• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT| A Link from the Past

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raybunny

The bolded is great because this game is clearly heavily inspired by that take on Zelda!

Reviews for this are pretty glowing all around, so it may be difficult to point you toward reviews that seem grounded. I would suggest the Easy Allies review on Youtube, since it doesn't shy away from some of the issues with the game.

Jim Sterling doesn't seem overly enamored with it, so his review will probably be pretty grounded when it comes out.

Personally, this may be my favorite open world game that I've played. The world definitely has a ton of space, but it's also packed with puzzles and shrines and I honestly really enjoy the combat too. If you decide to pick it up, I hope you enjoy it!

m

First off, the game has like 45 perfect scores. With those numbers it's hard to go wrong.

Second, you're overestimating the nostalgia factor. People don't like this game because they like Zelda games and it has Zelda game things; people like this game because it brings back the sense of infinite exploration from games like the original Legend of Zelda. You can come into this game without being a fan and fall in love with it because of what it is, not because of the licensing or callbacks to previous games. That type of nostalgia is merely the icing on an already amazing cake.

Third, the world is far from empty. It may look empty, but it's not. In fact, you will encounter rather large things just when you think you're alone, which is part of the fun. You also have dynamic weather which is a beast in its own right.

Just get it.

Thanks folks. Will look into it.

Skeletos311

I just wanted to say that I really love how the game never letter boxes cutscenes or anything and lets you move the camera around during dialogue. I never feel like it's time to sit back and watch. It doesn't feel like 2 different things. It's just so different from what most other games do trying to do something like movies. This game tells a story like only a game can. It's a small thing that makes a big difference for me.

Thud

The hard mode is actually a dog companion DLC
but you only get one and it can easily die if you don't protect it well enough from enemies

Actually you play as the dog and your goal is to survive by letting other people feed you.

Fliesen

Beat both of them legit. I actually had a lot of fun with them and purposely took my time lol

how do you 'beat' it? in the north eastern labyrinth island, i managed to reach the top area of the labyrinth, where i found ~3 chests with decent weapons - but i found neither a 'legitimate' way to ascend to the shrine, nor did i find a way to open the gate the shrine's locked behind.

ubiblu

Some even aren't... You enter, you win. I miss dungeons a bit, but the game is still really nice.

But all of the 'you win' ones require a substantial puzzle to be solved in the main Hyrule landmass, so it's basically the same thing as them being underground.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So... my Zora Spear broke. It's a weak ass weapon but I also hadn't come across another one at all. I didn't need it for anything, right?
I already got the pic

Kinsei

Banned
So... my Zora Spear broke. It's a weak ass weapon but I also hadn't come across another one at all. I didn't need it for anything, right?
I already got the pic

You can use one to recraft a special spear if you end up breaking said special spear.

Dominator

I'm in a shrine right now where I have to rotate the Switch to light 6 fires while water is pouring in angles so I can't go in some spots. Its fucking impossible in handheld mode. Gonna try it tomorrow with my Pro Controller docked. Shits pissing me off lol

Thud

how do you 'beat' it? in the north eastern labyrinth island, i managed to reach the top area of the labyrinth, where i found ~3 chests with decent weapons - but i found neither a 'legitimate' way to ascend to the shrine, nor did i find a way to open the gate the shrine's locked behind.

If you ever played the boardgame Labyrinth, well lets say there are tiles that block off your access. In zelda you can bypass those tiles. So if you look at some of the dead ends you may come across the solution.

Septimius

Ever since I figured to use a certain upgrade to search for things, and finding something creative to search for, I've been just running around finding stuff all over the place. I had no idea how much stuff was hidden all over.

KHlover

Banned
I'm in a shrine right now where I have to rotate the Switch to light 6 fires while water is pouring in angles so I can't go in some spots. Its fucking impossible in handheld mode. Gonna try it tomorrow with my Pro Controller docked. Shits pissing me off lol
It's still an exercise in frustration, but it's doable.

Reminder that you can use Stasis on those water thingies

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yesterday I found out that the bows that shoot triple arrows only use up 1 in your ammo pile. I've been avoiding those for the ammo waste, now I can't wait to try them out.

Oh and man is that snowball bowling minigame a money printing machine. Full costume sets here I come, already bought the sheikah set, looks ace

Fliesen

If you ever played the boardgame Labyrinth, well lets say there are tiles that block off your access. In zelda you can bypass those tiles. So if you look at some of the dead ends you may come across the solution.

i moved that one
magnetic block
if that's what you're talking about. It kinda let me enter the area underneath where the shrine is ... did i miss something?

Crayolan

Gotta love when you walk up to a guy, he asks you to do a quest, and Link's like "I already did it."

Also, seems 3 wheels is the max stamina. That sucks, I wish they'd just let me get a stupid high amount of stamina.
:

mrkgoo

Question about Ruta:
I just defeated waterblight ganon, but in my excitement I didn't check to see if he drops a weapon... is thebheart container the only thing dropped?

tci

Gotta love when you walk up to a guy, he asks you to do a quest, and Link's like "I already did it."

Also, seems 3 wheels is the max stamina. That sucks, I wish they'd just let me get a stupid high amount of stamina.
:
You don't really need more
as gear upgrades on some sets reduces the mana usage.

Thud

i moved that one
magnetic block
if that's what you're talking about. It kinda let me enter the area underneath where the shrine is ... did i miss something?

There are more paths like that yeah, so keep looking.

I tried to figure out the path from the shrine, but it's hidden very carefully.

If you think you're truly out of options, here's a solution:
I recommend the path directly west of the area underneath the shrine

Can I get back the weapons you get
for defeating the Divine Beasts? Because the Zoe's one is awful and it's wasting a slot in my inventory but I can't bring myself to get rid because it was Mipha's

Thud

Can I get back the weapons you get
for defeating the Divine Beasts? Because the Zoe's one is awful and it's wasting a slot in my inventory but I can't bring myself to get rid because it was Mipha's

Yes, you can make them again in the associated villages. They require a base weapon and some extra materials.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'm not a fan of the progression in this game, it feels like I'm just spending 90% of the time just aimlessly wandering around the world. I want something meaningful and substantial to search for, not just more shrines and knick knacks.

KayMote

I love talking to the NPCs - not only because they have their little small routines and personalties that make them feel like they really belong to this world, but also because they have very oft interesting stuff to say about the landscapes around you that in many cases lead you to some sidequests or points of interest!

There's a small lake infront of a shrine that's right next to a stable that Hestu appears next too heading towards the forest. In that lake there is a metallic box and some other solid blocks but I'm not sure what to do with that block at all. Any ideas?

deleted

A Zelda OT reaching OT2? A first on GAF?

I would think, that a single player only game in general has problems to reach an OT2 so fast, if at all. It's also holding pretty steady on Twitch so far, which I wouldn't have thought in the beginning, but it's a great game to just watch.

Does anyone have a good let's play on hand? I'd love to see someone experiencing the game, but the only one I've started yet was horrible. Easily the worst player for this kind of game possible.

Vecks

There's a small lake infront of a shrine that's right next to a stable that Hestu appears next too heading towards the forest. In that lake there is a metallic box and some other solid blocks but I'm not sure what to do with that block at all. Any ideas?

Are you talking about small stone block formations?
So far,all of them I've seen, it's a "spot the difference" thing. There are two formations that are almost the same except for one spot. Just fill in that spot with the metal block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom