• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

Replaying this (on my Wii) and revisiting Beyond Good and Evil make me miss this style of game (Darksiders was ok, but the whole "edgier" vibe rubbed me the wrong way).

I am so tempted to get a 3DS just for this.

sfried

brianmcdoogle said:
Replaying this (on my Wii) and revisiting Beyond Good and Evil make me miss this style of game (Darksiders was ok, but the whole "edgier" vibe rubbed me the wrong way).

I am so tempted to get a 3DS just for this.
Go ahead and get it. The 3DS version feels so refined you'll lose track of time playing it.

Busaiku said:
I don't know if I got the exact proper order, I did have to backtrack a number of times, but it certainly wasn't frustrating or anything (it did take about 2.5 hours to get through).

Speed demon?! Ive been in this Water Temple going on over 3 hours now. I feel its easier and simpler than Jabu Jabu and the Forest Temple.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
angelfly said:
End of game spoiler:

:lol I'm surprised someone thought that was anyone other than Zelda. When I first played the game I thought it was pretty obvious who Sheik was. If not a troll then I guess it'll make the ending a bit special.

First time playing I thought
Sheik
was
Impa

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Finally cleared the Water Temple. The game notes feature got a lot of mileage there.
Kinda wish it was a game feature rather than an OS one. It'd be nice just to tap the map and make a note.

Muskweeto

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Finally cleared the Water Temple. The game notes feature got a lot of mileage there.
I can't wait for an original Zelda or something like it so I can take advantage of the note system.

sfried said:
Go ahead and get it. The 3DS version feels so refined you'll lose track of time playing it.

Too expensive. I don't like the idea of paying 40 dollars for a mobile game, the system is too pricey (I had reservations about buying a DS Lite back in the day), and it is pretty much the only game I want for the system. I'm not really into Kid Icarus (the original isn't that good) and I dunno. I try to buy systems when the cost of the games I am buying or interested in are equal to the cost of the device.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Man, playing this just makes it even more clear Zelda:OoT is the greatest game ever made.

sfried

brianmcdoogle said:
Too expensive. I don't like the idea of paying 40 dollars for a mobile game, the system is too pricey (I had reservations about buying a DS Lite back in the day), and it is pretty much the only game I want for the system. I'm not really into Kid Icarus (the original isn't that good) and I dunno. I try to buy systems when the cost of the games I am buying or interested in are equal to the cost of the device.
Then I don't know what to say. Pretty much you're making excuses for yourself at this point.

The games difficulty is literally the difference between light and day with the time periods. The four dungeons were brutally difficulty, while the temples have been, essentially tedious and time consuming, but easy. Din's fire/Longshot spamming seemed cheap but easily destroyed opponents. The games broken and stupid AI is honestly hilarious at this point...bosses cant hit corners, honestly. The Giant Aquatic Amoeba, Morpha, was a cakewalk.

Anyway, Into the Well!

RedHerring

Neo Member
Just wanted to say that it's really cool reading people's first time impressions of the game in this thread. I don't own a 3DS but I'm tempted to dig out my N64 cart and dive in too, even if the original is now inferior.

WinoMcCougarstein said:
Man, playing this just makes it even more clear Zelda:OoT is the greatest game ever made.

Yup. Amazing and the music sogood.gif, also you can really see how easy games of today have gotten in comparison. Not much hand holding in this at all.

Roto13

Dartastic said:
This is one of the reasons that I really think this game is fantastic. I kinda sorta played bits and pieces when I was younger, but the game really does almost literally make you put your big boy pants on when you move to the Forest Temple. It's like the first three dungeons are literally training areas, so when you get to the Forest Temple you really need to step it up a bit. Love it.

Also, I bet a lot of you think it's easier because you're older and more experienced. Honestly.
Yeah, it's definitely no easier than any other version. Seriously, aside from being prettied up and a few new optional input methods, it's exactly the same game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
OoT is one of those few games that stands the test of time and nostalgia. I expected to find the game had aged badly....and it hasn't! It's still as fantastic as I remember.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Just got this. The graphics and the 3D effect are better than I expected, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to the controls. Is this normal?

kiryogi

Banned
I ran into two issues in water temple that kept me going round and round for awhile trying my best to exhaust my options.

The first was missing the key above the room where you lower the water level. The second was indeed the one in the center room where you had to raise the water to raise the block.

Gotta say I'm a lot more reckless than when I played this 13 years ago. I found myself dying to the fire/water/shadow temple bosses. Luckily I had a bottled fairy for all those incidents. While in comparison, I was practically invincible back in the day. Hrmm. . . my recent playthru of Twlight Princess was actually a lot cleaner and efficent compared to my first. I have no idea why I'm eating it so hard.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
kiryogi said:
I ran into two issues in water temple that kept me going round and round for awhile trying my best to exhaust my options.

The first was missing the key above the room where you lower the water level. The second was indeed the one in the center room where you had to raise the water to raise the block.

Gotta say I'm a lot more reckless than when I played this 13 years ago. I found myself dying to the fire/water/shadow temple bosses. Luckily I had a bottled fairy for all those incidents. While in comparison, I was practically invincible back in the day. Hrmm. . . my recent playthru of Twlight Princess was actually a lot cleaner and efficent compared to my first. I have no idea why I'm eating it so hard.

I find myself getting my ass kicked more frequently because I'm less aware of how many hearts I have. Since its no longer see the heart meter on the top screen, I'm less aware that oh shit that Staflos just hit me for 3 hearts, I better avoid the lunge attacks!

watershed

Banned
Divvy said:
I find myself getting my ass kicked more frequently because I'm less aware of how many hearts I have. Since its no longer see the heart meter on the top screen, I'm less aware that oh shit that Staflos just hit me for 3 hearts, I better avoid the lunge attacks!

This has become an issue for me as well. Even though I know I just got hit I don't really consider how many hearts I have left. Thank god for faeries in bottles.

Kirby102

Hey, finally I can post in this thread. Just picked up the game just now.

Just wondering, in regards with some of the glitches in the N64 version, did they fix some of them?

I was trying to do the power crouch stab but it didn't do as it was supposed to... I was disheartened... I thought I could finish the game quicker like this lol.

Does anyone know if these things still work? (in the list on that link)

Divvy said:
Add me to that list. I have Master Quest unlocked, and I'm trying so hard to become extra cautious of my heart meter.

It's kinda bittersweet, though. Sometimes I feel "I can enjoy the game with seemingly unlimited health and have no worries" but when there's tons of action (5 baby Gohmas at once, first dungeon so you only have 3 hearts, Master Quest so they each take 1 heart away) it gets nerve-wracking fast.

RaidenZR

sfried said:
And is it just me, or is this game hard because enemies respond quicker (likely from the framerate increase)? I almost got a Game Over from that
Stalfos encounter from the Forest Temple
because of how they really took chunks of my health. I don't recall them doing ridiculous amounts of damage like this...not to mentions their
resurrection period is much, much shorter
. Even with the jump attack abuse I've actually felt like I was on the edge...and I never felt like that with OoT before in subsequent playthroughs.

Only reason I lived was because of a spare Fairy in a bottle. Holy shit.

I had a huuuuge problem with that Stalfos encounter last night. Pissed me off. There is definitely an issue because they were lunging through my shield and damaging me 50% of the time. Never had this problem with Stalfos before.

schennmu said:
Almost, but the crappy analog pad reminds me of reality most of the time.
The only thing I didn't like about the slide pad is that it's not gated, so I can't run straight ahead. I always go slightly left or right.

Besides that, doing quick spin attacks is now the best thing ever. It's like the slide pad was made to do them. It's especially important in Master Quest, when you have like 5 enemies and 3 hearts.

Why would you do that? said:
Besides that, doing quick spin attacks is now the best thing ever. It's like the slide pad was made to do them. It's especially important in Master Quest, when you have like 5 enemies and 3 hearts.

Huh. I can't do a quick spin attack to save my life on the 3DS.

Don't play this game in a bus or car. I found that if you're trying to aim with any of the first person weapons, as soon as the vehicle turns a corner it throws your aiming off whack and you have to wait for a long straight so you can actually aim.

That's a problem in the UK, where the number of properly straight roads can be counted on one hand.

RaidenZR

schennmu said:

Yeah I'll agree. I have a hard time using the slider pad on some of the thinner beams you're forced to walk along. It's lost a lot of the nudgeable nuance an analog stick provided so it's now become a pain for slow, precise navigation. And the dpad of the 3DS is pretty awful, based on my playtime with Link's Awakening. Nintendo really cheaped out on the controls. Big time.

Still, hasn't stopped me from watching hours of my life go by playing two fine Zelda games. They definitely transcend the crappy hardware decisions.

I can see why many claim this game to be the greatest ever made. If there were in fact a game to justify a 3DS purchase, even if it were a 12-year-old game remade to today's standards, Ocarina Of Time would be the game to do it.

After this I guess I'll get started on that Twilight Princess playthrough I've been putting off for three years.

=HERO=

Neo Member
Android18a said:
Don't play this game in a bus or car. I found that if you're trying to aim with any of the first person weapons, as soon as the vehicle turns a corner it throws your aiming off whack and you have to wait for a long straight so you can actually aim.

That's a problem in the UK, where the number of properly straight roads can be counted on one hand.

If it helps, you can either turn off motion in the options to make it analog only, or you can use analog to fine tune/recenter vision even when motion is on (end up doing that a bit even sitting at my desk and using motion :p).

butter_stick said:
Kinda wish it was a game feature rather than an OS one. It'd be nice just to tap the map and make a note.
I feel the exact opposite, being an OS feature means I have it in every game, otherwise I'd have to rely on devs to actually include it. And the process is quite fast.

The Xtortionist said:
Huh. I can't do a quick spin attack to save my life on the 3DS.
Super easy for me.

Lonely1 said:
Just got this. The graphics and the 3D effect are better than I expected, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to the controls. Is this normal?
Adjusting to the slide pad or more general problems?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Once Im done with 1st play thru, Im gonna go straight to masterquest but finish the game with 3 hearts just to add more difficulty for myself.

maeda

schennmu said:
Are you serious??? Nub feels amazing! It's incredibly responsive, much more than expected it to be!

thetrin said:
OoT is one of those few games that stands the test of time and nostalgia. I expected to find the game had aged badly....and it hasn't! It's still as fantastic as I remember.

One of the few 'what'?

Games before PS2?

Don't make me laugh.

Gravijah

zero margin said:
Just did that part too, spent 10-12 hours or so far just getting to that. Damn side quests.

Jeez, only 5 hours so far and I'm a pretty slow gamer. I'm sure I've got quite a few side quests I still need to do, though.

_Alkaline_ said:
One of the few 'what'?

Games before PS2?

Don't make me laugh.
*scratches head* There are shittons of great pre-PS2-era games. Quake 3 for instance is still one of the best FPS multiplayer experiences ever created (best for me but there are those UT plebs out there and I don't want to hurt their feelings).

Top Bottom