• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Marvel vs. Capcom series debuted 20 Years ago #YIPES4MAHVEL4!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
All those years and no Regina. Tsk Tsk capcom.
regina_by_superfernan0auva.png
*brohug*

We're gonna make it, man. Me and you. Somehow we're gonna get our girl the shine she deserves.

Jawmuncher

*brohug*

We're gonna make it, man. Me and you. Somehow we're gonna get our girl the shine she deserves.

If MvC4 is really happening. I hope capcom puts her in.
Get her some new fans and interest in her series, much like what smash does with a lot of it's new character additions. Plus we'd finally have some new art and other things related to Dino Crisis. The well has been dry in terms of official anything for far too long.

Only got to play MvC and the sequels. Prefered 2v2 of MvC but man that roster in the sequel was insane. Loved playing as Iceman and laughing off projectile supers

Jawmuncher

I for some reason forgot that Marvel vs Capcom Origins even happened for 360/PS3.
I must have been going through some stuff, and forgot all about it. By the time I realized the delist happened. Though funny how the website it up and says "Available Now". If MVC4 is happening, I hope they can restart some of the old licenses again. Activision seemed to be able to with Dead Pool and the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games. So having Origins, 2, and 3 back up digitally would be nice while the wait for 4 happens. Or hell a collection pack like people were talking about that contain all 3 for PS4/XB1 would be sweet as well.

I for some reason forgot that Marvel vs Capcom Origins even happened for 360/PS3.
I must have been going through some stuff, and forgot all about it. By the time I realized the delist happened. Though funny how the website it up and says "Available Now". If MVC4 is happening, I hope they can restart some of the old licenses again. Activision seemed to be able to with Dead Pool and the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games. So having Origins, 2, and 3 back up digitally would be nice while the wait for 4 happens. Or hell a collection pack like people were talking about that contain all 3 for PS4/XB1 would be sweet as well.

My biggest regret is that I passed on that because I already had MVC2. Now that it's delisted there's no cheap way for me to get ahold of MVC1. Ughhh.

Still have no clue why my dumb ass skipped the JoJo HD remaster either. Digital licenses suck.

Stumbling into an arcade and seeing X-Men vs Street Fighter for the first time as a kid is one of my favorite gaming memories. I was a huge fan of the 90s X-Men cartoon and SF2, and often made drawings of X-Men and Street Fighter characters fighting, so it was my dream game at the time. The fact that Gambit, my favorite X-Men character, made his first fighting game appearance there and had an awesome playstyle made it even better.

I still pop in the Saturn port from time to time and it's just as awesome as ever.

Never played a Marvel vs Capcom game before, think it's because not fond of the art style

YDtpX2K.gif

You really passed on the WHOLE series? I just... can't fathom someone looking at the original MvC or X-Men vs SF and think "Ewww, that artstyle is horrible" What would you think a GOOD artstyle would look like?
Please don't say Injustice, I'd laugh so hard

Anyway, oh man, Marvel. Now I have to explain to you guys that I was in the WORST possible position when it came to Arcade games. There was NEVER an arcade near me. The only time I had arcade fun was when I got to spend a couple weeks at my grandparents' house in San Diego. My grandfather was an avid bowler and he would take us to the Brunswick Lanes in Chula Vista so he could bowl with his friends and he'd give us a healthy portion of quarters to enjoy in its Arcade. Man I was in heaven. It was small, but whenever we went they ALWAYS had top-of-the-line games. The owners MUST have been Capcom fans, I don't ever remember seeing SNK games there, but there were ALWAYS Capcom games. I remember the lineup changing ever so slightly every summer I went there. I remember seeing SFA3, SF3, Pocket Fighter, XvSF, MSHvSF, MvC, MvC2, etc.

But anyway, I still remember seeing XvsSF for the first time and my young mind was BLOWN. My 13 year old face gaped in AWE. I was familiar enough with SFII at the time, but to see that intro. It's like I had looked upon the face of God or something. Saying "mind blown" just doesn't convey the feeling I had! In my mind, I just couldn't fathom how we went from SFII to this. The graphics were bright and colorful. Characters were bigger and more detailed like cartoons come to life. Characters could jump INSANELY high all over the place! Special attacks that filled the screen! (keep in mind this was BEFORE I had seen the likes of DBZ). SWITCHING characters!

And speaking of cartoons come to life. Like any 90s kid, I watched and adored X-Men TAS, so to see X-Men characters LOOK and SOUND like they're straight from the show was incredible to me. I mean NOW, it's quite common, you might as well take it for granted, but BACK THEN to hear those voices you know and loved in a video game was a miracle. Also I remember messing around the character select screen and "accidentally" discovering the "secret" character Akuma. I remember feeling like I had discovered a secret character that was more powerful than the rest of the cast (and then finding out he really wasn't)

Now, I can't quite remember my first experience with MSHvsSF, it certainly didn't blow me away like X-men vs SF did, but I actually liked playing it MORE. Because of lack of practice and being more adept with a control pad, I SUCKED with Arcade controls. So when they introduced that Easy Mode that let you activate Specials and Supers with simple button presses, little newbie me was overjoyed. One of my Summers (I want to say 98) my Grandparents invited my family with them to Catalina. It was a great experience all around, but a fond memory i have is the Arcade. It was actually a much bigger Arcade than the bowling alley I was used to, but the one game I played the most was MSHvsSF. Unlike other times where it's just a couple hours of play in a day and then never again for a long period of time. I was actually able to come back to this arcade several times in a row. No other games interested me like MSHvsSF. I actually played through it several times and.. ACTUALLY GOT GOOD! Finally I felt like I had become one of those normal kids who got to go to an Arcade frequently. But then my vacation ended.

The rest isn't nearly as interesting. I remember in the early days of internet browsing I got to see screenshots of Marvel vs Capcom and seeing Hyper Mega Man made my imagination run wild. I was able to pick up the PS1 port and was dismayed that it removed the ability to tag. I feel like that was a BIG part of the Marvel experience and without it, it was a really plain fighting game. Also as a young teen, I didn't quite understand why they could use X-Men TAS voice actors but not folks like Robert "Ted Striker" Hayes for Iron Man or Christopher Daniel Barnes for Spider-man (though I remember thinking the guy they got for Spider-man sounded close enough if you close your eyes and use your imagination a bit). Of course, i know better why that was a thing.

I played MvC2 for the first time and it was awesome they added Cable and three on three action. I was jealous of my friend's Dreamcast and him having MvC2 (but then I hated the controller only having 6 buttons and not being able to assign 2P and 2K to a button). I remember feeling hyped as hell that as PS2 owner I could FINALLY play MvC2 (glaring sound issues not withstanding), but boy that magic sure faded quickly. It's mostly because I'm one of those guys that actually appreciated the details of the "crossover". MvC2 was fun, but I missed the character themes and that comic book meets video game vibe. So naturally when MvC3 was announced I was ecstatic! I know there's people who are nostalgic for MvC2, but I'll fight anyone who says it's better than MvC3 because some technical aspect didn't quite jive with them.

Here's to the eventual MvC4 where She-Hulk is sure to destroy Deadpool!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I played around with the series at first, but I got into it with Marvel vs Capcom 2. The arcade closest to my house had it on a wide screen display and facing out into the mall. So playing MvC2 was basically a spectator sport. If you lost, the entire mall saw you lose. I also had no clue how big the roster was. Everytime I came back on the sticks, new characters had been unlocked.

Nezzhil

I want a Capcom All-Stars fighting game
with a pacing style more like the Tatsunoko's games.
. Please Capcom! The only downside would be missing Doom, but I can live with that.

Edit: Great OP Tizoc

Jawmuncher

I need C.Commando, Psylocke and Jin back!!
At least she appeared on Namco X Capcom, a nice game! (Even though it wasn't released outside Japan)

I was always bugged by that. Just in the sense that Regina has had more crossovers in other company games than ones actually developed by Capcom.

The only crossover game developed by capcom she has been in is Dead Rising 3 & Resident Evil 3. Which are just costumes.

W-what do you mean by "no X-Men nor Wolverine in Marvel 4"?
This can't be.

I'm still salty about Marvel 3's roster. You can't do this to me. I can't go throug this again. God this cant'be.

Copcon pls.

Neoxon

W-what do you mean by "no X-Men nor Wolverine in Marvel 4"?
This can't be.

I'm still salty about Marvel 3's roster. You can't do this to me. I can't go throug this again. God this cant'be.

Capcom pls.
If that ends up happening (which there's a very real chance for), you can blame Marvel.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Uncontroversial opinion - the roster in MvC2 was only interesting because of Capcom. The rosters that both Capcom & Marvel would use in 2017 would probably be so boring. Especially Marvel.

Capcom vs. ANYONE but Marvel please.

MoxManiac

I remember I first heard/read about X-Men vs. Street Fighter in an issue of Game Players back in 96 prior to the game coming out in the arcade. I nearly shit my pants at the screenshots. I was obessed with the previous game, Marvel Super Heroes at the time. Memories...

DocSeuss

90s Rogue Best Rogue. Capcom's artwork in particular is always spectacular.

Uncontroversial opinion - the roster in MvC2 was only interesting because of Capcom. The rosters that both Capcom & Marvel would use in 2017 would probably be so boring. Especially Marvel.

Capcom vs. ANYONE but Marvel please.

The biggest concern I'd have is that Marvel wouldn't want to have ANY of the X-Men in their games until they get the movie rights back, which is where the most fun Marvel characters are.

Platy

I wouldn't lay the blame solely on Capcom as this character was a promotional collaboration with some Japanese comedian. I don't even think this attack was usable in-game.

Yeah ... this was not used in the game

still how the HELL does a sprite gets READY TO BE PUT IN THE GAME before someone says that MAYBE having the hots for a baby MIGHT be something completly WRONG ?

Mike M

Nick N
The reveal of the original XMvSF was the most surreal thing in the world. I told my friends about it (I don't even remember how I found out about it on the internet, but I did), and they flat out didn't believe me until we actually found a cabinet in the wild.

I still can't believe it happened at all, let alone went on to spawn such a successful series.

TWILT

Banned
WHENS MAHVEL

Played UMvC3 like crazy and am hungry for more. Even if those MvC4 rumors don't end up panning out, I'll always believe someday!

But anyway, I still remember seeing XvsSF for the first time and my young mind was BLOWN. My 13 year old face gaped in AWE. I was familiar enough with SFII at the time, but to see that intro. It's like I had looked upon the face of God or something. Saying "mind blown" just doesn't convey the feeling I had! In my mind, I just couldn't fathom how we went from SFII to this. The graphics were bright and colorful. Characters were bigger and more detailed like cartoons come to life. Characters could jump INSANELY high all over the place! Special attacks that filled the screen! (keep in mind this was BEFORE I had seen the likes of DBZ). SWITCHING characters!

And speaking of cartoons come to life. Like any 90s kid, I watched and adored X-Men TAS, so to see X-Men characters LOOK and SOUND like they're straight from the show was incredible to me. I mean NOW, it's quite common, you might as well take it for granted, but BACK THEN to hear those voices you know and loved in a video game was a miracle.

The reveal of the original XMvSF was the most surreal thing in the world. I told my friends about it (I don't even remember how I found out about it on the internet, but I did), and they flat out didn't believe me until we actually found a cabinet in the wild.

I still can't believe it happened at all, let alone went on to spawn such a successful series.

Really cool to read other people's similar experiences seeing the game for the first time. There was really nothing else like it at the time.

Top Bottom