• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda : 4 Sword Anniversary Edition back on the US eShop (till Feb 2)

FYI, the GCN game (Four Swords Adventures) was a different, stand-alone title, that did not make use of the GBA cart in any way.

The Anniversary Edition is pretty much a straight port of the GBA game with a couple of bonus areas and a single-player mode.

Yeah, in fact, FSA (the GC/GBA game) was the sequel.

Will SMB DX be free in Europe, though? I didn't see that. That's cool if so, I guess Japanese impressions of the 3DS version haven't been strong but it's still an amazing game, especially with all of the bonus features.

ETA: I see it will be offered free to European gamers who have an NNID registered by 1/31/14: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ee_super_mario_bros_deluxe_download_in_europe
I would take a rerelease of four swords so my friends could get it over the crappy GBC port of a NES game that is SMBDX.

NogibTC

Banned
Aw, they only brought it back to the 3DS eShop but not the DSi shop (which it was also originally on). Would have been great to get this onto my DSi for multiplayer action with friends.

maxcriden

I would take a rerelease of four swords so my friends could get it over the crappy GBC port of a NES game that is SMBDX.

SMBDX is a poor port now, but at the time it was pretty cool and felt fairly advanced for Nintendo handhelds. It also had a ton of features and the entirety of the Lost Levels included. Oh, and You Vs. Boo!

Bring that to Europe too!

Why did they take this game off of the eShop? Why not just leave it up permanently so everyone can enjoy it?
Artificial scarcity in the digital space, just for kicks.
I still can't fathom why. I mean, I'd understand free for a time and a few bucks past that but voluntarily withdrawing a product you own from your digital store... yeah, no.

wrowa

I would love to be able to play Four Swords with my girlfriend. Please, Nintendo make it available in Europe too! The game's no fun alone. :(

As a European, I'm trying to channel all my emotions away from "rage" and "envy" towards more positive feelings like "hope" and "acceptance".

... it's tough, though.

Have they ever said why this game has limited availability? Seems like a strange idea, it's hard to have fun with a multiplayer game when its availability is super limited.
Sadly not and like most things Nintendo it is confusing and contradictory. The game was made to commemorate the Zelda Anniversary seems to the closest you'll get to figuring out. But that would be like if Super Luigi U was free but only available during the Year of Luigi (the boxed version is but you can still get the NSMBU expansion on the eShop, technically the EU hardware bundles with the 2-in-1 disc too).

I was expecting it to come back as a paid download (or be a bonus feature of Link Between worlds) minus the Anniversary subtitle and references to that but then this happened...

SMBDX is a poor port now, but at the time it was pretty cool and felt fairly advanced for Nintendo handhelds. It also had a ton of features and the entirety of the Lost Levels included. Oh, and You Vs. Boo!

And it's not the 1990s unfortunately, so I can't help but not care about value from eras gone by (Especially when you can get the actual game on the 3DS).

I would however greatly like the ability to actually play four swords with my friends. Someone should slap the nimrod that the multiplayer focused game a time limited download in the first place.

zigg

The major differences/additions are:
You can play it alone
There are new levels based on past Zelda titles
Both of these are awful additions.

The good news is that the excellent core game is intact if you can dig up some local friends to play with.

The other good news is that it's free, so you're not out anything even if you just want to try the two new things out. 😊

Aww yeah. I think when this was offered I didn't have a 3DS (or DSi) yet and was really bummed not to get it. Totally getting it now!

PsionBolt

This makes me very happy. I missed it the first time around.

But now I have 1 too many icons to fit on one screen! Noooooo ;_;

Firebrand

I'd take this over SMBDX.

Why aren't they selling GBA games on the eShop already? I really want to play some GBA Fire Emblem.

Ruze789

Cool, thanks for the headsup! This game was one of the first things I looked for in the eshop when I got my 3ds this Christmas, was bummed it wasn't there.

This will fit in nicely with my current theme of 3ds= mainly a Zelda machine, I'm currently playing ALBW with OoT on deck. And probably Link's Awakening after that.

GeeDuhb

I already have this, but cool for people who don't.

Stupid Nintendo though...I would LOVE to play LTTP but I don't have a WiiU. I know they have not released SNES games on the 3DS yet, but I really wish they would make an exception, considering LTBW was a 3DS game...I would buy it there in a heartbeat.

Thank you for the heads up! Grabbed it myself. Don't know much about this game since my 3DS is the first Nintendo handheld I've owned since the original GameBoy, so I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Elija2

Why don't they keep it up permanently? They're being cute with the whole "4 swords, 4 free, 4 days" thing but it's still dumb.

Is the game still fun in single-player though? Are all the multiplayer features available in DS Download Play or does everyone need to have the game to get the full multiplayer experience?

cluderi

Lol, sometimes I wonder if Ninty act this way on purpose. In the UK but I broke out my USA 3DS and downloaded it, back to Rune Factory 4 !

zruben

Banned
Is there a downside to creating a NNID?

the only downside it's that it's attached to the hardware where you created it (you can have the same NNID on a 3DS and a WiiU, but no more than that)

if you change hardware, you can transfer your NNID to your new hardware with a system transfer (you'll need both hardwares and this step will format the original hardware and "clone it" into the new),

if you want to transfer a NNID to a new system without a system transfer, it's a pain in the ass, you need to contact nintendo customer support and follow a series of obnoxious and prehistorical steps.

so yeah, that's the downside.

so how does the multiplayer even work here? me and my buddy started it and I choose a realm? then we just?? get rupees or what? is there no story?

Is there a downside to creating a NNID?
You can not change countries and only the balance in your current countries carries over (currently the 3DS has a separate wallet but shared purchases for each country). All other balances are wiped. Likewise if you link to a Wii U that also has to be on the same country (but on the Wii U to access other countries you can make sub-accounts).

This isn't a problem for a lot of people (but is potentially deal breaking). Especially not in North America as from what I can gather every available country has identical content (in Europe for instance, some games won't be available in English in Germany etc, Australia misses out on loads of games because the OFLC ratings suck).

womp

My six year old, wife and I played the crap out of this when it was originally offered and I made sure to put it on every DS system in the home.

Do not miss out guys. It is a blast over local multiplayer with friends and your kids.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
1621900_645619722165828_1111984411_n.jpg

They posted about this on FB!

womp

It was a free promo a few years back when it was originally released on the DSi. Why is it free now? Who knows, but it's a surprise that it even returned, free or not.

Obviously it is a bonus to go with ALTTP showing up on the Wii U eShop.

Top Bottom