• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

ccbfan

lol I finished

master trials
100+ shrines
4 Divine beast bosses

Got 53 total korok seeds.

I guess it's time to look for that mask.

Did we all just start gaming at the same time? I'm 37, my favorite game was Ocarina of Time but this will likely dethrone it. I had soured on Nintendo too, until the switch. Hated the idea of Wii and Wii U after being a huge Nintendo fanboy. I'm hoping for ports on all the games I missed.

What's different about the Switch for you? It feels like a clear follow up from the Wii. In many ways it feels like a second (much better) attempt at what the Wii U was meant to be.

The same thing bothered me about both systems: I felt like Nintendo was being cheap with horsepower and just going with gimmicks. I didn't have to own the most powerful consoles but I didn't want to spend my own money on weak ass hardware. A sub HD console (the Wii) was highly offensive at that stage of my life. I was that guy who spent money on his av equipment and wanted my consoles to push my gear.

The switch being basically the most powerful handheld called my attention and signaled to me that Nintendo was turning the corner away from pure gimmicks.

Also, I have kids now and I want them to own a Nintendo console.

I'm 36. ALTTP was my favorite Zelda until BOTW. Hated the Wii concept. Loved my Wii U. Switch was going to be an auto-buy.

I've been a life long Nintendo fan, but lost interest in Zelda beginning with Twilight Princess (which I tried playing on Gamecube and quickly abandoned). I think the only retail game I fully played on Wii was Mario Galaxy (which I loved and was my game of that generation), but my Wii didn't get much use otherwise. I was drifting away from console gaming and doing what little gaming I did on Nintendo handhelds mainly. I even sold my TV since I was barely turning it on a couple of hours a month (still don't own a TV since then).

I didn't even consider getting a Wii U until very recently (and never considered PS4 or XBO either), I still loved the 3DS dearly even though I haven't played much on it in recent years. So the Switch being a hybrid (that I could use as purely a handheld) and BotW re-inventing a series I had grown tired of was a perfect double-punch for me to jump back in, or at least attempt to. My reasoning for preordering the console was that if Zelda didn't grab me then I'll just sell the thing and likely won't lose any money. At worst it would be like I rented the system and the game for a small fee (or even make a profit) and at best I would end up loving the game and the system. And we know how that story ended :)

DonShula

Finally got enough seeds to max out slots yesterday. It was kind of underwhelming. Can't get that Shakala guy to dance anymore.

Red

I think he'll dance again at 900. Get cracking.

I've had most Nintendo consoles. I was late on the Wii. I was going to college as it released, and didn't have much time to play. I don't remember how I felt about it on release. I think I was put off by that era of Nintendo, when the DS and their motion controls invited a lot of shovelware. But I appreciate their approach toward hardware. I thought the Wii was a beautiful little console, and I thought it was a smart move to make it cheaper and smaller than the competition. I felt the controls had promise but nothing on the system ever really delivered on that. Skyward Sword came close, but it was also their swan song. It showed what was possible and then pulled the rug. I was not very interested in Wii U (or really any of the current gen consoles), since I had gone back to PC gaming. The Wii U was a blocky, chunky, ugly piece of hardware. Nothing on it excited me. I've spent some time with the controller and thought it was a pretty horrendous way to play. But the concept of a hybrid console was great, and I'm glad they took the best ideas of the Wii and Wii U into development of the Switch, which really feels like it is fulfilling promises they made years ago. It has quickly become one of my favorite pieces of gaming hardware. Zelda is no small part of that. My favorite thing about the Wii was the split controller, but I always thought it was a little big and a little too uncomfortable. The joycons are much better. They handle as complex a game as BotW with ease. It simply feels good to play Zelda on such a capable little machine.

DonShula

I think he'll dance again at 900. Get cracking.

I've had most Nintendo consoles. I was late on the Wii. I was going to college as it released, and didn't have much time to play. I don't remember how I felt about it on release. I think I was put off by that era of Nintendo, when the DS and their motion controls invited a lot of shovelware. But I appreciate their approach toward hardware. I thought the Wii was a beautiful little console, and I thought it was a smart move to make it cheaper and smaller than the competition. I felt the controls had promise but nothing on the system ever really delivered on that. Skyward Sword came close, but it was also their swan song. It showed what was possible and then pulled the rug. I was not very interested in Wii U (or really any of the current gen consoles), since I had gone back to PC gaming. The Wii U was a blocky, chunky, ugly piece of hardware. Nothing on it excited me. I've spent some time with the controller and thought it was a pretty horrendous way to play. But the concept of a hybrid console was great, and I'm glad they took the best ideas of the Wii and Wii U into development of the Switch, which really feels like it is fulfilling promises they made years ago. It has quickly become one of my favorite pieces of gaming hardware. Zelda is no small part of that. My favorite thing about the Wii was the split controller, but I always thought it was a little big and a little too uncomfortable. The joycons are much better. They handle as complex a game as BotW with ease. It simply feels good to play Zelda on such a capable little machine.

Korok dude had the nerve to say "I think there may still be more out there." Yeah buddy, you think?

And as much as I like the Wii U, that controller wasn't great. It was so large that you weren't always pointing the sticks in the direction you thought.

maxcriden

Nice thing about the Wii U was that they seemed to realize basically from the start that it wouldn't always be people's preferred controller, so many/most of the first party games support several different controllers, including ones that were usable on Wii. So if you had a Wii previously, you had plenty of controllers for Wii U as soon as you got the system. I play Wii U games with the Wiimote whenever possible. Red, if you love Nintendo games in general, I do hope you eventually get to play some of the gems on Wii U, whether they make it to Switch or however they'll be made available down the line. Games like Tropical Freeze and 3D World are something special, IMO.

TheMoon

And as much as I like the Wii U, that controller wasn't great. It was so large that you weren't always pointing the sticks in the direction you thought.

huh??? now after all these years, that's actually a complaint I've never heard before :D

Kevtones

Man I've played without the sensor and I'm stuck at

108 shrines
473 Koroks

I'm baffled but am going to double down on my Hero's Path analysis I guess.

maxcriden

Those are the two games I most want to play from the system's library. And Super Mario Maker, although not sure how fun that will remain without the post-release online activity.

You're in for a treat when you do get to play them. NSMBU and Yoshi are the two other standout platformers on the system. Especially going for 100% in each. The Challenge Mode in NSMBU is amazing.

As to SMM, I didn't get into level creation much because I'm not very creative, but there are some awesome levels made by GAFers. I am enjoying the 3DS version much more so because it contains a 17 world Mario game with unusual and stellar levels made by Nintendo, each with its own additional challenges. Very satisfying to play through.

DonShula

huh??? now after all these years, that's actually a complaint I've never heard before :D

I know it's a weird one. I had a difficult time pointing the sticks directly up - they were always diagonal for some reason. And I'd get mad at the controller.

Man I've played without the sensor and I'm stuck at

108 shrines
473 Koroks

I'm baffled but am going to double down on my Hero's Path analysis I guess.

If your sensor is off, Hero's Path won't help in some cases. Obviously I don't know which shrines you've found, but for some you can walk directly over them without ever seeing them. The toughest shrines to find (IMO of course) are the ones that require you to notice something strange from a distance but give you no clues when you're standing right next to them.

Red

Nice thing about the Wii U was that they seemed to realize basically from the start that it wouldn't always be people's preferred controller, so many/most of the first party games support several different controllers, including ones that were usable on Wii. So if you had a Wii previously, you had plenty of controllers for Wii U as soon as you got the system. I play Wii U games with the Wiimote whenever possible. Red, if you love Nintendo games in general, I do hope you eventually get to play some of the gems on Wii U, whether they make it to Switch or however they'll be made available down the line. Games like Tropical Freeze and 3D World are something special, IMO.
If they move to Switch I might play them someday. I'm sure I'd like them but I'm okay with not playing everything. I have three games preordered on Switch for the next two years: Axiom Verge, Mario Odyssey, and Metroid Prime 4. I have Samus Returns ordered on 3DS. At this point in my life, even that feels like a lot for me. I've got into the habit of really squeezing all the juice out of the games I play, seeing everything possible, and really learning the mechanics inside and out. This is how I used to play games through elementary and middle school, but I lost it for a while. You can imagine how intimidating Breath of the Wild feels even after nearly 200 hours.

Boney

Banned
Just beat the final Trial of the Sword on Master Mode (didn't bother with it on regular). That final room was exactly what I wanted to experience more in the overworld at a regular pace. That's some top tier encounter!

The hardest room is still the one from the first trial with the 2 silver Lizalfos, because if you don't take out the blue one that spots you almost immediately, you're fucked since you have garbage weapons.

ChuyMasta

Just beat the final Trial of the Sword on Master Mode (didn't bother with it on regular). That final room was exactly what I wanted to experience more in the overworld at a regular pace. That's some top tier encounter!

The hardest room is still the one from the first trial with the 2 silver Lizalfos, because if you don't take out the blue one that spots you almost immediately, you're fucked since you have garbage weapons.

This so much! I spent the longest time trying to beat the beginners trials because of the lizalfos. At the end I just spammed flying time. I climbed to the top of the skeleton sword fish, lured a lizalfos into the water, then slow mo its ass with arrows. I ran out of stamina so I fell into the water, drowned and respawned on top of the skeleton again. I will not complain about that. Granted, I pretty much used up all my arrows, bjt it was worth it!

grimmiq

Would I be right in assuming now that I've cleared all 4 divine beasts and been told to head to the castle that all I have left is completionist/optional stuff before the finale? I know I have a lot of shrines left and going to do those next, sortof stumbled upon the Master Sword going from the R
ito village to Goron, the Rito chief mentioned the sword after I beat that beast., luckily I had 15 hearts by that time
. 3rd beast was pretty easy, 4th was a joke with the sword. Still have 2 or 3 places to visit from the album too.

Red

Would I be right in assuming now that I've cleared all 4 divine beasts and been told to head to the castle that all I have left is completionist/optional stuff before the finale? I know I have a lot of shrines left and going to do those next, sortof stumbled upon the Master Sword going from the R
ito village to Goron, the Rito chief mentioned the sword after I beat that beast., luckily I had 15 hearts by that time
. 3rd beast was pretty easy, 4th was a joke with the sword. Still have 2 or 3 places to visit from the album too.
Everything except for Ganon is optional stuff—there really isn't a need to separate the beasts into their own category, as if they are necessary to complete the game.

Oh, awesome. Does that include Calamity Ganon himself?

I believe so yes.

It powers up against divine beast bosses, Ganon, Guardians (but not mini ones inside shrines), and everywhere inside the castle. Not only its attack power doubles, but its durability is much prolonged while powered up I think.

Xamdou

Anybody attended the Zelda Symphony concert before? Will be going tonight @ SF and am wondering how was the experience like. Also will they be selling exclusive merchandise at the venue?

WolfeTone

Anybody attended the Zelda Symphony concert before? Will be going tonight @ SF and am wondering how was the experience like. Also will they be selling exclusive merchandise at the venue?

I went to one a few years ago, maybe 2013. It was a wonderful experience. They played a diverse selection of music from across the series, not just the big memorable hits. Some parts of it were quite moving, mostly in a nostalgic sense as some of the music invoked some powerful memories of my childhood.

Expect lots of nerds in costume or tshirts and yes there will be some merchandise like CDs, tshirts, and things. I can't remember specifically what they were selling.

Xamdou

I went to one a few years ago, maybe 2013. It was a wonderful experience. They played a diverse selection of music from across the series, not just the big memorable hits. Some parts of it were quite moving, mostly in a nostalgic sense as some of the music invoked some powerful memories of my childhood.

Expect lots of nerds in costume or tshirts and yes there will be some merchandise like CDs, tshirts, and things. I can't remember specifically what they were selling.

Awesome! My Zelda Symphony showing stars @ 8:00pm tonight, Will wear my Zelda Track jacket and BotW shirt!

Red

I would love to go to the Zelda Symphony but ticket prices are crazy high.

Just checked and mezzanine seats are only around $60, which isn't bad. Could've sworn last I checked even the balconies were $75+.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I just got the game for Wii U and was curious if people prefer the jump button mapped to X or B. Using the Pro controller X feels a lot comfier for sprinting.

Red

Got tunic of the wild. Looks good. Still can't find two shrine quests and have no idea where to look.

Found two treasure chests tonight that required being on a raft. Using cryonis puts Link at too great a distance to fish them out. Never actually used a raft before in this game, except to ascend with octoballoons.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Just got this game, do yall think my first playthrough should be on master mode? Any tips/advice from experienced adventurers is welcome too!

Just got this game, do yall think my first playthrough should be on master mode? Any tips/advice from experienced adventurers is welcome too!

I think the game in master mode is more enjoyable if you already know the systems of the game. You can play with the hud on pro mode since the game has npcs/signs that show you the way. It's a very flexible game, so really do things at your own pace.

@red: Did you get the shrine quest for the shrine at the beach (a spiraling area) ? Or the one of the spring of power/skull lake?

1. Play in Pro HUD, it's an absolute must.
2. Play normal until you beat one-two bosses.
3. Restart in Master Mode and realize how much you learned, and play with challenge!

That'd be my advice.

Deku Tree

Got tunic of the wild. Looks good. Still can't find two shrine quests and have no idea where to look.

You must have done all the shrine quests but you don't get completion unless you talk to the person who initiates the quest. If you can figure out who to talk to then you will get completion.

Red

I think the game in master mode is more enjoyable if you already know the systems of the game. You can play with the hud on pro mode since the game has npcs/signs that show you the way. It's a very flexible game, so really do things at your own pace.

@red: Did you get the shrine quest for the shrine at the beach (a spiraling area) ? Or the one of the spring of power/skull lake?
I got the skull lake quest after completing the shrine, yeah. I don't know if I ever got a quest for the spiral area. Will have to check. Do you know what the quest is titled?

Is it ever explained (very early location references)
what the great plateau is, why there is a temple of time ruined etc? I was expecting some kind of story exposition about it.
I realise there are lots of references to past game locations but the temple in particular was part of the initial story with the king

DonShula

Is it ever explained (very early location references)
what the great plateau is, why there is a temple of time ruined etc? I was expecting some kind of story exposition about it.
I realise there are lots of references to past game locations but the temple in particular was part of the initial story with the king

Nope. Not that I've seen.

Red

It's not. I wish there were more environmental clues as to Hyrule's history. A lot of things seem to exist just because.

Top Bottom