• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere that there is someone who I'm supposed to sell two diamonds to or something. Can't remember if it was part of a quest or not. Am I imagining things?

I just found my last fountain after 115 hours playing.

Thank God I had over 40k rupees :D

How do you do this?!?!?! I can't maintain over 1k lol.

RRockman

Banned
You are probably killing fun and pushing yourself towards burnout if you set a goal like that. It is like beating Emerald Weapon and Ruby Weapon before fighting Sephiroth.

Arguably, the 3-start upgrades break the game completely, let alone 4-stars.

Can confirm. Prepping for those guys made Sephiroth a pushover. :p

Forkball

You are probably killing fun and pushing yourself towards burnout if you set a goal like that. It is like beating Emerald Weapon and Ruby Weapon before fighting Sephiroth.

Arguably, the 3-start upgrades break the game completely, let alone 4-stars.

Well I might forego the 4 star thing, but I know what you get for clearing 120 shrines, and I definitely want it before I fight Ganon. I have about 80 shrines so far and I don't feel burned out at all. Honestly I'm getting a bit sad that every shrine I clear is one less to discover. I don't want them to end!

Well I might forego the 4 star thing, but I know what you get for clearing 120 shrines, and I definitely want it before I fight Ganon. I have about 80 shrines so far and I don't feel burned out at all. Honestly I'm getting a bit sad that every shrine I clear is one less to discover. I don't want them to end!

I know what you mean, somehow after every shrine I solve I think "i want more of that" I hope the DLC delivers

bridegur

I hope they can find a way to make the stamina circle less obtrusive in the next game. It really takes you out of the world. I'd be happy even if they just moved it to a corner of the screen.

Takat

118 shrins, two that I've been trying to find all day yesterday. I prefer not to look online.
I do find a lot of Korok seeds on the way, so that's great, 400+.

Eventually I'll give up if I can't find the shrines.

kunonabi

Anyone else find themselves wanting to do as much as possible BEFORE going to fight Ganon?

I'm at 60 shrines and four memories. I will not touch Hyrule Castle until I've sufficiently explored every province and got at least 100 shrines and all memories.

I'll be over-powered by the time I get to him but I'm ok with that. I like dominating final bosses. I did damn near every single side-quest in Xenoblade Chronicles and just ran right through the final battle - l loved it.

I did everything possible aside from the korok seeds and upgrading all the armor. I had planned to do the seeds first but my opinion had turned on the game and I was hoping hyrule castle would help me fall in love with it again. It ended up souring me on it even more. I'm working on the korok seeds now and am up to 300. Still undecided about upgrading all the armor though.

Thud

Late to the party. I have a few questions.

Should i keep rocks, diamonds, gems etc? Or just sell everything?

I tamed a horse, i think, but i lost it somewhere. Whistling does nothing. How can i keep my horse?

You can sell a lot of ambers, opals and even rubies. I would reccomend keeping a few of each and saving your diamonds until you have a good way in getting more.

Loci

To the people who keep complaining about "constant" rain in this game.
Why don't you check the weather which is shown at all times during the game and just light up a campfire before it starts raining and skip the rainy phases. It even shows you how far you have to skip.
Use the goddamn game mechanics.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think I'm starting to reach burnout. I'm close to my last dungeon, I have like 20 hearts, and I'm geared enough to feel comfortable even in difficult fights. Not really interested in finding more shrines anymore. The puzzles are starting to look obvious because I've done so many by now.

I kinda like the
electricity shrines though. I tried dropping a sword and found that it conducts electricity, which helps bypass those "complete the circuit"
puzzles.

I took a poke into Hyrule Castle to do one of the sidequests, and was blown away at
how big the place is and the fucking awesome music
. I picked up a few things and then left without exploring too much, because I didn't want to ruin it for myself by doing too much before really going in to finish the game.

I think I'll go do the last dungeon and then go back to raid Hyrule Castle for real.

Thud

I did everything possible aside from the korok seeds and upgrading all the armor. I had planned to do the seeds first but my opinion had turned on the game and I was hoping hyrule castle would help me fall in love with it again. It ended up souring me on it even more. I'm working on the korok seeds now and am up to 300. Still undecided about upgrading all the armor though.

Exploring Hyrule Castle is one of the highlights of this game. You're missing out if you walk straight to the boss.

En-ou

I love how the master sword glows when guardians are around.

Shit is straight out of tolkien lore with that Sting similarity.

It's great.

and the damage goes up from
30 to 60

Why don't you check the weather which is shown at all times during the game and just light up a campfire before it starts raining and skip the rainy phases. It even shows you how far you have to skip.

cause scrub players calling the game bad. playing with a brain is too hard.

I feel like I am SUPER late to starting this game but this weekend i'll finally start playing it. are there any recommended tips for starting out and to keep some things in mind?

Thud

It's not shown on the map or menu like the temperature meter while playing in pro mode.

DrArchon

That's assuming you aren't playing with the Pro HUD. If you do, the rain will catch you completely off guard.

In that case though, you can still find a little shelter to make a fire and sit through it, so it's not that much of an issue.

Boem

Kill every wolf you find, cook 5 prime meats at a time, score 210 rupees per meat skewer. Without even trying I clear 4 or 5k a run.

There's an even easier way to make money with meat - there's a guy who buys raw gourmet meat for 100 rupees a piece at one of the stables. So instead of earning 210 for 5 pieces you earn 500, and you don't even have to cook. There are hunting grounds nearby who make that a very easy way of making some money.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
In my adventuring for shrines and towers I stumbled upon
Rito
village, guess that'll be my second divine beast then. Nice
cold resistance
set there also.

Little Mons†er;232849320 said:
I feel like I am SUPER late to starting this game but this weekend i'll finally start playing it. are there any recommended tips for starting out and to keep some things in mind?

Try to read as little about BOTW as possible. The best parts are discovering things for yourself.

If you have questions about certain mechanics (e.g. how to cook), then I think you're okay there. But as far as where to go and what to do, find it out on your own! That's my 2 cents.

How do you do this?!?!?! I can't maintain over 1k lol.

Sell your gems. I guess keep diamonds and some Luminous Stones, but other than that, sell them all. The items you make with them are decidedly inferior than armor that serves the same functions only better.

The only good jewelry is the diamond one and there is one novelty armor set that uses Luminous Stones. But sell the others.

I haven't had less than 10K Rupees since... I don't even know. I don't even remember the last time.

I've made it my goal to deliver the final blow on Ganon while naked and using the first tree branch acquired outside of the original resurrection chamber. If the tree branch breaks I will use a mop instead.

I called him out for being wrong.

If anything Pro mode enhanced my experience.

Yup, Pro Mode is much more fun for me as well.
I regret that I only went with pro mode after finishing the main quest, like 40-50 hours in.

I think this game would be amazing from the start with Pro Mode and no using the quest checklists. Just letting the NPCs and sign posts tell you everything and for you to personally make your own notes to remember where things are.

When I replay it I will definitely do this and will do it with the DLC.

vareon

I need a hint about "The Eighth Heroine" quest in Gerudo. Not the location itself, but the quest description says there's someone in Gerudo who knows about the seven heroines legend.

But there's only one person and she kept saying about
the shrine in seven heroine statues, which I completed

Is she supposed to be person? I just want to make sure before heading on my own (which is fine, but I just want to meet that person).

rhandino

Banned
Spent the whole weekend exploring the Hebra region and last night did the Divine Beast Vah Medoh quest and to whoever said that it was the most bland region and town I will have him in my prayers because the whole thing was AMAZING!

1) The snowy mountain part is incredible eerie and has a great atmosphere when there is low visibility and you are being attacked withotu knowing exactly who is attacking you o_o

2) The whole thing is so full of secrets and shrines that are hidden underground... loved that to access 2 of them you have to roll a snowball towards a door to open it, the first time it was a little chamber with a shrine but the other one was this massive cave in which the last giant fossil I needed was resting along with another shrine and a korok throw in there.

3) There is a place called the Dragon Bone Mire or something and I got freaked up about this being the resting place of the dragon from Wind Waker... I mean, it's just so close to Rito Village to be anything but.

4) Vah Medoh quest was shorter than the other but it compensated by having the 2nd best companion (Teba is really cool) and the sense of scale and wonder during the infiltration mission its so good

5) THAT MUSIC!!!!

6) THAT BOSS FIGHT!!!

Its by far my favorite Divine Beast just for the sheer spectacle of it all.

I am at 115 shrines completed with 2 Shrine quests pending to be solved and I know there is a shrine near the Stable of Lake Floria on the Faron region that I still cannot find so basically I still have 2 shrines that I don't know and since I haven't used a guide to get the others and since the Shrine Sensor doesn't detect the ones hidden behind a quest... yeah.

I need a hint about "The Eighth Heroine" quest in Gerudo. Not the location itself, but the quest description says there's someone in Gerudo who knows about the seven heroines legend.

But there's only one person and she kept saying about
the shrine in seven heroine statues, which I completed

Is she supposed to be person? I just want to make sure before heading on my own (which is fine, but I just want to meet that person).

No. Talk to guards.

Chinbo37

I love the rain though. Its one of my favorite parts of the game when it starts raining. I loved it in Wind Waker too.

I am pretty good with climbing in the rain as well.

Try to read as little about BOTW as possible. The best parts are discovering things for yourself.

If you have questions about certain mechanics (e.g. how to cook), then I think you're okay there. But as far as where to go and what to do, find it out on your own! That's my 2 cents.

yeah it was so difficult trying to not read as much into it lol

will just freestyle it thanks

There's an even easier way to make money with meat - there's a guy who buys raw gourmet meat for 100 rupees a piece at one of the stables. So instead of earning 210 for 5 pieces you earn 500, and you don't even have to cook. There are hunting grounds nearby who make that a very easy way of making some money.
Gourmet Meat and Prime Meat are different. Gourmet is more expensive. If you cook 5 Gourmet together into a skewer, you can sell it for 490 gold. So it's barely a difference to sell it directly to the specific guy.

Thud

Try out the pro mode hud in the system options before leaving the great plateau. If you don't like it you can switch back anytime.

Whatever your preferences, just go out and explore to your hearts content.

Grampasso

It's in your profile.

Mine shows over 125 hours played.
Oh lol thanks, now I feel stupid. I was desperately searching for it in the savegame but I could only saw the time, didn't came to me that it could have been in the Switch Home screen 8) I'm curious to check it when I'm back home from work

Boem

I regret that I only went with pro mode after finishing the main quest, like 40-50 hours in.

I think this game would be amazing from the start with Pro Mode and no using the quest checklists. Just letting the NPCs and sign posts tell you everything and for you to personally make your own notes to remember where things are.

When I replay it I will definitely do this and will do it with the DLC.

Yeah, it's very fun to just follow the directions an NPC gives you. The world is designed to allow for this playstyle, just by looking at the environment you'll be able to find you way around. I'd rather look around the world than at a map.

And sure, I've gotten lost more than once, but that's fun as well. Forces you to find a high point, look around again and see if you can get your bearings that way. Haven't had this much fun getting lost in a long time.

I only consult the map (in the pause menu, never the minimap) when I'm pretty much done in an area and I want to find some specific areas I missed, or need specifically for a sidequest. And even then, I just use it to try to figure out a route (follow that river, cross that mountain, should be on the other side, etc) and try to find my goal that way. Like using a real life paper map instead of a gps.

Only go for Heart Containers instead of Stamina Increases until you at least got a set of Level 3 Armor. You can also trade them back and forth later so don't worry about screwing up anything.

The idea of pro mode sounds really cool.

The actual act of trying to play this game to completion in Pro Mode as an adult with a full-time job and interests outside of gaming doesn't sound as cool.

Business

Try to think as much out of the box as you can. When facing a problem, think logically about what you have in hand and what could work, and no matter how crazy, chances are it actually works. That's the beauty of this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom