• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is $59.99 at Amazon

Frodo

I can understand why people are complaining about the price, but Nintendo definitely doesn't want to treat Wind Waker as a bargain bin game, even though it is a remake. That much is clear.

Either it is to not devalue the brand or only to take advantage of the loyal fan base is another story.

Considering the Gamecube had a small userbase, and the game came out so long ago this is probably being marketed to those that have not played it yet.

I played it a hundread of times and I'm willing to pay $50 to play it again. I want to hear the lovely Outset Island Theme while I explore that island once more. I want to sail the Great Sea looking at the sunset and see the stars coming out. And I want to collect all the figurines again. Sue me.

AzaK

I don't understand why they didn't upgrade the soundtrack.

How much would it have cost them to make the soundtrack fully orchestral.

Look at what those Zelda ReOrchestrated guys did with the Twilight Symphony CD!!?!?! They made a fully symphonic Twilight Princess soundtrack for a VERY puny amount of money.

They could've hired those guys and did a fully orchestral soundtrack for a pittance!

It is simple.

This fiscal year Nintendo need to be profitable. Or should I say Iwata needs Nintendo to be profitable. Therefore they will skimp and save wherever they can. If something won't translate into obviously greater dollars, it won't be done.

It is really no simpler than that.

NR1

It is simple.

This fiscal year Nintendo need to be profitable. Or should I say Iwata needs Nintendo to be profitable. Therefore they will skimp and save wherever they can. If something won't translate into obviously greater dollars, it won't be done.

It is really no simpler than that.

If Nintendo has to choose to have Zelda orchestrated or not to maintain profitability, then they are in worse shape than I thought. The investment would be minimal. Heck, they have the Symphony of the Goddesses concerts going on right now, so its not like they don't have access to properly arranged music or an orchestra...

The Lamp

Should have been $40 max. $50 is hilarious for a 10 year old game with some extra ugly bloom, a faster sailing option, a bottle feature and a challenge mode. I already paid $50 at launch 10 years ago.

Just a question, has Nintendo given a reason for removing the tingle tuner outside of no GBA support? What I mean is, why couldn't they have ported it to run on the gamepad instead?

You could still do the message in a bottle miiverse thing.

Shahadan

Considering the Gamecube had a small userbase, and the game came out so long ago this is probably being marketed to those that have not played it yet.
This is bullshit and we all know it. Wii U has next to no userbase and the only reason this exists is to have a zelda early and as such to draw people already familiar with the series, mostly those having already played it.
And they chose this one because of the minimal work required to make it look good in HD. It's easy cash.

Soul_Pie

That does seem a bit steep, for that kind of price you'd really hope for some substantial new content, at least a new dungeon or an orchestrated score at the very minimum. Seems like a bit of a lost opportunity because Wind Waker really needed a bit of a re-imagining and a fair bit of tweaking especially in terms of the fetch quest. Like with a lot of what Nintendo are doing at the moment with WiiU this game just seems so half-hearted.

AniHawk

This is bullshit and we all know it. Wii U has next to no userbase and the only reason this exists is to have a zelda early and as such to draw people already familiar with the series, mostly those having already played it.
And they chose this one because of the minimal work required to make it look good in HD. It's easy cash.

you think that they would have gone with twilight princess if that was the case. it's the best-selling zelda.

Shahadan

you think that they would have gone with twilight princess if that was the case. it's the best-selling zelda.
Ugly ugly textures. Not helping their case. It's also the most hated and playable on wii u already
Would have been interesting to see TP's blinding bloom though

Darryl

Banned
Just a question, has Nintendo given a reason for removing the tingle tuner outside of no GBA support? What I mean is, why couldn't they have ported it to run on the gamepad instead?

You could still do the message in a bottle miiverse thing.

their reasoning was probably somewhere like if they allowed it in single-player you'd constantly blow your rupees on it. the gimmick was a multiplayer thing. if it existed only as an option where first player used pro controller, second player used pad, players would probably be outraged over how inconvenient it would be to have that setup going. i think that'd be OK myself since the original required gamecube setup was pretty outrageous itself, so it'd be a good throwback. maybe they learned their lesson already with that, though. i haven't heard any official reasoning yet.

Shahadan

could be reworked

so was that the critical acclaim, the extreme commercial success, or your personal opinion informing this segment

that's true, but it didn't stop the wii version from outselling the gamecube version in 2006.
Reworking textures is a lot of work, critical acclaim and sales mean nothing otherwise everyone including you would love metroid prime, and people had a gamecube and couldn't get a wii for months.
and you know very well pretty much half the fanbase hates TP. Not me, though.

ShowDog

dat price

Anyone here bothered by the use of "dat" on GAF?

Yes, dat use of dat is terrible. And the pricing here is pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

Zelda fans either already played Wind Waker or were never interested in it in the first place. And I don't see a new audience clamoring to play an old Zelda remake on a struggling system. Especially for $50. Should have been $30 considering the entire audience is double dippers. Not to mention the results that are possible for free (with OG copy) on probably the most user friendly emulator I have ever used (Dolphin).

Reworking textures is a lot of work, critical acclaim and sales mean nothing otherwise everyone including you would love metroid prime, and people had a gamecube and couldn't get a wii for months.

I thought everyone DID love Metroid Prime...haha.

AniHawk

Reworking textures is a lot of work,

i don't think programming the extra stuff into tww hd was as easy as flipping on a light switch.

and people had a gamecube and couldn't get a wii for months.

right, you would think that gamecube owners would have picked it up. instead the newer version sold more because it was more visible. re4 was on the gamecube and the wii too, and the wii version sold more (with less time between releases than tp and now).

you're still not backing this up with anything.

d31m0s

I got Halo CE Anniversary (which is a remake, not a remaster) for 20 euros, NEW.

Nothing justifies the price, Nintendo is showing once more how arrogant they can be.

Well it was 40$ here and i can understand but it did remove aspects of the game unlike this Remake

The only other remake anywhere near this scale was, well.. REmake. And that was full price when released. Expecting it to be priced the same as other remakes that just up the resolution and add some AA and filtering is idiotic.

An upgraded port is still a port. It's closer to RE2 for the Dreamcast than REmake.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
No shit. Do I need to put IMO everytime I state my opinion about the quality of a game? Obviously quality is subjective and many disagree with me.
And so, it's debatable. About the Shahadan post, is "most hated" the new "not the best"? Beyond the hyperbole I'd like to see a source for this, I'm under anecdotal impressions this was one of the favorite one in the series.

Muzy72

Banned
Someone is out of touch with this world. I'd love to live where you live that has games like WW being made by indie studios. All with a $5 price tag.

I don't think he was being serious... lol.

Seriously hoping Wind Waker HD gets a $40 price tag. Not too little and not too much. And hey, they did it for Game & Wario and Wii Party U.

Tripon

I don't think he was being serious... lol.

Seriously hoping Wind Waker HD gets a $40 price tag. Not too little and not too much. And hey, they did it for Game & Wario and Wii Party U.

Those games are expected to sell a lot less than Zelda: Wind Waker.

Z..

Yes because all HD remakes that had less work done to them released at 20 bucks right.

No, because it's a 10 year old game, and it doesn't even have that much new content. Full price is nonsense. I wasn't planning on buying it either way because Dolphin, but I just wasn't expecting such a high price tag at all.

To be honest I think pretty much all games are overpriced (and I bet most non-G8 people would agree), I'd never spend more than 20$ on a game (unless there's no other way around it... yes I'm looking at you, Xenoblade), which is why all my games are second hand and why I'm usually at least 6 months behind for everything, so I might not be the right person to judge how much a game should cost, but 50$ just seems really excessive.

Fable Anniversary comes out this year with more than just a coat of HD paint and will retail for $30 according to Amazon. A $20 extra tax just because it's Nintendo seems a little absurd.

Seda

I updated the title for accuracy. Feel free to continuing discussing remasters and pricing but if discussion is poor I will lock.

Z..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G8
basically he's saying that outside of the "big" territories, most games are way too expensive.

Compares to our earnings, they're massively expensive... You guys should try living on 500€/month. I spend 300€ on housing/electricity/water/internet, and the other 200€ have to be enough to cover food and transportation costs, which is usually ~150/month. Considering games are usually around 60€ when they come out, that means on an average month I can't even afford to buy 1 single full price game. :p (thank god for the UK and it's low prices on video games!)
For the vast majority of people on earth, videogames are incredibly expensive! Look at my example... and I live in a developed country (we developed nations aren't even 15% of the world's population, remember?), can you imagine what it's like for everyone else? Outside of a small handful of countries, gaming is a very pricey hobby!

AniHawk

ah, $59.99. that's more what i expected. shame to see it slip to december 31 too. most people will be celebrating the end of this horrific year that day.

Darryl

Banned
it probably just reverted up to a placeholder price. i can't imagine they'd sell this for $60. only idiots like me would preorder at that price. this might make $40 a realistic release price, once again

Top Bottom