• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
So much hate in this thread! Even though the title didn't explicitly call it an "appreciation topic," it should have been assumed, given my first post.

Thread revival! I'm playing this to beat it this time. I got the 2nd pearl and am heading to the bomb shop. The furthest I've ever been in this game is to the Triforce hunt and then I quit. This happened 3 times. Now this time I am determined to complete it!

DrForester said:
ganondorfrain.jpg

It was the last think i ever would have expected.

Even after it was done in Ocarina? You're easily shocked, I guess.

terrene

Banned
Gawaian said:
You guys (and there's only 2 of you) are the first ever Pro-Sailing-In-Wind-Waker folks I've ever met. It blew, guys. I'm sorry. The big-N failed at that one. It sucked. It was somewhat less than good. It was, as the French say, OMG LOLZ. It really, REALLY was VERY NOT SO GOOD.

And this is coming from a guy who *did* actually finish the Triforce Hunt and beat the game.

AniHawk

I didnt find the sailing in TWW bad until I played it the second time. Because I actually didn't keep switching back between The Simpsons and TWW as Link went off roughly in the direction I wanted him to.

I would take up that argument, but I'm too busy laughing.

You guys (and there's only 2 of you) are the first ever Pro-Sailing-In-Wind-Waker folks I've ever met. It blew, guys. I'm sorry. The big-N failed at that one. It sucked. It was somewhat less than good. It was, as the French say, OMG LOLZ. It really, REALLY was VERY NOT SO GOOD.

Laugh all you want, it did become tiresome but that doesn't take away from the first experience of it. It was gorgeous and relaxing. But now if you're not that entranced by it, sure, it could be annoying. I still found it to be a great experience though nonetheless.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
The only thing that bothered me (not to get into a game review/critique type post) is his eyebrows. At certain angles his eyebrows floated OVER his hat... Like Cap'n Crunch.

It's just not right!

Amir0x

Banned
I think Wind Waker is easily one of the most beautiful games ever made and will be one of the few 3D titles from this generation that will stand any reasonable test of time imo. It's just a fucking gorgeous game.

I agree with the complaints about the sailing - the initial awe factor can't be denied, but it quickly became a tedious chore that was twenty times worse if you decided to try to get any number of the optional treasure chests. It was basically just a decent idea that did not work well in execution, unfortunately.

The other issue with Wind Waker is that although the art direction is definitely inspired, the dungeon design so clearly is not. It's this awkward parallel that really sets the game back... it was an opportunity to do more, but it was just mostly overly simplistic and dull. The mirror dungeon and Tower of Gods place weren't bad though.

The dungeons were bland overall. None of them really stick out in my mind at all, except for the Tower of the Gods... but I even remember that one being pretty short.

Adagio

I wish Nintendo copied A Wizard of Earthsea with regard to the sailing...

Course, there wouldn't have been much use for the Wind Waker...but I'm sure they would've figured something out...

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's far too easy and too short, besides that, it's great. Style is gorgeous.

it could have been the greatest zelda of all time if it had a couple more Dungeons and less sailing not to mention a better overworld.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
I think it needed some bigger islands. the sailing was ok, but the biggest island was still quite small. Not a perfect game, but it had it's moments.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
beelzebozo said:
I am almost as impressed by this post as I am by the game.

Very well said!

I never properly thanks everyone who posted comments similar to this one... so I'll do it now, and revive this thread from its premature grave, while I'm at it :)

Anyway, thank you for all the kind words. I dunno what came over me when I made this thread. I haven't even played Wind Waker in over a year. Lord knows I'm normally not able to string words together in any fashion above and beyond mere competence.

And to the haters, please stay out :) Wind Waker love only!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I'm currently playing through it again (just starting the triforce hunt) and it's still holds up relatively well. I also recently had a chance to play through Majora's Mask and I found that WW dungeons were very polished, if a little bit easy. Everything seemed smoother, too: combat, item usage etc. Sailing wasn't really much of an issue to me after I got the warp song, but I'm just not going to bother the bait thing with all the fishes.

The main complaint I have is that the theme and bosses were very disjointed for the last two dungeon. (wind dungeon and I get a sand worm boss?) but that's to be expected when the game was rushed. Overall, it is still an excellent game, and fun to play through with the second time through in lobster pajamas.

Also, Battleship guy rocks.

oracrest

Man, I loved htis game, im going to have to play it through again one of these days.

My only gripe was with the art of teh game, I really wish they could have done something to add that rice paper overlay that all the promotional and concept art had.

I loved sailing I think more than anything else. Growing up on the coast, and having gone on plenty of whale watching tours and fishing trips out on the water, it felt very nostalgic to be travelling in a similar vast environment. I could understand how people who dont have a connection to that feeling would find the sailing boring and arduous.

Zelda: Wind Waker is a great game but tedious playing due to finding triforce parts and triforce treasure charts with $400 rupiis each along with endless sailing at sea.

One of the scene is my absolute favorite is After Link and Tetra get rescued from the birdies in Forbidden Fortress the dragon gave Ganondorf an absolute sheer of firey breath to smoked him.

Man, i actually felt the sheer panic, fear, and shock when Ganondorf got flamed by the dragon's firey breath. That was the biggest surprised scene for me!!!! Took my breath away! :D

***Now, i can't wait for Twilight Princess!!!!! C'mon Nintendo shock me baby!! :lol

Aurora

Wind Waker is an absolutely stunning game, visually, musically, heck the whole thing. I think Nintendo did an amazing job of capturing all the Zelda magic with a whole new graphical engine and I'm very glad they went ahead with cel-shading despite all of the initial criticisms.

Perfect Timing! I've been playing through it for the past few days, so there's only a thin layer of nostalgia. I'll try to cover things that haven't been mentioned yet.

1. They nailed the style. Bosses are an absolute visual orgasm of particles, models, and animation.

2. Connect-the-dots exploration. Not cool. Getting between the current objective and the next is about as entertaining as drawing a line between two points...which is why Phantom Hourglass might work. Sailing might have been more fun if there was more to it than pointing the wind in the right direction, pointing the boat in the right direction, and avoiding enemies. Currents or tidal waves maybe?

3. Repetition. Considering how many times you have to find sunken treasure and change wind direction, the animations for these are painfully long. Some puzzles are rehashes of older puzzles.

4. Lack of Continuity. I had a moment of awe when I first sank into Hyrule, imagining all the possibilities for exploration and re-exploration. I imagined getting lost in a dark cave complex, lighting a torch, and realizing I was in a long-buried and long-deserted Kakariko Village. I expected too much. Instead of incorporating more moments of realization, Wind Waker seems to contradict itself. Here are a few examples:

a.) If Ruto are the descendants of Zora, why did they ditch Jabun as their principle Spirit?
b.) Why would an aquatic race evolve by losing its ability to swim when the world floods?
c.) Laruto, the descendant of Princess Ruto, would have been praying at the Water Temple, but Wind Waker's Earth Temple looks a lot more like Ocarina's Spirit Temple.
d.) Fado, the descendant of Sarah, would have been praying at the Forest Temple, but Wind Waker's Wind Temple doesn't resemble that Forest Temple at all.
e.) Medli is the attendant to Valoo, the Sky Spirit, but she ends up praying at the Earth Temple? Why is the Deku Tree called the "Earth Spirit?" in the Nintendo Gallery?
f.) Makar is a child of the Deku Tree("Earth Spirit"), but he ends up praying at the Wind Temple. Strangely, Cyclos and Zephos are the Wind Spirits, which Link first meets at the Ruto home on Dragon Roost Island.

5. This game is absolute torture if you're a completionist. The Nintendo Figurine gallery is the source of this pain. Carlov is far too picky about his pictures, especially with the amount of one-chance and two-chance figurines. Figurine creation is also quite illogical. I originally thought, "Oh, there's far more than three one-shot pictures in the game. Tetra's crew and Ghoma will require at least three additional play-throughs." I was livid when I tried to start a third quest to continue my figurine hunt and...you can't start a third quest. Your figurine gallery can't carry over after the second quest. Of course, if I had gotten Tetra, she would have given me the figurines for the rest of her crew, but there's no logical reason to believe that. I felt pretty screwed at that point. To add insult to injury, you can only hold three pictures at a time, which means multiple trips into and out of the Forbidden Forest, Tower of Gods, Earth Temple, Wind Temple, or Savage Labyrinth. If this isn't enough nonsense, the different colors of bokoblin are grouped together in one figurine, but there are three Darknut figurines with non-obvious differences between each Darknut. While the standard game has an excessive amount of animation repetition, the figurine hunt goes above and beyond ludicrous. Each set of three pictures (assuming the picture was taken properly, and you actually want to see the figurines) requires 6 songs of passing, 3 grotto-falling animations, 3 light-column lift animations, 3 Carlov-shuffles, and a partridge in a pair tree.

I hate Wind Waker, and I love Wind Waker.

CoolS

I never even once got a figure of this Gallery. I have to admit it is the Zelda I did the least sidequests for. I thinks it's because of the sailing. But I love everything else about this game despite the triforce hunt.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Journeywalker said:
4. Lack of Continuity. I had a moment of awe when I first sank into Hyrule, imagining all the possibilities for exploration and re-exploration. I imagined getting lost in a dark cave complex, lighting a torch, and realizing I was in a long-buried and long-deserted Kakariko Village. I expected too much. Instead of incorporating more moments of realization, Wind Waker seems to contradict itself. Here are a few examples:

a.) If Ruto are the descendants of Zora, why did they ditch Jabun as their principle Spirit?
b.) Why would an aquatic race evolve by losing its ability to swim when the world floods?
c.) Laruto, the descendant of Princess Ruto, would have been praying at the Water Temple, but Wind Waker's Earth Temple looks a lot more like Ocarina's Spirit Temple.
d.) Fado, the descendant of Sarah, would have been praying at the Forest Temple, but Wind Waker's Wind Temple doesn't resemble that Forest Temple at all.
e.) Medli is the attendant to Valoo, the Sky Spirit, but she ends up praying at the Earth Temple? Why is the Deku Tree called the "Earth Spirit?" in the Nintendo Gallery?
f.) Makar is a child of the Deku Tree("Earth Spirit"), but he ends up praying at the Wind Temple. Strangely, Cyclos and Zephos are the Wind Spirits, which Link first meets at the Ruto home on Dragon Roost Island.
I think every one of your issues with this point stem from the fact that they rushed to finish the game and had to throw together mishmash of conflicting points for the last half of the game. I think that's what makes the game ultimately disappointing to so many: unfulfilled potential.

The lesson here of course is, never EVER complain about a delay for a top tier Nintendo franchise.

stalker

Considering all the hate the art style of this game received in 2003, it is funny that today it is in fact its most beloved aspect.

I loved this game for its charm and art direction, even if I was bored at some times and even if the challenges were not on par with ALTTP, Ocarina or Majora's. I agree with those that say that with more development time, Wind Waker could have been the best Zelda. But the time that was missing is imo much more than 3 or 6 months as someone posted. It needed at least one year, perhaps more, to fill that ocean with life and to give the exploration motif that seems to ride the game concept something more than some rupees here and there.

Now I am replaying Ocarina (which is superior in every way) and I plan to replay Wind Waker sometime in 2007, before Twilight Princess.

ibu

I loved the game it was great and around the time I finally got into it was a particularly bad time of the year for gaming (summer drought) I really enjoyed every moment throughout the game! I still have not managed to finish it but seeing as I now have the rest of the summer free I shall invest some gaming time!

terrene said:

And this is coming from a guy who *did* actually finish the Triforce Hunt and beat the game.

Make that 3, because I loved sailing as well. :D

Sailing > Epona in OOT.

I saw this game today running in progressive scan, for the first time.

Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

I really loved it; never had a problem with the Triforce hunt. I like treasure. The mini dungeons were awesome for finding the Triforce maps -- I think the real problem was having to grind rupees for Tingle (which I still didn't mind).

Makes me gag further at the idea of how ugly Twilight Princess already is. Oh and doubly pissed that the fucking ZOMGMATOOR fanboys who hated "Wind Wanker" actually got what they wanted. Wind Waker 2 (not Phantom Hourglass) in 16:9 would make me ZOMGWTFASLBBQGOAL.

What could have been... Sigh. Fucking fanboys.

Top Bottom