• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Life of Satoru Iwata - Gaming Historian

Chaos17

307_s.jpg

Iwata-san...

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
An excellent video. I appreciate things like this.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It had some interesting bits - but i found it mostly sensationalized and inaccurate.

1. Before I even saw the video, I'm like i bet it's going to spend more time talking about Baloon Fight (which Iwata helped port to the NES) as his opus magnum, and failing to divulge him spearheading the touch generations line and the creation of Brain Age.

2. Video claims that people at Nintendo were walking around in awe and calling Iwata a super programmer. That's false, that comes from a Japanese Melee interview where the interviewer created that moniker.

3. Video claims Iwata was walking around calling Miyamoto his rival. Like what? When? They were on completely different ends of the spectrum.

4. Video erroneously states GameFreak was developing Pokemon Stadium - which they didn't. It was Miyamoto's EAD game.

openrob

It's amazing seeing him rise from an intern doing part time work to being the President of a Multi Billion dollar company. Seeing someone have that passion and drive pay off so well is inspiring.

Dremark

Banned
It had some interesting bits - but i found it mostly sensationalized and inaccurate.

1. Before I even saw the video, I'm like i bet it's going to spend more time talking about Baloon Fight (which Iwata helped port to the NES) as his opus magnum, and failing to divulge him spearheading the touch generations line and the creation of Brain Age.

2. Video claims that people at Nintendo were walking around in awe and calling Iwata a super programmer. That's false, that comes from a Japanese Melee interview where the interviewer created that moniker.

3. Video claims Iwata was walking around calling Miyamoto his rival. Like what? When? They were on completely different ends of the spectrum.

4. Video erroneously states GameFreak was developing Pokemon Stadium - which they didn't. It was Miyamoto's EAD game.

Iwata said he considered Miyamoto his rival in an interview, you can take a look at this link:

http://nintendoeverything.com/iwata-talks-about-miyamoto-says-he-used-to-think-of-him-as-a-rival/

or in Japanese if you prefer:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/999/G999905/20141226033/

You are correct, 4 is a legit error. He did mention that he spearheaded Brain Age, although I suppose he could have gone more in depth on it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Finished watching it. Very well done. Got a lump in my throat every time I heard Iwata speak.

If I may criticize one aspect from a creative/editing perspective, it's the way this guy got to the part of Iwata's death. He gets straight to the point, and does so in almost a detached sort of way. There's no build up or anything, no appropriate somber music leading up to it. Could have been handled a lot better with more emotional impact.

Other than that though, great video.

Finished watching it. Very well done. Got a lump in my throat every time I heard Iwata speak.

If I may criticize one aspect from a creative/editing perspective, it's the way this guy got to the part of Iwata's death. He gets straight to the point, and does so in almost a detached sort of way. There's no build up or anything, no appropriate somber music leading up to it. Could have been handled a lot better with more emotional impact.

Other than that though, great video.

I completely disagree with you. I liked how it wasn't emotionally manipulating. It didn't force the tears. It is why I liked it so much, it was very respectful to the event and very respectful to the man himself - it is his achievements and personality that mattered, not his departure.

Nekki

Back when he passed away, I couldn't believe what I read everywhere, but I never got to stop and think about what had happenned.

Today I cried watching this video. I hope you're having fun wherever you are, Mr. Iwata.

Malus

I completely disagree with you. I liked how it wasn't emotionally manipulating. It didn't force the tears. It is why I liked it so much, it was very respectful to the event and very respectful to the man himself - it is his achievements and personality that mattered, not his departure.

Yep. Really don't need the "somber music."

ika

OMG, I didn't saw the picture at 32:18 until now, it must be the last picture of Iwata before he died, he looks like an entire different person. It's heartbreaking... T_T

Zalman

OMG, I didn't saw the picture at 32:18 until now, it must be the last picture of Iwata before he died, he looks like an entire different person. It's heartbreaking... T_T
Yeah. I'm not sure if it's just the picture, but he looked worse here than he did before.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

It's about a man's death. How can it not be emotionally manipulative?

Top Bottom