• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD |OT| Ooccoo and Son in Glorious 1080p

CaVaYeRo

Captured the Argorok boss battle and a bunch of 1080p screens:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/...+Twilight+Princess+HD+Como+matar+a+tu+dragon/

legendzelda_1698333b.png

legendzelda_1698413b.png

legendzelda_1698433b.png

I remember enjoying that City in the Sky dungeon back in the day, but now it was booring and too long. The boss is ok, though also worse than recalled.

PS: I need Skyward Sword HD. Now:

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So the removal of the heat effect in the Goron Mines - good choice or bad?

Flames still have heat distortion and being underwater also distorts the screen so it seems it wasn't for a technical reason it was removed but rather a deliberate one.

Andyliini

Gold Member
I, too, would like a Skyward Sword HD. But then again, it was released only 5 years ago (I still remember like yesterday when I was waiting for the game tho) and Wii U probably doesn't have enough life in it to support one more game after Zelda U.

And, if Nintendo moves completely forward from Wii-systems with NX, they probably won't support WiiMotes anymore. That decision would make a HD remaster of Skyward Sword quite troublesome to make.

TheMoon

I, too, would like a Skyward Sword HD. But then again, it was released only 5 years ago (I still remember like yesterday when I was waiting for the game tho) and Wii U probably doesn't have enough life in it to support one more game after Zelda U.

And, if Nintendo moves completely forward from Wii-systems with NX, they probably won't support WiiMotes anymore. That decision would make a HD remaster of Skyward Sword quite troublesome to make.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (Master Sword* Life Sized Replica amiibo Controller Special Edition) - fifehundredninetynineyouessdollars

Includes exclusive new Fi commentary coming out of the built-in speaker

while we have our little German corner going right now: can you think of the shitstorm the localization drama squad right now would've caused over Moyse's stuff from back in the day? haha

Lewdness was added, not removed. 95% of the LDS would have been completely ok with those changes ( at least in case of vanilla Link's Awakening).

lol

TheMoon

Lewdness was added, not removed. 95% of the LDS would have been completely ok with those changes ( at least in case of vanilla Link's Awakening).

More talking about certain Goblins leaving to watch Lindenstraße or everyone greeting you with "Holerö!" :D

Killyoh

It's not impossible if Link attacks automatically in the proper direction (but it would ruin thre game since some puzzles are based only on this).

The NX could support Wiimote though if they keep their wireless tech.

CaVaYeRo

Don't think they're ditching Wiimote support at all. I think they're going really digital with NX, with Wii/WiiU titles available for download. I actually think Wii U games will be backwards compatible and the machine itself will be a small digital-focused box.

But yeah, loved WM+ Skyward Swordfighting 1:1 controls :)

The Lamp

Finally playing through this. There's something weird about the controls or responsiveness in general compared to the Wii version, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Looks beautiful though. Some of the environments are too bland and murky (Ordon valley is this way) but in general it's a beautiful HD remake because of the new texture quality.

Flames still have heat distortion and being underwater also distorts the screen so it seems it wasn't for a technical reason it was removed but rather a deliberate one.

I haven't gotten there yet but that sounds bad :( the heat effects were really incredible for that time in gaming.

The Brawl/HD version almost sounds like a different recording. Very close to sounding like real instruments in parts! Is that the same track from the original game just non-compressed!? It sounds so much better!

Brawl lists them as being rips from the original game, so they must just be uncompressed originals.

The HD version sounds near identical to the Brawl versions, so that basically proves they're the original uncompressed midis.

Proc

I never gave this a fair shake on the Wii...

My fiancé surprised me with this and now I'm about 3.5 hours deep. Absolutely loving it. Controls great on the wiiu pro controller.

I actually enjoyed the beginning and the story beats. Hunting the spiders can be a bit much but it definitely got me oriented with the area.

shiyrley

Banned
So I brought my Wii U to my gf's house and we played via offtv because we had no TV available. And I noticed that when playing via offtv the framerate is HORRIBLE, the game runs like crap, half of the time we were playing in slow motion. We played the 3rd tears of light section and I swear that part
flying on the bird
was horrible, and the
mini boss fight for the last tear drop was even worse
. Just slow motion. Almost unplayable. Never saw that when playing on the TV.

jariw

So I brought my Wii U to my gf's house and we played via offtv because we had no TV available. And I noticed that when playing via offtv the framerate is HORRIBLE, the game runs like crap, half of the time we were playing in slow motion. We played the 3rd tears of light section and I swear that part
flying on the bird
was horrible, and the

Sounds like some connection issue between Gamepad and the Wii U?

Robin64

I just did that section last night and I played a little bit of it on the GamePad. It was fine.

Probably connection of interference issues.

AdinsxBejoty

Neo Member
Been playing all weekend, first time ever really playing Twilight Princess since I didn't own the original Wii. It's capturing all the good feelings of playing both Ocarina and Majora's Mask for the first time. I'm actually kinda glad I never got to play it until this release.

Only complaint I have is the bloom in the cutscenes and the fact that it's a bit too linear at the beginning, what with absolutely every "don't go here yet!" path being blocked with boulders. The game itself looks beautiful, though.

Kinsei

Banned
My memory is really messing with me. I could have sworn you got a piece of heart for sniping all of the Guays on the bridges connecting Castle Town to the Eldin portion of the field.

Scrawnton

I love how Hyrule field near Kakariko looks with the contrast between green and the reddish rock of Kakariko. The landscape and draw distance gets me very excited for the next Zelda game.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Did the game freeze for anyone else when you go to Faron's wood and you have to follow the monkey with the lantern?

I've been making this argument since I first finished Skyward Sword, people still seem to think it can be played without motion controls. I've heard some god awful ways around it like mapping the sword to the right analogue and simply cutting out portions of the game. Would be a great "remaster".

Agreed here's a list of thing that Link can do without motion control.

-Movement.
-Holding A to dash.
-Pressing +/- to assess the map/item screen.
-Pressing A to talk/advance the text.
-Pressing Z to recenter the camera/lock on.
-Pressing B to select the item.
-Pressing C to switch to first person view.

But everything else is built around the motion controls and this includes enemies and boss' attack pattern and simply can not be remapped to a button something that the "mapping the sword to the right analogue" folks seem to forget.

The only way that Skyward Sword will get a HD treatment is either Nintendo remaking the game from the ground up for a traditional controller or that future Nintendo consoles are backward compatible with Wiimote+.

Isn't it just a video stream? Why would it run like crap on the game pad and not on the TV?

Probably a bad stream, which happens often the further away you are from the console.

Thabass

I'm up to
Palace of Twilight
and I have to say I'm very much enjoying it playing with a normal controller versus the Wii Remote (how I used to play the game).

I always thought the swordplay was sluggish until I played the game with a normal controller, now it just feels right. Baring that in mind, I just couldn't get used to the gamepad in this game. It's not that the controller was bad per say, I just couldn't get really used to it and the camera.

That post reminded me.

People say the opening of the game is the worst part of the game.

But no, it isn't.

It's the Lanyru Twilight section.

Annoying to get bugs, over a huge area. Having to play a stupid bird minigame, TWICE, the second time with absolute garbage controls trying to flail around hunting bugs in mid-air. And then at the end, it's not over. "Oh, the last bug is way back at the other side of the map!" so you have to hike all the way back to Lake Hylia, and then fight a boss that's not even challenging at all.

And then finally, it's over.

The opening hour is downright a blast compared to that garbage.

jariw

I always thought the swordplay was sluggish until I played the game with a normal controller, now it just feels right. Baring that in mind, I just couldn't get used to the gamepad in this game. It's not that the controller was bad per say, I just couldn't get really used to it and the camera.

You mean the motion control? Make sure to change to 3rd person aiming.

Craft

flying on the bird
was horrible, and the

Ah I was wondering about this. Have been playing off screen too and noticed that the frame rate drops pretty badly in places, It was most noticeable for me in Faron woods.

Kinsei

Banned
That post reminded me.

But no, it isn't.

Annoying to get bugs, over a huge area. Having to play a stupid bird minigame, TWICE, the second time with absolute garbage controls trying to flail around hunting bugs in mid-air. And then at the end, it's not over. "Oh, the last bug is way back at the other side of the map!" so you have to hike all the way back to Lake Hylia, and then fight a boss that's not even challenging at all.

Hike back to the lake? Why not just jump there from the field south of castle town or warp? Everything else you said is pretty spot on though.

papo

Man I had forgotten how slow and tedious beginning a 3D Zelda was. I got really bored at the beginning of the game while still in the village and did not read what I had to do so I am lost. turned it off.

I love the game and love Zelda, but damn don't those games take an eternity to start up because of all the nonsense thrown at you.

cyba89

The only way that Skyward Sword will get a HD treatment is either Nintendo remaking the game from the ground up for a traditional controller or that future Nintendo consoles are backward compatible with Wiimote+.

Doesn't really have to be Wiimote. With VR coming up motion controls probably remain relevant in gaming for a long time. And while Nintendo is known for often ignoring industry standards I wouldn't cross out them ever using motion controls for a future console again (as primary or secondary input).

Litri

flying on the bird
was horrible, and the

Sounds like you might be in the edge when it comes to the Gamepad range. I had this happen a few times with a few games where the stream would falter. In fact, just moving half a meter farther and I had completely lost signal with the Wii U and one meter closer to the TV and everything was fine again.

Robin64

So, what's the point where the Cave of Shadows classifies you as being "stronger"?

I assume it's after you get the master sword?

What's annoying is you don't know until you go in there and attempt it again. Am I stronger yet? Well let's get to the "end" and find out! ...nope.

Thud

That post reminded me.

But no, it isn't.

It's the Lanayru Twilight section.

Don't worry. Ancient Grove isn't much better.

And you have to return there again. Urgh.

Don't worry. Ancient Grove isn't much better.

And you have to return there again. Urgh.

I just did that part and it was fine. Chasing Skull Kid around isn't that big of a deal, and I like puzzles like the statue one, so that was fine with me.

It also made me notice how weird it is that Skull Kid is the guardian of the Temple of Time. Seems like they just wanted a way to get SK/Lost Woods into the game, even if it's a little odd, and maybe out of place, what his role is.

It also makes no sense in the idea that the TP map is (vaguely) the same as Ocarina, since the Lost Woods weren't anywhere near the Temple of Time.

baconcow

Horse controls are horrible. I know you can turn sharper with the right analog stick, when dashing, but it is an awkward control and does nothing in some areas. It feels more natural to just use the left analog stick to control the horse. In tight places (village, bridge), horse riding is brutal, getting stuck on edges and even invisible walls (village). Not sure why they changed the horse controls as I don't recall having an issue with them on the Wii version of the game. It would be nice if they patched in the option for different control choices.

Also, the camera seems really wonky near walls and some objects. Projected shadows, on some surfaces, make no sense.

Apart from those these glaring (horse controls) things, the graphical improvements alone make this game worth replaying. It was always one of my favourite Zelda games, so seeing these flaws is disappointing.

That looks like a minor reference to the Rito and Toon Link. The bird man even has the Rito's pointed head that most of them have, along with the beak nose and arm wings.

It's just a minor nod to Wind Waker, it's not time line shattering or anything like that.

Kinsei

Banned
Get outta here, Rito and Toon Link, you're in the wrong timeline!

Might not be what that is, but still amusing

I think those are supposed to be whatever became the Ooccoo, hence why you can see one alongside a child on the pillar to the left.

Lgndryhr

So jealous of everyone getting to play this. Skipped out on a Wii U during the holidays when there were decent deals. Regret it now. This is in my top 3 favorite LoZ games. Been scouring eBay for a deal, but no luck so far.

I have some feeling that Tantalus/Nintendo's devs intentionally removed the heat waves to keep a decent framerate in Goron Mines, the fog in Faron Woods at times drops the framerate to the 20's as an example , I can only imagine how much drops would occur with the heat wave effects.

Yes I know Wind Waker HD didn't have this problem with Dragon Roost Caverns

Jeremy

Started the game up last night for the first time but didn't get very far. Riding Epona through corridors is a nightmare. Can't remember anything about the game at all.

balgajo

That post reminded me.

But no, it isn't.

Lanayru was the only wolf section that I cared about. I didn't dislike the others but they were meh. Opinions....XD

The Boat

I just did that part and it was fine. Chasing Skull Kid around isn't that big of a deal, and I like puzzles like the statue one, so that was fine with me.

It also made me notice how weird it is that Skull Kid is the guardian of the Temple of Time. Seems like they just wanted a way to get SK/Lost Woods into the game, even if it's a little odd, and maybe out of place, what his role is.

It also makes no sense in the idea that the TP map is (vaguely) the same as Ocarina, since the Lost Woods weren't anywhere near the Temple of Time.
They put the Master Sword in the Lost Woods and built a new temple around it.

Started the game up last night for the first time but didn't get very far. Riding Epona through corridors is a nightmare. Can't remember anything about the game at all.

What's wrong with Epona on TP HD? Do es she now controls like Agro from Shadow of the Colossus or something? Controlling her was as simple and streamlined as I could think of! Out of many things I could think of that TP needed improving why did they feel the need of changing one of the things that was perfectly okay?

Got the game, finished the Forest tempel ... good to be playing a Zelda game on console again!

But, maybe i don't remember anymore ... was Epona always that ... bad to control?

More talking about certain Goblins leaving to watch Lindenstraße or everyone greeting you with "Holerö!" :D
Nothing, nothing ever comes close to Dryad being called "Harzinger" and speaking with bavarian slang.

Imagine, the Hero failed, Mana Fortress is rising, and the island Dryads tempel is on is submerging again.

And then Dryad dropping "Das wird a Riesen-Gaudi" (Going to be fun times ... roughly translated)

Whatever substance Moyse was on, he needs to reduce the amount.

Revven

What's wrong with Epona on TP HD? Do es she now controls like Agro from Shadow of the Colossus or something? Controlling her was as simple and streamlined as I could think of! Out of many things I could think of that TP needed improving why did they feel the need of changing one of the things that was perfectly okay?

They made it so you control her like a kart in Mario Kart. Left/Right on the left analogue stick to steer while adjusting the camera with the right stick + pressing A to dash. They completely removed diagonals to steer her and you no longer need to hold forward/up on the control stick to keep her moving forward. It's very awkward and overall less precise control.

Top Bottom