half of this story into two parts...

Anyway, this game is the best opening game for a Trails game, maybe even the best game in the franchise. Excellent gameplay, story, characters, and style. It's a real return to form for Trails, highly recommended.

Last edited:

Edmund

I have trials of Reverie but having started playing it yet. I'll probably wait till closer the release date of Kuro (Daybreak) to start it.

Is Reverie as good as Trails in the Sky 2, Trials to Azure and Cold Steel 3?

To me, these 3 games are the best amongst the trails series.

Last edited:

SantaC

I have trials of Reverie but having started playing it yet. I'll probably wait till closer the release date of Kuro (Daybreak) to start it.

Reverie is just as good as Cold Steel 3. But the music in Reverie is some of the best in the series.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

I would say it's about on par with CS3. Sky's story is better IMO.

Paltheos

Nice English title. I think there was allot of speculation for translating Kuro no Kiseki into Trails before Dawn, but Trails through Daybreak sounds way better.
Good pick on Troy Baker to play Van too. Dude's got some real Yuri Lowell energy, so casting Troy to play the part is an easy shoe-in. Allot of the VAing in the trailer still fell flat for me though, so I'll probably continue sticking with the Japanese dub (again).

That's a pretty lengthy wait, but I'm glad it's happening - NISA has been good to us with this series. And I suppose I can't complain too much, as I'm playing through Trails to Azure right now... so I still have to replay Cold Steel 1 and Cold Steel 2, and then play Cold Steel 3 and Cold Steel 4 and Reverie for the first time. And I still haven't played 3rd.

I guess I'll be alright.

These games are absolutely gargantuan (and they trend bigger as time goes on). This is actually a faster turn-around than I was expecting.
FYI, you don't really have to replay CS1&2 imo. I'm guessing you did the same thing I did: CS1&2 --loopback--> Sky games --> Zero&Azure. If you remember the broad strokes, you'll be fine in CS3. The game will remind you of anything else important. Definitely play Sky 3 though. Opinions are polarized on it, but if you enjoy character stories, lore, and gameplay more than the traditional Trails "wander around and talk to 1000 NPCs", you'll probably like it. Sky 3's in my top 3 for this series.

I wonder which series will end first:

One Piece or Trails?

One Piece probably. Oda's slowed down in recent years and he does write multi-hundred chapters arcs, but it's still in endgame mode. I'd peg 5 years to it tops.
Trails hasn't finished the Daybreak arc and there's still at least one more story arc after it before we reach the finish line. Falcom will probably break up their release schedule with another Ys or something else in the interim too (rumor is a Xanadu game or new IP is in the works).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
These games are absolutely gargantuan (and they trend bigger as time goes on). This is actually a faster turn-around than I was expecting.
FYI, you don't really have to replay CS1&2 imo. I'm guessing you did the same thing I did: CS1&2 --loopback--> Sky games --> Zero&Azure. If you remember the broad strokes, you'll be fine in CS3. The game will remind you of anything else important. Definitely play Sky 3 though. Opinions are polarized on it, but if you enjoy character stories, lore, and gameplay more than the traditional Trails "wander around and talk to 1000 NPCs", you'll probably like it. Sky 3's in my top 3 for this series.

Yeah, pretty much. I don't remember much of anything about CS1 and 2, though - it's been like 7+ years... and I stopped playing CS2 at the final dungeon for some reason. I think I was disappointed because I was expecting some sort of conclusion from CS2, not knowing that there'd be a CS3 and 4.

And I need an excuse to play the much, much nicer PC ports.

AmuroChan

Yeah, pretty much. I don't remember much of anything about CS1 and 2, though - it's been like 7+ years... and I stopped playing CS2 at the final dungeon for some reason. I think I was disappointed because I was expecting some sort of conclusion from CS2, not knowing that there'd be a CS3 and 4.

And I need an excuse to play the much, much nicer PC ports.

CS2 does have a conclusion of sort, since there is a time jump between CS2 and CS3. CS1-2 essentially covers the school years of Rean and his Class VII mates.

Thief1987

Yeah, I expected it around this time, glad that it's confirmed now though. Still it will be almost 3 years since japanese release. I remember how around ToCS 4 release window Falcom in an interview said that they hope to speed up localization process. Yeah... and now we are 3 years lttp instead of 2 with ToCS 3,4

Hope Ys X is early 2025 release.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Great news! Looking forward to the western release!

Now let's hope the publishing rights for the older Trails in the Sky gets resolved soon so they can start porting the series outside of Steam (e.g. on PS and Switch) since I really, really, really want them in my physical game collection.
I’d really love for them to port the Evo versions, I mean at least on Steam we can sorta get that thanks to mods but I’d totally replay it on PlayStation to get trophies (I already own everything else on PS4/PS5 except Reverie, though I swear if NISA tries to make us pay yet again for the PS5 versions of Cold Steel 3 & 4 I’m going to scream)
All the trails game are like one long story, right?
yes in so much there’s larger plot points that tie together through all the games, but the arcs can be played separately (you’ll just miss out on some things)

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Great news! Looking forward to the western release!

Now let's hope the publishing rights for the older Trails in the Sky gets resolved soon so they can start porting the series outside of Steam (e.g. on PS and Switch) since I really, really, really want them in my physical game collection.
Yep, would also love physical versions of Trails in the Sky 1-3, plus Cold Steel 1 and 2 on the Switch.

I also agree with graywolf323 graywolf323 that TiTS re-releases should be the Vita "Evolution" versions.

I’d really love for them to port the Evo versions, I mean at least on Steam we can sorta get that thanks to mods but I’d totally replay it on PlayStation to get trophies (I already own everything else on PS4/PS5 except Reverie, though I swear if NISA tries to make us pay yet again for the PS5 versions of Cold Steel 3 & 4 I’m going to scream)

yes in so much there’s larger plot points that tie together through all the games, but the arcs can be played separately (you’ll just miss out on some things)
Thanks! Is this one of those "If you start, you're looking at 1.5k hours of gameplay in order to finish the series" kinds of situations?

graywolf323

Thanks! Is this one of those "If you start, you're looking at 1.5k hours of gameplay in order to finish the series" kinds of situations?
I don’t know about the later games, so far the first two Trails games I’d say you’re probably looking at ~120 hours for the two of them? HowLongToBeat agrees with my assessment there based on the averages for Main + Extra

I have heard the later games in the series are starting to be like Persona with how long they can play, like Trails of Cold Steel III + IV are a combined ~200 hours (though I & II are closer to ~150)

I think it’s probably worth at least trying out the Trails in the Sky FC & SC and see if you get hooked or not

Last edited:

Kururi

Neo Member
Is it true Choices are made in some instances on Kuro? are these changes to the story significant enough to play a second playtrough?.

StereoVsn

I guess I'll be alright.
Why would you want to suffer and replay Cold Steel 1&2? Man, I dropped Cold Steel halfway through 3 as I just couldn't take it any longer, lol.

adamsapple

I loved Trails in the Sky, but I kind of fell off after it. How many games do I have to play to catch up lol

This is the start of a new arc, so you may as well go in fresh, but no doubt this is gonna be referring things from basically the last 10 games you missed lol.

3 sky games, 2 crossbell games, 4 cold steel games and reverie.

Paltheos

Yep, would also love physical versions of Trails in the Sky 1-3, plus Cold Steel 1 and 2 on the Switch.

I also agree with graywolf323 graywolf323 that TiTS re-releases should be the Vita "Evolution" versions.

Only with options to switch settings. The evolution package is a really mixed deal.
Pro: The Japanese dub is really good and remarkably comprehensive compared to modern Trails games.
Con: The Evo portraits are pretty shit. Taste of the artwork itself notwithstanding (Joshua looks like a small child), the expressiveness was axed. Estelle has 30 unique portraits in the original, which were boiled down to 4 in the Evo release. It's so bad that child Estelle, who you see for like 5-10 minutes at the opening of the game, has more portraits than her teenage version who you play as through the whole game. The only other reason to pick Evo portraits is if you must have lip flaps for your character portraits.
Pro: Allot of the Evo music is really good.
Con: Some of it is really bad. Sky 1 Evo's OST was arranged exclusively by talented, long-term affiliates and it really shows - Almost without exception all the music is dramatically improved. Sky 2 and 3 added new contractors of shoddier quality, and their results range from pretty good to hackjobs.

For those wondering where this fits into the grand timeline.

This is the beginning of the Calvard arc, a new set of characters, new location but the same grand mythos.

Thsoe who played the last game, Reverie, may have seen multiple quests and scenes which hint towards something happening soon in the as-of-yet-unseen Calvard region, this is the start of that arc.

The last games I played from this series were:
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky triolgy with the first game and SC and never got to the 3rd game in the bunch.

I also played the older psp Gagharv games.
Legend of heroes 1: A Tear of Vermillion,
Legend of Heroes II: Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch
The Legend of Heroes III: Song of the Ocean

I loved the Liberl trilogy with Estelle and Joshua and their trek across the continent.
I tried cold steel on the vita and could not get into it. The whole school yard aesthetic I just can't stand anymore.
It seems so strange and out of place for a military group. valkyria chronicles did it, and I loved it there, but they all felt like different characters and everything was fleshed out. I didn't get that from cold steel.
Maybe I just need to give it another go.

So knowing that where does this fall in? Before Estelle and Joshua and is it more like those games character wise or more like cold steel?

Not getting this

But I have to say this you guys are in for a ride.

This is the BEST Trails since Trails In The Sky First/Second Chapter
That's what i needed to hear. I loved those games and cold steel never gripped me. The whole school thing is overplayed to me.
More personal stories and a trek across the land with political intrique is in leu of many of my favorite ps1 era rpgs so if its in that vien count me in.

Top Bottom