• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Master Mode Trial of the Sword down, 120 shrines, most armours fully upgraded, all Divine Beasts done and I'm sitting at 804 koroks. I've got a funny feeling I'm going to come up short.

Is it ever explained (very early location references)
what the great plateau is, why there is a temple of time ruined etc? I was expecting some kind of story exposition about it.
I realise there are lots of references to past game locations but the temple in particular was part of the initial story with the king

There was a thread a few days ago linking to an article which speculated that
The Great Plateau used to be where the Lost Woods are now. Both areas are about the same size and shape, one is a crater, the other is a big chunk of out-of-place land that almost looks like it was just dropped there and geographically the Lost Woods is placed right where Hyrule Castle/Town/the Temple of Time usually is. Oh and the Lost Woods are covered in mysterious white fog while the Great Plateau has mysterious white fog surrounding the base.

Sorry, that answers absolutely nothing.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
It's a pleasant sunny evening here, so I was dawdling around the back garden when a strong breeze sprang up ...

.. and I looked around to see where the dragon was.

Maybe I've been playing botw a bit too much.

DonShula

It's not. I wish there were more environmental clues as to Hyrule's history. A lot of things seem to exist just because.

Not to mention a lot of things are named just because. "We need a name for this place - dig through an old game and find a name we made up."

Spectacle Rock should have a warp tile under a rock that takes you to corrupted BOTW.

Master Mode Trial of the Sword down, 120 shrines, most armours fully upgraded, all Divine Beasts done and I'm sitting at 804 koroks. I've got a funny feeling I'm going to come up short.

There was a thread a few days ago linking to an article which speculated that
The Great Plateau used to be where the Lost Woods are now. Both areas are about the same size and shape, one is a crater, the other is a big chunk of out-of-place land that almost looks like it was just dropped there and geographically the Lost Woods is placed right where Hyrule Castle/Town/the Temple of Time usually is. Oh and the Lost Woods are covered in mysterious white fog while the Great Plateau has mysterious white fog surrounding the base.

Sorry, that answers absolutely nothing.

Ha, it doesn't answer anything but it's definitely very interesting

LuFel

Oh nice! Game finished!
120 shrines
641 koroks

over 300 hrs played, i was fun in this game to the end... best zelda ever since OoT to me...

Anybody attended the Zelda Symphony concert before? Will be going tonight @ SF and am wondering how was the experience like. Also will they be selling exclusive merchandise at the venue?

I went in 2015. It was a great experience. I love that video of the games play during each piece of music. I'd love to go again sometime in the future.

And yeah, there should be some merchandise for sale.

ChuyMasta

So apparently the Monster medal glitch in Master mode hasn't' been fixed. I did not know about this and began hunting the Talus's and Hinox...

OHHH BOY WAS I DISAPPOINTED WHEN MY COUNTER DIDN'T GO PAST 18-17!!!

I figured the latest patch fixed this :(

Has anyone rebought this game on the Switch after having it on the Wii U? Its so tempting, but at the same time I already have the game. Is it worth it?

Has anyone rebought this game on the Switch after having it on the Wii U? Its so tempting, but at the same time I already have the game. Is it worth it?

If you plan on using your Switch in portable mode, YES. BotW is the perfect game to play in short bursts.

Heck, even if you plan on using it mainly in dock mode, the Switch's Sleep Mode functionality completely changes how you play console games. It's a revelation being able to play a game for 5-10 minutes at a time.

Performance is also noticeably better on the Switch.

Boney

Banned
Collected the DLC armor earlier today, and while I still have to beat Ganon, I think it's safe to say that season 1 was a major dissapointment in terms of content. The difficulty mode isn't a radical shift to justify it being priced outside the main game and the armor is aesthetically "neat" and fun to play around with but it's more of a mindless diversion. I think Trial of the Sword was great, but it being structured as a gauntlet with the artificial aesthetics and just room to room challenges makes it feel kinda cheap. it's great content but it's created in a way to cut costs as much as possible so it being the biggest stand out for the season leaves it a bit vulnerable.

I don't expect much from season 2 either and most certainly won't be enough to prop up the rest of it. It just really seems most of the stuff added, like map functionality or difficulty mode have no business being purchasable. Not having it day 1 is fine, but selling it isn't.

poodpick

Did they bother playtesting the trial of the sword on master mode? That floor with the 2 silver lizalfos is making me rage like nothing else.

TheMoon

So apparently the Monster medal glitch in Master mode hasn't' been fixed. I did not know about this and began hunting the Talus's and Hinox...

OHHH BOY WAS I DISAPPOINTED WHEN MY COUNTER DIDN'T GO PAST 18-17!!!

I figured the latest patch fixed this :(

There has not been a patch since the DLC came out. There was no "last patch."

Ein Bear

Credits are just rolling now. 120 shrines, 85 hours played.

What an absolute masterpiece. I completely agree with the sentiment that the game made me feel something I genuinely thought I was too old to experience anymore.

Red

Trial of the Sword is solid DLC, but I'm disappointed the hero's path and travel medallion are locked behind DLC. And the equipment all seems half-baked, with no option to upgrade. I hope the back half of the DLC is improved on this. I don't think it's unfair to criticize what we've got so far.

A related point: just found the Switch t-shirt. Forgot all about these DLC chests on the great plateau.

TheMoon

Trial of the Sword is solid DLC, but I'm disappointed the hero's path and travel medallion are locked behind DLC. And the equipment all seems half-baked, with no option to upgrade. I hope the back half of the DLC is improved on this. I don't think it's unfair to criticize what we've got so far.

that's criticism of what's in there, not a value judgment like I was saying. that's completely fine. but people have been saying "the DLC hasn't been/isn't worth it" which is ridiculous when the full thing isn't even out.

Been playing master mode and finally got out of the plateau. I have learned that its best to avoid all enemies since you'll lose more weapons than you'll gain. And if you have a low level weapon with more than one enemy attacking you, just run because the enemies will regain health faster than you can beat them.

Master mode is essentially avoid all enemies mode.

Been playing master mode and finally got out of the plateau. I have learned that its best to avoid all enemies since you'll lose more weapons than you'll gain. And if you have a low level weapon with more than one enemy attacking you, just run because the enemies will regain health faster than you can beat them.

Master mode is essentially avoid all enemies mode.

Unless the enemy has a better weapon than you do, then it can be a net gain. And don't forget the monster parts you collect from enemies, some will come in handy later on.

Also, attacking skeleton night enemies can be a great way to stock up on good weapons, since all these enemies only need two hits to kill (edit: or one, if you hit the head), and they often drop very good weapons. And you can use bombs so no degrading of your gear.

DonShula

Finally beat Gannon yesterday. Missing 4 shrines (all have a quest apparently) and 10 side quests, 3 of which I have on my list. I don't think I'll go for all the seeds - have about 470 now.

Ending was good enough. I can see why people were disappointed and want to challenge themselves with it beyond what the game offers.

Also disappointed I couldn't
take the 100 bow back to the rest of the game with me
. But I guess I understand since it has
infinite ammo

Final impression: best Zelda game. Beats ALTTP for me. I was never a huge Ocarina fan because I didn't see it as a fully-realized 3D vision of Zelda. BOTW is that for me.

I'll go back for the DLC and the rest of the shrines, but I can't see myself starting over again from scratch for the foreseeable future. 230 hours is quite enough for one game (for now).

I'd start a new game immediately if I could play as Zelda.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

I just did over the weekend. I was 150 hours into the WiiU version and all I needed to do was beat ganon (took about 10 minutes with all my powered up armor from the playthrough) then immediately bought it on Switch and the performance shift was immediate as well as just having it on the go being a lot of fun. I'll probably play this run more casually and try to obtain all the korok seeds and check out more side stuff.

It's worth the double dip.

Deku Tree

Anyone interested in a wave based zelda BotW RNG horde mode? More like the Bloodborne Chalice Dungeons than Trial of the Sword.

Boney

Banned
There's a new update, installing as we speak. I guess it patches out the save exploit for the no Shiekah Slate?

ChuyMasta

There's a new update, installing as we speak. I guess it patches out the save exploit for the no Shiekah Slate?

The update still doesnt fix the monsters medal bug.

Someone please prove me wrong. Master Mode, monster medals.

I'll do another run now that a blood moon finally happened, but I'm stuck at 39 Talus and Hinox.

TheMoon

The update still doesnt fix the monsters medal bug.

Someone please prove me wrong. Master Mode, monster medals.

I'll do another run now that a blood moon finally happened, but I'm stuck at 39 Talus and Hinox.

Like I said right above your post, this is exactly what the update fixed.

Update contents

• Fixed an issue with Pack 1: The Master Trials of the Expansion Pass, in which defeating certain enemies for Kilton was not counted toward completion when playing in Master Mode.
  • In-game items can now be obtained from launching the software from certain articles distributed through The Legend of Zelda BOTW Important News Channel, which can be accessed through News on the Home menu.
  • This channel will open on 09/08/2017
  • Depending on your game progress and location, certain items may not be obtainable
  • Introduces additional enhancements to improve the user's experience and enjoyment
http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/N.../Software-update-August-8th-2017-1250803.html

ChuyMasta

Like I said right above your post, this is exactly what the update fixed.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/N.../Software-update-August-8th-2017-1250803.html

Correct. Before the patch the counter stopped at 17-18
After the patch, the counter stops at 39.

Again, I'll double check once I get home later today, but it seems like the update from yesterday is still not addressing the issue. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Edit: Talus work! I was missing One east of Hyrule Castle.
Now to double run the Hinox
And found it!!

The medals work! I got em!

I am at 119 Shrines... where the fuck is the last one!?

I denied using the shrine detector until this point, I'm at a loss! Is it possible this shrine isn't "activated" until I talk to a certain person or do something special?

I'm going crazy guys. Anyone know any particularly elusive shrines they can help me with?
I found the shrine inside the Hebra mountains, btw; the one with the leviathan skeleton nearby.

Red

I denied using the shrine detector until this point, I'm at a loss! Is it possible this shrine isn't "activated" until I talk to a certain person or do something special?

I'm going crazy guys. Anyone know any particularly elusive shrines they can help me with?
I found the shrine inside the Hebra mountains, btw; the one with the leviathan skeleton nearby.
Why don't you use the sensor? It doesn't pinpoint the exact location, so it won't spoil the adventure. If you have the DLC you could check your hero's path and see if any areas have been neglected.

Why don't you use the sensor? It doesn't pinpoint the exact location, so it won't spoil the adventure. If you have the DLC you could check your hero's path and see if any areas have been neglected.
I use it now, but to no avail :(

I feel like it's likely tied to a quest or something

andthebeatgoeson

Zeldamaps dot com. There's nothing wrong with a little bump and FAQ.

Red

The hardest shrines to find (that I remember) are:
-by the Hebra leviathan bones
-in the ice cold creek at Hebra
-under the stupid "bird" ledge that doesn't look like a bird
-in a lava lake reachable by mine cart on death mountain

Everything else was pretty obvious, and I don't recall any others which were difficult to find and undetectable by sensor.

Orgen

Have you done all the Shrine quests? (I don't know its exact name in English, they are called Heroic Tests in Spanish). I think there are 42 or 43 and I was missing one of them (Related to taking pictures of some Guardians).

Top Bottom