• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sou Da

Something interesting I notcied when watching the ME2 documentary included with the Origin version.

Originally, the ammo counter was on the gun itself, similar to dead space, and it seems that the overheat mechanic was still included.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/4Pdhj1x.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1S8IYnW.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AseObzl.jpg[/IMG]
Shame but there was no way that could have worked with the cover system.

Shame but there was no way that could have worked with the cover system.

After watching all three videos, it seems that it was a hybrid system. That bar in the bottom in the last screen would increase as you fired, and once you fired too much, you would get the overheat message. You could then reload, which would use another clip. Guess that's why they called them Thermal Clips. It actually made sense. A pity the idea got scrapped. Maybe we'll see it in Andromeda?

Unrelated, but after praising the Origin version of ME1 for having all the DLC included (Bring Down the Sky is great, and Pinnacle Station gives you easy access to top level gear) and being easy to mod with better textures and AA, the Origin version of ME2 is a nightmare. They're using some kind of backwards system that blocks any applications from hooking into the exe.

Origin refuses to let the game run if I open Gedosato, with some stupid ActivationUI application spamming my active processes instead. I can't force AA through Nvidia Inspector or Control Panel either. What a mess. I haven't even tried the MExplorer texture mods yet.

Apparently the solution is to download the 1.2 patch from the Bioware site, which doesn't need Origin to run. Hopefully that works, I just spent $40 on the DLC too. All I want to do is make the game look better, and now this happens. :/

diaspora

After watching all three videos, it seems that it was a hybrid system. That bar in the bottom in the last screen would increase as you fired, and once you fired too much, you would get the overheat message. You could then reload, which would use another clip. Guess that's why they called them Thermal Clips. It actually made sense. A pity the idea got scrapped. Maybe we'll see it in Andromeda?

Unrelated, but after praising the Origin version of ME1 for having all the DLC included (Bring Down the Sky is great, and Pinnacle Station gives you easy access to top level gear) and being easy to mod with better textures and AA, the Origin version of ME2 is a nightmare. They're using some kind of backwards system that blocks any applications from hooking into the exe.

Origin refuses to let the game run if I open Gedosato, with some stupid ActivationUI application spamming my active processes instead. I can't force AA through Nvidia Inspector or Control Panel either. What a mess. I haven't even tried the MExplorer texture mods yet.

Apparently the solution is to download the 1.2 patch from the Bioware site, which doesn't need Origin to run. Hopefully that works, I just spent $40 on the DLC too. All I want to do is make the game look better, and now this happens. :/
You can use the exe cracking tool that comes with ME2explorer iirc...

Sou Da

:/
Oh, so their plan was to just have the mechanics actually match the lore? Be great if BW could do this for at least one of their games, any of them.

You can use the exe cracking tool that comes with ME2explorer iirc...

It was unrelated to that. Whatever DRM EA uses for the base game was preventing any other applications from messing with the ME2Game.exe, so the Nvidia Inspector settings, or Gedasato wouldn't work. Nothing to do with the DLC's, as I hadn't even downloaded them yet.

Everything works now though. I don't know why. Did two reboots, and now Origin is playing nice.

I still have to run the ME2explorer "DLC crack" when I install the texture mods later, but at least the AA is working properly now. Makes the game look way better.

I've install the shorter loading screens mod so long, and got rid of the two intro logos.

I have question about the Mass Effect 4 plot.

Do we know when Andromeda actually takes place?
I mean its confirmed that they find the arks but de we know when?

I think there was a thread that summed up what we know but I cant seem to find it.

(is that hyperion thing real? lol)

In this Rolling Stone (glixel) interview Mac Walters says this:
Walters: I think you can infer that the voyage and the effort to do this is not a task that anyone would've taken lightly. If you think about a process where you go to sleep and then 600 years later and you wake up, but for you, no time has passed, the last thing you'd think before you go to sleep is, "Are we going to make it? Am I going to survive this? Will the ship just implode somewhere along the way? So we actually wanted to capture that moment of, "Oh my god, we're here!" That's really where this story begins.

It's actually not as far after ME2/3 as I would've guessed.

Banned
FlUb.png
Mass Effect takes place within the Starcraft universe, confirmed.

diaspora

It was unrelated to that. Whatever DRM EA uses for the base game was preventing any other applications from messing with the ME2Game.exe, so the Nvidia Inspector settings, or Gedasato wouldn't work. Nothing to do with the DLC's, as I hadn't even downloaded them yet.

Everything works now though. I don't know why. Did two reboots, and now Origin is playing nice.

I still have to run the ME2explorer "DLC crack" when I install the texture mods later, but at least the AA is working properly now. Makes the game look way better.

I've install the shorter loading screens mod so long, and got rid of the two intro logos.
Odd, I've never had to do anything of the sort when using Gedosato or reshade, only when installing ALOT.

Grimalkin

Does the Mass Effect DLC on Origin ever go on sale? I know the PS3 version has 1-2 sales on the ME DLC per year but I haven't yet seen any sales for PC. :(

Patryn

Does the Mass Effect DLC on Origin ever go on sale? I know the PS3 version has 1-2 sales on the ME DLC per year but I haven't yet seen any sales for PC. :(

As has been said, traditionally they never did, but I believe there has been a sale or two over the past year or so.

It's extremely rare, however, so no one can really say if or when any future sales may occur, although Christmas time is probably a good potential guess.

Grimalkin

You missed one earlier this year I think, which was like a miracle.

Curses! I wish there was a way for Origin to notify me. Maybe there is, I should poke around in Origin.

As has been said, traditionally they never did, but I believe there has been a sale or two over the past year or so.

It's extremely rare, however, so no one can really say if or when any future sales may occur, although Christmas time is probably a good potential guess.

Thanks, I will just have to keep watching. I just finished The Expanse Season 1 and now I have the itch to play Mass Effect again.

Big Nikus

There's a cool article on Gamespot about the Andromeda galaxy : What Science Tells Us About the New Setting

Curses! I wish there was a way for Origin to notify me. Maybe there is, I should poke around in Origin.

Subscride to the thread, we'll tell you :p

Thanks, I will just have to keep watching. I just finished The Expanse Season 1 and now I have the itch to play Mass Effect again.

I just watched a trailer of The Expanse... I'll check it out after I'm done with Babylon 5 :)

Patryn

You also get War Assets based on the amounts of minerals you had. For the largest amount of that (100), it sounds like it's about 150,000 for everything but Element Zero, which you only need about 30,000.

I'm embarrassed to admit to that in my recent go-through of ME2 I scanned everything and had 2 resources over 1 million. It's not as annoying or boring as some people make it out to be.

DOWN

Banned
I'm embarrassed to admit to that in my recent go-through of ME2 I scanned everything and had 2 resources over 1 million. It's not as annoying or boring as some people make it out to be.
They patched it tho. It is bad now and was even worse for everyone playing the game when it was new.

Lucreto

I think you get bonus credits depending on how many you had stockpiled.

Thanks

You also get War Assets based on the amounts of minerals you had. For the largest amount of that (100), it sounds like it's about 150,000 for everything but Element Zero, which you only need about 30,000.

Sounds like I have a bit of work ahead of me. I only have 7,000 platinum. :/

I love the scanning. I usually deplete most of the planets.

Corsick

I'm playing Dragon Age Inquisition again and wanted to double check that they're the same team on Andromeda. I don't like being cynical, but I have some problems with their design after revisiting it. It has too much of an ocean sized puddle effect going on with uninteresting and non-compelling side content. It also has too much of an offline mmo feel going on with the quest variety or lack thereof. Has there been any interview(s) detailing their philosophy on ME 4 other than that they want to focus on larger worlds and exploration? Anything specific in regards to quest design? The war table stuff concerns me as well because it removes the player from the actual world and having to complete tasks by truly doing them and the real world timers involved are also a bit off putting. Enemies also feel like they have too much health for my liking, with combat being janky at times.

For the positives, the Frostbite 3 engine looks really good in regards to the environments. It feels very slick and smooth at 60fps and seems pretty reasonable with the hardware requirements. I can see how it would pay off for a larger more expansive world. I'm also thinking they learned that there was a bit too much superfluous content padding that wasn't very juicy or fun to trod through. Hopefully their lessons learned are applied well to Andromeda. Just some stream of consciousness from me.

Lucreto

I'm playing Dragon Age Inquisition again and wanted to double check that they're the same team on Andromeda. I don't like being cynical, but I have some problems with their design after revisiting it. It has too much of an ocean sized puddle effect going on with uninteresting and non-compelling side content. It also has too much of an offline mmo feel going on with the quest variety or lack thereof. Has there been any interview(s) detailing their philosophy on ME 4 other than that they want to focus on larger worlds and exploration? Anything specific in regards to quest design? The war table stuff concerns me as well because it removes the player from the actual world and having to complete tasks by truly doing them and the real world timers involved are also a bit off putting. Enemies also feel like they have too much health for my liking, with combat being a janky feeling at times.

For the positives, the Frostbite 3 engine looks really good in regards to the environments. It feels very slick and smooth at 60fps and seems pretty reasonable with the hardware requirements. I can see how it would pay off for a larger more expansive world. I'm also thinking they learned that there was a bit too much superfluous content padding that wasn't very juicy or fun to trod through. Hopefully their lessons learned are applied well to Andromeda. Just some stream of consciousness from me.

No, Bioware Montreal are doing Andromeda while Bioware Austin did Inquisition.

They have been tight lipped on talking about the game and it will be November before we heard anything concrete.

Older news which may have changed since was that Inquisition was going to be the template of all its future games but that may have shifted depending on the feedback from Inquisition.

I personally loved all the side content, from collecting shards and collecting materials to the fetch missions. I find them enjoy to do.

They did mention multiple points of interest on different planets so I am expecting Mass Effect 1 type missions.

To me it looks like they are trying to copy Bethesda with Fallout and Skyrim but with their own flare. Bethesda is selling a lot doing this so it's no wonder they are getting copied.

Patryn

No, Bioware Montreal are doing Andromeda while Bioware Austin did Inquisition.

I just want to clarify: Bioware Montreal is taking design lead on Andromeda, while Bioware Edmonton (the original DA team portion) took creative lead on Inquisition.

Bioware Austin is SWTOR.

However, when it comes to the grunt work of actually getting the game assets created, Bioware has moved to an Ubisoft model where all the studios swarm on their priority game.

diaspora

Got email from Amazon:
"Mass Effect: Andromeda"
Estimated ship date: March 28, 2017 - March 29, 2017

Obviously they're spitballing, but would fit in EA FY-Q4 2016 (Jan-Mar 2017), also 28th a Tuesday. If nothing else makes me think a March date likeliest.

Daemul

The thing I'm most dreading about replaying ME2 when it comes to XBO BC is mining for minerals. I haven't had to mine minerals in years thanks to Gibbed, I just added the minerals to my game, but since Gibbed isn't currently compatible with XBO I'll need to do it manually now. :(

I tell people not to bother going for those 100 WA's unless they lack DLC and therefore need all the WA's that they can get, it's not worth the boring grind otherwise. You can't even use Gibbed to give yourself the required minerals to receive the full 100 WA's upon import since the game can detect whether the minerals were gathered authentically or not, thus I always end up with 10 or 25 WA's instead of the full 100 when I import my ME2 save, even though I had like 200k of each mineral when I imported.

Patryn

The thing I'm most dreading about replaying ME2 when it comes to XBO BC is mining for minerals. I haven't had to mine minerals in years thanks to Gibbed, I just added the minerals to my game, but since Gibbed isn't currently compatible with XBO I'll need to do it manually now. :(

I tell people not to bother going for those 100 WA's unless they lack DLC and therefore need all the WA's that they can get, it's not worth the boring grind otherwise. You can't even use Gibbed to give yourself the required minerals to receive the full 100 WA's upon import since the game can detect whether the minerals were gathered authentically or not, thus I always end up with 10 or 25 WA's instead of the full 100 when I import my ME2 save, even though I had like 200k of each mineral when I imported.

It's not that hard to mine. Especially if you're importing a high-level ME1 save, which gives you bonus minerals, and you've completed ME2, which gives you even more bonus minerals on a replay.

Rodhull

I'm sure it'll amount to nothing as magazine exclusives usually do but this months official xbox mag here in the uk claims that it has mass effect Andromeda details. Haven't had a chance to track it down yet.

Patryn

I'm sure it'll amount to nothing as magazine exclusives usually do but this months official xbox mag here in the uk claims that it has mass effect Andromeda details. Haven't had a chance to track it down yet.

Given the lead time needed for magazines, it's probably the result of the interviews that happened around E3, i.e. all the stuff we already know.

Sou Da

I was unsure if I should bother making a thread about this but come august 26th, they're nuking the bioware forums.

Makes sense since none of the devs like coming there anymore.

I was unsure if I should bother making a thread about this but come august 26th, they're nuking the bioware forums.

Annnnd nothing of value was lost.

There are some good people there but it's mostly a cesspool of negativity and angst.

Ralemont

not me
Gaider's response is unsurprising, lol.

David Gaider
‏@davidgaider

So the BioWare forums are being shut down? Sad. In the way that something which is long overdue can still be sad.

Mindlog

Annnnd nothing of value was lost.

There are some good people there but it's mostly a cesspool of negativity and angst.
Never paid attention to anything outside of MP.
MP communication was a huge reason why that little morsel of gameplay lasted as long as it did.

Patryn

Total cesspool. I wouldn't be shocked if Bioware has been embarrassed by them for a long time now.

Shame some of the history is being lost, but 99.9 percent of it was just pure trash.

Daemul

They better fucking archive them like the did the old BSN, there's too much stuff to lose to completely shut it down. All muh character builds and MP discussions. NOOOOOOO!!!!

otakuderek

Question: I have a ME1 save on my old PS3 but the drive died on it. I backed up by old PS3 and transferred everything to my new one, but my ME1 save doesn't work. Did they never remove the save protection from it? If not, does anyone know a way around it?

Almost finished my series replay, and it just made me realise how much my opinion of certain characters has changed.

I actually prefer Renegade Shepard to Paragon Shepard now. Still using BroShep, but one day I'll try FemShep. I guess technically, I'm a Renegon. Shepard does the "right things", but he's also a hardass. It also makes choices like killing
Rana Thanoptis
or
Balak
a lot easier, considering what happens if you let them live. Paragon and Renegade choices often don't really make sense when you think about them, and I hope Andromeda does it better.

I couldn't stand Jack back in the day. Now I think she's one of the better characters in the series. Her romance arc is one of the more believable, and her character development is really quite nice. There's some golden lines between her and Shepard in ME2 and 3 too. I'm just disappointed that she didn't end up being a squadmate in ME3. I have a suspicion that she was going to be, considering the effort put into her redesign, and the fact that her armour has those slots for the weapon select screen. I think she would have fitted nicely in the empty Life Support quarters. How can you watch this and not like Jack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIQxQOApNw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIIIRSmqh3Q

It's cool that you can use her (and Wrex, Grunt and Kasumi) in the Armax Arena, but man, it would have been great if she could have been a proper squaddie, even just for a few missions. I still think her outfit in ME3 could have been better designed though. I mean, those pokies... come on. I hope we don't see that shit (or any gratuitous ass shots) in Andromeda. The mod that gives her the AAP one from ME2 is great.

Vega and EDI actually aren't that bad. He actually gets some pretty funny scenes, especially if you make him fix things that are outside of his expertise, and she's also got some great lines as well. I actually used both of them quite a bit in this playthrough. I don't like Liara nearly as much as I used to. It's actually kind of strange. I like her and Javik together, but Liara by herself...

The DLC for all the games is also really good, and those who haven't played it yet are missing out. I was surprised with all the NPC dialogue in Leviathan and Citadel. BioWare really learnt from ME2's "squad silent mode" DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom