• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

Because there's some hilarious interactions with her towards the end of the dlc.

Also, on the topic of remasters, I could see EA pulling an Activision and bundle the remaster with Andromeda, thus delaying the release of the game.

That would be throwing away sooooooooo much money. And money is the only reason they're doing this in the first place, likely.

I could possibly see them bundle it with 360 versions of the games if they go BC, however. But even that I'm unsure of if they're going to remaster stuff.

No way that would happen.

What would they bundle? First game? Second?

I've been thinking about stuff, and I wonder if the whole time the problem is possibly that first game. Does Microsoft still have publishing rights to ME1 on XBox platforms? Is it possible that one of the holdups was that EA couldn't remaster ME1 and release it on the XBox without cutting Microsoft in?

Patryn

All my credit chits for this, like.....even my secret stash I keep in Zakera Ward.

Please let this be a Xmas of remastered Mass Effect.....I would be so happy.

Sounds like Bioware hasn't been working on it:

I question the prospect of releasing a remaster of the original trilogy after Andromeda releases. Despite some doom and gloom, Andromeda is coming along very well, it'll be ready in Q1.

It was brought up at EA a long while ago and wasn't given the greenlight. I last asked about a possible ME remaster not too long ago (about 1-2 months ago), a clear "no, not happening" was said. This is a clear shift in their tone, which, I have no idea how they didn't realize it's easy money on the table a long ass time ago. Even if they started working on it now, they wouldn't be able to cobble together something worthwhile in 5-6 months, so it'd have to release after Andromeda.

While I'd definitely buy it...prime time would have been before the new game.

Now, I'm not sure if Shinobi's sources are in EA or Bioware. If they're in Bioware, perhaps it's possible that EA has some other studio working on it which hasn't talked to Bioware, but I doubt it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've been thinking about stuff, and I wonder if the whole time the problem is possibly that first game. Does Microsoft still have publishing rights to ME1 on XBox platforms? Is it possible that one of the holdups was that EA couldn't remaster ME1 and release it on the XBox without cutting Microsoft in?

Considering that it eventually made its way to PS3, I'd say that is unlikely.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Now, I'm not sure if Shinobi's sources are in EA or Bioware. If they're in Bioware, perhaps it's possible that EA has some other studio working on it which hasn't talked to Bioware, but I doubt it.

Have Bluepoint work on it.

Nobody would complain.

Patryn

Considering that it eventually made its way to PS3, I'd say that is unlikely.

That's why I said XBox only. I admit it's a crazy theory, but given that only Mass Effect 1 is currently BC, and I don't believe a lot of other EA titles are BC either makes me question is somehow Microsoft has retained some limited amount of publishing control on ME1 as it solely relates to the XBox platform.

Still, I freely admit it's a bit tinfoil hat territory.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That's why I said XBox only. I admit it's a crazy theory, but given that only Mass Effect 1 is currently BC, and I don't believe a lot of other EA titles are BC either makes me question is somehow Microsoft has retained some limited amount of publishing control on ME1 as it solely relates to the XBox platform.

Still, I freely admit it's a bit tinfoil hat territory.

If they had, I would bet that MS would be using that to their advantage.

This statement from Peter Moore about when we're going to hear more about Andromeda may be promising:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...re-video-game-press-conferences-have-a-future
Back at E3 you guys showed a pretty broad range of things, we had smaller projects in the vein of Unravel, a look at Mass Effect, Star Wars... If not at gamescom, when might we hear more about those other projects?

Peter Moore: Well... first of all I'm here to speak about competitive gaming, really. But secondly, if you're a Mass Effect fan you know what BioWare does - they're like the chef cooking in the kitchen for as long as it takes. We leave them alone, the game's still on target, and I'd say six, seven months out you'll begin to hear more.
If they were going for March, we should be hearing about it soon, unless they delay it again.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This statement from Peter Moore about when we're going to hear more about Andromeda may be promising:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...re-video-game-press-conferences-have-a-future

If they were going for March, we should be hearing about it soon, unless they delay it again.

6 or 7 months just to HEAR more about the game? I hope this was just a mistake, because that means if we don't hear about Mass Effect Andromeda until February, the game sure as hell ain't gonna release one month later.

6 or 7 months just to HEAR more about the game? I hope this was just a mistake, because that means if we don't hear about Mass Effect Andromeda until February, the game sure as hell ain't gonna release one month later.
I think he's saying six to seventh months before release, but yeah, if it's February, it's bad.

Patryn

Also, EA lets Bioware do its thing and doesn't rush them?

Explain Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition, then.

I know the latter two had delays, but it's still clear that both would have benefited with more time in the oven.

As for ME:A, I still have N7 day circled. I think they're making a mistake with this media policy, however.

At this point, I think both the press and the fans are very skeptical of the state of the game, which may hurt it initially. Just look at how 90 percent of GAF is convinced that it's definitely either a Fall '17 game or pushed back to 2018.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I know the latter two had delays, but it's still clear that both would have benefited with more time in the oven.

As for ME:A, I still have N7 day circled. I think they're making a mistake with this media policy, however.

At this point, I think both the press and the fans are very skeptical of the state of the game, which may hurt it initially. Just look at how 90 percent of GAF is convinced that it's definitely either a Fall '16 game or is about to be pushed back until 2017.

EA has already more or less said it won't be a 2016 game.

Kabouter

At this point, I think both the press and the fans are very skeptical of the state of the game, which may hurt it initially. Just look at how 90 percent of GAF is convinced that it's definitely either a Fall '16 game or is about to be pushed back until 2017.

Didn't they already confirm a delay to 2017?

Edit: From wikipedia:
"Speaking during Morgan Stanley’s Technology, Media & Telecom Conference on March 2, 2016, EA Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen stated that Mass Effect: Andromeda's release had been delayed from its original Q4 2016 date, and will now release in Q1 2017."

Patryn

Oh, dammit. My bad.

I was typing and not thinking.

I mean to say Fall '17 game or push to 2018.

I'm well aware it's a March 2017 currently.

I wouldn't worry. I'm not sure what timeline he's referring to but the people I've spoken to (multiple times) very close to the game have told me marketing, gameplay, info, all the good stuff will start rolling in hard after Titanfall 2 and Battlefield release.

And Peter Moore's role is very hands off from game development now that he's in charge of "competitive gaming".

Under Andrew Wilson now, for the most part that's true. He's been very good with giving studios more time and the resources they need compared to Richitiello prior. Like you said, it's the reason they allowed DAI multiple delays, heck the first was a year long delay because he actually listened to Bioware on that.

At this point, I think both the press and the fans are very skeptical of the state of the game, which may hurt it initially. Just look at how 90 percent of GAF is convinced that it's definitely either a Fall '17 game or pushed back to 2018.
It's understandable to be skeptical but I think it'll all go away pretty quickly once the game's finally shown off.

Patryn

It's understandable to be skeptical but I think it'll all go away pretty quickly once the game's finally shown off.

I hope so. ME's my favorite series, so I want it to sell!

I was initially for these quick turnaround unveilings, but I feel as though Fallout 4 had a backlash due to it being unveiled so close to release.

Regardless, I'm there Day 1. And, honestly, I just want to see some basic gameplay and get some idea of the character progression systems and then I'm going to go on blackout.

Mediking

I wouldn't worry. I'm not sure what timeline he's referring to but the people I've spoken to (multiple times) very close to the game have told me marketing, gameplay, info, all the good stuff will start rolling in hard after Titanfall 2 and Battlefield release.

And Peter Moore's role is very hands off from game development now that he's in charge of "competitive gaming".

Shinobi-senpai..... thanks for sharing this :D

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I hope so. ME's my favorite series, so I want it to sell!

I was initially for these quick turnaround unveilings, but I feel as though Fallout 4 had a backlash due to it being unveiled so close to release.

Regardless, I'm there Day 1. And, honestly, I just want to see some basic gameplay and get some idea of the character progression systems and then I'm going to go on blackout.
Explain the Fallout 4 backlash comment.

Hey everyone. Maybe there's a better place to put this but I just had some questions that I'm hoping someone here can answer. So I recently installed the Origin version of ME2 on my PC and I've encountered a weird stuttering problem that mainly occurs at the start of encounters or during room transitions. Also, character dialogue will occasionally cut-out the last word or so of a sentence. Neither of these problems are deal breakers but they are extremely annoying. I found a topic related to this issue for ME1 but not for ME2:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/17460/discussions/0/611701360834198924/?ctp=2

The topic references a file called "BIOEngine.ini". The link they provide to download their updated ini file appears to be broken and I don't even know if said file would have worked for ME2. I have not checked my ME2 files to see if such a file exists (I'm at work), but even if such a file does exist for ME2 I would not know what to do with it.

So basically my question is: What can I do to fix my above issues? Thanks in advance.

Patryn

Explain the Fallout 4 backlash comment.

I've seen several comments from people on the net saying that they feel that the short window between unveil and release allowed Bethesda to "deceive" people about how "shallow" the game was, and if they had a normal pre-release cycle, people would have caught on to the game's flaws.

Patryn

If people were mad that it was "shallow" they wouldn't need the short marketing window as a point of blame.

I think they were saying that if they had the normal prerelease media window, they would have realized it was shallow and not bought it, but because it was so short they weren't able to figure that out and thus were bamboozled into buying it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I've seen several comments from people on the net saying that they feel that the short window between unveil and release allowed Bethesda to "deceive" people about how "shallow" the game was, and if they had a normal pre-release cycle, people would have caught on to the game's flaws.
That's complete crap. How is that argument remotely justified?

In what way was it shallow? Sure I felt the game had its flaws (voiced protagonist, too much emphasis on settlements) but I have a hard time seeing people could have determined it was shallow with a longer release window..

I obviously only speak for myself but I would MUCH rather have developers show their game closer to release than further out. Showing games too soon HAS caused harm. Ex. Watch Dogs

Vic_Viper

Couple Mass Effect 2 questions, playing on PC for the first time since release. Originally I played them on Xbox.

Just downloaded and installed ME2 with Origin. Is there a way to play with Controller on PC? I cant seem to find an option too in game.

Can I play for a bit and buy the DLC later? Or do I need to start a new character when I get the DLC? Which DLC do people here recommend getting? The ones I know I want so far are Overlord and Lair of the Shadow broker. Its like 25$ though atm and theres no way im paying that for the DLC, will wait for a sale probably.

Is there somewhere else I can buy the DLC at a cheaper price.? It seems like Bioware points never go on sale.

Patryn

Couple Mass Effect 2 questions, playing on PC for the first time since release. Originally I played them on Xbox.

Just downloaded and installed ME2 with Origin. Is there a way to play with Controller on PC? I cant seem to find an option too in game.

Can I play for a bit and buy the DLC later? Or do I need to start a new character when I get the DLC? Which DLC do people here recommend getting? The ones I know I want so far are Overlord and Lair of the Shadow broker. Its like 25$ though atm and theres no way im paying that for the DLC, will wait for a sale probably.

Is there somewhere else I can buy the DLC at a cheaper price.? It seems like Bioware points never go on sale.

No Mass Effect game on PC has official controller support, but they all have unofficial mods that allows for it. Others can point you to them.

You can buy the DLC partway through the game. For Mass Effect 2 the only truly essential DLC is Lair of the Shadowbroker, although I strongly recommend Hidden Memory (Kasumi) because she's a kickass squadmate and Project Overlord, because it's just a fun, albeit self-contained, adventure.

Arrival has some ties to Mass Effect 3, but honestly has very little impact. Does have some interesting gameplay sections, however, including the only stealth oriented section of the series.

Bioware Points occasionally actually do go on sale nowadays. Check Origin during their periodic storewide sales.

Home stretch.

hVfwA2M.png

I really do hope they build Andromeda with a vision like the original trilogy, in that they plan to have a consistent main protagonist/cast of companions and a connected story. I think my biggest issue with the Dragon Age franchise is that there's no real reason to care about your character or your companions in each individual game because you'll be around them for one story arc and then they get dumped in favour of another "hero-like" character in the next game.

I hope to be playing as Ryder beyond Mass Effect Andromeda. I'm optimistic about it considering they seem to have implied that you're starting out the game as "fresh and inexperienced soldier/colonist/explorer".

diaspora

They talk so much about how great and awesome and amazing this game is/will be on Twitter yet show so little.
I don't think they want to start the marketing engine until after the heavy hitters like BF1 and Titanfall are out of the way. Honestly it makes sense too, ME isn't that big of an IP AFAIK, does it even out sell Dragon Age?

They talk so much about how great and awesome and amazing this game is/will be on Twitter yet show so little.
They're one studio that's part of a huge, multinational publisher. They're bound by the marketing of other games.

I don't think they want to start the marketing engine until after the heavy hitters like BF1 and Titanfall are out of the way. Honestly it makes sense too, ME isn't that big of an IP AFAIK, does it even out sell Dragon Age?
You're mistaken, Mass Effect games outsell Dragon Age, yes. It's certainly a bigger IP in EA's eyes.

Patryn

You're mistaken, Mass Effect games outsell Dragon Age, yes. It's certainly a bigger IP in EA's eyes.

Interesting. I do know that they went on the record at some point that Dragon Age: Origins outsold ME1 and ME2 at that point, and it was the best-selling Bioware title for a while.

diaspora

Weird, I thought DAO was their biggest game until DAI.
they're certainly better written, but that's neither here nor there.

Big Nikus

I've got this weird graphical glitch in the first Mass Effect when I use nvidia Inspector to override the application settings for the antialising :

It does that when the camera is at certain angles. Not only when it is low like in the screenshot. The only thing I've found is a reddit post from someone with the same issue. I don't want to give up on my good AA settings :(

I've got this weird graphical glitch in the first Mass Effect when I use nvidia Inspector to override the application settings for the antialising :

It does that when the camera is at certain angles. Not only when it is low like in the screenshot. The only thing I've found is a reddit post from someone with the same issue. I don't want to give up on my good AA settings :(
Try rolling back your drivers, could be a bug that was recently introduced. I doubt Nvidia pays much attention to SGSSAA compatibility with old games before pushing out their latest drivers.

Big Nikus

I did, and it's still there. So I loaded older saves, on Eden Prime and on the Normandy, and no weird light in these areas. With any luck, it only does this on the Citadel. Still, on the Normandy I noticed a strange light flickering on some objects (screens, and the galaxy map). It's not too noticeable in movement though.

edit: alright, no issue in the other parts of the Citadel, it only does this in the Presidium and the Presidium Tower.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I knew my complete blind faith in a possible remaster would be somehow paid off haha..... I can't see Soderlund making those comments if it's not going to happen now, but the real question is when will it drop.

I know people are saying that they haven't been working on it, but if they did it on the low-low with someone like Bluepoint or Nixxes and they have been actively working on it, then I don't see a N7 day announcement for a holiday remaster release being out of the question.

I can hear the trailer now transposed over that iconic ME synth:

"This holiday season, experience the space adventure of a generation....."

Figured out most of my issues. ME2 is as good as I remember. Some of the animation jank stands out a bit more now than it did to me then though overall I think it still looks great. Also, it's wild that on PC you can only download the Zaheed dlc if you already had the dlc tied to your account. Not that he was some pivotal character or anything but it's weird to think that PC players buying ME2 now just don't have access to that character. Anyways, looking forward to getting to ME3. I really enjoyed what I played of that game but never finished it.

Yes, sounds like it, although likely not any time soon and probably not until after Andromeda.

There was a thread a couple weeks back that you can dig up, Shinobi started it.
WHAT?! I want it this year! I want it holiday this year! I want it now, now, NOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Probably gonna start a full replay when they start marketing and hype levels reach over 9000. Expecting the marketing hype train to start up after the next big releases (BF1), so around November/December.

Patryn

Unless they work on changing the gameplay of the 1st game I really don't see a reason for remastering anything.

Performance improvements on a platform with native controller support, for one.

Before people start coming at me talking about PC mods, note that I said NATIVE.

Unless they work on changing the gameplay of the 1st game I really don't see a reason for remastering anything.
I'll give you reasons so you can see.

-The Ps3 versions of all the games were performance issue galore. All that can be remedied in a remastered version on Ps4.
-The Ps3 owners of the original trilogy also had to play the games out of order by the time the 1st game came out, a remaster gives them an opportunity for a fresh start
-The touchpad on the Ds4 can be utilized for the power wheel

DevilDog

Lol no. Mass effect 1 is perfect how it is. It's a remnant of 2007 video game design imo.

What is the point of a remaster, If you dont iron out the game's most glaring flaws?
I don't see how describing the gameplay as a ''remnant" can atone for its shortcomings and bad decisions.
This game should have more fun gameplay, better cover system, better UI, options to better manage your inventory, better controls for directing your teammates, better AI, less jaggy conversations and so forth. So most of the things that hold ME1 back from being an even better game.

Performance improvements on a platform with native controller support, for one.

Before people start coming at me talking about PC mods, note that I said NATIVE.

To be honest this seems possible with a patch, a remaster means you're probably recreating a lot of assets, it seems like a huge money waste for just a performance boost and controller support, on games that run fine on PC and play better with a mouse and keyboard. Unless I'm missing some serious technical issues?

I'll give you reasons so you can see.

-The Ps3 versions of all the games were performance issue galore. All that can be remedied in a remastered version on Ps4.
-The Ps3 owners of the original trilogy also had to play the games out of order by the time the 1st game came out, a remaster gives them an opportunity for a fresh start
-The touchpad on the Ds4 can be utilized for the power wheel

I had no idea the PS3 users had the short end of a stick. But those seem like issues that could be fixed by using a patch on the existing client. And now they want money just to fix those issues?

Other than the technical issues I dont see how it gives players a fresh start. Anyone can go buy the trilogy right now and experience it the way it was meant to be.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I thought EA didn't have Unreal license anymore, isn't that an issue? Sure, they could renew or something, but is it worth the money? Not sure how expensive renewing that license would be. And I seriously doubt they'll rebuild all 3 games in Frostbite, it would be like making 3 brand new games.

I have not played any remasters yet, but do developpers usually fix/update the most glaring issues of the original games, and by that I mean doing more than stable framerates and higher resolution? I don't expect a ME1 remaster to even make the Mako easier to control, improve inventory management or to make the combat as fun as ME3, because that's just a dream right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom