• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Linux Dillema

Komatsu

Though I am typing this on a Windows PC at this very moment, my primary machine runs Solus - an absolutely fantastic distro.

With the experimental Proton GE builds, DXVK, etc. gaming on Linux has never been easier. I just played through the entirety of Nier: Automata on Linux and it was a flawless experience.

There's been a lot of innovation in the Linux desktop space in the last couple of years, with new desktop environments popping up, with Deepin and Budgie being perhaps the most prominent ones.

I love Budgie - which was originally developed for the Solus project.

ZTC9EnN.jpg

Makariel

Linux is a terrible os no matter which variant.
a good OS needs to be easy to use, and it will never get there without a mindshift
Which distro was mean to you and stole your lunch money? There's plenty of shades of linux that are easy to use and just work out of the box. Even my parents have no problem using linux, and they are retired and in their 70ies. When their new computer came with win10 they found that awful and couldn't wait to get back to linux. All major OS today are "easy to use" once you're used to it. Really just a matter of preference and what you want to use your machine for.

Since fruit-based devices are mentioned here so often: yeah macs are fine, as long as they work. As someone who is frequently asked by friends and family to fix their computers, I'm spending way more time trying to fix macs than anything else.

Makariel

Interesting, I know people that still have their 2012 Macbook working flawlessly.
I'm typing this on a 2012 Dell laptop, so that's not really old by any stretch ;) most of the issues I encounter is with old iMacs. Admittedly some are self-inflicted by the users, like my aunt who tried to install Windows XP on her iMac. In 2016. I'm not even sure what her thought process was, but that was a mess to undo.

Even my parents have no problem using linux, and they are retired and in their 70ies.
Similar here. My parents are in their late sixties. A few years ago my dad told me he wanted to run the same os I had on my laptop. Told him it was fedora, but I'm not doing any tech support should he install it. Some time later he said he installed it and as I recently noticed, he's still using it to this day.

I was honestly surprised, because fedora is not the most friendly linux distribution out there, but he upgraded it and everything.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If you can’t install Ubuntu and easily use it as a general desktop machine... you have issues.

it even comes with free office apps.

my wife is a total convert as her last windows laptop was a slow running pod after a few months.

Unknown?

Just switched to Linux but dual boot for gaming when needed but I rarely game on PC anyway. If I got a gaming PC I'd use Linux for everything and Windows exclusively for gaming.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Admittedly some are self-inflicted by the users, like my aunt who tried to install Windows XP on her iMac. In 2016.
LMFAO what!? Why?
On the other hand, I study in the field of software development and we use Windows on iMac.

MadAnon

2 year bump!

guess what? Linux still fucking sucks.
I approve this message. Tried Ubuntu a while ago. Spent a whole day trying to get my headphones working because of driver issues. Then I was faced by the glitchiest pile of shit equalizer ever and that was the end of my Linux experience. Wiped it with the sigh of relief.

PhaseJump

Banned
I approve this message. Tried Ubuntu a while ago. Spent a whole day trying to get my headphones working because of driver issues. Then I was faced by the glitchiest pile of shit equalizer ever and that was the end of my Linux experience. Wiped it with the sigh of relief.

Ubuntu and Mint have been updated to be user friendly enough that casuals and grandparents use them to navigate most internet tasks. Linux has been updated to support a lot of drivers over the years.

As for your glitchiest pile of shit equalizer; I would have suggested Audacity, but it seems like you already had your fill in more ways than one.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
linux is awful from what i've experienced of it. i tried ditching windows but it didn't work out.

i've tried many distros and every time i try give linux a chance there is always something that goes wrong. windows ain't perfect but it works without any hassle.

Makariel

LMFAO what!? Why?
On the other hand, I study in the field of software development and we use Windows on iMac.
She had a pile of old Kodak photo CDs and the software she still had from yesteryear to look at them was for XP. Somehow it hadn't occurred to her to check if there are any other options available on Mac to import the format (spoiler alert: there are bunch), and instead tried to install XP beside the existing OS, which didn't go smoothly :)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It’s funny this thread got necroed just while the Linux ot was going up... if any of you is interested it’s at

ethomaz

Banned
The Linux main issues..:
- Hardware support is a mess, most time the hardware you have doesn’t work, you have to find a random user that make a fix in a mod driver but you need to download the source code, install devs apps and compiler it lol... and it is not 100% the hardware will works like expected.
- Sometimes you want to find easy to use app determined take and it is agin a pain in the ass... the options on Windows is basically hundreds better (it is not a Linux fault but the app developers focus on Windows).
- Game is a non go... no matter these few ports of games on Linux... the industry won’t ever support it... plus drivers are a pain... and most games have issues.
- All the UIs are not easy of use like Windows (or Mac OS)... I mean when you want to do something more advanced you will find the UI can’t help you.
- You in a lot of cases need to use command line when a good designed OS should focus of get rid of command line.

My last Linux try was in 2019 with Pappermint 9 but I already used Ubuntu, Fedora, Slackware, Mint, Red Hat (that one on work), and some others distributions (I’m very curious).

I used several UIs too... KDE, Gnome, Xface, etc.

All combinations had the same issues I described... some more, some less but neither give a experience that can be said on the level of Windows or MacOS.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Linux distros run on almost everything, can be tailored to be simple or complicated for the end user, and for gaming it has Proton doing a lot of the heavy lifting to grow the available library. More than ten thousand games are running on Linux now. It's a double edged sword for the community, since there is less pressure and demand for native ports.

MacOS being repeatedly mentioned in a concern thread about Linux on a gaming forum is kind of hilarious. They lock down performance upgrades in their hardware, and they depreciated Opengl. I can understand the M1 lineup resetting things for them, requiring the memory to be baked into the apu now, but up until now it's been limiting for no good reason.
I'm not sure I understand what "limiting for no good reason" means. What performance upgrades has Apple locked down in their hardware? The main limit they put in place that I hate is killing off 32-bit support. Some perfectly good apps that could still run don't now.

OpenGL concern is funny, though. Apple was the only major OS to actually provide native support for OpenGL but they hadn't updated it since OpenGL 4.1 in 2011. Microsoft never moved past 1.1 and Linux always focused on X windows, and both pushed recent OpenGL driver support off to hardware manufacturers or community developers.

People had to be blind to not see that change coming. Apple had been deep into Metal since 2014 and had been talking convergence since releasing it. They hadn't updated OpenGL support since 2011, so the 2018 announcement should have come as a surprise to no one. If nothing else they became just like Windows and Linux in this regard. But even though it was deprecated Apple didn't remove support from the OS.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple Silicon is the final coffin nail for OpenGL on Mac, though. Apple has little incentive to release native OpenGL drivers for Apple Silicon or to maintain support for legacy OpenGL apps via Rosetta. So it will likely be up to the developer community to wrap Metal in an OpenGL implementation. MoltenGL is one attempt to do that but it's not free.

Not sure it's worth it, though. OpenGL hasn't been updated for over 4 and a half years and divergence of graphics features implementation across hardware manufacturers could make it difficult for OpenGL to keep up with a single way to do everything. Many developers choose Unreal or some other game engine for development these days, anyway. So OpenGL support matters less than ever.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Have used it at work for decades (and thus terminal efficient), works like it should, but wouldn't let it anywhere near my gaming computer (or family members..........tried that when I was an idiot Linux evangelist..........oh the horrors......). Windows 10 is a small part of a PC gamer's budget, is a standard, and works well. Wouldn't want to fuck that up now.

Edit: Fooled by the bumps again.. wtf is going on with all the necro bumping lately..

Last edited:
Top Bottom