• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

mileS said:
I don't have the game yet, but everybody that does has been saying yes.

Actually, I don't think it is. Definitely seems a little smoother in 2D. Also, far less jarring playing in 2D when occasionally glancing at the inventory screen.

I never noticed that hanged man before although I've seen that MM art plenty of times
MMHANG.png

-PXG-

Why did they have to release this on Father's Day. I'm going to be busy doing things for PXG sr. Plus, I'm either spending time with the missus or gonna be in NYC ALL day Monday. God damnit. I've been dying for a new 3DS game.

Fuck. Dat poster. Dat soundtrack.

EDIT

I will hate Nintendo forever if they don't give Majora's Mask its much deserved tribute and love. Remake the sumbitch. Seriously.

rhino4evr

A Majora Mask remake with the ability to place the subquests on the second screen would be amazing. Having to constantly pause was annoying.

Big One

Banned
rhino4evr said:
A Majora Mask remake with the ability to place the subquests on the second screen would be amazing. Having to constantly pause was annoying.
Completely agree with this. The Bomber's Notebook in use could use a much needed overhaul.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Minor annoyance.

The inventory system. Everything is in one big pool with no permanent placing so your bottles can be in different spots, spells, etc. Would like everything to go back to an assigned spot when not in use.

UberTag

Sgt.Pepper said:
What? I don't remember Ocarina being less vague than Wind Waker, or Twilight Princess. I don't understand this complain.
I find the complaint funny in that the only thing I value about game mechanics that tell me where to go next is that I know exactly what to AVOID doing in order to advance the plot. I'll go off adventuring and unearthing puzzles and heart containers and only once I've thoroughly exhausted every avenue that ISN'T "the thing I'm supposed to do next" will I go back and push things forward.

-PXG- said:
Why did they have to release this on Father's Day. I'm going to be busy doing things for PXG sr. Plus, I'm either spending time with the missus or gonna be in NYC ALL day Monday. God damnit. I've been dying for a new 3DS game.
The fact that this game is released on Father's Day makes the Robin Williams commercial spot just that much better. I don't think I'll see a better game commercial all year (although the Dead Space "your Mom hates this" campaign comes close).

UberTag said:
I find the complaint funny in that the only thing I value about game mechanics that tell me where to go next is that I know exactly what to AVOID doing in order to advance the plot. I'll go off adventuring and unearthing puzzles and heart containers and only once I've thoroughly exhausted every avenue that ISN'T "the thing I'm supposed to do next" will I go back and push things forward.
One of the best thing about Zelda is exploring the world, so this complain goes over my head.

Varjet

Sgt.Pepper said:
What? I don't remember Ocarina being less vague than Wind Waker, or Twilight Princess. I don't understand this complain.
I don't understand his complain about Epona and the fire arrows. Those aren't needed to beat the game.

The Lamp

UberTag said:

This post made me lol because it made me acknowledge the fact that I do this almost all the time in any non-linear adventure game.

Sgt.Pepper said:

The fire arrows clue pretty much told you to shoot your arrows at the sun and I don't even remember ALTTP blatantly telling gamers that you could resurrect a flying bird. I don't remember the clues for the Lens of Truth though.

Varjet

shadyspace said:
You need both Epona and the fire arrows to beat the game.
You only need the fire arrow if you don't have Din's Inferno. Epona is never required at any point (in the main quest).

Varjet said:
I don't understand his complain about Epona and the fire arrows. Those aren't needed to beat the game.
You do though.
Epona is needed to reach Gerudo Valley and the Fire Arrows to reach the get the iron boots (Ice Cave, if I remember well).

Edit:
Don't you need the Fire Arrows against the witches, and in Ganondorf's Tower?

Huh. I'd love to hear why Nintendo thought it necessary to make Epona non-essential then since that was a such a huge part of OoT. Also, I wonder if anyone actually did their first playthrough without Epona. That'd be weird as hell.

Gaming ignorance at it's finest. In alttp nintendo didnt' even tell you about the magic cape or the cane of bryna. You had to explore all on your own.

And as for the lens of truth the game had to play the song of storms and told you that a little kid taught the melody to the man in the windmill. If that isn't blatant enough then I don't know what is...

Reknoc

Sgt.Pepper said:

Yea this complaint makes no sense, the game can't seem to wait telling me exactly where I should be going.

shadyspace said:
Huh. I'd love to hear why Nintendo thought it necessary to make Epona non-essential then since that was a such a huge part of OoT.
She makes it possible to get the non-essential Biggoron's Sword. :)

She's just fun to have. A faster method to travel when warp points don't get you close enough.

shadyspace said:
Huh. I'd love to hear why Nintendo thought it necessary to make Epona non-essential then since that was a such a huge part of OoT. Also, I wonder if anyone actually did their first playthrough without Epona. That'd be weird as hell.

The teleportation songs more than made up for epona if you didn't get her

The Lamp

I never would have known how to get Epona had I not visited the ranch during the adult timeline. I hated the ranch so I avoided it until I just happened to stroll in one day. The rest is history.

Reknoc

I never had any problems with getting Epona, but then I thought being able to ride around on her was a really cool feature so it's always the first place I go to as soon as I'm adult Link.

So I just finished the main quest, my favourite OoT experience since I first played it. I've still got plenty to do, i'm getting those heart pieces, still got to do the Gerudo training grounds and add a certain novelty to Link's treehouse.
One thing that has me puzzled, about gold skulltullas, is it possible to screw yourself out of being able to get all 100? I might rise to the pointless challenge of getting them all.
Also i've got to beat the running man.......I wish.

Nocturnowl said:
So I just finished the main quest, my favourite OoT experience since I first played it. I've still got plenty to do, i'm getting those heart pieces, still got to do the Gerudo training grounds and add a certain novelty to Link's treehouse.
One thing that has me puzzled, about gold skulltullas, is it possible to screw yourself out of being able to get all 100? I might rise to the pointless challenge of getting them all.
Shit, they totally should have made this possible through some crazy convoluted means as an easter egg.

Nocturnowl said:
I don't believe so. You can get back to anywhere one might have been.

Nocturnowl said:
I don't think you can miss any.

CoolS

Anybody know how to unlock that Boss challenge thingy? I read you can do that when going to the bed in Links house, but somehow he only sleeps and thats it :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Question to those who have it already (and I'm sorry if this was asked before):

The Deku Nut upgrade in the Forest Stage--
was the glitch fixed so that you now do it after you become an adult (and get the Poacher's Saw--I think this was the trigger), and then come back to the woods later as a child with the Mask of Truth to get it? Or do you have to still try to do it with the Mask of Truth BEFORE you become an adult?

shadyspace said:
Shit, they totally should have made this possible through some crazy convoluted means as an easter egg.
They should have allowed the use of farore's wind, he'd still win mind you, he would have minus seconds.

Good to know that putting the beans in soft soil before the bugs hasn't messed up my skulltulla hunting, now I just need to remember how to get the scarecrow song working before I go hunting.
I've thought of another task, that Hylian loach! I've never even seen the creature.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hmmm... so I refreshed the promotion page again and got a 404 error. Now I notice Zelda 3DS has been registered, but no email confirming the CD.

Nice going NoE(!)

CoolS said:
Anybody know how to unlock that Boss challenge thingy? I read you can do that when going to the bed in Links house, but somehow he only sleeps and thats it :/

You have to speak to Sheik after becoming an adult. She then tells you you can go back to your house and replay old boss battles.

Nocturnowl said:

No. I just 100% completed OoT, and I beat the game regularly first before getting the rest of the stuff (Skulltulas, Heart Containers, Upgrades, extra items, Masks).

Madao

Dark Schala said:
Question to those who have it already (and I'm sorry if this was asked before):

The Deku Nut upgrade in the Forest Stage--
was the glitch fixed so that you now do it after you become an adult (and get the Poacher's Saw--I think this was the trigger), and then come back to the woods later as a child with the Mask of Truth to get it? Or do you have to still try to do it with the Mask of Truth BEFORE you become an adult?

we should have confirmation soon but in the meantime, don't get the poacher's saw since that was confirmed to be the trigger to that glitch (becoming adult doesn't trigger it)

Heh, turns out I was wrong about never playing Ocarina of Time. As soon as I started playing the game, it all came back to me - I played it at a friend's house back in '98. However, I think I only played it for like 15 minutes or something because I just cleared out the first dungeon and that was brand new to me.

But yeah, I'm enjoying it so far. Going to put more time into it tonight.

Sgt.Pepper said:
It's definitely vague compared to those two meaning it's also a bit more open. I miss the days when things weren't always spelt out to the player and games encouraged proper exploration.

Fuck You NoE.

Imcompetant Bastards

I want to register my damned game........ Damn you.

Give us all this lovely marketing data..... Thank you, my forms work nicely.
Want a free CD..... Form gone broke

Top Bottom