• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see the next ME game pick up some time after the Reaper War.

Gameplay would start out on a planet or station that is close to reactivating a relay, and over the course of the game maybe keep it contained to two or three systems. The cliffhanger ending could be a relay gets opened to a previously unknown system

A relay gets opened to a previously unknown system.....or straight into the Warp. BOOM, enter the world of Mass Effect 40000, where there is only war :D

I love Mass Effect, all 3 of them, so so much. What I want for next-gen?

I want to play as any race I choose. If I want to play as an Asari or Krogan, live through their upbringing and better understand their culture, I should be able to. I want it to take place xxxx years in the future, where Shepard is ancient lore, and touted as the savior of the galaxy. If it's a prequel... I'm out. I don't give a fuck about what happened before, I want to know how my legacy affected everything.

Also, multiplayer must come back, it's incredible. It's an amazing co-op experience and the classes/customization is awesome. I just hope they don't try to do anything to complicated (like GoW ruining horde).

Ushae

Banned
scAZyxr.png

tumblr_ms2w1zGYYd1rni763o1_500.gif

D: trying.. to.. keep.. my shit.. together..

Edit; Noes, shinobi got banned. Possibly the most neutral poster on GAF. All hope is lost!

CLBridges

One day I'll finish Mass Effect 1. But, Mass Effect 2 and 3 are the pinnacle of gaming for me this generation. So many times I've played through these games and loved every minute. I'm hoping they leave the Shepard arc behind, possibly only mentioning him in passing. I wish for them to set the game after Mass Effect 3, maybe a few hundred years. Playing as another race would be nice, but I would be ok with a Salarian lead (best race IMO lol). Multi-player has to make its way back in the game, but seeing as how successful ME3MP was, it's a no brainer. Just expand on the current systems in place for MP and I'm good. I cannot wait for the reveal of the new Mass Effect, I will soak up every piece of information that Bioware let's out.

My guess is the next ME will be a prequel set during the One of the Turian conflicts, The Unification War or possibly First Contact conflict. That being said, I hope I'm wrong and they create a new story after the conclusion of ME3, but not too close as to be associated with the current cast.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yanick Roy ‏@YanickRRoy 33m
Yesterday, the rest of BioWare finally got to get a first look at the next Mass Effect. Their reaction tells me we're on the right track! :D
Yanick Roy ‏@YanickRRoy 30m
@MassEffectSaga Sadly, it probably will still be a while before we show anything publicly. Sorry!

emot-smithicidegyjxe.gif

Patryn

My guess is the next ME will be a prequel set during the One of the Turian conflicts, The Unification War or possibly First Contact conflict. That being said, I hope I'm wrong and they create a new story after the conclusion of ME3, but not too close as to be associated with the current cast.

Seriously, people, unless Bioware continues retconning the First Contact war, it would be the most boring as shit thing ever. The Turians call it a fucking "incident" and there were only about 2 major engagements in the entire thing.

It'd be like making a game about the War of 1812 or Spanish-American War, but even more boring.

Also: Unless you go WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY far back in time so the stage is totally cleared, prequels always suck.

Hindle

Banned
Give me an actual RPG this time instead of a shooter Bioware. Let me explore the galaxy instead of being on a guided tour.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Seriously, people, unless Bioware continues retconning the First Contact war, it would be the most boring as shit thing ever. The Turians call it a fucking "incident" and there were only about 2 major engagements in the entire thing.

It'd be like making a game about the War of 1812 or Spanish-American War, but even more boring.

Also: Unless you go WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY far back in time so the stage is totally cleared, prequels always suck.
I want a sequel. Save the prequel stuff as an offshoot. I want a new, epic story. Yeah, I know there's some that don't want another "big baddie" but I think if it's going for a new next-gen game, a spinoff title or prequel just isn't going to cut it.

My wild guess is it's going to go further in about the Reapers. Like, there's a secret Reaper fortress in Dark Space and there's things we really don't know about them that will be discovered. Also, something something about Leviathans connections to them or the Leviathans themselves. That's not saying what I want, but what I'm guessing at.

Either way, will be interesting to see the direction they go in and how fantastic it's going to look! ME is probably the best IP this gen. Such a fantastic series that ended on such a ridiculously sour note.

My wild guess is it's going to go further in about the Reapers. Like, there's a secret Reaper fortress in Dark Space and there's things we really don't know about them that will be discovered. Also, something something about Leviathans connections to them or the Leviathans themselves. That's not saying what I want, but what I'm guessing at.

Ugh, I really, REALLY hope not. I am so done with the Reapers, especially after ME3 completely demystified them. And the Leviathans are just fleshy Reapers, so it'd essentially be the same damn thing all over again.

Sequel, yes, but come up with a new threat, BioWare, please. Or better yet, have no massive, galaxy-threatening enemy at all.

Ugh, I really, REALLY hope not. I am so done with the Reapers, especially after ME3 completely demystified them. And the Leviathans are just fleshy Reapers, so it'd essentially be the same damn thing all over again.

Sequel, yes, but come up with a new threat, BioWare, please. Or better yet, have no massive, galaxy-threatening enemy at all.

What I hated about Halo 4 was that it had the perfect opportunity to add new things to the universe, but then just threw in badguy covenant and tied everything back to the forerunners and that mythology yet again.

Yup. I want a singular, non-galaxy threatening villain again. That would be fucking cool. It was one of my favorite aspects of ME1.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Yup. I want a singular, non-galaxy threatening villain again. That would be fucking cool. It was one of my favorite aspects of ME1.
But ME1 was about a galaxy threatening villain - the Reaper Sovereign and introduced the Reaper threat. What bummed me out was how they made the Reapers incomprehensible 'from a realm beyond your understanding' into the "misunderstood preservers" they were made out to be in ME3.

Timeaisis

Set many, many years after ME3, with civilizations re-activating their relays. Pretty much on the verge of re-exploration. I'd wager the game would open soon after the Citadel is re-colonized.

You play as any race you choose, leading that race's team to explore the galaxy (think Star Trek). You find the citadel, and find other races already setting up shop there. The end goal would be to get your race on the newly-founded council, but that is no easy task...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay who's over there and trying to get them to slip up? Surely one of you!

BioWare said:
In addition to our booth schedule, we’re also presenting BioWare-themed panels for you to attend and interact with members of our team. Check out the schedule below:

Mass Effect: Omega – Friday, September 13th at 7:00 PM in Room 524a

Joel MacMillan, Art Director
Guilherme Ramos, Lead Cinematic Designer
Ann Lemay, Writer
Fabrice Condominas, Producer

Making Mass Effect Multiplayer – Saturday, September 14th at 11:00 AM in Room 524a

Blake Grant, Lead Programmer
François Masse, Senior Programmer
Jean-Pierre Michaud, Gameplay Designer
Ben Cummings, Gameplay Designer
Nicholas Lachapelle, Development Director

How to get a job at BioWare Montreal! – Saturday, September 14th at 1:00 PM in Room 519a

Masah Kalugin, Lead Recruiter
Dean Andersen, Director of Creative Development
Dorian Kieken, Project Development Director
Marie-Renée Brisebois, Studio Coordinator
Yanick Roy, Studio Director

Storytelling and Design: Video Games as Art – Sunday, September 15th at 12:15 PM in Room 524a

Ken Thain, Cinematic Director
Joanna Berry, Writer
Ann Lemay, Writer
Guilherme Ramos, Lead Cinematic Designer

http://blog.bioware.com/2013/09/09/bioware-heads-to-montreal-comiccon/

IMO the ideal story would involve the control ending and
A.I. Shepard
leaving along with the Reapers after the Galaxy gets back on it's feet, then make a time jump of a few hundred years into the future and establish the new Galaxy with it's new characters and conflicts.

From here they could create stories of whatever scale they want, from C-Sec detective stuff to save-the-Galaxy and they can always get the Reapers back into the story, maybe in a different role than villains.

DTKT

IMO the ideal story would involve the control ending and
A.I. Shepard
leaving along with the Reapers after the Galaxy gets back on it's feet, then make a time jump of a few hundred years into the future and establish the new Galaxy with it's new characters and conflicts.

From here they could create stories of whatever scale they want, from C-Sec detective stuff to save-the-Galaxy and they can always get the Reapers back into the story, maybe in a different role than villains.

I'd rather see them not even mention any of the endings as canon. They all just bring so many questions. Start fresh in an earlier version or just a clean slate. No baggage.

Blowdrum

Neo Member
What I'm most excited to see is if the next Mass Effect is a prequel, sequel, or parallel to the original trilogy though. Once I know that, I'll be able to set some realistic hopes.

But please let me play as a Geth.

Subitai

Again, I have no idea how, just keep making biotic explosions better.

Oh what I'd do for the trilogy to be on ps vita.
Surface Pro 2! ;)

But please let me play as a Geth.
multiplayer!

It has been said before, if Bioware is going to do something for us like in DA:O, then it will be two or three races that are the most popular. That likely means Asari, Turian, and Quarians.

I'll just be happy to get a mobile platform squadmate again.

Patryn

I would love it if the reboot would be based on the First Contact War. I really want to know more about it. Would be fascinating imo.

Broken fucking record here, but:

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Again, I have no idea how, just keep making biotic explosions better.

Surface Pro 2! ;)

multiplayer!

It has been said before, if Bioware is going to do something for us like in DA:O, then it will be two or three races that are the most popular. That likely means Asari, Turian, and Quarians.

I'll just be happy to get a mobile platform squadmate again.

Quarians? I would expect to see Krogans(or even Salarians) before Quarians if something like this would happen. Everybody loves Krogans(well, Wrex and Grunt mostly, and playing as one of them in multiplayer), not everybody love Quarians because of their attitude with the Geths, which is why some of the players decided to eradicate them in ME3.

Patryn

Quarians? I would expect to see Krogans(or even Salarians) before Quarians if something like this would happen. Everybody loves Krogans(well, Wrex and Grunt mostly, and playing as one of them in multiplayer), not everybody love Quarians because of their attitude with the Geths, which is why some of the players decided to eradicate them in ME3.

I suspect they may shy away from Krogans as the MC, simply because the proportions of the models may make things more difficult.

Then again, I could easily be wrong.

Subitai

Both sexes and...Tali fans. Also, Salarian and Krogan mating norms are a lot different.

But ME1 was about a galaxy threatening villain - the Reaper Sovereign and introduced the Reaper threat. What bummed me out was how they made the Reapers incomprehensible 'from a realm beyond your understanding' into the "misunderstood preservers" they were made out to be in ME3.

The initial manhunt running through the galaxy had that "non-galaxy threatening situation" of feel to me. Once you started to discover what Saren was up to, his "villain status" basically got raised up, and yes, it then became a question of galactic safety. But prior, you were basically just chasing a rouge spectre through the magnificent world of Mass Effect, just knowing that he was dangerous and needed to be taken down.

This is the kind of feeling I want again. Pretty much being relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of things. Not saving the galaxy or anything. But I'm pretty sure we aren't going to get that hahaha.

Yeah, the thing is there's a lot of quarians just living their lives. But the ones that you interact are complete assholes.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I for one don't want race choice in ME. To me the series is about the Human experience in a greater galactic society. Plus my hope for ME4 is a sort of Age of Discovery in space and you are one of the daring few setting out into the great unknown seeking fortune and fame. And that to me feels distinctly human.

Follow the Destroy ending, roughly 100 years after ME3, leave most Mass Relays inoperable, show us a galaxy broken and only just coming back from near total annihilation. Vast areas of the former Citadel and Terminus systems are still cut off completely. With the Relays broken new means of FTL are devised and you are privateer traveling to these lost areas to reconnect with old colonies and planets and to map new ones.

This way we get to rediscover old locations and races and see how they have changed, for better or worse, in isolation from the rest of the galaxy, and we get to explore new areas and meet new races that were never before available via the old Mass Relay system.

There's a lot of potential there for a great adventure, that doesn't require saving the galaxy, and for addressing the ending of the ME3 without sweeping it under the rug, but utilizing it to make the galaxy we knew new and exciting whilst also bringing in all new elements.

Bisnic

I for one don't want race choice in ME. To me the series is about the Human experience in a greater galactic society. Plus my hope for ME4 is a sort of Age of Discovery in space and you are one of the daring few setting out into the great unknown seeking fortune and fame. And that to me feels distinctly human.

Follow the Destroy ending, roughly 100 years after ME3, leave most Mass Relays inoperable, show us a galaxy broken and only just coming back from near total annihilation. Vast areas of the former Citadel and Terminus systems are still cut off completely. With the Relays broken new means of FTL are devised and you are privateer traveling to these lost areas to reconnect with old colonies and planets and to map new ones.

This way we get to rediscover old locations and races and see how they have changed, for better or worse, in isolation from the rest of the galaxy, and we get to explore new areas and meet new races that were never before available via the old Mass Relay system.

There's a lot of potential there for a great adventure, that doesn't require saving the galaxy, and for addressing the ending of the ME3 without sweeping it under the rug, but utilizing it to make the galaxy we knew new and exciting whilst also bringing in all new elements.

I seriously doubt they're going to abandon Mass Relays just like that. Not because of what we saw in the Extended Cut and what Hackett said there, but because it's just a big part of Mass Effect. Just like the aliens races. Just like the Citadel.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I seriously doubt they're going to abandon Mass Relays just like that. Not because of what we saw in the Extended Cut and what Hackett said there, but because it's just a big part of Mass Effect. Just like the aliens races. Just like the Citadel.

But that's so boooring. And in my vision they wouldn't all be destroyed, just mostly. So like 1/2-2/3 of the former Galaxy would still have functioning relays or were able to fix them, but many were beyond repair or the affected areas simply did not have the means to repair them and so they've been cut off from the rest of space for 100 years. It wouldn't remove anything, all the former races would still be there, the citadel would still be there. The only difference is that maybe Palaven was cut off the whole time, and so have a number of other major systems and colonies and that has changed them. Some of them could have thrived in their isolation others could have fallen into ruin. Reconnecting with the rest of the galaxy could be accepted with open arms by some, others may be hesitant to come back, wishing to remain alone and isolated away from another Reaper like threat.

The main crux of the game's plot could be reconnecting with these lost areas in order to repair their MRs. They don't need to go bye bye, but having the MRS be in a position of disrepair for a period of time would do well to shake things up in the Galaxy, without changing everything, and would especially allow for interesting scenarios that don't require some new unknown threat requiring us to save all existence once again. And again it provides a convenient excuse and impetuous for the creation of other FTL mechanics which would open up new areas of the Galaxy, allowing for new races to enter the mix and new conflicts.

My biggest worry is that ME4 will just sweep the events of ME3 under the rug. Ending or not, the Reaper invasions basically wiped away the majority of the known Galaxy, that alone is just a huge deal. Add to it possibly disabling of much of the MRS and you've got one messed up Galaxy. So the last thing I want to see is everything being hunky dory come ME4.

Parsnip

I would love an xcom style turn based strategy prequel set during the First Contact War, starring David Anderson.

But that will never happen.

My biggest worry is that ME4 will just sweep the events of ME3 under the rug. Ending or not, the Reaper invasions basically wiped away the majority of the known Galaxy, that alone is just a huge deal. Add to it possibly disabling of much of the MRS and you've got one messed up Galaxy. So the last thing I want to see is everything being hunky dory come ME4.

Except that isn't necessarily true. If you got the "best" ending (with any of the three choices, doesn't matter), they had basically fixed the relays and the citadel. Or at least that's what they were implying with the slides from the extended cut. I mean yeah, the galaxy was messed up and all, but we can assume they fixed it.

And really I'd rather them not do anything after ME3 right now. The next game should be before the entire trilogy.

CGwizz

I want a game in the future not a prequel. I hope that we see something in the VGA´s and later in next e3 we see some gameplay.

this was the best thing that hapened in this generation, mass effect IP is gold.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Except that isn't necessarily true. If you got the "best" ending (with any of the three choices, doesn't matter), they had basically fixed the relays and the citadel. Or at least that's what they were implying with the slides from the extended cut. I mean yeah, the galaxy was messed up and all, but we can assume they fixed it.

And really I'd rather them not do anything after ME3 right now. The next game should be before the entire trilogy.

First off they'll never go with either the Control or especially the Synthesis endings as canon, they're just too far out there and fantastical, they make no sense, they're options present to reward players, not serious outcomes to be used later in the series.

Secondly anything set pre-ME3 is just meaningless and counter productive. If you're going to bring your franchise to a cataclysmic event that nearly destroys everything and they come out victorious you don't just leave it be and dick around in the past and not show your world in the aftermath. That's just stupid.

No one cares about the First Contact War, or some other event in the past. ME series is about the future, what could be and all that entails, it's not about looking backwards.

Mindlog

I would love an xcom style turn based strategy prequel set during the First Contact War, starring David Anderson.

But that will never happen.
Better setting: Jagged Aliance style turn based strategy prequel set in the Terminus Systems, starring the late Robin Sachs. That was a character with some guddamn backstory worthy of exploration. RIP.

Searching for backstory potential.
ME1: Kirrahe, Saren, Udina
ME2: Jacob, Kasumi, Mordin
ME3: James, Javik

Second Runner up: Aria
Runner up: Jack Harper
GOAT: Zaeed Massani
Shepard is a damn good soldier but his / her influence on events and importance in the story is inexplicable. Shepard never really faces down anything other than small squads of enemy ground forces, and doesn't even get to show off great leadership skills or anything. It's just that every time Shepard does something, it turns out that he/she never encounters obstacles that they aren't equipped to deal with.

It was pretty silly in the ending to ME2, where you attack what you think is an entire civilization of collectors, but turned out by good fortune to be a single space station, guarded by a single ship, and which had a convenient over-loadable reactor. If there had been even 2 collector space stations, or some defensive guns, or a second ship, Shepard and crew would have been totally borked.
Agreed. Shepard shifts between Thonton from Alpha Protocol and some heir from Crusader Kings too often.

My biggest complaint is on the gameplay side of things. Shepard is just too powerful. For most that played ME3MP the single player is a total cakewalk. It's a bit amusing walking into the ardakadktkka yakshee Banshee temple and the first reveal is a big deal.

Patryn

Why? Prequels, as a whole, have a terrible track record, as I keep saying. People keep envisioning the First Contact War as this super interesting thing, but there were basically only two major battles (the fall of Shanxshi, and the liberation of Shanxshi).

We already know how the Krogan Rebellions end.

What is there left to explore?

I really loved the Mass Effect games and I f*ing love the Universe but I fear that EA will screw the next one up and I will be so disappointed :(

Deadstar

I REALLY hope they bring back the Mako. The corridor shootfest that was ME2 and ME3 were terrible. I want open environments when I'm in nature. Close me up when I'm in a building or trying to attack a mission but keep it open when I'm outside, or at least give me the illusion that it's open.

Mass Effect Trilogy Pro's and Con's
+Thane
+Mako
+ME1
+Alien Races
+Garrus
+Wrex
+Loyalty missions
+Citadel from ME1

-ME2
-ME3
-Corridor shootfest (ME2 and ME3)
-Citadel from ME2 and 3

Portugeezer

I really loved the Mass Effect games and I f*ing love the Universe but I fear that EA will screw the next one up and I will be so disappointed :(

I don't know. People had similar fears about Dragon Age Inquisition but that game is looking good.

I liked ME2 too much, I will give them the benefit of the doubt until we see ME4 (whatever they call it).

First off they'll never go with either the Control or especially the Synthesis endings as canon, they're just too far out there and fantastical, they make no sense, they're options present to reward players, not serious outcomes to be used later in the series.

ME3 hinted that the synthesis ending is the "correct" ending for Shepard. There's a cutscene showing The Illusive Man selecting the control ending and Anderson selecting the destroy ending. This strongly hints that the synthesis ending is the one you should choose. Not to mention the whole game has been building up to this, as you have been trying to keep other races fighting, forcing them to compromise. The last selection is the ultimate compromise.

Saying that, the effect every character had on after the synthesis selection looked damn stupid, and it would not work if used in a sequel.

Bisnic

I REALLY hope they bring back the Mako. The corridor shootfest that was ME2 and ME3 were terrible. I want open environments when I'm in nature. Close me up when I'm in a building or trying to attack a mission but keep it open when I'm outside, or at least give me the illusion that it's open.

Mass Effect Trilogy Pro's and Con's

+Citadel from ME1

-Citadel from ME2 and 3

The only awesome thing about the Citadel from ME1 is that its huge and its floors are actually linked together, not some levels hiding behind a loading screen. The look of the Citadel itself isn't that interesting. Just sky blue and gray walls everywhere with nearly empty rooms. It didn't look like an interesting place to live in. Give me the Citadel from the last ME3 DLC anyday. Actually, with the new area that the Citadel DLC unlock, i'm sure the ME3 Citadel is bigger than the ME1 one.

Kinyou

The only awesome thing about the Citadel from ME1 is that its huge and its floors are actually linked together, not some levels hiding behind a loading screen.
I think that added quite a lot to the immersion and gave us a feeling that the Citatel was an actual building. Hope they'll make a return to that with the new next gen power. Dragon Age Inquisition seems to be already going for big hub worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom