• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coflash

Apart from excessive bloom, the 2nd image looks better to me. Look at the rocks, the sea.

That's because the first image is largely wrong

The water isn't that flat in Wind Waker, a lot of things are missing there (look here, there's flowers, ripples, small waves etc), and as the 2nd image is apparently fake/not final/whatever, you're essentially comparing two versions of the game that do not exist.

Either way, emulating it on PC with max AA + a cranked up internal res, I personally wouldn't bother with this. For me it's all about the gameplay. It's an amazing game and the art style was timeless as it was, why not just make it display at a HD res (without the nextgenification (aka 'bloom all the things')) with a heap of new content instead?

Probably because a generation of gamers who continually scream 'graphics don't matter' are full of it, and aren't actually impressed unless the visual dials are all turned to 11.

NBtoaster

One last time:

This is non-final Pre-viz done as prep work for the next Zelda.

these scenes were not made with the intent of recreating WW visuals and as such should in no way be taken as the final aesthetic

And until we see screens with that intent behind it judging these shots is fucking stupid.

It's fine to judge. They wouldn't have released the screens if they weren't representitive of the current or target state of the visuals.

They're released to the public, there's no harm in giving feedback.

BY2K

Membero Americo
One last time:

This is non-final Pre-viz done as prep work for the next Zelda.

these scenes were not made with the intent of recreating WW visuals and as such should in no way be taken as the final aesthetic

And until we see screens with that intent behind it judging these shots is fucking stupid.

I did not know this.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
I can't believe how much people complain in todays sociaty. I love loving things. Its gonna play beautifully and look great. I don't get this hate everything attitude gamers have nowadays. It's crazy to me.

I would just like to add that i am super amped for this game! CAN NOT WAIT! LOOKS GLORIOUS

Kouriozan

I can't believe how much people complain in todays sociaty. I love loving things. Its gonna play beautifully and look great. I don't get this hate everything attitude gamers have nowadays. It's crazy to me.

It's easier to hate and complain than to enjoy something.
I can't wait too because it's one of the best Zelda game.

mantidor

You maybe missed the by everyone part... if to kid who has never played and is not into zelda aside this you ask for "the game with the green dude that looks like a cartoon" he immediately will point you to WW, the same with the more navigate gamer
if you want people to recognize this what will you say? what's the zelda with kid link? what one between zelda1 and everyone after since WW?
What's the zelda with the sea? what one between PH and WW?
Oh yeah i have one... What's the Zelda with uberbloom?
But i think i know your problem you actually do not see (or see too much i still don't get it) the graphical qualities of WW
while here you can actually see the depth of the things (you can recognize in where on the Z axis something is)

in the original cartoon style cel shading is a lot harder because looks of course like a cartoon (hence the people who wants the remake "flatter")

this believe it or not it's part of the artstyle and is also an huge part of its charm for a lot of people, remove that and you remove the charm.

Charm is incredibly subjective, that a banal thing like depth, in a game that looks 3d anyway, ruins it speaks tons about how absurd that argument is.

All you need to do is rotate the camera and the game evidently is a very 3d game, Okami is the game that actually does the "flat" look well, but it's inspired in old Japanese paintings so it should be a given.

Revven

They're released to the public, there's no harm in giving feedback.

Well, there's a difference between giving feedback vs bitching for 20+ pages about how Nintendo has butchered their favorite game from their childhood and acting like these are the 100% final visuals.

Hakai

And most complaints are nipticking, like the eyebrowns thing!

Yeah that was charming, but hey, maybe in this remake, it would not work so well.

I loved GC WW graphics, loved it, and WW is in my top 3 Zelda games.

But c'mon, the new screens are looking nice, different? SURE! But no way in hell lost that essence, the cartoon feeling is still there, and actually I want to see this thing in motion!!

monome

It's funny how a lot of people cry about the graphics of the Zelda which got the most hate for it's graphics.

Loved WW's graphics at first sight. best in the series IMO.
Bought it along a Panasonic Q and a Sharp LCD TV. Spent 4000€ for that setup.

Now I own a 1080p videoprojector and 5.1 surround system.

So I should be happy, right. Got love me some HDR . But on my previous setup the game was new, fresh, bold if not for everyone.

Since that time it's had two sequels.
And I want dem pretty graphics I can fire some Skyrim + mods right now.

So come on...this remake is Nintendo putting the middle finger to my face while making me remember it's given me great pleasure before and might possibly do so in the future. But for now they treat me like a bitch.
And this remake is a great looking girl looking at the ceiling while you fuck her.
So, yeah sex is good and I'm happy for those happy to get WWHD, but I'm not the kinda guy who fucks for fucking, even a good looking girl.
Might come back for the true Zelda WiiU, but only if I feel something special. I'm not asking for love. Not for a relationship. But good things are shared. WWHD is just Nintendo taking away my time and money while they try and figure out if the next Zelda should be built for core/hardcore/casual gamers.

So rally me fellow Gaffers and Nintendo Kids.
This is GAF, and Nintendo threatens our memories, they want to take away our next-gen, they want to collect our money and enslave us.

Let's throw them down the Pit. Maybe Yamaguchi will come back from ruling Hell and get them to actually care for grown up guys who are neither casual Dads nor Brownies.

I'm not Nintendo's bitch. I was. But I was young and thought the feeling was mutual. i've learned my lesson.

Revven

just watched the clip, couldn't see what part you were referencing. could you type it up please?

The part where Aonuma clearly states these are images from the various experiments they conducted after the E3 2011 Zelda Demo HD Experience. These could be as early as from then, or as late as last Fall. He makes it clear, from those sentences, that these were not taken recently.

So I should be happy, right. Got love me some HDR . But on my previous setup the game was new, fresh, bold if not for everyone.

So come on...this remake is Nintendo putting the middle finger to my face while making me remember it's given me great pleasure before and might possibly do so in the future. But for now they treat me like a bitch.
And this remake is a great looking girl looking at the ceiling while you fuck her.
So, yeah sex is good and I'm happy for those happy to get WWHD, but I'm not the kinda guy who fucks for fucking, even a good looking girl.
Might come back for the true Zelda WiiU, but only if I feel something special. I'm not asking for love. Not for a relationship. But good things are shared. WWHD is just Nintendo taking away my time and money while they try and figure out if the next Zelda should be built for core/hardcore/casual gamers.

This is GAF, and Nintendo threatens our memories, they want to take away our next-gen, they want to collect our money and enslave us.

Let's throw them down the Pit. Maybe Yamaguchi will come back from ruling Hell and get them to actually care for grown up guys who are neither casual Dads nor Brownies.

I'm not Nintendo's bitch. I was. But I was young and thought the feeling was mutual. i've learned my lesson.

How dramatic.

Burli

Pringo

Could this be the new '... just shot themselves in the foot' ?

monome

How dramatic.

Nintendo+WiiU+Zelda thread.

georgeclooneywhatelse.gif

and yeah...I admit i'm ready for a ban if only to express my hate towards how things are shaping up for Nintend.
They are the reasons I post on gaming forums.

Spents a ton of money on imported SuperFamicom games when a teenager.
So I probably feel "entitled" to bitch. And GAF has taught me neither "entitled"nor "bitching" are good for the longevity of a GAF account.

But it's the last straw.

I get a new console. And nobody at Nintendo thinks it's a good idea to give me dates or actual infos for games I look forward.
So yeah, I'm not happy.

Games are money too, and I don't feel like Nintendo is any good investment for my money these days.

i'm not even grumpy, just sad. seeing WW in motion for the first time on a streaming site very long ago has got to be the thing I've witnessed in video form when it comes to gaming related stuff. goosebumps all over. It's appropriate for me to go down in flames with this shit remake reveal.

mantidor

it's getting pretty difficult to tell joke posts from rants in this thread.

Chinner

Banned
The part where Aonuma clearly states these are images from the various experiments they conducted after the E3 2011 Zelda Demo HD Experience. These could be as early as from then, or as late as last Fall. He makes it clear, from those sentences, that these were not taken recently.

doesn't seem concrete to me? he says that after the zelda hd experience, they experimented with art styles for the new game by giving older zelda games the HD treatment.

i mean i agree there's a loose time-frame there, anytime from the e3 2011 demo to basically now. obviously the game is in development, but if its shipping in fall this year they're far past the alpha and beta stages and are probably close to the bug stomping, so i'm not entirely convinced either way.

it's a wait and see for E3 i suppose, but i think people are valid in expressing their concerns.

Why are they still keeping this in the kiddie cartoon artstyle? They should redo it in a mature, realistic artstyle, with blood and boobs and all that jazz.

kizmah

Why are they still keeping this in the kiddie cartoon artstyle? They should redo it in a mature, realistic artstyle, with blood and boobs and all that jizz.

Fixed.

tumblr_ltpfbydq4W1qa02ojo3_500.png

When other companies do HD remakes it's a pleasant way to revisit old favorites without them looking like poop upscaled on our shiny new televisions. When Nintendo does an HD remake it's a machiavellian ploy and a dagger through the heart.

Revven

i mean i agree there's a loose time-frame there, anytime from the e3 2011 demo to basically now. obviously the game is in development, but if its shipping in fall this year they're far past the alpha and beta stages and are probably close to the bug stomping, so i'm not entirely convinced either way..

If the game had made any headway into development within the last month, I'd think they would be showing a more full and complete Windfall than what we're seeing now. What we have right now in these images are three characters and an uninhabited island. I mean it's a bloody remake, there's no reason to hide stuff gamers are already familiar with and played over a decade ago. It means they're still working on shit.

Three characters where two never make an appearance on the island during this time of day shown in the screens and one whose model has some odd imperfections compared to Tetra's model (Link's eyes aren't as polished).

The images are clearly from a testing session. Whenever that took place for Wind Waker could be anywhere from after E3 2011 to last Fall/end of last year. There's no way these were literally just taken as though the game is done. Because if it were close to done, you'd see all the old NPCs littered around the island; yet we don't.

It's fine to criticize what we've been shown. But it's another to outright suddenly believe this is what the final game is going to look like.

doemaaan

Just watch. Whenever Nintendo does decide to officially debut this game in motion, everyone is going to be.... "blown" away by how good it looks.

image.php

For fucks sake people! Use your heads!

You know who created the wonderful art in wind waker (and the rest of the gorgeous 3d Zeldas after it)? The same people that are making this remake. They can handle it. They have good artists. Some of you sound like they will somehow release a hideous looking straight to dvd Disney movie sequel style of ugly remaster of one of their crowning achievements all of a sudden. Think about it for a second.

How about we wait till we see some more?

I think it makes more sense that we do complain. If we don't they'll assume everyone is ok with the screens and release that game looking like them.

Nintendo shots themselves in the foot! lol

Personally, I'll be OK with the remake as long as 3 things happen:

1. A Halo: Anniversary style ability to switch between the new graphics and the original on the fly

2 A Pro-Controller that is a straight up clone of the GCN controller, complete with proper button layout, analog triggers, nubby C-Stick, octogates, the whole nine yards. (I need this before Smash 4 comes out as well)

3. Cheap as hell price tag ($30 or less).

If the first two aren't there, then I'll be pretty disappointed, but might still pick it up, but if Nintendo tries to charge me a full $60 for this, I am joining monome in saying that Nintendo is dead to me and that it deserves to burn in hell.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
they shouldn't have released these screenshots then. so it either does look like this, or the screenshtos are not representative at all. either way the fan reaction is totally understandable.

I was only addressing the point that they wasted their time making it. They also wasted their time making that E3 demo by the same logic and yet no one complains about it even if it makes Link look like he's been under the sun for far too long.

monome

When other companies do HD remakes it's a pleasant way to revisit old favorites without them looking like poop upscaled on our shiny new televisions. When Nintendo does an HD remake it's a machiavellian ploy and a dagger through the heart.

I hate HD remakes.

Only one I've played is Halo, and they actually had a new game coming a year after, was priced competively and offered maps for the currentest Halo game.

WWHD is canon fodder for the internet.

1. A Halo: Anniversary style ability to switch between the new graphics and the original on the fly

2 A Pro-Controller that is a straight up clone of the GCN controller, complete with proper button layout, analog triggers, nubby C-Stick, octogates, the whole nine yards. (I need this before Smash 4 comes out as well)

If the first two aren't there, then I'll be pretty disappointed, but might still pick it up, but if Nintendo tries to charge me a full $60 for this, I am joining monome in saying that Nintendo is dead to me and that it deserves to burn in hell.

You have the right idea, friend.
Especially with the second one.

Mantorok

I would like them to bundle an old HD-enabled Zelda game, preferably Lttp, now that would be sweet.

I sometimes wonder whether any of you know Nintendo at all ;-)

monome

Nintendo should pay PG to make a Zelda game.

an off-shoot.

You play Link as he's infiltrated Ganon's fortress.
mad action, some puzzles, replayability, weopn customization according to the order you progres through the castle and the secrets you find.
but you start well equipped already.

think Zelda Rising with dem good graphics in an openworldish Fortress that does the DmC transforming level thing.

mantidor

Nintendo will be dead to you for sure.

I'm hoping for a $50 price tag personally, but I'm optimistic.

Alienous

What's more important that all of this is that Nintendo know how to milk a cash-cow.

"Now with Wii controls!"
"Now with stereoscopic 3D!"
"Now with HD graphics!"

No wonder Nintendo doesn't need to innovate.

mantidor

What's more important that all of this is that Nintendo know how to milk a cash-cow.

"Now with Wii controls!"
"Now with stereoscopic 3D!"
"Now with HD graphics!"

No wonder Nintendo doesn't need to innovate.

yeah specially with Zelda I mean, we got a whole lot of two games for it on the Wii, and one spinoff. Don't even get me started on the DS and 3DS.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
""Now with Wii controls!"" And "No wonder Nintendo doesn't need to innovate." contradict each other. Best to double check your arguments before submitting them.

LeleSocho

Banned
That a banal thing like depth, in a game that looks 3d anyway, ruins it speaks tons about how absurd that argument is.

All you need to do is rotate the camera and the game evidently is a very 3d game.

I really don't understand if you're playing dumb to support your point of view or not...

""Now with Wii controls!"" And "No wonder Nintendo doesn't need to innovate." contradict each other. Best to double check your arguments before submitting them.

There's no time to check arguments when you don't plan to actually have an argument.

UrbanRats

And most complaints are nipticking, like the eyebrowns thing!

Yeah that was charming, but hey, maybe in this remake, it would not work so well.

I loved GC WW graphics, loved it, and WW is in my top 3 Zelda games.

But c'mon, the new screens are looking nice
, different? SURE! But no way in hell lost that essence, the cartoon feeling is still there, and actually I want to see this thing in motion!!

I think the bloom is genuinely bad looking.

You know I also hope for, guys?

1080p. I don't care if it's 30 or 60fps, but 1080p would be sweet.
The original game was 30fps (which I didn't know until a few days ago when I played this in Dolphin for the first time. I always assumend it was 60fps) so I think it's okay if this remake is 30fps as well.

I think the bloom is genuinely bad looking.

Bloom ALWAYS looks bad in still shots.

Alienous

Do they contradict eachother? Maybe you are confusing hardware Nintendo with software Nintendo (I am, of course, talking about the latter)?

Perhaps you consider the same gameplay (fundamental core mechanics of the game) with a different control-scheme innovative?

Regardless, Nintendo are able to re-release the same games under the guise of an 'innovative' (lol) new control-scheme, or view setting. Understanding this, I can see why they do not need to come up with a new series or characters when they can just release Ocarina of Time 4K in 5 years time.

FreeMufasa

Yall trippin. Y don't ppl want 2 things? We already have GC ww and PC ww is HD. So why Wud we want that again? It ain't goin anywhere. Let Nintendo do crazy shit wit dis and chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom