• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

GAF, I just bought Wind Waker and I gotta decide whether to start playing it or return it. Breath of the Wild was the first Zelda I completed, it was fantastic, just finished it and wanting to play another Zelda game. I really didn't like Skyward Sword and I've wanted to give Twilight Princess another try as I really like the style but it's out of print everywhere. I don't like Windwaker's art direction but I'm wondering if it's still a game worth playing in 2017.

I also own Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time which I still have to get into.

I think looking to scratch that BotW itch with any previous Zelda is a recipe for disappointment.

Zelda-newbies need to learn that previous games in the series are not like Breath of the Wild. This seems like a common misconceptions they have.

I like Wind Waker, but if you dislike the art style as you say, then you're more likely to not enjoy playing the game, so why go there?

Davide

I think looking to scratch that BotW itch with any previous Zelda is a recipe for disappointment.

Zelda-newbies need to learn that previous games in the series are not like Breath of the Wild. This seems like a common misconceptions they have.

I like Wind Waker, but if you dislike the art style as you say, then you're more likely to not enjoy playing the game, so why go there?

Well not really a Zelda newbie, I tried Twilight Princess nine years ago and Skyward Sword five years ago, Breath of the Wild was just the first one that really clicked with me when I thought I wanted a dark serious Zelda game. I'm still going to put in a good effort into playing an older game.

DonShula

GAF, I just bought Wind Waker and I gotta decide whether to start playing it or return it. Breath of the Wild was the first Zelda I completed, it was fantastic, just finished it and wanting to play another Zelda game. I really didn't like Skyward Sword and I've wanted to give Twilight Princess another try as I really like the style but it's out of print everywhere. I don't like Windwaker's art direction but I'm wondering if it's still a game worth playing in 2017.

Wind Waker gameplay is pretty similar to Twilight Princess. I replayed Twilight Princess last fall and it definitely showed its age. Still fun and worth playing, but the control feels a bit dated and robotic.

Much of Wind Waker's appeal is the art direction and music. There are long sailing segments which were fine for exploration in 2003 but probably don't hold up well today, especially compared to BOTW.

I'd side with keeping WW though. Still a worthwhile experience.

Red

Zelda games tend to hold up well, though Wind Waker might feel slight compared to the others. It's still a solid action adventure. I recommend making your own paper map as you play, and filling it out with secrets and discoveries.

Man these divine beast dungeons being so drab and boring design wise makes me miss the themed dungeons of the past, having obtuse puzzles doesn't really help either.

Kolle

Neo Member
10 hours in and I'm already starting to lose interest in the game. My weapons don't do any damage, enemies two-shot me and I feel lost in the world, where to go next etc.. Really liked it until now, so what am I missing or doing wrong? I'm in Hateno Village btw.

Red

10 hours in and I'm already starting to lose interest in the game. My weapons don't do any damage, enemies two-shot me and I feel lost in the world, where to go next etc.. Really liked it until now, so what am I missing or doing wrong? I'm in Hateno Village btw.
You decide where to go, there is no right direction.

jariw

Get better weapons, better armor/defence and more hearts? Have you unlocked the map for the region you're in?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Are you playing on Master Mode for your first go? You shouldn't be doing that.

Also, go to a clothing shop and buy some new stuff.

Anteo

weird. even in master mode with super earyl weapons, blue bokoblings are not that hard to deal with. Are you somehow facing brown bokoblings already?

Kolle

Neo Member
Are you playing on Master Mode for your first go? You shouldn't be doing that.

Also, go to a clothing shop and buy some new stuff.
Normal mode, the enemies were reasonable until now so I dumped everything into stamina, but those black Bokoblins are giving me a real hard time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Normal mode, the enemies were reasonable until now so I dumped everything into stamina, but those black Bokoblins are giving me a real hard time.

Yea, you need to balance it out a bit. Max stamina is great, but if you don't have the flurry mechanic mastered you're going to have a hard time.

Kolle

Neo Member
Yea, you need to balance it out a bit. Max stamina is great, but if you don't have the flurry mechanic mastered you're going to have a hard time.

Okay, that's not going to happen haha. I'll respec which would give me 7 hearts instead of 3 and see how it goes.

Clefargle

Question:

Is there any reward for 100% master mode? Like, had anyone done it yet, or has data mining found anything besides golden lynels?

Kill a lot of the Talos mini bosses and collect the gems then sell them off. And yes they respawn after every blood moon.
This never sounded like a good strategy to me. Mining gems from areas with lots of ore deposits seems like it would get you the same or more gems for less time invested and less weapons broken.

That said, the only time I ever had a real shortage of money was early on my first visit to Kakariko (couldn't afford the full stealth armor set). Don't recall any other time that I couldn't afford anything. I always had more than enough non-essential assets that I could sell for more rupees than I ever needed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This never sounded like a good strategy to me. Mining gems from areas with lots of ore deposits seems like it would get you the same or more gems for less time invested and less weapons broken.

That said, the only time I ever had a real shortage of money was early on my first visit to Kakariko (couldn't afford the full stealth armor set). Don't recall any other time that I couldn't afford anything. I always had more than enough non-essential assets that I could sell for more rupees than I ever needed.

Just go to the Elden and grab the drill spear, it does great damage against the Taloses and if you know the one I mean it respawns after every Blood Moon.

JoeNut

I take it you already own it on Wii U? Also, I am glad to see Zelda performing well in handheld mode since I am constantly away from home.

No actually, i've never owned a mario kart game before it - i just found the single player was fun for a bit, but the online was an absolute mess and i don't have any/many local 2 player opportunities.

Anywho on topic - hows hard mode?

Chinbo37

Fuck, 119 shrines and I cant get a blood moon for the life of me ... Im killing Hinoxes and a couple Lynels but nothing!

Deku Tree

Fuck, 119 shrines and I cant get a blood moon for the life of me ... Im killing Hinoxes and a couple Lynels but nothing!

If you rest at dueling peaks stable fire every day and talk to the moon prof guy when you wake up then he will tell you when a blood moon is coming.

Chinbo37

If you rest at dueling peaks stable fire every day and talk to the moon prof guy when you wake up then he will tell you when a blood moon is coming.

Thanks going to try that. I just need this last shine then I can beat the game. I did most of everything else that I wanted to do.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Thanks going to try that. I just need this last shine then I can beat the game. I did most of everything else that I wanted to do.

Build a camp fire next to the shrine and just wait to night a couple of times. Blood moons occur like every 3rd day or so if I recall correctly.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I tried that (kind of) but do you have to wait until you can see the moon to know?

No, back when I did that specific shrine I literally just camped next to the platform and walked up on it after waiting and it triggered instantly. Think I waited twice but that can be random. The time window during which a blood moon is active is from 9:00 PM until 1:00 AM.

Chinbo37

No, back when I did that specific shrine I literally just camped next to the platform and walked up on it after waiting and it triggered instantly. Think I waited twice but that can be random. The time window during which a blood moon is active is from 9:00 PM until 1:00 AM.

Ya but this is what i dont understand. I set up some wood bundles under the overhang near the shrine activation point. I just dropped flint on them over and over and rested until night (which starts at 9:00 PM). So theoretically when you wake up it should be 9 and then you can do it. But it never happened. I think I did more than 50 nights in a row.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Ya but this is what i dont understand. I set up some wood bundles under the overhang near the shrine activation point. I just dropped flint on them over and over and rested until night (which starts at 9:00 PM). So theoretically when you wake up it should be 9 and then you can do it. But it never happened. I think I did more than 50 nights in a row.
It helps if you've killed stuff like Lynals and taluses.

I like the art style but hated the actual game. Too much mindless boating and such. I quit at a point where I needed something I didn't have to continue the story and didn't want to bother finding it. Personally it is my least favorite Zelda.

Frankly if you want the best Zelda experience that is similar to BoTW you need to go back to the original. It is still extremely different though. The original and a Link to the Past are my 2 favorite Zelda games after BoTW.

Many of the 3D Zelda games just didn't hold my attention well.

Meowster

Just picked up a Switch last night and had a blast playing Breath of the Wild for the first time. I managed to stay away from any videos or clips so I was pretty in the dark about everything so I was quite surprised how open and wide the game is. I absolutely love everything about the design - this really feels like one of the best open worlds ever. I'm addicted to conquering shrines and climbing towers. I've climbed about six towers and done twelve shrines (some far more higher leveled than my Link was meant for but I made always around if). Can't wait to go back to the game this weekend.

dLMN8R

So I've spent ~200 hours playing through the game two entire times (once on Wii U, another on Switch). My strategy at this point to take on White / Striped enemies is to just find a heavy weapon and use my spin attack like crazy. I do some dodging and such here and there, but the combat just isn't super interesting to me anymore.

Given that, is there really any reason for me to play Hard Mode now? Is it really just the end-game combat bumped up to be earlier in the game, and not much more? Or is there anything that's genuinely new and cool and worth a 3rd replay of the game?

TheMoon

So I've spent ~200 hours playing through the game two entire times (once on Wii U, another on Switch). My strategy at this point to take on White / Striped enemies is to just find a heavy weapon and use my spin attack like crazy. I do some dodging and such here and there, but the combat just isn't super interesting to me anymore.

Given that, is there really any reason for me to play Hard Mode now? Is it really just the end-game combat bumped up to be earlier in the game, and not much more? Or is there anything that's genuinely new and cool and worth a 3rd replay of the game?

I suggest reading the OP of the DLC OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1399545

Fantomex

So finally went into the castle today and something seemed a bit brutal.

You fight a mini boss that seemed to be a proving ground for Royal Knights to earn their title. I thought it seems a bit cruel but cool at th same time.

Red

Was there a change in the number of fairies that spawn per fountain now? I just picked up four at once at the Tabantha fountain. I've never seen more than three show before.

DonShula

So at 175 hours I've just now seen a Korok seed puzzle where
you shoot a sign
. And I only discovered it because of the mask. And it took about fifteen minutes of running around and climbing before I realized what to do. Somehow I thought to
take the arrows OUT of the sign at first, but not to shoot another into a sign until later

Crazy game.

So at 175 hours I've just now seen a Korok seed puzzle where
you shoot a sign
. And I only discovered it because of the mask. And it took about fifteen minutes of running around and climbing before I realized what to do. Somehow I thought to
take the arrows OUT of the sign at first, but not to shoot another into a sign until later

Crazy game.

I found this very early on, pretty much on my first visit to Kakariko. Others have too. I thought the clue was obvious, but clearly some people get it immediately and others don't.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Was there a change in the number of fairies that spawn per fountain now? I just picked up four at once at the Tabantha fountain. I've never seen more than three show before.
It's always been 4. I know this because I used to use the trick to get 11 in my inventory. When you have 3 or more in your inventory they won't respawn but holding them doesn't count as having them in your inventory so you can get more. When you have 4 in your inventory go to a fountain and hold 2 of them to make 4 more spawn and pick up 3 of them (now you have 7). Go to another fountain and hold 5 of them then pick up the 4 new ones and you'll now have 11. You could probably get more if you let them go instead of just holding them but they'll fly away if you take too long.

FinalAres

I loooove this game now. It's become one of my favourites ever.

There are a few things that really annoyed me. Hot, cold, rain, anything that was a barrier to my exploration. Signposting of information was probably as good as could be expected without turning in to a ubisoft style open world, but I did find myself missing out on crucial gear or information because I didn't happen to go one specific route.

I also didn't like the aimless exploration. However I got over that by downloading a map of all the shrines and dotting them every time I opened a new area. This will likely be sacrilege for many who liked the exploring for the sake of it, but for me it gave my exploring purpose, which turned the game from one I struggled to put any time into, into one I couldn't put down.

Similarly all the stuff like the hot and cold and the rain stopped being an issue once I'd got certain gear, and again it opened everything up to me and made me love the game even more.

The main reason I love the game though is the style. It's got a distinct serene style, it feels like a studio ghibli film.

All in all I'm glad I managed to negate the things that made the game boring for me, because once I had, everything that was leftover was incredible.

Vidiot

I bought the DLC and tried the trials. Got my ass handed to me so I decided to go finish the rest of the shrines to get full hearts before I try the trials again. I was at 80 and now I have 113. I have to admit there are some really clever environmental puzzels to get to some of the shrines. I seem to be enjoying myself more now then I was at launch. Maybe because there aren't any expectations any longer of what the game should have been imo. I still wish we got more traditional dungeons and boss fights, but I've certainly warmed up to what BotW is.

Still hope the next Zelda takes what worked in BotW and adds more of the traditional Zelda elements I miss though.

Red

I did my first divine beast after 160 or so hours. Van Medoh. I completed most of the terminals before downloading the map, but couldn't get the last couple without tilting the wings.

It was cool, but I didn't like the death barrier that forms underneath him. There must be a reason for it, but it seemed like, why not let me fly back up there somehow if I decide to glide away? I think Medoh is the highest point in the game (outside of the infinite flying machine), and it would be cool to dive off and see where you could land.

The puzzles weren't very demanding, and I wish it was a little longer. Conceptually I think it was pretty damn cool, just wish I had reason to stick around a bit more.

DonShula

I did my first divine beast after 160 or so hours. Van Medoh. I completed most of the terminals before downloading the map, but couldn't get the last couple without tilting the wings.

It was cool, but I didn't like the death barrier that forms underneath him. There must be a reason for it, but it seemed like, why not let me fly back up there somehow if I decide to glide away? I think Medoh is the highest point in the game (outside of the infinite flying machine), and it would be cool to dive off and see where you could land.

The puzzles weren't very demanding, and I wish it was a little longer. Conceptually I think it was pretty damn cool, just wish I had reason to stick around a bit more.

Along the same lines, I tried to glide off a mountain and down into Ruta early in the game (before I completed her) and got rejected by an invisible power barrier at the last second. I thought I was being resourceful and was kinda disappointed.

Red

Along the same lines, I tried to glide off a mountain and down into Ruta early in the game (before I completed her) and got rejected by an invisible power barrier at the last second. I thought I was being resourceful and was kinda disappointed.
Yeah, Ruta pushes you away. I got onto Naboris early but it seemed like the physics were broken, Link bounced all over the place and I was flung away (to be killed by the inevitable lightning strike).

I actually appreciated the forcefield around Ruta, because it communicates "you can't go here yet" very clearly. You can get on top of Naboris and all that happens is the physics get wacky. I had no idea there were quests involved with getting to the divine beasts and I thought you were meant to be resourceful to reach and scale them. When I got to Naboris it just felt broken.

Reaching Ruta early at least marks it on your map. I don't think this happens for any other divine beast.

Wollan

Just defeated my first
Lynel
enemy. On the mountain top when collecting
shock arrows prior to facing the divine beast in Zora domain.
Tough fight but I had some good gear (30-40dmg single-hand weapons) so only one un-intentional use of a fairy.

TheMoon

Just defeated my first
Lynel
enemy. On the mountain top when collecting
shock arrows prior to facing the divine beast in Zora domain.
Tough fight but I had some good gear (30-40dmg single-hand weapons) so only one un-intentional use of a fairy.

You don't need to spoiler tag names of enemies. There's no need for that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm not going to say weather ruins the game like I've read expressed elsewhere, it's more of an annoyance that's too common. That said, it would be nice to gain some item that controls weather, or barring that, some sort of weather forecasting system so I don't plan my afternoon around mountain climbing only to have it ruined by rain. Or that suspiciously sudden thunderstorm that makes climbing a tower more difficult for no real reason.

Nighttime is also crap for exploration and since I don't like to fast forward the game at camps I just deal with both grudgingly.

TheMoon

I'm not going to say weather ruins the game like I've read expressed elsewhere, it's more of an annoyance that's too common. That said, it would be nice to gain some item that controls weather, or barring that, some sort of weather forecasting system so I don't plan my afternoon around mountain climbing only to have it ruined by rain. Or that suspiciously sudden thunderstorm that makes climbing a tower more difficult for no real reason.

Nighttime is also crap for exploration and since I don't like to fast forward the game at camps I just deal with both grudgingly.

You should look at the in-game weather forecast next to the mini-map. It's been there the whole time.

Top Bottom