• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

diaspora

I mean the ME writers have to be self aware enough to know that this sounds like a scifi manifest destiny. I hope they play off of that with the idea of not colonizing meaning the death humanity in Andromeda.

Ways to make this not-awful, in order from most to least hamfisted:

-There are Good and Bad natives. The Good natives are fine with you hanging it, it's those nasty Bad natives who are out to get you! It's totally not manifest destiny guys the sci-fi indians said it's okay!

-The expedition leaders are secretly the bad guys, who screwed over the hostile aliens.

-The hostile aliens aren't actually hostile they're trying to prevent you from doing something massively stupid and you aren't able to communicate with them well enough to figure that out until late in the game.

-This is presented as a conflict between equal rational actors, with both sides having their angels and demons. Your arrival is initially welcomed, but misunderstandings and the occasional bad egg on both sides result in guns being drawn.

Of course this is assuming it's not actually as dumb as it sounds.

The black blobs on Noveria and Ilos on newer AMD processors always made me grumpy. Not my image.

PvobKJo.jpg

What processors? My wife's PC has an Athlon X4 860K paired with 7970. No issues. She's played through the trilogy at least 5 times on it.

I've been playing on my HTPC with the controller mod, it has an A10-7850K. Granted, I'm playing at 720p on it, but no issues there either.

DOWN

Banned
Legit the only thing that would upset me immensely is if Andromeda learns nothing from people's gripes with Inquisition, and learns nothing from the victories of Witcher 3. There's something important to be said for dodging generic fetch MMO side quests. It also helps if you get a cinematic camera to meet people, as the random click-and-hear-the-line quest givers were weak sauce in Inquisition. Andromeda doesn't need as many of the quests as Witcher 3 (which was bloated with convoluted, albeit well structured and fully voiced side quests), but it does need to avoid the checklist unfinished feeling of Inquisition side quests.

That said, Inquisition had serious style and visual quality for a cross gen game. There was a lot to love in the AAA production values and visual scale that Witcher 3 lacks. Hopefully Andromeda is like a super gorgeous Mass Effect with some of the polish of the Inquisition campaign, the tones and squad foundations of Mass Effect trilogy, and the new sensibilities of Witcher 3.

My wife and I had to put the controller down during the Garrus loyalty quest and debate for like 10 minutes on whether we should let him assassinate Sidonis. We're doing a paragon playthrough but her argument was that Garrus is our bro and already stated he would live with the consequences. My argument was that our Shepard would not be an accomplice to murder. I ended up winning but it's great how this game forces us to make these choices and we don't do anything until we unanimously agree.

DOWN

Banned
My wife and I had to put the controller down during the Garrus loyalty quest and debate for like 10 minutes on whether we should let him assassinate Sidonis. We're doing a paragon playthrough but her argument was that Garrus is our bro and already stated he would live with the consequences. My argument was that our Shepard would not be an accomplice to murder. I ended up winning but it's great how this game forces us to make these choices and we don't do anything until we unanimously agree.

I totally disagree with what he was doing, but I also thought that Shepard lives in a greyer world than us and his best friend would never get over it or have closure if he didn't carry through with it.

I totally disagree with what he was doing, but I also thought that Shepard lives in a greyer world than us and his best friend would never get over it or have closure if he didn't carry through with it.
That's true, but after it's over Garrus thanks you for not letting him pull the trigger and you still get his loyalty.

We didn't let Zaeed kill Vido either, but that was to save the facility workers instead, and still got his loyalty too.

That said, we did make one major renegade choice when we sacrificed the asteroid scientists so that we could kill the batarian terrorist leader in Bring Down the Sky, but that was to save lives by averting another potential terrorist attack.

The Garrus choice was still the most difficult one yet, so far...

diaspora

Shepard's paragon choice to tell Kelly to not hide her identity in ME3 gets her killed IIRC. The renegade option to change her name saves her from Cerberus execution.

Okay just so this isn't a wasted post...did anyone choose Morinth over Samara on their first playthrough?
ah man, just reading this post is bringing back the memories, and goosebumps...

I was SO into Me2 when I first got the game, I was so into it, that towards the end when it came to the suicide mission I didn't dare start it before going online, wiki-ing the shit out of the ending to make sure I was able to keep everyone alive

and i did so for every goddamn playthrough of the game

Patryn

Yikes, I'll keep that in mind!

Keep in mind that Kelly does NOT show up in ME3 unless you invited her for dinner in your cabin in ME2.

So you kind of have to be flirty. However, having dinner with her (or even inviting her to dance for you) does not have any impact on any other romance in the game.

Regardless, it's worth doing the dinner if for no other reason than getting her to feed your fish automatically.

Keep in mind that Kelly does NOT show up in ME3 unless you invited her for dinner in your cabin in ME2.

So you kind of have to be flirty. However, having dinner with her (or even inviting her to dance for you) does not have any impact on any other romance in the game.

Regardless, it's worth doing the dinner if for no other reason than getting her to feed your fish automatically.
I always had dinner with her but I never got her to do that striptease for me.

She only dance if you're not into a relationship(or building one) with anyone else. That's what I heard though.
oh I see. as femshep I don't really romance nobody but I didn't the offer from her. huh. I don't think i'd want to anyway though lol

with regular shep i romanced a variety of characters...miranda, jack, and tali.

i don't care what it is as long as the soundtrack is completely different from the original trilogy.

the only track I want to come back is uncharted worlds but even then i wouldn't mind if they just did like a completely different song from that or a spiritual successor.

Maledict

I think the first game has some standout individual pieces and themes, but overall a lot of is it stuff I don't like. Mass Effect 2 had the best overall soundtrack for me, including the best single gaming music piece I can think of - Suicide Mission.

Patryn

I think the first game has some standout individual pieces and themes, but overall a lot of is it stuff I don't like. Mass Effect 2 had the best overall soundtrack for me, including the best single gaming music piece I can think of - Suicide Mission.

Seriously, people. We get it. It's April Fool's Day.

Mass Effect 2 having the best soundtrack is a funny joke.

In all seriousness, everyone is totally entitled to their opinion, but I feel that ME2's soundtrack is by far the weakest of the series, and mostly forgettable.

Patryn

Once again I'll just say that my stance is that Mass Effect 1 has the best overall soundtrack, but Mars from ME3's soundtrack is by far the best single track of the series.

diaspora

To this day I've been trying to figure out how to mod ME1 to replace the tracks but the furthest I've gotten is ripping the music files.

Besides LOTSB, Suicide Mission, and Illusive Man I don't care for the rest of ME2's ost.

I like a lot of the combat tracks in ME2. And I agree, the Illusive Man theme is great!

Crazy how polarizing ME music apparently is. I prefer the ME1 soundtrack. I love all the synthesizers and the atmospheric tracks like when you're exploring an uncharted world and inside the bases there.

It's also notable for having constant music playing in the Normandy and Citadel. Kinda cool. Never gets old.

Mediking

Gifs of the supposed Mass Effect: Andromeda leak...

MF1ld4dwhbifu.gif

Shepard 2.0 has the ability to JET PACK. LET'S GO.

Mwmp3FL.gif

Looks like, Shepard 2.0 has angered a Krogan, eh?

I want something like the ME1 soundtrack again. It would fit right in with the direction they're taking this game.
i could dig that. don't remember much but i could appreciate a new ost similar to the original
My problem with the ME1 soundtrack is that it sounds like the audio equivalent of watching paint dry.

I've seen it all now.

Like, wow.
lol

anyways, that Me4 footage isn't much to go by, but graphics look better.

DOWN

Banned
Gifs of the supposed Mass Effect: Andromeda leak...

MF1ld4dwhbifu.gif

Shepard 2.0 has the ability to JET PACK. LET'S GO.

Mwmp3FL.gif

Looks like, Shepard 2.0 has angered a Krogan, eh?

First GIF looks like Mass Effect 1 explorer atmosphere heaven

And the quality of Shepard 2.0's face looks great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom