• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished the main story with a friend over the weekend, ended at around sixty hours. Absolutely amazing game. Will definitely try to get all the shrines and finish up side quests but I'm not gonna go crazy and 100% this game. Too much stuff to play for that.

I just hit 100 Shrines. I just can't seem to find the rest without looking them up lol

also youtube is such a mess my Zelda video which is just gameplay no talking got claimed by iJustine, when I went through the trouble of joining Nintendo's Creators Program
C77OjxQV4AIdL6G.jpg

not that I have a fanbase or anything I just upload to rewatch my own memories

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Well just found soemthing i loathe more than the motion control shrines...

Tempered Power shrine. Specifically for the last chest (I could have completed the actual shrine ages ago).

And the more I fail the more I HAVE to do it or all this time was literally a waste.

Fuck me.

Does anybody expect mario odyssey to exceed BoTW?

I would say the EAD Tokyo has been a tad better with their games since Galaxy (Galaxy 2, galaxy, 3D Land, 3D World, Toad Treasure Tracker) than the Zelda team (TP, Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass, spirit Tracks, a link between worlds)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I just hit 100 Shrines. I just can't seem to find the rest without looking them up lol

also youtube is such a mess my Zelda video which is just gameplay no talking got claimed by iJustine, when I went through the trouble of joining Nintendo's Creators Program

ijustine oh boy

I would say the EAD Tokyo has been a tad better with their games since Galaxy (Galaxy 2, galaxy, 3D Land, 3D World, Toad Treasure Tracker) than the Zelda team (TP, Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass, spirit Tracks, a link between worlds)

It's absolutely going to exceed BotW for a lot of Nintendo fans. I don't think it will resonate with critics in the same way though.

Two of my top three games are Zelda titles, but Mario is my overall #1 franchise, so I won't be surprised if I like Odyssey more than BotW.

Drewfonse

This game is best when you're following the story, doing the 'dungeons' and moving to a clearly defined area for a certain reason.

Basically, I think I'm totally over the whole open world design thing.

Is it feasible to play this way? Serious question. You can basically skip a lot of the content and still be OK for end game? I haven't started playing this yet.

I'm not asking if it's preferable.

Boney

Banned
So seems the Rito Ancient Beast is probably the easiest/first to go to? Much worse than the Zora stuff

Is it feasible to play this way? Serious question. You can basically skip a lot of the content and still be OK for end game? I haven't started playing this yet.

You can literally go straight to Ganon after clearing the Plateau. Think there might be extra ending for getting the memories and beasts but that's more of a hunch.

How is iJustine trying to claim your content? Dunno how that side of YouTube works.

Neoweee

This game is best when you're following the story, doing the 'dungeons' and moving to a clearly defined area for a certain reason.

Basically, I think I'm totally over the whole open world design thing.

That's what is best about the game. Without any real gating, people can focus on the parts they want to focus on, and finish the game whenever they want.

I think that will lead to an extraordinarily low "bounce" rate.

Neoweee

Is it possible to find an in game map that shows all the shrine locations?

I've found 82 Shrines and finished the game but want to get the rest. I can always look one up online I guess.

Don't look up Shrine locations that early. A bunch of the "Shrine Quests" and discovery are easily among people's highlights.

Drewfonse

So seems the Rito Ancient Beast is probably the easiest/first to go to? Much worse than the Zora stuff

You can literally go straight to Ganon after clearing the Plateau. Think there might be extra ending for getting the memories and beasts but that's more of a hunch.

Wow. I assume it's extremely hard to do that. Whats the difference between a beginning Link and an 80 hr Link? Hearts?

Thud

It will be the most polished switch game, I have no doubt about that.

eoa-swam

I just went through the videos (thumbnails) which iJustine has uploaded to Youtube, and I don't see any which look to have Zelda footage?. How the hell has yours been flagged?.

She has 5 videos in a playlist called 'Gaming' and no Zelda in there. The majority of her videos are tech/lifestyle bullshit.

Zedark

Damn, on the way home in the bus I just had a breathtaking battle with a blue Lynel (blue with white manes). The weather was stormy, and between the flashes I saw the Lynel in the distance. I approached it, while wielding a tri-forked Lizal boomerang, and invited it to attack me. It did, and from start to finish, I chained one dodge and flurry after another, pausing only twice in between to dodge the Lynel's fire breath attack. At the end, when I entered the final flurry I needed to take down the Lynel, I realised that my blade had been flashing, signalling a thunder strike was imminent. And indeed, the moment I was about to land the last strike, I was struck by lightning: my Lizal boomerang happened to break at the same time, so there was a massive amount of sparkles on the screen. The Lynel was dead, and I
survived thanks to Mipha's Grace
! An absolutely thrilling fight, it really reiterated why this game is so fucking unbelievably good: anything can happen in a battle, and that makes that fighting is always fun and varied.

Futureman

Just got my Switch yesterday. Played BotW for about 3 hours and I'm loving it so far. 2 Shrines down, 2 more so I can get off the Plateau. I just learned about cooking so will venture to the snowy area after work for some more Shrines.

I have not played the past two 3D Zeldas and I'm really liking the combat so far. Fighting
Stone Talus
last night was really cool and reminded me of Shadow of the Colossus. Watching some of the trailers, it feels like the game's combat is a mix of Colossus/Dark Souls. I really liked the Souls games I played but didn't really like the dark/moody world, I much prefer a world like BotW to explore.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Fuck this shrine

Edit: lol finally got it, when I completely botched it bt somehow the ball bounced off something and landed near the hole and then very slowly rolled in. Just to put extra emphasis on the fact that its completely random. Stupid thing :(

Why are people complaining? That area is just 2 rooms, it's nothing like Gerudo fortress or Pirate fortress, those were long and maze like.

Cause people also didn't realize you can stasis your way in. Its way easier segment then people realize. People suddenly forget you still got all the BOTW mehcanics available in a stealth segment

Is it possible to find an in game map that shows all the shrine locations?

I've found 82 Shrines and finished the game but want to get the rest. I can always look one up online I guess.

I wish you could set the sheikah sensor to a long range mode, or something. I've just been looking at a shitty .jpg of a map with all shrines discovered so I can head in the general direction of the shrines. I'd be searching forever otherwise.

tkscz

Nintendo has monetized most of my Zelda videos (which I upload just for friends to watch and not really for a wide audience). If I joined their creator's program, can I turn monetizing off the videos? I don't want any ads on it and don't want to monetize the videos as the most amount of views it's going to get is about 10.

vypek

Fuck this shrine

Edit: lol finally got it, when I completely botched it bt somehow the ball bounced off something and landed near the hole and then very slowly rolled in. Just to put extra emphasis on the fact that its completely random. Stupid thing :(

Tempered power? I left the final chest cause I was getting annoyed and looked it up later that it seems that with certain positioning you can
do 5.5 hits on it to get it in. 5 heavy swings with a two handed weapon and one swing with a single handed weapon

llehuty

Honestly, people's difficulty with this mission makes no sense to me at all. People have complained about it nonstop and, when I got there, it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. There are only, what, five guys to sneak by? Really? People couldn't outsmart five sentries, two of which don't even move? I didn't sneakstrike anybody either, but it's exceedingly easy to just climb over everyone and skip along your merry way.

I spent some time after I completed the mission (in about a minute and thirty seconds) and I couldn't figure it out what exactly is giving people trouble. And EVEN IF you were having trouble, you can use the Sheikah Suit or Revali's Gale or bananas to completely trivialize the encounter.

I normally have a lot of love for people having a hard time in certain sequences of games. I'm the guy who played Bloodborne for 15 hours and didn't know how to dodge. Even in this game, I had to wait for the game to insultingly explain to me how to beat the fire boss. I totally get how people's expectations change how they see challenges and not everybody has the same skill set when it comes to video games. But this sequence? I don't know how they could have made an easier sneaking sequence than this. I cannot fathom how anybody is having a hard time completing it. And if they are, I don't know how it's taking them more than two or three brisk tries.

There are so many frustrating or challenging moments in this game, but it feels like this is the thing I heard the most about and I struggle immensely to see it from that perspective.

Perhaps I've lost all sense of compassion towards my fellow human. Perhaps I should return to the mountains and live alone. Perhaps my soul is dead.
I cosign all of this, after all the comments I saw in this thread, I was expecting some really annoying stealth section, but it was really short and well designed. No clue what's the real problem with it. You can even climb the walls, which simplifies things (maybe a bit too much).

I was thinking how zelda is such an open game and nintendo really want to sell their online service.

Is it that strange to think that nintendo might make a overhaul dlc that implements a online mp mode where you can play as a self made persona and venture with max 4 persons around the world of breath of the wild.

I really believe this game has so much options left. They could easily add more shrines, caves and deep water exploring into this game.
Online would never work in that format, just see how much the Switch can struggle with only one player and it's interactions, imagine the physics mess it would trigger having multiple players interacting with the environment.

I could see a multiplayer mode or area out of the open world that could work, but I don't see Nintendo adding this in this entry.

How many great fairies are there in the game? I've played around 80-90 hours, uncovered the whole map
but only found three so far.

This is simply one of the best and most rewarding games I've ever played. The sense of discovery and adventure is something unique and I can still loose hours exploring even after playing for three weeks.

Twookie

How many great fairies are there in the game? I've played around 80-90 hours, uncovered the whole map

This is simply one of the best and most rewarding games I've ever played. The sense of discovery and adventure is something unique and I can still loose hours exploring even after playing for three weeks.

CrazyHorse

but the last one costs $$$$$

What area do you guys think has been the least interesting/developed so far? I thought the Hebra area has been relatively barren compared to most other regions, especially compared to Faron. I have yet to explore the whole thing though, so I could be wrong.

vareon

What area do you guys think has been the least interesting/developed so far? I thought the Hebra area has been relatively barren compared to most other regions, especially compared to Faron. I have yet to explore the whole thing though, so I could be wrong.

Hedra had amazing atmosphere, it feels like I'm really lost in the mountains. Finding a hidden shrine there was my best gaming moment in years.

kadotsu

Banned
So after finishing up the game I feel like the survival/crafting/shrine model should become the standard and replace the heartpiece/skulltula paradigm of the 3D Zeldas for the next titles. I still think the dungeons, including bosses, are trash compared to the rest of the game.
I hope that future titles will have more expansive dungeons (think MM) with a dungeon item. Give the items a QoL purpose like faster movement and a gating component. The new overworld design lends itself to key items in dungeons more since you will revisit locations more often anyways to farm materials. There is a better balance somewhere between the reverse Metroid and regular Metroid to be found in this design.
I also hope the next titles will provide a more integrated story. The fragmented history pieces were nice once but I can see it becoming annoying very fast. I will take some hard gating to get more character interaction and more fulfilling questlines into the next games.

bumpkin

I just cracked 100 last night too! *high five*

I ended up turning to a guide as well once I hit the mid-70's. I already beat Ganon when I hit the mid 60's, but I hadn't yet found all of the memories. I'm curious if the ending will change, so I plan to kick his ass again after I've found all of the Shrines (I already rounded up the memories).

I feel like if you didn't do the side stuff you'd be underpowered.

I do every third or so shrine I see and still feel weak. I just don't want the tedium of stopping every 5 minutes to do one.

My first reaction is the entire Rito questline. It's so short and lacks so much story. Very, very disappointing.

Otherwise, I actually think the Death Mountain terrain is really empty and lacking a lot to find. It's an awful lot of open map that's quite difficult to traverse with precious little to actually discover. I was disappointed in the mountain itself.

AGoodODST

I would say 82 is still a bit early to look up stuff, you still have some cool moments ahead. I had to look after 110 (around 112), because the last ones where inside mountains behind bombable walls etc.

EDIT: you could use this:

Yeah, I don't really want to spoil any stuff. There has been some really good ones, even just the finding of them.

That link seems pretty great though.

I wish you could set the sheikah sensor to a long range mode, or something. I've just been looking at a shitty .jpg of a map with all shrines discovered so I can head in the general direction of the shrines. I'd be searching forever otherwise.

I don't even think mine reacts to Shrines. Only seems to point out big hearty radishes ever since I done that quest at the tech lab. No idea how to change it.

Wow the desert Gerudo area is gorgeous. So many beautiful ares in this game. Behind Death Mountain there is a spot with thermal waters with a greenish shade looks so good.

Rhaknar

Cool looked up where to get the
climbing bandana
(my missing piece) and im glad I did because I would never have found it, its in a
shrine
where I already was and didnt find it and probably would never return there.

Cool looked up where to get the
climbing bandana
(my missing piece) and im glad I did because I would never have found it, its in a
shrine
where I already was and didnt find it and probably would never return there.

I don't leave shrines ever until the chest icon appears on the map. This is precisely why. Very often, that last chest ends up having something very precious in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom