• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindlog

I let someone play on my ME3 multiplayer account and got mad that they were doing it wrong. Now I have the last banner I was missing. It's weird, but on some level Star Citizen will meet my needs for a ME campaign.

There's nothing out there that will do the same for Mass Effect Multiplayer.
FullTeam.png

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, what's the soonest we get official news about the next Mass Effect?

VGAs at the earliest. Some think that's too early and I can see why, but I also think there's a plausible argument for a Mass Effect 3 CGI tease around then, considering how long Mass Effect 4 would have been in development and when BioWare/EA may intend to release it.

But really, the soonest depends on a number of factors we don't know:

- How many people, exactly, are working to get Dragon Age: Inquisition out on time? Montreal may be helping out with some assets, and Montreal alone can't make all of Mass Effect 4. Assets will be worked on by Edmonton and what not.

- How early Montreal started work on Mass Effect 4, and how quickly the vision came together?

- How far into development is Edmonton's new IP for the next generation?

Pollux

VGAs at the earliest. Some think that's too early and I can see why, but I also think there's a plausible argument for a Mass Effect 3 CGI tease around then, considering how long Mass Effect 4 would have been in development and when BioWare/EA may intend to release it.

But really, the soonest depends on a number of factors we don't know:

- How many people, exactly, are working to get Dragon Age: Inquisition out on time? Montreal may be helping out with some assets, and Montreal alone can't make all of Mass Effect 4. Assets will be worked on by Edmonton and what not.

- How early Montreal started work on Mass Effect 4, and how quickly the vision came together?

- How far into development is Edmonton's new IP for the next generation?

Yea, I understand that...I'm not even asking for gameplay or anything like that. Maybe just a sentence or two about plot, or a CGI teaser trailer. Things like that. I don't think it's too early for those things.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yea, I understand that...I'm not even asking for gameplay or anything like that. Maybe just a sentence or two about plot, or a CGI teaser trailer. Things like that. I don't think it's too early for those things.

Yeah, and I figure they'll do that anyway. They teased Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3, and I'm pretty sure Dragon Age 3, before going all out with details.

Reiterating the situation:
  • Mass Effect 1 - Announced (early) October 2005. Released November 2007.
  • Mass Effect 2 - CGI teaser March 2009. Gameplay June 2009. Released January 2010.
  • Mass Effect 3 - CGI teaser December 2010. Details/screens April 2011. Released March 2012.

Lets assume VGA 2013 comes and goes and no Mass Effect shows. This will mean that between release and the year's end there's been a window of 21 months Mass Effect free. This would eclipse the gap between Mass Effect's release and Mass Effect 2's announcement by 5 months, marking the longest downtime between any two games. And look, that's possible given the engine switch and new direction from Montreal. But if it's not going to be announced then, then when?

And consider a reasonable release date. If it doesn't make 2014 at all, if we're ruling that out due to Dragon Age: Inquisition getting holiday priority, then it can't be later than 2015, right? So how far into 2015? If it doesn't release until holiday 2015, that means Mass Effect will have been decommissioned for almost three years. I seriously doubt EA will want BioWare sitting on one of their most consistently well performing and growing franchises, with strong mass market viability, for that long.

My prediction: Mass Effect 4 is aiming for a Q1 2015 release. One-two punch with Dragon Age: Inquisition, and BioWare's big game to fill early that year software rush. New IP holiday 2015. Very short Mass Effect 2-esque teaser for Mass Effect potentially at VGA 2013, early deets in Game Informer Q1/Q2 2014, first trailer and footage at E3 2014, and Q3/Q4 used to spread screenshots, videos, and impressions across magazines and websites. Big deal made of the game on N7 Day 2014, marketing campaign gears up, game is out ~February 2015. BOOM.

Plenty of flaws to go around in the series, but I swear the music and the fiction they've created come together to make the best universe in gaming.

Fem Shep is where it's at. And Thane's voice!

Next gen ME will be stunning.

I think ME has the most fleshed out, consistent universe in all of gaming. And if not that, the best sci-fi gaming universe by far.

It almost feels plausible (well, except for the reapers, but mostly everything else).

And if there is one thing that has been consistent throughout the series, it's the music.

Where's the Dragon thingy from?.

I don't know much about ME1, but I know that every character I hate came from it.

the-arnold-glare-o.gif

This is... this is blasphemy. Ban this fool.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This is... this is blasphemy. Ban this fool.

Well, if he's talking about Kaidan & Ashley, i'd understand. But... Wrex, Garrus, Liara, Tali and Joker? Nah, these guys are likable, as long as you ignore all the creepy stuff some fans write, draw and say about them.

Mitsurux

The neat thing is that the Mass Effect universe is so big, that there are alot of different directions they could go story/character wise... and have a compelling game

Smaller story, bigger story, similar "giant crisis" etc....

Pollux

The neat thing is that the Mass Effect universe is so big, that there are alot of different directions they could go story/character wise... and have a compelling game

Smaller story, bigger story, similar "giant crisis" etc....

Let's take at least one game off from the giant crisis.

Bisnic

Let's take at least one game off from the giant crisis.

Yeah, no more "oh shit giant crisis, the galaxy is dooooomed again, lets summon Shepard Junior" scenario. It will feel like deja vu. What made the Mass Effect trilogy great wasn't the Reapers threat anyway, it was everything else.

Trigger

Yeah, no more "oh shit giant crisis, the galaxy is dooooomed again, lets summon Shepard Junior" scenario. It will feel like deja vu. What made the Mass Effect trilogy great wasn't the Reapers threat anyway, it was everything else.

Indeed. I was more concerned with what happened to all my squad mates in ME. It's what made the Citadel DLC so special.

So, an early look at Bioware's attempt in Frostbite 3. Things to take into account:

-Still approx. a year out from release, time for more polish
-Mass Effect team's attempt will likely look even better

dragonage_912844b.jpg

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
^The shot above doesnt really look all that good. The character that is. Are there any open vista shots that show a large area, grass, trees and general lighting? Then only I think will we be able to decide how good it looks.

^The shot above doesnt really look all that good. The character that is. Are there any open vista shots that show a large area, grass, trees and general lighting? Then only I think will we be able to decide how good it looks.

Plenty. Go look at the PAX Dragon Age threads.

Bisnic

dat low res armor. It's like a tradition from Bioware, not even a next-gen game can escape it.

But I expect Mass Effect 4(or whatever subtitle they'll give to it) won't have them, since it's not going to be cross-gen... right?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
dat low res armor. It's like a tradition from Bioware, not even a next-gen game can escape it.

But I expect Mass Effect 4(or whatever subtitle they'll give to it) won't have them, since it's not going to be cross-gen... right?

Dragon Age was originally targeted at March 2013 and then Fall 2013, so it's mostly cross-gen due to having spent most of its life on current gen.

The game might not actually launch with armor textures that bad given the jacket and especially that helmet has a vastly higher resolution than the shirt and it's a helmet.

Dragon Age was originally targeted at March 2013 and then Fall 2013, so it's mostly cross-gen due to having spent most of its life on current gen.

The game might not actually launch with armor textures that bad given the jacket and especially that helmet has a vastly higher resolution than the shirt and it's a helmet.
Texture resolution on the sword looks pretty damn good too.

malfcn

If there was any thing that could effect the next game, if be cool to put your saves in the cloud and have the XB1 recognize them.

This topic should be closed. Please let me forget.

It reminds me of how much we will have to wait till the next Mass effect.

But seriously, lets hope they learned from the ending fiasco of ME3, its simply take whats best from the 3 games and put them together with GLORIOUS next gen gfx :

- The RPG elements and feeling of ME1
- The Action and better combat of ME2
- NOT the ending of ME3

Ushae

Banned
So what's the consensus on GAF for storyline in a new Mass Effect. Do we want a sequel, prequel or a flat our reboot ( new reaper life cycle? ).

So what's the consensus on GAF for storyline in a new Mass Effect. Do we want a sequel, prequel or a flat our reboot ( new reaper life cycle? ).
From what I personally want and from what I've seen from most here, a sequel is the best way to move forward. Or at least the game should take place after the events of ME3, whether it's a few years later or hundreds of years later is fine.

Most don't want a damn prequel, especially on the official Bioware forums.

I would really like to see an open universe co-op game a la Destiny at some point. The universe is so well fleshed out, it seems inevitable at some point.

Irobot82

From what I personally want and from what I've seen from most here, a sequel is the best way to move forward. Or at least the game should take place after the events of ME3, whether it's a few years later or hundreds of years later is fine.

I'd be down for a prequel. Maybe an RTS prequel. First Contact war and make it an RTS. That could be cool. A smaller game, not the next big ME.

Vashetti

Banned
Sequel would be best.

Pick a canon ending (Destroy), couple of hundred years into the future, and have a couple of characters around that would still be alive (Liara, etc.) for nostalgia and familiarity.

Boom.

Ushae

Banned

I think that would be best, but how would they deal with the 'consequences' from those games ie synthesis, destruction or assimilation?

Well, if he's talking about Kaidan & Ashley, i'd understand. But... Wrex, Garrus, Liara, Tali and Joker? Nah, these guys are likable, as long as you ignore all the creepy stuff some fans write, draw and say about them.

Well like I said, I never met Wrex because canonically he is dead, Wreav is alright although he is a completely different character in 2 and 3.

Garrus and Joker are alright with me. Garrus kind of suck as a partner so I don't use him much.

Kaidan is insufferable.

Liara is a cold heart murderer that I spend both games waiting for her to stab me in the back. It wasn't until I check the Internet when I found out she is supposed to be a loyal friend/lover and a nice girl. Never got that from the games.

I cannot stand Tali, She treats legion like shit, wanted to cover her father to his awful mistakes, call Miranda a bitch whole drunk (where the hell did that came from) and every thing she says rubs me the wrong way. My favorite part of ME2 was taking her in my team in the final boss just so that I was like last thing I saw while she died.

Now I learned that Bioware drastically changed the personality of some of them and they where different in ME1 (I'm guessing the only reason Tali has fans) but that's no what they were when I met them.

Doctor Chakwas is pretty hot though.

flyover

Sequel would be best.

Pick a canon ending (Destroy), couple of hundred years into the future, and have a couple of characters around that would still be alive (Liara, etc.) for nostalgia and familiarity.

Boom.

Yeah, this is the way to do it. A prequel would be so creatively lazy -- which is probably why that's what they'll do.

androvsky

I think that would be best, but how would they deal with the 'consequences' from those games ie synthesis, destruction or assimilation?

Knowing Bioware lately and some of the scrapped plans they had for Mass Effect, I get the feeling the canon ending is going to be control (assimilation?). The Shepard you created is back, and now she's pissed at something and has a Reaper fleet! Only you can stop her!

Destruction would involve mechanical gear operated navigation computers ala old Soviet cruise-missile destroyers. It would mean ditching the 80's sci-fi aesthetic for steampunk/dieselpunk, or maybe something like Star Trek: TOS.

Synthesis would be handled by admitting they have a problem and checking into rehab, and then doing one of the other endings.

Personally, I'd like a complete reboot with no Reaper threat. In fact, the opening mission of the first game should involve eliminating the Reapers before they invade so that everyone can move on.

Subitai

Well like I said, I never met Wrex because canonically he is dead, Wreav is alright although he is a completely different character in 2 and 3.

Garrus and Joker are alright with me. Garrus kind of suck as a partner so I don't use him much.

Kaidan is insufferable.

Liara is a cold heart murderer that I spend both games waiting for her to stab me in the back. It wasn't until I check the Internet when I found out she is supposed to be a loyal friend/lover and a nice girl. Never got that from the games.

I cannot stand Tali, She treats legion like shit, wanted to cover her father to his awful mistakes, call Miranda a bitch whole drunk (where the hell did that came from) and every thing she says rubs me the wrong way. My favorite part of ME2 was taking her in my team in the final boss just so that I was like last thing I saw while she died.

Now I learned that Bioware drastically changed the personality of some of them and they where different in ME1 (I'm guessing the only reason Tali has fans) but that's no what they were when I met them.

Doctor Chakwas is pretty hot though.
This is what happens to people who you let skip ME1 =/

Virmire -> ilos -> OG Citadel Attack is still to me the best ending in a game ever.

Mindlog

In the year 4148, the Mad Broker Liara rules with an iron fist. Liara's first crusade against the Reapers roused new threats from their slumber. War after war threatened to extinguish what remained of civilization. With the Council Remnant finally united the old prohibition on exploration has been rescinded. The remaining relays are being opened as fast as they are found. All threats are exterminated without hesitation. They call this an Age of Exploration.

You are one of these explorers.
You are a...
Freelancer

Probably needs a sexual punch up. It's basically Dune meets Star Citizen meets House Party 2.

At least 2000 years after the first games so you can fluff the details. You need a lot of wars in there if you want to keep tech from going nuts. More freedom to tweak the old mechanics. For example building new relays with specialized ardaaktka yakkshi Banshees serving as living cores. Also kill off the Quarians because they are usless and suck. Bring the Geth back as it's obvious some of them should have survived (they have stations far removed from stars/relays.)

Most importantly: Tone down the main character. Shepard was stupid overpowered in Mass Effect.

Had some thoughts on how I would've tweaked a few minor story things from ME2 and 3. This is probably the best place to share them since they're certainly not thread worthy lol.

For ME2's Arrival DLC I think it would have been so much cooler if they saved the Hackett reveal to the end, when he comes to see you in the Med Bay. After only hearing his voice in ME1, they really didn't make a big deal out of showing him in the trailers for Arrival and I think it could have been a cool reveal at the end of an otherwise forgettable DLC.

For ME3, if they had to have dream sequences, they should have had them related to your background and reputation. For Shepards with the "Sole Survivor" background, let us see a bit of the thresher maw attack in Shepard's nightmare, not some stupid kid.

Most importantly: Tone down the main character. Shepard was stupid overpowered in Mass Effect.

Shepard is a damn good soldier but his / her influence on events and importance in the story is inexplicable. Shepard never really faces down anything other than small squads of enemy ground forces, and doesn't even get to show off great leadership skills or anything. It's just that every time Shepard does something, it turns out that he/she never encounters obstacles that they aren't equipped to deal with.

It was pretty silly in the ending to ME2, where you attack what you think is an entire civilization of collectors, but turned out by good fortune to be a single space station, guarded by a single ship, and which had a convenient over-loadable reactor. If there had been even 2 collector space stations, or some defensive guns, or a second ship, Shepard and crew would have been totally borked.

I'd love to see the next ME game pick up some time after the Reaper War.

Gameplay would start out on a planet or station that is close to reactivating a relay, and over the course of the game maybe keep it contained to two or three systems. The cliffhanger ending could be a relay gets opened to a previously unknown system (there were many relays - primary and secondary - left inactive simply because no one knew where the other side led to and no one wanted a repeat of the Rachni invasion.

it might even go as far as you helping Liara recover Sheapard's body.

We see Liara get Shepard's body in the comics, though.

Vashetti

Banned
What I want at the moment most is a GOTY edition for ME3. I really hope they do it

Yeah a complete package with all the DLC and the Extended Cut already installed is a pretty desirable purchase.

I wonder how many are still buying ME3 and don't know or realise that the EC is a free download.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom