• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

jariw

For cooking without pot I read this:
Drop raw foods on a fire, they catch fire and cook, the fire goes out and they are darker, if they are still touching the fire tho, they catch fire agai and if you do't recollect them before they overcook they dissappear, presumably burned to ash.
I haven't tried yet since I'm at work.

If you want to cook raw food just to increase the "heart value", it's easiest to do it
at the volcano by the gorons, where you can put the raw food directly on the ground.

For cooking without pot I read this:
Drop raw foods on a fire, they catch fire and cook, the fire goes out and they are darker, if they are still touching the fire tho, they catch fire agai and if you do't recollect them before they overcook they dissappear, presumably burned to ash.
I haven't tried yet since I'm at work.

For cleaning rusty weapons:
http://ca.ign.com/videos/2017/03/21...wild-using-an-octorok-to-clean-rusted-weapons

Can someone tell me how Link isn't burning in the above video? Some type of armor or elixir?

Oh okay I knew that already. I thought maybe there was full fledged cooking (mixture of ingredients and such) going on.

Haven't seen the video, but I assume it's either a Fireproof Elixir (Fireproof lizard + Monster Parts) or it's the Fireproof Armor gotten in Goron City (Warning though it's EXPENSIVE! Check the South Mine at night for a much better solution I discovered too late.

certain Octoroks.

There's a place on death mountain that basically tutorializes it through environmental cues.

Interesting, I'll head back there and check it out!

Am I the only one that hates cooking? There's so many damn ingredients and it takes forever. Cool concept but I could do without it.

As I said a while back, I only wish there was a way to keep track of recipes instead of relying on memory (or screenshots). Even then though, I like how flexible and generous it is with ingredients.

N° 2048

Haven't seen the video, but I assume it's either a Fireproof Elixir (Fireproof lizard + Monster Parts) or it's the Fireproof Armor gotten in Goron City (Warning though it's EXPENSIVE! Check the South Mine at night for a much better solution I discovered too late.

Thanks so much!

N° 2048

I love cooking, I love when the sun is setting and I go to a stable and cook at night. SO. DAMN. COZY.
I love RPing in open world games.

Chinbo37

So do without it.

I've done the last 2 divine beasts and tons of shrines the last week and I haven't cooked at all.

If I ever get low health I eat a bunch of raw meat I got from killing wolves. I have over 150 of this kind of meat (forget the name now).

Recipes are kind of useless. If you want a status upgrade just cook 4 or 5 of the same ingredient that gives that status. For health just cook individual radishes or truffles that will give you a full refill plus some yellow hearts.

mrkgoo

Am I the only one that hates cooking? There's so many damn ingredients and it takes forever. Cool concept but I could do without it.

I think part of the point is to experiment to find the right combinations that suit your play style.

For example hate the cooking?
There's a combo that requires only 2 pieces and it fully restores your life and adds more temporarily. There are combos that you can sell for hundreds of rupees. And of course the very basic stats boosting combinations.
it's kand me of up to you how deep you want to go in the cooking side. But yeah I do see it as being a tedious thing.

I was in the trials and had to stand over a pot and cook 60 times lol.

watershed

Banned

Cooking is great but there should be a re-cook feature for recipes and a recipe book. But I genuinely like the cooking system and the animation and music. I hope the next Zelda expands the cooking system with more recipes and ingredients while also offering quick-cook or batch cook options.

N° 2048

lol I thought you had to take pics of recipes like the posters in the stables in order to store them. I took the pic and was hoping it would unlock a recipe menu and nope.

So I just downloaded some app called Chef of The Wild and they are all there.

RedCoyote

Just noticed that
the initial path in the Lost Woods
is the same as it is in the original NES game. Also earlier, noticed that the symbol on the top of the paraglider is also on
the platform where Link remembers Revali

Wollan

Just completed divine beast 'Vah Medoh',
the flying one situated above Rito
, and as my second one it was a complete pushover compared to 'Vah Naboris' in
Gerudo.

Just spamming it with arrows and very light dodging was all needed to take it down. An encounter not really boss fight worthy.
Puzzles was also very easy compared to the borderline trial & error of the previous one. I literately did the whole thing while enjoying my morning coffee prior to work just now.

Game exploration continues to be wonderful.

Started Master Mode because I couldn't resist an official Hard difficulty and holy sweet fuck it does not mess around- at least in tha Plateu area. Can't imagine what's in store.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Started Master Mode because I couldn't resist an official Hard difficulty and holy sweet fuck it does not mess around- at least in tha Plateu area. Can't imagine what's in store.
All I have to say is thank fucking god I have Amiibo to get a bunch of good weapons right from the start.

jariw

According to the Korok mask, there's a korok very close to the Lakeside Stable. Have search a loooong time for that one. Could anyone give any vague hints on where it is, or what type of korok puzzle I should look for?

EDIT: Found it at last!

I've not really been keeping up with this game, as to avoid spoilers, but I was wondering how the Wii U version is nowadays?

I've been holding off getting it, but the only benefit for getting it in the Switch whenever I get one would be the increased resolution when docked, and possibly improved performance. I probably wouldn't be playing it in the handheld mode, so portability isn't a factor in why I should or shouldn't but the Wii U version.

I'm fine with waiting until I get a Switch to play it if the performance when docked is noticeably better, but I'm kinda itching to play it lol.

I've not really been keeping up with this game, as to avoid spoilers, but I was wondering how the Wii U version is nowadays?

I've been holding off getting it, but the only benefit for getting it in the Switch whenever I get one would be the increased resolution when docked, and possibly improved performance. I probably wouldn't be playing it in the handheld mode, so portability isn't a factor in why I should or shouldn't but the Wii U version.

I'm fine with waiting until I get a Switch to play it if the performance when docked is noticeably better, but I'm kinda itching to play it lol.

I believe the performance on the Switch when docked is noticeably better than Wii U. It's pretty much a smooth 30fps 99% of the time with the patches. Framerate stutters only a couple/few of locations. Whereas on Wii U I believe it dips into the 20s fps and possibly below a lot more often. I could be wrong but that's the impression I got from that Digital Foundry video that came out after the performance patch was released.

I believe the performance on the Switch when docked is noticeably better than Wii U. It's pretty much a smooth 30fps 99% of the time with the patches. Framerate stutters only a couple/few of locations. Whereas on Wii U I believe it dips into the 20s fps and possibly below a lot more often. I could be wrong but that's the impression I got from that Digital Foundry video that came out after the performance patch was released.

Thanks for the reply.
I might wait for the Switch version then. I mean, I did play through Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen on the PS3, and the performance problems didn't bother me, but that was my only option to play it. If I can play a better version, I suppose I may as well.

NeoBob688

I just got a switch. I just started this game. Handheld mode is perfect, but docked mode on the TV is not. I notice consistent frame pacing and/or sub 30 FPS issues pretty much consistently on the great plateau and even inside the first dungeon. Is this normal? Is there a workaround?

AEREC

I just got a switch. I just started this game. Handheld mode is perfect, but docked mode on the TV is not. I notice consistent frame pacing and/or sub 30 FPS issues pretty much consistently on the great plateau and even inside the first dungeon. Is this normal? Is there a workaround?

It's normal unfortunately. It has gotten better with patches but it's still not ideal.

jariw

Have you patched it to the latest version? The great plateau was pretty bad in the initial release, much better in the updates. Still not perfect, though.

I've only played the Wii U version and it's super fine, super gorgeous. Runs smoothly and the last patch even removed the last glaring fault of momentarily freezing while killing a certain enemy. I don't believe it's crashed once, ever.

I honestly don't care about graphics though so there's that caveat. Pixel hunters and shader counters actively annoy me tbh, but maybe that's growing up with an NES for you.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Finally found myself a Switch and will be diving into this later today. What can I expect?
"I'm just gonna go see what's over there then I'm done for the night."

three hours later

"Ok I'm serious this time, just gonna check over there then I'm really done."

NeoBob688

Have you patched it to the latest version? The great plateau was pretty bad in the initial release, much better in the updates. Still not perfect, though.

Yes, patched up. Oh well. I will play portable for now. Maybe it gets better out of the plateau.

Twookie

just finished the Trial of the Sword, was pretty hype

it honestly got pretty easy if you actually took the time to forage supplies and weapons, but it was a nice challenge nonetheless.

now Master mode remains - although I should probably clear some of my backlog first

also everytime I come back to this game - I wander around the world just to look at the world. The artstyle and visual identity is just so goddamn strong. Gorgeous game.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I have 5 hearts containers, is that fine to start doing divine beasts or will I get my ass kicked?

Gerudo beast might give you some difficulties if this is your first rodeo. Others should be fine.

RomanceDawn

I have not completed a Zelda title 100% since Link's Awakening. I just never felt compelled enough to play after beating the final boss. With Botw that has finally changed and I have all Side/Shrine/Story quests done, 120 Shrines, and 900 Korok seeds... I've got over 335 hours logged in and that's even with 2 young kids and my own small business. I can't believe I put that much time in a single player game.

Now with all that said I am at 99.75% so someone please tell me what is it that I need to find for that full 100% ?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Holy shit, Wolf Link is amazing! Happened to run into the amiibo today at a Gamestop and I'm very happy I got it. I like how he
Helps you find your Shiekah Sensor targets, hunts for you, and eats food on the ground to heal himself
. Just so cool.

I have not completed a Zelda title 100% since Link's Awakening. I just never felt compelled enough to play after beating the final boss. With Botw that has finally changed and I have all Side/Shrine/Story quests done, 120 Shrines, and 900 Korok seeds... I've got over 335 hours logged in and that's even with 2 young kids and my own small business. I can't believe I put that much time in a single player game.

Now with all that said I am at 99.75% so someone please tell me what is it that I need to find for that full 100% ?

I think you missed a location on the map that you never visited. I believe that's the only thing that % score tracks.

My friend had a similar situation to yours, he did everything and still wasn't at 100%. He thought it was Treasure Chests he was missing, so he spent a dozen hours finding all the chests all over the world, but eventually realized it wasn't that either... Turned out he completely missed a stable even after 250 hours of play. It was South Akkala stable in his case. He said he passed and flew by it hundreds of times but hadn't entered it once without realizing it.

Has anyone tried their Toon Link or Smash Bro's Link Amiibos since the last patch? I keep getting outfit pieces. No special arrows or weapons. I even tested it by save scuming and still just endless outfit pieces.

TheMoon

Has anyone tried their Toon Link or Smash Bro's Link Amiibos since the last patch? I keep getting outfit pieces. No special arrows or weapons. I even tested it by save scuming and still just endless outfit pieces.

Can we switch? I keep getting nothing but fancy arrows -.-

from all of them! ...well last night I finally got fierce deity pants and trousers of the sky. after trying every day.

bibs

After taking a few weeks off from the game after beating all 15 main quests as well as all 120 shrines, I've been working on beating the sidequests. I did a fair amount of them while working through the story such as the town building one but now I'm working through the small ones. It's actually quite fun though obviously not as great as looking for shrines

Fliesen

I think you missed a location on the map that you never visited. I believe that's the only thing that % score tracks.

My friend had a similar situation to yours, he did everything and still wasn't at 100%. He thought it was Treasure Chests he was missing, so he spent a dozen hours finding all the chests all over the world, but eventually realized it wasn't that either... Turned out he completely missed a stable even after 250 hours of play. It was South Akkala stable in his case. He said he passed and flew by it hundreds of times but hadn't entered it once without realizing it.

yes, map completion percentage is about visiting locations on the map so they're named (i think it's all the locations that are named on the 2nd zoomlevel of the map.
(source, i 100%ed the game)

just finished the Trial of the Sword, was pretty hype

it honestly got pretty easy if you actually took the time to forage supplies and weapons, but it was a nice challenge nonetheless.

now Master mode remains - although I should probably clear some of my backlog first

also everytime I come back to this game - I wander around the world just to look at the world. The artstyle and visual identity is just so goddamn strong. Gorgeous game.

I've only finished the first trial so far. How conservative do i need to be about weapon durability? - the 2nd trial has plenty of 'wind', which makes killing enemies with bombs only a huge hassle.

I don't wanna end up hitting my head against a wall only to finish the trial with an inventory of 9 weapons...

jariw

I've only finished the first trial so far. How conservative do i need to be about weapon durability? - the 2nd trial has plenty of 'wind', which makes killing enemies with bombs only a huge hassle.

Dive down to an enemy, place a squared bomb close to the enemy, jump up with the hang glider, detonate. But you get enough arrows to solve it without bombs as well.

SlickVic

I've only played the Wii U version and it's super fine, super gorgeous. Runs smoothly and the last patch even removed the last glaring fault of momentarily freezing while killing a certain enemy. I don't believe it's crashed once, ever.

I honestly don't care about graphics though so there's that caveat. Pixel hunters and shader counters actively annoy me tbh, but maybe that's growing up with an NES for you.

Sounds good. I've been going back and forth with getting a Switch to play this for the more "definitive" experience, but I picked up the Wii U version on sale a couple months ago and I think I'm just going to go ahead and play the version for the system I already own. As long as I can get solid performance I think I can be happy with that (sounds like things have gotten a bit better with more recent patches).

Top Bottom