• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The (many) RPGs of 2014 - this is the year

Volcynika

I know Trails in the Sky: FC isn't new since it already saw a PSP release, but we at least get it on Steam early next year (heard January may be possible). Totally double dipping on that.

Great job regardless, will bookmark this and read more later.

Li Kao

This post, this is something ! Thank you Durante for all the work required for it.
Boy, do I miss Adrian Werner's blog...

Llyranor

+/- Blackguards (don't know much about it, but heard it has a good TB combat system)
Bravely Default
Dark Souls II (we'll see, depends on much they messed up co-op)
Dead State
Divinity: Original Sin
+/- Might & Magic X
Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
+/- South Park: Stick of Truth
Tales of Xillia (well, my sister is going to make me play it, anyway)
Trails in the Sky: FC + SC
Wasteland 2
+/- X (not the biggest Xenoblade fan, so we'll see)

Right, really big year for RPGs, geez.

jeremy1456

Kind of a weak year for RPGs. It's got the numbers, but most of the stuff looks kind of generic or boring aside from a few.

This will be the first time in a long while where I only play like three RPGs in a year.

Lots of stuff to look forward to.
I still have a hard time accepting the Souls games as RPGs but whatevs.

I'm personally looking forward to:

• Bravely Default
  • Child of Light
  • Cosmic Star Heroine
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition
  • Lichdom
  • Lord of the Fallen
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth
  • The Banner Saga
  • Wasteland 2
  • Witcher 3
  • X

Bebpo

Banned
Not sure why X keeps getting on these lists. Mayyyyybe it'll hit 2014. But would not bet on it in NA this year.

injurai

Banned
But the Witcher 3 gets my hype glands frothing. Inevitable gifs incoming;

UnrealisticComplexGrunion.gif

wtf is that kid doing...?

Quixzlizx

Great roundup.

Here's another vote to add Demon Gaze and Conception II. I guess Class of Heroes 2G wouldn't count as a port.

Rootbeer

Banned
This is the year alright. The year where I'm really poor from buying all these RPGs.

I learned about a lot of rpgs I had no idea were coming. I already had Bravely Default, Witcher 3, Trails SC and several more on my list... didn't know about blackguards and most of the smaller games.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Kind of a weak year for RPGs. It's got the numbers, but most of the stuff looks kind of generic or boring aside from a few.

This will be the first time in a long while where I only play like three RPGs in a year.

If this list doesn't do it for you then you clearly aren't a fan of RPG's in general.

jeremy1456

If this list doesn't do it for you then you clearly aren't a fan of RPG's in general.

I am a big fan of RPGs, but here you've got Tales sequel #15, Dark Souls II (I've never been a fan of the Souls series) and a few RPGs that are so generic they they look almost identical (Dead Nation and Divinity). Most everything else looks pretty boring aside from a few.

You can tell someone is digging from the bottom of the barrel when they make a thread showcasing RPGs and make it a point to highlight an Atelier title.

Quixzlizx

I am a big fan of RPGs, but here you've got Tales sequel #15, Dark Souls II (I've never been a fan of the Souls series) and a few RPGs that are so generic they they look almost identical (Dead Nation and Divinity). Most everything else looks pretty boring aside from a few.

You can tell someone is digging from the bottom of the barrel when they make a thread showcasing RPGs and make it a point to highlight an Atelier title.

I guess stick to Dragon Quest while the rest of us enjoy all of the good games coming out.

Some Nobody

Gust compliments make me sad.

Setting all of that aside...sheesh there are a lot of PC RPGs coming out. Like, a lot.

As someone who's console only, that list is much shorter for me. Still, Witcher, X, Dragon Age all look neat. And depending on when Xillia drops I may try that out. I'm trying to chill on PS3 games once I get the 4.

Do you need to play ToX 1 to understand 2?

patapuf

You seem more interest in presentation than actual mechanics if you call Dead State generic.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Dead Nation and Divinity look identical?

What?

.... no... What? What what? What?

Derrick01

Banned

How does Dead State and Divinity look identical? They're not even in the same setting.

ohlawd

Atelier games have some of the deepest RPG mechanics ever in its alchemy system. Fuck your nonsense, man.

Some Nobody

You've made a few missteps here, and I'm sure RPGAF will tell you alll about them. I'm just here to say that while I disagree with your general sentiment, good on you for the shot at the Atelier series.

jeremy1456

Atelier games have some of the deepest RPG mechanics ever in its alchemy system. Fuck your nonsense, man.

I played both atelier iris games, and I'm about halfway through Totori+ for the Vita.

Since you obviously weren't referring to Atelier Iris is it safe to assume that these deep mechanics are introduced after the halfway point in Totori?

Coxy

OP makes an awesome topic of excitement for the huge array of releases and people react with "everything is shit especially what you like"

good job

Mmmm all these delicious games with (most likely) over 40hrs of game, of which I will only finish about a fraction of.
I can't wait!

I'm definitely picking up Bravely Default, Tales of Xillia 2, and X, along with Kingdom Hearts 2.5 since I never picked up the original releases. This is definitely a promising year for RPGs.

Do you need to play ToX 1 to understand 2?
Since Xillia 2 apparently builds on a lot of character development that started in the first game, it's probably much more rewarding to play both games instead of skipping straight to the sequel.

Jaleel

I think it has more to do with grounded expectations. Of the listed games I'm only confident for about two or three of them turning out genuinely well. Everything else is up in the air to various degrees in my opinion.

This deserves a specific breakdown.

Also, saying something looks generic just means it's not distinctive from other things, which when thrown out under the pretense of being an objective qualifier can be demonstrably disproven, provided anyone can agree by which metric something's distinctiveness should be measured. It's a bad word to use in pretty much any subjective discussion, imo.

I played both atelier iris games, and I'm about halfway through Totori+ for the Vita.

Since you obviously weren't referring to Atelier Iris is it safe to assume that these deep mechanics are introduced after the halfway point in Totori?

If you don't like it, why are you playing it for so long?

The Atelier games don't appeal to everyone, but they are most definitely quality and have a right to be on that list.

rjinaz

It's on Nintendo's release list for 2014 WW.

I know, people seem to keep ignoring this fact. Will X actually come out in 2014? I personally don't think it will. But, it IS listed for 2014 so of course it's going to make a 2014 list until Nintendo says otherwise.

jeremy1456

If you don't like it, why are you playing it for so long?

The Atelier games don't appeal to everyone, but they are most definitely quality and have a right to be on that list.

I got Atelier Totori on sale and did so mostly because I was traveling around a lot and needed some handheld games to play. I don't hate the Atelier series. I admit I haven't played all of the installments but what I have has been painfully average.

Top Bottom