• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

FinalAres

Hi again Jackstin. Glad you were able to make some progress! I wanted to offer you a few more tips in case they are helpful:

1) Only one of the four Plateau shrines will require you to be warm to get to it. There is another way to reach one of the two shrines in or near the cold area.

2) Make sure when cooking with ingredients you use a cookpot to get their buffs. If you cook them on the fire, you'll get more hearts but no buffs. If you mix buffs (like a heat-resisting ingredient with a defense-increasing ingredient) you will get neither effect. Also, it is not a requirement you cook with multiple kinds of ingredients. Cooking with peppers only for example will still give you the effects of the peppers.

3) Basically, what ridley182 said. Certain ingredients grow where you would environmentally expect them to. If you need to find more peppers, for example, they may be around the base of the chillier area. The "grows where you'd expect" aspect will be useful to you in exploring the game. Also, the Old Man has a place where he leaves some food laying around, that may be of use to you.

4) The lit stick will help keep you warm but will make it hard to do much else while you're holding it. So you may find it useful to use the other ingredients as well.

I hope exploration becomes more interesting to you when you get off the Plateau. I know it did for us. I also find much of the fun of exploration is in finding Koroks and finding interesting shrines, gear or people, so, perhaps you will enjoy that aspect too.

I was really surprised to learn that also. It's also amazing when you come across a salesperson 100+ hours in selling items you thought you could only get in the wild
(raw meat salesman who walks by Dueling Peaks stable)

Yeah I quickly realised I'd need to do cooking! Haha. Worked out how to light the pot but couldn't work out how to use the cook pot. Had to look it up online. I feel like the selecting items to hold isn't a very intuitive system but the cooking made sense.

I'm glad you told me that one items effects would overwrite another's. I don't know how I would have realised otherwise. I tried cooking a pepper and something else, went into the cold area and died.

I am enjoying this game more now, but I think from all the reviews I was expecting something where if you could imagine you could do it, you can. Instead it seems to be a game where there is lots of cool stuff to do but it isn't necessarily intuitive so you have to trial and error/experiment as a result. For example I liked that you could shoot down ropes to make a platform fall, but was disapppinted that I couldn't chop down the wood struts to make the platform collapse. Maybe I was expecting too much.

SM239

Can someone explain the timing of the laser, and that works for all Guardians right; the regular ones and the flying ones? I havent been able to do it correctly I don't think yet, I got saved with Daruk's power but that's not good enough.
The timing for the parry is right before the laser is about to hit your shield. There is no specific timing for when to parry after the guardian fires the laser since it all depends on how far the laser needs to travel before hitting your shield. You sort of just need to get a feel for it. Just try to find a distance that you feel comfortable parrying from and try to maintain that spacing.
Reflected lasers can hit all guardian types and deal 500 damage though the flying ones are a bit tricky since they wobble a bit while flying and the reflected laser could miss. It takes 3 parried lasers to take out a fully functional guardian (1500HP) and 1 parry to take out a decayed guardian(500HP). If you don't want to deal with the laser at all shoot them in the eye with any type of arrow to stun them and cancel their laser charge.

Do the ones near the castle have more health as well? It seemed like the few I dealt with climbing up to Zelda's room were much stronger than others? Even using the Guardian arrows on the flying drones seemed to not do as much.

The guardian turrets (look like flying guardians but with no propellers) are only seen around the castle. They have the same amount of health as every flying and walking guardian in the game (1500HP). All guardians can be taken out with one ancient arrow if hit in the eye. Also you can pick up ancient arrows that missed a target and hit a wall or something (This does not work with arrows fired from multishot bows)

Pinky

Banned
Man, I am a bit dreading trying that boarding again haha. I thought with the # of shock arrows we have (over 100) we'd be all set but I found the aiming very tricky (granted we've had a lot more experience in the game since then). I forgot regular arrows are needed for it also, but at least those are easier to load up on. Thanks, I'll definitely let you know how it goes. I'm sure it was satisfying to get past!

It sure was! I immediately saved the game before entering the beast. I wasn't gonna do that shit again, lol. What gave me the most trouble was
rememebring which waterfalls I had already ascended and which ones I hadn't(when shooting the orbs). If I went up a waterfall where the orb had already been destroyed, I would try to make the best of my slip up and aim for the other orb further off to the side(if I hadn't already destroyed it). Because it was further away, I was never able to hit them and would drop back down onto the Zora dude. It's so easy to get disoriented and not remember which waterfalls you need to ascend because you're so focused on taking out the ice blocks and spikes the beast hurls at you. By the time he takes you up close to the beast again, you have seconds to remember/decide if you need to ascend this waterfall or the next one or the one after that! Grrrrrr!!!

FinalAres

One of the cool things about this game, you can go off the beaten path and play as you want to play. For instance, I secured all of the heat/cold/fire resist armor before really getting into the meat of the game. Made things a whole hell of a lot more enjoyable for me as the dependence on food and potions for those resists became unnecessary very quickly and I could explore and enjoy the game without restraints.
Out of interest, did you use a guide? At this point I'm wondering whether using my a guide for a few core things might make my game more enjoyable.

mindatlarge

Out of interest, did you use a guide? At this point I'm wondering whether using my a guide for a few core things might make my game more enjoyable.
Yeah, I did for the armor. Where the armor was located and what had to be done to get it. I also used a guide to find the climbing gear locations...as you get it from shrines and such, made the game a lot more accessible especially if you would like to get more hearts than stamina initially, though I still had to use some stamina food at times until I did more shrines to increase my stamina. It's all how you want to play though, but if you're anything like me, I like just putting on some armor when venturing about instead of burning through food and being on a timer.

Pinky

Banned

Sorry to jump in on the conversation, but I, personally, have not used a guide even once. I can't even tell you how many hours I've devoted to the game(it's A LOT), but every minute of exploration and discovery, without referencing a guide, has been very satisfying. If you can avoid using a guide, I would highly suggest this route. It feels very rewarding.

Memles

Man, I am a bit dreading trying that boarding again haha. I thought with the # of shock arrows we have (over 100) we'd be all set but I found the aiming very tricky (granted we've had a lot more experience in the game since then). I forgot regular arrows are needed for it also, but at least those are easier to load up on. Thanks, I'll definitely let you know how it goes. I'm sure it was satisfying to get past!

Spoiler, but you don't need regular arrows:
You can use Cryonis to break the ice blocks as they hurdle toward you, which I 100% did not know when I actually did it.

Pinky

Banned
Spoiler, but you don't need regular arrows:
You can use Cryonis to break the ice blocks as they hurdle toward you, which I 100% did not know when I actually did it.

Shit!!!! Why didn't I think of this?????? That sounds so much easier!

Yeah, I did for the armor. Where the armor was located and what had to be done to get it. I also used a guide to find the climbing gear locations...as you get it from shrines and such, made the game a lot more accessible especially if you would like to get more hearts than stamina initially, though I still had to use some stamina food at times until I did more shrines to increase my stamina. It's all how you want to play though, but if you're anything like me, I like just putting on some armor when venturing about instead of burning through food and being on a timer.
Seems odd to use a guide for that.. the dungeons are not the meat of the game. The meat of the game is exploring and finding this stuff naturally. I guess whatever makes you happier, but that seems like a quick way to spoil what is truly special about the game.

FinalAres

Sorry to jump in on the conversation, but I, personally, have not used a guide even once. I can't even tell you how many hours I've devoted to the game(it's A LOT), but every minute of exploration and discovery, without referencing a guide, has been very satisfying. If you can avoid using a guide, I would highly suggest this route. It feels very rewarding.
I'm feeling it might be nice to use a guide for the special clothing and nothing else. Would that ruin the experience?

I've just used a guide for cooking so far, but I did want to go guide free because of what people have said.

Pinky

Banned
I'm feeling it might be nice to use a guide for the special clothing and nothing else. Would that ruin the experience?

I've just used a guide for cooking so far, but I did want to go guide free because of what people have said.

I don't think it would ruin it, no. However, I still think there's a great sense of reward when discovering things on your own. When I felt stuck or frustrated, I would just try different things. Talk to people, explore uncharted areas, etc... Maybe I've been lucky, but things just fell into place for me. Regardless, you should play the game in whichever fashion gives you the most enjoyable experience. Everyone's different. :)

Seems odd to use a guide for that.. the dungeons are not the meat of the game. The meat of the game is exploring and finding this stuff naturally. I guess whatever makes you happier, but that seems like a quick way to spoil what is truly special about the game.
The funny thing is I did look up online where the last piece of
climbing gear was and it turns out it was a shrine I had actually visited to and walked out because it was a major test of strength. Turns out major tests of strength were about the same challenge as moderate to me
. I found that to be pretty amusing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The funny thing is I did look up online where the last piece of
climbing gear was and it turns out it was a shrine I had actually visited to and walked out because it was a major test of strength. Turns out major tests of strength were about the same challenge as moderate to me
. I found that to be pretty amusing.

Once you have the weapons from the moderate tests of strength the major ones aren't hard at all. It's just a matter of having the right level of weapon.

mindatlarge

Different strokes for different folks. We all play games in different ways for our personal enjoyment, and not for the enjoyment of others. For me, I liked having the armor on-hand when I needed it and not waiting until I stumbled upon it by chance.

FinalAres

I don't think it would ruin it, no. However, I still think there's a great sense of reward when discovering things on your own. When I felt stuck or frustrated, I would just try different things. Talk to people, explore uncharted areas, etc... Maybe I've been lucky, but things just fell into place for me. Regardless, you should play the game in whichever fashion gives you the most enjoyable experience. Everyone's different. :)
I've only just started so I'll give the guide free route a crack.

Pinky

Banned
I've only just started so I'll give the guide free route a crack.

I'm assuming you're still on the Great Plateau? If so, I'll tell you this... There were a few times I was clueless on what to do next. All I can suggest is talk to the old man before and after doing certain things. Select different responses when conversing with him. Exhaust your options. You might be surprised. ;)

Went to maze island today.
Jumped down the shaft with the air flow and nearly got a double heart attack. First when I thought all those guardians were deactivated and suddenly one gets active. I manage to beat it, grab the chest and suddenly 4-5 guardians activate..
Hauled ass and got out there as fast as possible..

Started it yesterday and I am only 7 hours in but I love it so far. I played most Zelda games but I never finished a single one because they got boring for me. But more RPG-elements, that fantasticly designed world and the freedom seems right up my alley. It really encourages you to explore the world and fiddle around with the physics. It's fantastic how everything reacts to your actions.

I am playing the Wii U version. It looks a bit shitty on my 52" TV because of dreadful textures and aliasing but playing on the tablet solves most of the problems. I think it looks really nice on the smaller screen and I don't even mind the framedrops. I also use the very well done official guide book when I need it. It already helped me with one of the shrines, because I am really impatient when it comes down to puzzles.

GRW810

I unlocked Hebra tower minutes before saving and turning the game off in my last session. Just started exploring it properly. Stumbled across the bowling game (fluked one strike but can't repeat it) and the stable/shrine within ten minutes.

Then spent half an hour wandering around seeing nothing but snow. I wouldn't yet say the region is barren but I hope there is more to it if I search further.

Red

Found a spiral-shaped peninsula off he coast in akkala. Landed in the center, saw an orb pedestal. Worked backward to find an orb, taking out many moblin and lizalfos as I went. As I finished off a camp of three moblin around a campfire, the ominous blood moon music began to play. Malice began to rise from the ground. My weapons were badly damaged. I considered how best to proceed, and then did what any resourceful hero would do:
cheese my way through the blood moon by warping to a shrine and hiding until after midnight.

This game is astoundingly good.

R.D.Blax

Hyrule Castle spoilers:
Can't believe there are Korok even here. Nothing can stop them from finding the perfect hiding spot

Pinky

Banned
Jumped down the shaft with the air flow and nearly got a double heart attack. First when I thought all those guardians were deactivated and suddenly one gets active. I manage to beat it, grab the chest and suddenly 4-5 guardians activate..

Is this the cube-shaped structure in the northeastern corner of the map?

Adam Blue

After I
found that, I was farming to max my ancient gear! I didn't buy the helmet though, because I had another guardian headpiece, but to max that requires different materials,
so I might as well go buy the ancient helmet.

Crayolan

I unlocked Hebra tower minutes before saving and turning the game off in my last session. Just started exploring it properly. Stumbled across the bowling game (fluked one strike but can't repeat it) and the stable/shrine within ten minutes.

Then spent half an hour wandering around seeing nothing but snow. I wouldn't yet say the region is barren but I hope there is more to it if I search further.

Hebra has the most well hidden shrines in the game, look very carefully.

Hebra was a region I was initially concerned about because of comments here, but I ended up really liking it. Both it and Gerudo Mountains are areas I love: Hebra because of how dense the region is with shrines and interesting geography, and the Gerudo Mountains because I could not find the tower and was wandering around in the cold, hostile dark for an hour in what was probably the purest adventuring experience I had ever had in a game. Stumbling upon super powerful enemies and ruins in the Gerudo Mountains gave it this unique atmosphere of fear and wonder. It honestly made me wish I had held off on finding towers for more areas until after exploring more.

Zedark

Wow, that is the final battle done with! It kinda makes me feel empty inside lol, this game has been amazing and I had been putting off going to Ganon for quite some time because I didn't want it to end. If anyone cares, here's my thoughts on the game (I will spoiler tag whatever is spoilery):

- The Open World: The Open World is probably the best open world I have played in ever. My personal feelings are that The Elder Scrolls series has the best worlds: the world always feels grounded, yet is fantastical and full of surprises and great geography. I got the same feeling in BOTW, and something more: the world was not only a place I traversed, but it was one big playground. I can go wherever I want, literally: I can scale mountains, fly throughout the world, and
swim up waterfalls
. There are no limits to where you can go, and I greatly appreciate that. The amount of content in the open world is also very good: there are plenty of enemy camps, as well as powerful enemies littered throughout the world, that make for challenging combat encounters that enhance the pace of the open world, giving a good variety in activity between the traversing and climbing. The shrines are really fun: some are easy to find, but plenty require solving an environmental puzzle or venturing into the nooks and crannies of the world, meaning you have to do your best to find the shrines and get the bonus they give you.

- Combat: I liked the combat. It was pretty simple, but the variety of weapons (and the way you are forced to actually use different weapons) made it entertaining, and the challenge that some enemies provide kept it interesting. But the combat mechanics are not the star of the show: the powers are. There is nothing more satisfying than slamming enemies down with a metal box that you lift with your magnesis power, or than taunting your enemies towards a bomb and blasting them through the air. The variety of applications of these powers make combat situations a potential puzzle, and that is some great gameplay design by Nintendo.

- Dungeons (will spoiler the whole bit, so be warned if you do read!):
The dungeons are nothing outstanding. They are a unique idea and have interesting mechanics what with the alteration of the dungeon itself via the map feature, but in the end it didn't feel like enough to make them truly special. The boss battles are decent,
though some didn't really feel like boss battles due to the fact that it was way too easy to just straight up attack them frontally and kill them that way. I had fun in the dungeons, and they complement the open world very well, but in terms of quality (and quantity too), they could have upped things a little bit in my opinion. The final dungeons,
Hyrule Castle (STOP READING HERE IF YOU DON'T WANT HYRULE CASTLE SPOILERS!), was really fun, and the reason for that is that it uses what makes this game so great, i.e. open traversal, and gives you a mini sandbox with lethal enemies littered throughout, so you can approach the situation in many different ways.
My first scouting venture into Hyrule Castle was done without attacking any of the sentries, and I scaled the castle from the western side all the way to the entrance of the castle proper. My second attempt just before engaging Ganon was more traditional,
following the roads and taking out enemies. Both approaches were enormous fun and really showed that they can do dungeon design really well in this game, which is kinda disappointing in retrospect since only one dungeon makes the most of the game's potential. The final battle itself against Ganon was very entertaining, at least the first two stages. It really demanded you used the techniques and combat finesse you learned throughout your playthrough of the game, and put it in a decently challenging battle that felt very satisfying. The last part, where you shoot areas on Ganon's body, was really underwhelming in comparison, and felt more like a winding down than the final part of the battle, which I found a bit disappointing. All in all, they did a good job with the dungeons and the final boss, but it could have been done a bit better still.

I am extremely impressed by this game: you can tell it uses lessons learned from some modern open world games like Skyrim and applied this is the best way possible: the world design reminds of the best of Skyrim, while the combat and general gameplay is much better and more fun than TES. As a result, I feel the game is deserving of being my new number one favourite game of all time, dethroning Oblivion and ending its 10 year reign. Congrats to Nintendo, they crafted an absolute masterpiece that many will fondly remembers for years, if not decades.

Hebra has the most well hidden shrines in the game, look very carefully.
I'm having a reeeaaaaal tough time finding my very last shrine. I think I'm going to start looking a little more closely at Hebra. Problem is I already found a bunch of them in that area, so there aren't any conspicuous shrine gaps. For example I already found the
great skeleton one, the one you can see through the cliff, the one hidden in the bird's stomach, and the frozen one.

By Castle Town Prison, there are three statues (Korok puzzle) with rusted Knight shields in the pedestals in front of two of them. How do I put the third one on the empty pedestal? Do I have to stand perfectly to drop it in place? Can't seem to get this to work.

Zedark

By Castle Town Prison, there are three statues (Korok puzzle) with rusted Knight shields in the pedestals in front of two of them. How do I put the third one on the empty pedestal? Do I have to stand perfectly to drop it in place? Can't seem to get this to work.
Yeah, the shield falls a bit behind you, so you have to try a few times.

kiri

Anyone know a good site that'll tell me the best things to cook? I'm 50+ shrines but have barely cooked anything thus far and have thousands of ingredients...

Monger

Anyone know a good site that'll tell me the best things to cook? I'm 50+ shrines but have barely cooked anything thus far and have thousands of ingredients...

Not sure any sites.

Bananas for attack up. A hearty radish or two for full hearts + extra hearts. Stamela mushrooms for stamina.

Other than region or side quest specific items that's about all I really used. Mixing ingredients was never a real benefit otherwise.

The farther you get into the game, the less need there is to cook since you are using Spirit Orbs and unlocking
special abilities from the Guardians.
Unless there's some crazy top secret recipes I'm not aware of. Kept a couple Haste, Attack and Defense elixers around and that's all I really needed after a certain point. I did like how it felt necessary to cook to survive early on and then gradually not needed to do so. Fun mechanic, but it could have got tedious after 60+ hours.

Koren

I think you're doing something wrong, I don't think I needed more than 5 or 6 arrows (only shock ones), and while it was a nice part of the game, I found it to be one of the easiest. You have plently of time to aim with this bullet time*.

Apparently it has been said, but yes,
using cryonis
is the key to defend yourself.

* this bullet time is also really useful against
guardians
too... I've used fire wands to create up currents only to be able to use the paraglide to get the bullet time for aiming.

Kyzer

Banned
Chef of the wild mobile app

Also recommend just learning how cooking works recipes are only necessary for cool unique stuff like fried egg and rice, once you know how cooking works you dont need to know recipes at all.

Famassu

As far as health goes, 1-2 hearty anything + fruits = full health + a few temporary ones

Koren

Full health + 10-20 green hearts
durians + max radish(?)

Full stamina + additional stamina
Endura carrots

+3 attack or +3 defense
meat + 4 mushrooms
(also works for other stats, obviously)

I can't see myself using others, equipment cover all the other needs...

oti

Banned
I thought finding all the memories and defeating Ganon would free me from this game. But now I just can't stop thinking about it and wanting to go back.

I'm going to force myself to play Persona 5, but I can see myself coming back to BotW for years.

I finished it a few days ago and yet keep thinking about it while playing other games. I hope the new map feature will be worthwhile, otherwise I'll be back for the Holiday DLC. I do have 10 shrines left though. 🤔

Socreges

Banned
So I just did the Bravery's Grasp shrine. Managed to get to the top, but it didn't feel right....there were a couple environmental objects that I never exploited and my way felt like a hack. So I looked up how to do it:

The Nintendo way:

Grab the beam block (didn't know you could do this) and place it on the moving platform. Move along the shrine as the platforms move each time. Simple.

My way:

Place two bombs (square and round)
at some distance from the diamond key. Far enough that they don't explode each other, but close enough to trigger the key. Get on the back platforms and use arrows to move along. Then jump onto the step platforms. Trigger bomb 1, move forward. Trigger bomb 2, move forward. Then I was stuck. Tried throwing the bomb over the wall. Repeatedly. Kept failing. So I managed to stand onto an ornamental piece and throw the bomb from there. Detonated.
And I'm up.

Simultaneously proud that I invented my own way but also ashamed that I had to.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I finished it a few days ago and yet keep thinking about it while playing other games. I hope the new map feature will be worthwhile, otherwise I'll be back for the Holiday DLC. I do have 10 shrines left though. 🤔

I find myself counting the days until the story DLC and hard mode. This game has a grip on me like no other.

Top Bottom