• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Legacy |OT| Are these Tales of a SaGa?

Seda

4YTtRJzl.jpg

Developer: FuRyu
Publisher: Atlus USA
Price: $39.99/CA$49.99
Release Date: Oct 13th (NA), Early 2016 (EU - published by NISA)
Genre: Turn-based RPG
Reviews: Metacritic | GameRankings

In The Legend of Legacy, Seven adventurers - Liber, Meurs, Owen, Bianca, Garnet, Eloise, Filmia - arrive on the mysterious island of Avalon to pursue their own agenda as explorers. They team up with two of the other adventurers to achieve their objectives - be it exploring the island for treasure, looking for the "god" on the island, or recovering lost memories. But things change when they discover a singing stone that causes the party to see phantasms of Avalon's forgotten history.

Features
  • Seven Unique Perspectives - Each character in The Legend of Legacy has their own motivation for exploring Avalon, and their individual conclusion at the story's resolution.
  • Combat Gets Classless - Managing formations to instruct specific combat roles instead of fixed classes.
  • Notable Credits - Illustrator Tomomi Kobayashi (SaGa series), renowned composer Masashi Hamauzu (SaGa, Final Fantasy XIII), writer Masato Kato (Chrono Trigger), game designer Kyoji Koizumi (SaGa series), and Masataka Matsuura (999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors).
media27ur2u.png

Character Trailers - Meurs and Bianca
Character Trailers - Liber and Garnet
Character Trailers - Owen, Eloise, and Filmia
Launch Edition Unboxing
Twitch Gameplay Recording

LoL_Oct082015_16.jpg
LoL_Oct082015_21.jpg
LoL_Oct082015_27.jpg

LoL_Oct082015_32.jpg
LoL_Oct082015_37.jpg
LoL_Oct082015_38.jpg

LoL_Jun112015_06.jpg
LoL_Jun112015_04.jpg
LoL_Oct282014_04.jpg

FAQ
Q: I heard about gameplay tweaks to the North American release. What are they?
A: atlusprime has you covered:
So here's the deal about the adjustments we made in bringing the game to the west. By and large, they mostly affect NG+.

• In NG+, all the money and formations you designed now carry over. Any special weapons you created will also be available to purchase in the shop.
  • Drop rates for items and materials was increased across the board. Drop rate for rare items goes up in subsequent NG+. FICTITIOUS EXAMPLE TO ILLUSTRATE THIS POINT: The made-up drop rates for a rare item could be in the first 1st Game - 1%, in NG+ 5%, NG++ 8%, NG+++ 10% etc. Let me stress that these numbers are made up and I have no idea what they are for actual items.
  • Finally, the time it takes the trade ship to return is decreased substantially. The ship uses real-world time, and we've decreased the amount of time it takes to return.

Basically, the adjustments were to cut down on the amount of grinding in subsequent playthroughs, making NG+ a little more palatable for western audiences.

-I should clarify that acquired 'stances' which are used in formations are kept in nG+, not formations themselves. Also my equipment selection at the shop seemed to be the same in NG+, so I'm not sure on the nuances there.

Q: What carries over to New Game+?
A: Money, stances, and encyclopedia entries. You also get a new portrait style to use in menus.

Q: The battle system is confusing. Elements, stances, skills? What's going on?
A: Many of the game's mechanics aren't introduced deliberately. Check the 'Combat' section in the eManual for starters. Instead of using pure levels, The Legend of Legacy uses three types of "stances": Attack, Guard and Support. A character's effectiveness in each type of stance improves the more they use said stance. Skills are also strengthened through exercised use. The more you use skills, the stronger they get.
  • Support-style stance: Improves healing effectiveness and speed
  • Guard-style stance: Raises Defense and causes defensive skills to apply to the party.
  • Attack-style stance: Increases attack power

Q: How do I get more stances?
A: There are multiples types of Attack/Guard/Support-style stances, with varying bonuses. When you sell a map to the shop, other NPCs can show up in the explorable areas. Talk to them and they may give you a new stance.

Q: Do I have to buy the maps from the shop?
A: No, not every map. Many areas will automatically give you a map if you explore fields naturally. However, there are a few locations in which you do have to buy the map to unlock it.

Q: What do I so with these Statues and Coins I'm finding?
A: Sell them, there's no other use for non-equipment items.

Q: How do I revive fallen party members in battle?
A: Use any heal spell. However, their max HP will be slightly lowered until you find a place to rest.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome OT! That Launch Edition looks gorgeous.

Shizuka

I wish I got the chance to review this game, but in any case, it's a nice addition to Atlus USA catalogue. I hope people enjoy the game.

Nice OP!

Keep forgetting that I preordered last month, but I have raw, ugly byzantine RPG needs. Will probably start with Garnet due to her sporting a look like she's about ready to cut a bitch on the cover.

Aeana

I'm disappointed that the improvements are only for NG+... didn't even get that far in the JP version.

jackal27

Banned
Great OP! I'm still trying to decide if I want to buy this right now or wait for a price drop... I like the demo, but that mechanic of exploring, then selling the map, exploring again is stale to me.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Cautiously optimistic about this one. I really liked the demo, and the music is fucking incredible, but I'm worried about the lack of story. Is there at least a solid feeling of progression?

I guess I'm just hoping it doesn't feel like a hunting game where they send you on a series of missions to collect random shit.

As hype as I am for this game, I sadly wont be able to buy it day one due to a tight budget this month.

Ill just hang on tight to my Demo save data till then......

Either way, subbing to this thread, good job on it OP!

randomkid

So excited to pick this up tomorrow, even if everyone apparently gets tired of the game by the end of it. Appreciate the helpful FAQ!

I was going to get this but the demo kinda made me back away. It looks good and sounds great. But boy, did it get repetitive real fast gameplay wise.

I was going to get this but the demo kinda made me back away. It looks good and sounds great. But boy, did it get repetitive real fast gameplay wise.

And that's pretty much how the whole game plays out. If you got bored of the demo, chances are you will be with the final game. I liked it a lot in my review, but the lack of story, direction, or variation really put a huge damper on what otherwise was a nice and colorful RPG.

Pangya

I was able to get an early copy of the game on Saturday and beat the game today, but this was mostly due to excessive grinding in the demo. Game is really fun for me because of the battle system, but I can see how it can get repetitive for a lot of people. I'm about halfway through my new game+ run and can say that a 2nd playthrough will be probably be a lot faster than your first due to knowing what to do already and being able to skip any maps that are not required for the story.

And that's pretty much how the whole game plays out. If you got bored of the demo, chances are you will be with the final game. I liked it a lot in my review, but the lack of story, direction, or variation really put a huge damper on what otherwise was a nice and colorful RPG.

That's disappointing, is the gameplay enough to keep one engaged? There's always Yokai Watch or Trails I guess.

EDIT: nevermind it's YMMV

I dug the demo. Looking forward to picking this up on the way to work tomorrow. I had a real slow day at work today and spent a lot of time grinding the demo, and it's gonna be an equally slow day tomorrow so it'll be nice to have the full game!

ohlawd

ahh crap I didn't know save data can transfer to the full game. haven't even touched the demo. I'm most likely getting the game tomorrow and I won't be OP. boo :(

Thoraxes

I really loved the demo, so i'm super hyped for this.

Also wanna give a shoutout to my boy Masashi Hamauzu for doing an amazing job on the music as always.

2015-05-0218.45.56uluyn.jpg

I played the jp demo...it was good but isn't it a dungeon crawler with one town rtaher than a more traditionnal jrpg ? I was under this impression and so my hype went down down down

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I played the jp demo...it was good but isn't it a dungeon crawler with one town rtaher than a more traditionnal jrpg ? I was under this impression and so my hype went down down down

Yes it's more like a dungeon crawler than a traditional JRPG.

Lombax

Banned
Very excited to pick this up later today. I'm going to have to remember to delete the demo from my DS (I skipped all the cut-scenes during the demo!).

Just curious, during the beginning of the game is there a good explanation as to how the element system works? Or is there a good write-up for how the system works?

HYPE!

Seda

Very excited to pick this up later today. I'm going to have to remember to delete the demo from my DS (I skipped all the cut-scenes during the demo!).

Just curious, during the beginning of the game is there a good explanation as to how the element system works? Or is there a good write-up for how the system works?

HYPE!

Check the emanual for starters. The game itself doesn't explain too much.

HYPE!

You have to invoke an Element before you can use spells for it. You do this by having a character equipped with a Singing Shard and using the "(Elemental) Calling" skill. Only one side can have an element invoked at a time, so enemies can "steal" the element to their side to prevent you from casting any spells from that element.

Invoking an element gives the team a passive bonus. Water grants a regen effect (so you definitely want to keep it away from the enemy's side). You can stack the passive bonus by repeatedly invoking the element, but the most HP I saw being recovered was like 20-something, and that wasn't enough to really keep up with the damage my tank was taking.

There are areas in dungeons that have a high concentration of elements (your elemental compass will flash when you hit such an area), and you'll start the battle with those elements invoked. In the demo it's the glowing water pillars you activate.

To actually cast spells, first you have to equip a Whispering Shard to a character. Each one houses a different spell. As long as your party has the proper element invoked, anyone on your team can cast from a Whispering Shard. Characters have a chance of learning a spell permanently whenever they cast from a Whispering Shard, and sometimes you can learn different spells when you try to cast something (An example I've heard people talk about is learning Hailstorm from Bubble Cannon).

Even after you learn a spell, you must have an elementally attuned accessory/weapon to cast it. Filmia's Regent's Halberd is water-attuned (you can see the little blue plus mark by the icon), so if he has that equipped he can cast water magic from it. Otherwise you'll need a Singing/Whispering shard equipped to access the magic list.

The weirdest part of the demo/intro is that you can't open your menu in the first mission, so your party members are all stuck in whatever role the game assigned them. In Filimia's case, everyone in his party was set into the exact wrong role (Filmia was set as the defender even though he had ridiculously high attack, Bianca had the medical kit even though Liber gets a healing bonus when he uses it, etc).

UCBooties

I can't wait to pick up my launch edition today. I have been playing the demo every time I need a break from P4:DAN and I am so ready to explore new places. I also haven't done anything with the other party members so I'll have to start tinkering with party make up.

Who learns magic quickly?

Also, is it ever possible to learn the element invocation or does someone always need the singing shard equipped?

Who learns magic quickly?

Also, is it ever possible to learn the element invocation or does someone always need the singing shard equipped?

According to Japanese wikis, which may or may not be correct:
Muers and Bianca are good with all magic types (Bianca, it seems, is proficient with all weapons and magic types).
Filmia and Liber are good with Water.
Owen is good with Wind.
Eloise is good with Fire and Wind.
Garnet is apparently bad with all brands of magic, but that's ok because she's clearly meant to be your Tank Girl.

I'm not sure if these are based on official guide books or if this is just people using their experiences to suss it out (for what it's worth, Filmia being good with water magic mirrors my personal experiences with the demo, on the other hand Eloise wouldn't learn diddly with water, so). Owen, Liber and Eloise also heal more HP with medical kits/etc, so they don't need to waste time learning healing magic.

It doesn't look like you can learn invocations.

UCBooties

According to Japanese wikis, which may or may not be correct:
Muers and Bianca are good with all magic types (Bianca, it seems, is proficient with all weapons and magic types).
Filmia and Liber are good with Water.
Owen is good with Wind.
Eloise is good with Fire and Wind.
Garnet is apparently bad with all brands of magic, but that's ok because she's clearly meant to be your Tank Girl.

I'm not sure if these are based on official guide books or if this is just people using their experiences to suss it out (for what it's worth, Filmia being good with water magic mirrors my personal experiences with the demo, on the other hand Eloise wouldn't learn diddly with water, so). Owen, Liber and Eloise also heal more HP with medical kits/etc, so they don't need to waste time learning healing magic.

It doesn't look like you can learn invocations.

Ok, thanks for the info. I'm disappointed you can't learn invocations. I don't like having to use an accesory slot on it for the whole game.

That's how I was left feeling after the demo. It's a shame, because I love SaGa, but this feels like it's taken my least favorite parts of SaGa, made them less enjoyable, and excised any meaningful story or character stuff, which is the death knell for me.

Of course, I also know damn well I'll impulse buy this 6 months from now when I'm bored one night.

Pangya

does streetpass and its benefits on the ship work even if the other person doesn't own the game?

Streetpass only activates if the other person has it activated for Legend of Legacy as well. It seems like the demo also works. I wouldn't worry about Streetpass, as from what I saw it only reduces your ship time by about an hour or so. It doesn't seem to increase the odds of getting rarer items.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I have this pre-ordered and on its way, but Kotaku's article was pretty damning. Conflicted whether or not I should open it now.

ohlawd

Streetpass only activates if the other person has it activated for Legend of Legacy as well. It seems like the demo also works. I wouldn't worry about Streetpass, as from what I saw it only reduces your ship time by about an hour or so. It doesn't seem to increase the odds of getting rarer items.

alright, thanks

RedBoot

Finally had a chance to sit down with the demo on a long car ride this weekend, and ended up playing it for like four hours. But then, Final Fantasy Legend 2 and SaGa Frontier are two of my favorite games ever, so I'm probably the target audience.

Will be tough to find time (and cash) for it this week with DQH and Yoshi also hitting, but I'll try.

My copy from amazon just arrived! They actually had it shipped in cardboard instead of a bubble mailer so except for a slight bowing of the bottom of the box it's in great condition.
It's bigger than I thought at almost an inch taller than the Shin Megami Tensei 4 box!
Artbook is very nice.

Downloaded the demo and tempted to try it, but I'm worried I'll like it; there's already so many games on my to-buy list that I don't know when I'd get around to buying this.

Vena

Copy arrived... Along with another copy of Chibi-Robo that I didn't buy... Excited to dig back into this.

Rootbeer

Banned
thanks for the OT!

waiting on my best buy copy to arrive... supposed to be here within the next two hours

i'm excited

Top Bottom