• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

jotun?

Is there a place I can buy Ancient Cores?

I've been trying to get a blood moon so the Guardians can respawn but I'm not getting one.

I don't think so, but have you really gone through all of the guardians that can drop cores?
- the stalkers of course
- skywatchers, in the castle area, west of the castle, akkala citadel, and ordorac quarry
- turrets on the castle
- scouts level 3 and 4 in the modest and major test of strength shrines (they do respawn with blood moons)

SM239

(I also wonder how you efficiently kill white linels, I barely damage it with 30+ weapons, +3 attack and
barbarian
outfit :/ )

+3 attack and
barbarian
outfit use the same attack buff counter. Using both at the same time does not give extra attack power since you can only buff to +3 attack.

For lynels learn their patterns and backflip, sidehop, or parry when needed. The following setup is something I like to use to get a lot of damage in really quickly.
1. Start by going for a headshot to stun them. (aim for the chin/mouth since that seems to be the most consistent headshot hitbox area) The easiest time is when they're preparing that explosion attack or by riding an updraft created by their fire breath or explosion to activate slow-mo with the bow.
2. Walk up to them while shooting more arrows for extra headshots while they're stunned. (You can get 2 to 3 extra headshots in this way)
3. Mount them after you walk up and get some extra hits in.
4. Immediately after they throw you off from the mount pull out the bow to get some extra slow-mo headshots in. (Aim for where the lynel's chin/mouth would be on the other side of their head and you can get a headshot in from behind them.)

With +3 attack, a 30 power weapon, and a 38 power bow you can get over 1300 damage in from a single headshot stun and mount.

Anteo

Is there a place I can buy Ancient Cores?

I've been trying to get a blood moon so the Guardians can respawn but I'm not getting one.

Yes there is.

There is a traveler that sell ancient parts, I believe he is found on the path to hateno. Like any other travelling seller he will sell you his rarest item (ancient cores) if you find him while its raining.

A couple questions after I beat the final boss last night:

Does properly parrying
guardian beams
damage your shield or only if your timing is off?

Also, regarding the ending,
Zelda says "Do you truly remember me?" and I'm missing two memories. Does getting those memories unlock a different ending?

jotun?

+3 attack and
barbarian
outfit use the same attack buff counter. Using both at the same time does not give extra attack power since you can only buff to +3 attack.

For lynels learn their patterns and backflip, sidehop, or parry when needed. The following setup is something I like to use to get a lot of damage in really quickly.
1. Start by going for a headshot to stun them. (aim for the chin/mouth since that seems to be the most consistent headshot hitbox area) The easiest time is when they're preparing that explosion attack or by riding an updraft created by their fire breath or explosion to activate slow-mo with the bow.
2. Walk up to them while shooting more arrows for extra headshots while they're stunned. (You can get 2 to 3 extra headshots in this way)
3. Mount them after you walk up and get some extra hits in.
4. Immediately after they throw you off from the mount pull out the bow to get some extra slow-mo headshots in. (Aim for where the lynel's chin/mouth would be on the other side of their head and you can get a headshot in from behind them.)

With +3 attack, a 30 power weapon, and a 38 power bow you can get over 1300 damage in from a single headshot stun and mount.
This is pretty much exactly how I handle Lynels, but a couple of extra notes:
Their own bows are the strongest weapons against them. Since you're able to get a lot of these headshots at close range, their multishot bows let you get multiple headshots at once.
2. (may be considered an exploit)
While mounted, the weapon you use to hit them 5 times will suffer no durability loss. I have a 98-power sword that I use exclusively for this.
Even disregarding the above, it's generally a good idea to switch to a hard-hitting 2-handed weapon while mounted to maximize damage because attack speed doesn't matter. It's always 5 hits whether you're using a 1-hander, spear, or big 2-hander.
Doing this I can take out 2-3 silver lynels while only going through a single bow's durability, which I then of course get multiple replacements for.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Parrying doesn't damage your shield at all. You could literally parry them with a pot lid.

Is there a difference in parry window timing for different shields? I have a silver shield that is only 18 defence but the description talks about deflecting blasts like water in skilled hands so it feels like it should be easier to parry with, but could just be fluffy writing.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Is there a difference in parry window timing for different shields? I have a silver shield that is only 18 defence but the description talks about deflecting blasts like water in skilled hands so it feels like it should be easier to parry with, but could just be fluffy writing.

No. the only thing that effects parry timing is distance

How do you parry this way that it goes back in 180 degrees instead of 45 or close to 90?

By actually parrying. If the beam doesn't go straight back, you did a regular block.

Maybe my timing was off because I definitely lost two shields while learning how to parry
guardian beams.

That's precisely how you know your timing is off. If you're not using the Hylian Shield and you mess up the timing when parrying a guardian beam, your shield breaks immediately. The key is to parry relatively early: if it actually hits the shield you were too late, and if it hits you, you were too early.

SM239

This is pretty much exactly how I handle Lynels, but a couple of extra notes:
Their own bows are the strongest weapons against them. Since you're able to get a lot of these headshots at close range, their multishot bows let you get multiple headshots at once.
2. (may be considered an exploit)
While mounted, the weapon you use to hit them 5 times will suffer no durability loss. I have a 98-power sword that I use exclusively for this.
Even disregarding the above, it's generally a good idea to switch to a hard-hitting 2-handed weapon while mounted to maximize damage because attack speed doesn't matter. It's always 5 hits whether you're using a 1-hander, spear, or big 2-hander.
Doing this I can take out 2-3 silver lynels while only going through a single bow's durability, which I then of course get multiple replacements for.

Great tips. Especially the mounted durability hit information. I have a number of 100+ power clubs I use just for the mounted hits since
the attack speed is the same for every weapon.
It's crazy how quickly you can take out a lynel with their own bow. If you can get the jump on one from above you can take one out before the battle music even starts. lol
Lynel Quick Kill

By actually parrying. If the beam doesn't go straight back, you did a regular block.

That's precisely how you know your timing is off. If you're not using the Hylian Shield and you mess up the timing when parrying a guardian beam, your shield breaks immediately. The key is to parry relatively early: if it actually hits the shield you were too late, and if it hits you, you were too early.

Gotcha, thanks.

Nerokis

I thought finding all the memories and defeating Ganon would free me from this game. But now I just can't stop thinking about it and wanting to go back.

I'm going to force myself to play Persona 5, but I can see myself coming back to BotW for years.

FinalAres

Really struggling to get in to this. Not played much, just finished my second shrine and trying to work out what to do next. I can see two more shrines from the tower but it's too cold to get up there. Am I supposed to have found warm clothes? At the moment I'm just wandering around a big empty world with nothing to do. It's frustrating. Any tips?

Chinbo37

Really struggling to get in to this. Not played much, just finished my second shrine and trying to work out what to do next. I can see two more shrines from the tower but it's too cold to get up there. Am I supposed to have found warm clothes? At the moment I'm just wandering around a big empty world with nothing to do. It's frustrating. Any tips?

There is a way to get a coat or you can cook peppers with meat or mushrooms that give cold resistance

You talk to the old man? He gives you tips. Also consider what will make you warm in a cold climate. Use what the world presents to you. You can also just explore the other areas for now. Fight some Bokoblins, get some weapons and materials. Find some Korok seeds.

If you aren't interested in exploring and testing what you can do with the world then the game might not be for you.

FinalAres

You talk to the old man? He gives you tips. Also consider what will make you warm in a cold climate. Use what the world presents to you. You can also just explore the other areas for now. Fight some Bokoblins, get some weapons and materials. Find some Korok seeds.

If you aren't interested in exploring and testing what you can do with the world then the game might not be for you.
The old man just says look in your menu (referencing the scope), maybe I've missed a step? Is the coat something I should be getting now. This game doesn't hold your hand, which is good, but it seems to use visual signposting so I might have missed something. Any vague hints you can give?

Love exploring, I'm an FF man at heart, but there just doesn't seem to be anything to do! I feel like that might change with the paraglider.

EDOT: Got it.
Fire. I wasn't sure holding a lit stick would be enough
but I guess I my should learn to experiment.

The old man just says look in your menu (referencing the scope), maybe I've missed a step? Is the coat something I should be getting now. This game doesn't hold your hand, which is good, but it seems to use visual signposting so I might have missed something. Any vague hints you can give?

Love exploring, I'm an FF man at heart, but there just doesn't seem to be anything to do! I feel like that might change with the paraglider.
Quick hint:
usually if you need to go to a location with harsh weather/temperature, you'll usually find food or items that will help you near the entrance to those areas. That said, you'll need to know what to do with those items in order get the benefits. The old man gives you this info, so if you see him around make sure to talk to him.

FinalAres

Quick hint:
usually if you need to go to a location with harsh weather/temperature, you'll usually find food or items that will help you near the entrance to those areas. That said, you'll need to know what to do with those items in order get the benefits. The old man gives you this info, so if you see him around make sure to talk to him.
Okay thanks, that makes sense with the peppers. Maybe I missed the old man at the point he'd give me that hint. Ta!

Speely

Banned
Yes there is.

There is a traveler that sell ancient parts, I believe he is found on the path to hateno. Like any other travelling seller he will sell you his rarest item (ancient cores) if you find him while its raining.

Whaaaat? 200 hours and I never knew this!! And I think I know the guy you are talking about.

I keep learning new stuff even now. Crazy.

Okay thanks, that makes sense with the peppers. Maybe I missed the old man at the point he'd give me that hint. Ta!
NP. So the old man doesn't really tell you about the peppers straight away (unless i'm misremembering), but he subtly teaches you how to cook (by talking about baked apples while sitting near the fire.) The rest of the game is kinda like that; it'll give you a general idea and then expects you to experiment with it to solve puzzles.

StAidan

The old man shows up in various places on the plateau and he'll teach you something different about the game depending on where you talk to him. You probably didn't miss him, you just haven't been to that area yet.

Pinky

Banned
Oh interesting. How'd you wind up going there from the plateau? Like what lead you there? I felt the game kind of guided me to
Kakariko

I actually headed towards
Kakariko
first, upon leaving the Great Plateau.
Vah Ruta
was the first beast I attempted, but I had trouble boarding it.
The ice blocks/spikes Vah Ruta launches was annoying the shit out of me and I kept running out of arrows.
After 4 or so attempts, I decided to ditch the beast and do other things in the world. Later on, I ventured to Death Mountain and became fascinated with the region. I attempted
Vah Rudania
, not expecting I would successfully take control of it on my first attempt, and ended up surprising myself. Of the two
______blight Ganons, I think Fireblight is much easier than Waterblight

The old man shows up in various places on the plateau and he'll teach you something different about the game depending on where you talk to him. You probably didn't miss him, you just haven't been to that area yet.

I apparently missed him in the
forest
. Never knew that place existed until I looked up how to get the
Warm Doublet
some time later.

maxcriden

There is a way to get a coat or you can cook peppers with meat or mushrooms that give cold resistance

EDOT: Got it.
Fire. I wasn't sure holding a lit stick would be enough
but I guess I my should learn to experiment.

Quick hint:

Hi again Jackstin. Glad you were able to make some progress! I wanted to offer you a few more tips in case they are helpful:

1) Only one of the four Plateau shrines will require you to be warm to get to it. There is another way to reach one of the two shrines in or near the cold area.

2) Make sure when cooking with ingredients you use a cookpot to get their buffs. If you cook them on the fire, you'll get more hearts but no buffs. If you mix buffs (like a heat-resisting ingredient with a defense-increasing ingredient) you will get neither effect. Also, it is not a requirement you cook with multiple kinds of ingredients. Cooking with peppers only for example will still give you the effects of the peppers.

3) Basically, what ridley182 said. Certain ingredients grow where you would environmentally expect them to. If you need to find more peppers, for example, they may be around the base of the chillier area. The "grows where you'd expect" aspect will be useful to you in exploring the game. Also, the Old Man has a place where he leaves some food laying around, that may be of use to you.

4) The lit stick will help keep you warm but will make it hard to do much else while you're holding it. So you may find it useful to use the other ingredients as well.

I hope exploration becomes more interesting to you when you get off the Plateau. I know it did for us. I also find much of the fun of exploration is in finding Koroks and finding interesting shrines, gear or people, so, perhaps you will enjoy that aspect too.

Whaaaat? 200 hours and I never knew this!! And I think I know the guy you are talking about.

I keep learning new stuff even now. Crazy.

I was really surprised to learn that also. It's also amazing when you come across a salesperson 100+ hours in selling items you thought you could only get in the wild
(raw meat salesman who walks by Dueling Peaks stable)

mindatlarge

One of the cool things about this game, you can go off the beaten path and play as you want to play. For instance, I secured all of the heat/cold/fire resist armor before really getting into the meat of the game. Made things a whole hell of a lot more enjoyable for me as the dependence on food and potions for those resists became unnecessary very quickly and I could explore and enjoy the game without restraints.

Mediking

Just to clarify... if I buy a Zelda Amiibo... like Wind Waker Link.... I can get a cool looking classic green outfit... right...?

Kakariko
Vah Ruta
The ice blocks/spikes Vah Ruta launches was annoying the shit out of me and I kept running out of arrows.
After 4 or so attempts, I decided to ditch the beast and do other things in the world. Later on, I ventured to Death Mountain and became fascinated with the region. I attempted
Vah Rudania
, not expecting I would successfully take control of it on my first attempt, and ended up surprising myself. Of the two

Anywho, I found
Vah Rudania
an easier dungeon to solve as well, but that's because while I was doing
Vah Ruta
first, I didn't realize that you actually took control of the thing through your map until i walked around aimlessly through the same 5 rooms for an hour. I don't even remember what made me realize I could control it. I found
Waterblight
the most annoying of the four since you can't do anything while swimming.

DrArchon

Just to clarify... if I buy a Zelda Amiibo... like Wind Waker Link.... I can get a cool looking classic green outfit... right...?

If you buy an amiibo of Link, you can get a tunic corresponding to the game that Link is from. WW Link gets you the WW set, OoT Link gets you the OoT set, etc.

They are 3 rare drops to make up a full set though, and they're very costly to upgrade.

Pinky

Banned

Lol!

Anywho, I found
Vah Rudania
an easier dungeon to solve as well, but that's because while I was doing
Vah Ruta
first, I didn't realize that you actually took control of the thing through your map until i walked around aimlessly through the same 5 rooms for an hour. I don't even remember what made me realize I could control it. I found
Waterblight
the most annoying of the four since you can't do anything while swimming.

I actually picked up pretty quick on the fact that you can
control/manipulate the beasts while inside of them. Vah Rudania
was a lot more fun than
Vah Ruta
. The theme was great as well. And, yeah,
having to swim between the platforms and avoid WBG's attacks was a pain in the ass

maxcriden

Kakariko
Vah Ruta
Vah Rudania

You know, Pinky, this matches our main story progression regarding
Divine Beasts
*exactly* - down to giving up at
Vah Ruta
for the same reason, moving on to Death Mountain, and beating
Vah Rudania.
Granted we went to
Hateno Village
before
Kakariko
, and after a total of 100+ hours we still haven't gotten back to
Vah Ruta or any other part of the main-most story
, but it's still interesting that we had the same progression with those
Divine Beasts

Even though
Zora's Domain
is closer to
Kakariko Village
than Death Mountain is, IIRC the Adventure Log lists the latter first when listing the
Divine Beasts
so I figured that was the first the game was suggesting we attempt. I think the enemies on the way to
Zora's Domain
seemed tougher than on the way up Death Mountain, so I figured the intended order as per the Adventure Log (but that's just speculation, I could be way off in that assumption, and certainly the proximity of
Kakariko Village to Zora's Domain
on the map would indicate I'm incorrect in thinking this.

I have over 100 seeds and I haven't even explored the volcanic area...

As I have said some time ago, I'm still trying to search for the fucking heroine statue (the side quest says there's a specialist in Gerudo Town but I can't seem to find her) and now I'm stuck looking for the leviathan bones in the snow area too. I swear to God I have looked everywhere in the northwest area.

Ugh.

As I have said some time ago, I'm still trying to search for the fucking heroine statue (the side quest says there's a specialist in Gerudo Town but I can't seem to find her) and now I'm stuck looking for the leviathan bones in the snow area too. I swear to God I have looked everywhere in the northwest area.

Ugh.
A subtle hint about the bones if you'll take it:

Talk to NPCs traveling to and from the nearby stable.

Another subtle hint, but a little less subtle than the one above:

Shield-surfing minigame.

Feel free to ignore, of course!

Where are you talking to him? He can be found in different locations and tells you different things depending on where he is. You should talk to him at the cabin.

Got my switch last Sunday and have been playing almost every day in it so far. I've gotten to 15 hearts, just got my second full wheel of stamina, and I completed the map entirely (didn't realize there was one more tower in the bottom and accidently made my way to Eventide Island. I had to reset an older save (thankfully coming out of the shrine in the water there was the last one) because I ain't doing that shit yet.

I just hunted down the last memory in the tower and I'm pretty afraid to go after Ganon...although I do have all 4 beasts done.

Can someone explain the timing of the laser, and that works for all Guardians right; the regular ones and the flying ones? I havent been able to do it correctly I don't think yet, I got saved with Daruk's power but that's not good enough.

Do the ones near the castle have more health as well? It seemed like the few I dealt with climbing up to Zelda's room were much stronger than others? Even using the Guardian arrows on the flying drones seemed to not do as much.

Pinky

Banned
You know, Pinky, this matches our main story progression regarding
Divine Beasts
*exactly* - down to giving up at
Vah Ruta
for the same reason, moving on to Death Mountain, and beating
Vah Rudania.
Granted we went to
Hateno Village
before
Kakariko
, and after a total of 100+ hours we still haven't gotten back to
Vah Ruta or any other part of the main-most story
, but it's still interesting that we had the same progression with those
Divine Beasts

Even though
Zora's Domain
is closer to
Kakariko Village
than Death Mountain is, IIRC the Adventure Log lists the latter first when listing the
Divine Beasts
so I figured that was the first the game was suggesting we attempt. I think the enemies on the way to
Zora's Domain
seemed tougher than on the way up Death Mountain, so I figured the intended order as per the Adventure Log (but that's just speculation, I could be way off in that assumption, and certainly the proximity of
Kakariko Village to Zora's Domain
on the map would indicate I'm incorrect in thinking this.

That's cool! I definitely agree that the road to
Zora's Domain
, initially, was a lot more difficult than traversing DM. My decision to make another attempt on
Vah Ruta
came down to the fact that I felt a lot more experienced in the world. As it stands, I have the
fully upgraded Soldier armor set, semi-upgraded Ancient armor set, the top row of heart containers fully accounted for, the Master Sword, and I've made it a hobby to fearlessly hunt Guardians and salvage their parts. Regardless of all that, I STILL found the boarding of Vah Ruta to be a challenge. The key is to HEAVILY load up on regular arrows and shock arrows.

Speely

Banned
Got my switch last Sunday and have been playing almost every day in it so far. I've gotten to 15 hearts, just got my second full wheel of stamina, and I completed the map entirely (didn't realize there was one more tower in the bottom and accidently made my way to Eventide Island. I had to reset an older save (thankfully coming out of the shrine in the water there was the last one) because I ain't doing that shit yet.

I just hunted down the last memory in the tower and I'm pretty afraid to go after Ganon...although I do have all 4 beasts done.

Can someone explain the timing of the laser, and that works for all Guardians right; the regular ones and the flying ones? I havent been able to do it correctly I don't think yet, I got saved with Daruk's power but that's not good enough.

Do the ones near the castle have more health as well? It seemed like the few I dealt with climbing up to Zelda's room were much stronger than others? Even using the Guardian arrows on the flying drones seemed to not do as much.

Lasers: I pretty much parry just after I see the eye flash, give or take a split second or so for distance. A tad later at long range and try to hit it directly on at close range. Works most of the time, but medium range seems easiest for the visual timing, to me, so I tend to try to distance myself a bit before the blast if they are all up on me.

I noticed that the castle guardians seemed healthier as well, though I am not sure since I was not wearing certain clothing that would confirm it.

Ugh.

The statue is hidden in plain view on the map.

KingBroly

Banned
I could tell you some places to camp for the blue and red dragons that worked for me.

For the red dragon,
If you set up a fire on top of the Eldin Great Leviathan Skull, and wait till morning, he usually spawns around 8 a.m. He'll fly down from the sky and come right next to the giant skeleton. I did it 3 times in a row the other day.

For the blue dragon,
Set up a fire on top of the Lanayru Road East Gate and wait til night time. The dragon will spawn at the top of the mountain and fly right over the gate. He'll be so close that you could use a melee weapon on him.

It's not a matter of knowing where to camp. It's a matter of them not appearing after I engage in the process.

Sh0k

Finally 120 shrines but in my Quest Shrines list is saying that I'm missing one quest. Does anybody has a link with a complete list of Quest Shrines to see which one I'm missing?

Regarding the dragons:

The first one I encountered was in some snowy mountain, Lanyru I think,
and I had some insanely epic battle where I was paragliding and shooting arrows to get teh evilness off it. All the other dragons I've seen seem to by flying around of their own volition.

Is it just the one that you engage with as a "boss battle?" It was so f'n cool I was hoping to have to do it for other dragons.

Speely

Banned
Regarding the dragons:

The first one I encountered was in some snowy mountain, Lanyru I think,
and I had some insanely epic battle where I was paragliding and shooting arrows to get teh evilness off it. All the other dragons I've seen seem to by flying around of their own volition.

Is it just the one that you engage with as a "boss battle?"

Yes.

maxcriden

That's cool! I definitely agree that the road to
Zora's Domain
, initially, was a lot more difficult than traversing DM. My decision to make another attempt on
Vah Ruta
came down to the fact that I felt a lot more experienced in the world. As it stands, I have the
fully upgraded Soldier armor set, semi-upgraded Ancient armor set, the top row of heart containers fully accounted for, the Master Sword, and I've made it a hobby to fearlessly hunt Guardians and salvage their parts. Regardless of all that, I STILL found the boarding of Vah Ruta to be a challenge. The key is to HEAVILY load up on regular arrows and shock arrows.

Man, I am a bit dreading trying that boarding again haha. I thought with the # of shock arrows we have (over 100) we'd be all set but I found the aiming very tricky (granted we've had a lot more experience in the game since then). I forgot regular arrows are needed for it also, but at least those are easier to load up on. Thanks, I'll definitely let you know how it goes. I'm sure it was satisfying to get past!

Yes, there's a specific set per amiibo as mentioned, however there's
another set you can get
without amiibo.
The way to get
it is completing all 120 shrines
I actually prefer
that set since it has more armor than any of the amiibo sets and it's easier (or at least more fun) to upgrade (dragon parts instead of tons of star fragments). And I think it can also be dyed unlike the amiibo sets which definitely can't

Top Bottom